Author Topic: Don't think I'm going back to the gym  (Read 3931 times)

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
Don't think I'm going back to the gym
« on: September 18, 2006, 09:16:07 PM »
My membership expired on the 11th. I haven't been back to Gold's because I was looking for a cheaper gym around here. I think I'll just buy this.   http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1205433&cp=2367453.710958.1170115&parentPage=category

It's got everything. Bench in all angles, lat pulldown, preecher bench, squat rack behind the bench, leg curl and extension. 90% of my workout is free weights anyway so I don't have much need for the gym where i'm paying 40 dollars per month. The only thing I'll miss is the cable station for one tricep exercise and the seated row, I'll miss that most. Everything else is covered with this little set up. All the basic moves.

AVBG

Re: Don't think I'm going back to the gym
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 11:51:55 PM »
looks good. The real question is are you motivated enough to workout at home.. most people aren't.

ATOMIC

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 12:04:20 AM »
YEAH, it's hard when it is always just sitting right there, rather than soemthign you prepfor and then go out and do. But if you have the motivation, there is nothing better.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 12:08:13 AM »
I will always go to a public gym as long as that gym fits my needs. I couldn't work out at home or in a completly empty gym.
bodybuildersreality.com

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 12:21:15 AM »
Only way is to buy it and find out. ;D

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 03:24:04 AM »
i'm gonna work out with my brother. we'll both pay for it and of course pay for the iron. it'll be in his house. the motivation thing isn't the issue. the issue is i dont want to pay any more.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 04:45:29 AM »
Well if u have the motivation side taken care of then go for it....We have split my garage into 2 floors and built a wee gym on top floor. bench with incline etc, flat bench with high squat bars, Db's concept 2 rowing machine, stepper, bike, speed ball punch bag etc etc. But to be honest i never go ther really, i used it last night to train as i couldnt make it to the gym so did a shortened version of my normal workout (+the weights dont go heavy enough), but i never really train ther as it gets so hot and i cant seem to kick ass like i would in normal gym.

But if u and ur bro can mate then go for it, and save cash in the long run.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 04:49:45 AM »
To be honest tho if i was motivated enough to work out at home id want to buy a cage with pins to move up and down, dipping and pelldown/pullup attachment, bench (that can inclin/decline), couple bars, and Db's. That way i could squat/deadlift,bench (incline/flat/decline) dip,curl,row (db or BB) cleans pulldowns/pullups. what more do u want?

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 05:29:15 AM »
I pay 340 a year,
the owner regulary changes equipment,
there are a shitload of weights and dumbells in all sizes,
there are showers,
there's airconditioning,
there's a sauna,
it's like a 5 minute drive,
I don't have enough spareroom in my house save olympic barbells, weights and benches.

Why would I make a fuss about the money. I know not everybody earns that much (students fe), but most people can mis this amount. Even if you can't, a couple of days of extra work would earn you enough. 

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 06:35:51 AM »
40 bucks is nothing, plan a budget or something...

a gym will always be a better evironment unless it's a ballys or 24 hour...

there are too many DB's and machines you are going to miss out on...

a gym membership is worth every penny IMO.

i had a full gym(3k dollars worth) in my house for 3 years, i sold it now if that tells you anything. you WILL get bored of training at home, but it's a nice option. i still have an adjustable bench and 300 pounds worth of BB weights if i want to mess around. also have a treadmill and bike for cardio.

8)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 08:03:12 AM »
I would really tell you to try it before you buy it. Or some similar piece of equipment, for a hands on experience.A photo never tells the true story of any equipment. But that's not always possible when you buy a mail/E-mail order. One point you might consider is that those two supports for the bar (when doing BP's) do not have any saftey features on them in case the bar slips or you lose control. (One of the basic rule of training is that if you do benches alone be sure to have saftey stops or pins on the bench)  If doing DB BP/Inclines it appears that those same supports may get in your way. The lat attachment does look unstable and if doing leg extensions/leg curls you may have to readjust or move  some things out of the way. Looks like 3/16's tube construction (or less...just a guess on my part), so it would not be meant for anything too heavy. Don't know if you us a Olympic bar or an exercise bar but some times an Olympic bar does not adjust well to that type of smaller equipment. 

I don't know where you live but there should be some sporting goods stores (or Wal-Mart, Sears, Big Five, etc) than have equipment like that. This would give you a chance to check out the equipment in person, even sit in it. From the photo it looks a little crammed together. Or check out some local ad's for used training equipment, most always a good way to get bargins on hardly used stuff. Buying and having the equipment sent to you may add greatly to the original cost, as much as 1/4th or more in most cases.

On a personal note, I would prefer a power rack with cable attachments and dipping bars. Designed for heavier abuse and does have all the saftey features. But if your needs are to just keep in shape, than go for it. Good Luck.

If you

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2006, 12:47:25 PM »
$40/month??? hashaha.... i pay $75 AND IT'S WELL WORTH IT.... there is no way i could get the same workout at home unless I had $200000 to invest in equipment.... i budget for my membership because it's a priority in my life

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 01:35:31 PM »
My membership expired on the 11th. I haven't been back to Gold's because I was looking for a cheaper gym around here. I think I'll just buy this.   http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1205433&cp=2367453.710958.1170115&parentPage=category

It's got everything. Bench in all angles, lat pulldown, preecher bench, squat rack behind the bench, leg curl and extension. 90% of my workout is free weights anyway so I don't have much need for the gym where i'm paying 40 dollars per month. The only thing I'll miss is the cable station for one tricep exercise and the seated row, I'll miss that most. Everything else is covered with this little set up. All the basic moves.

knny187 is a good one to ask about these things

$40/month??? hashaha.... i pay $75 AND IT'S WELL WORTH IT.... there is no way i could get the same workout at home unless I had $200000 to invest in equipment.... i budget for my membership because it's a priority in my life

WOOO have you been snubbing us :'(

R

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 02:29:59 PM »

WOOO have you been snubbing us :'(

hey stella you fine ass woman you.... i have been mega busy with a project at work since May.... it's all good though... i got a promotion and now i promiss to be around more often... haven't dropped by the alphabets for a bit though...   :-[

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 03:24:55 AM »
i got some stuff. it's a bench with the leg extension, squat rack and preecher bench. i know that gyms are better but i just don't want to pay any more. i've also never had a training parter that stuck around for more than 2 months. now that it's free it will be easier. the decision is made. i'll get a pull up bar and bar dip thing soon. i don't have cables now... oh well. i think i'll live.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 03:41:39 AM »
  I have a pretty nice power rack and many sizes of dumbells and olympic plates.I also have a  homemade t bar made from an olympic bar and a roman chair. I have plenty of room too....but I have to agree with some of the others,it is always gona be better to work out in a gym,just as long as it is the right kind of gym.It is just too easy to be lazy and cut the work out short if you are at home.If I actually get my ass up and drive to the gym,and have others around me who would SEE me puss out and cut a workout short...well then I won't cut it short.For me it is just a mental thing I supose.

BigPopa

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 06:13:39 AM »
Not for nothin but you may want to check the weight rating on the cable before you buy that contraption.  Most of those at Dick's can't hold that much weight.  A friend of mine had one that was an upgrade from the pic you had and he had 120 on the lat pulldown cable, the thing snapped and he got a couple of stitches in the puss for his trouble.  Check it out first.  If your going to invest your own money do it right the first time.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 06:22:13 AM »
Looks good, gibber. Seems to have all the essentials. I'd probably want to buy a chinning bar (if there is such a thing) unless you can hang from the squat rack. Cheaper in the end than gym memberships.

I will always go to a public gym as long as that gym fits my needs. I couldn't work out at home or in a completly empty gym.

I don't mind working out alone. I like the peace of it all. Plus you never have to wait/change equipment because someone's using the squat rack! LOL

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »
hey stella you fine ass woman you.... i have been mega busy with a project at work since May.... it's all good though... i got a promotion and now i promiss to be around more often... haven't dropped by the alphabets for a bit though...   :-[

OK :D
R

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 09:53:25 PM »
yea so i got a bench with precher bench and leg extension/curl thing. the bench inclines and declines, sits upright, and today i bought a 300 pound olympic set the the rubber stuff around the plates. a weider set. Now i'm just gonna get a dipping thing and pull up bar. forget cables. oooh big deal. if i really want them so bad i'll buy an attachment that has the cable thing, it exists for the bench i bought. the one i bought by the way isn't the one in the picture. now i can get a decent training partner because they won't have to pay for a membership. every training partner i've had has either been another skinny friend of mine who saw me gain a lot of weight and decide to join with me and then quit in 3 months or my brother or sister who got fat and tried to lose weight and quit in 3 to 6 months themselves.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 10:12:11 PM »
No insult intended, but that really looks like a cheap (cheap as in low quality) piece of equipment  :-\
:

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 10:49:44 PM »
i have almost 1200 pounds worth of weights in my house with a crossover station ,lat pull down and row machine,power rack with movable and adjustable bench,any type of bar you can think of,curl machine,and the dumbells i have go from 20-150 i got almost every thing at a repo auction in one bid($2000) but at least 1-2 times a week i still go to the gym just to see were i stand with everyone else and yes i find it much easier and i do get much better results from working out at home by myself

and yes that does look like a cheap machine check these guys out i have done business with them for a while now and i really trust them www.newyorkbarbells.com

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 01:53:49 AM »
No insult intended, but that really looks like a cheap (cheap as in low quality) piece of equipment  :-\
i think it looks suittable for someone like mr. wong........  "who is 'mr. wong,'" you ask?.... he's the 70 year old chinese dude that cleans my gym....

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2006, 11:21:48 AM »
Not for nothin but you may want to check the weight rating on the cable before you buy that contraption.  Most of those at Dick's can't hold that much weight.
Some can get great home workouts; take plenty of time and actually use the equipment at the store prior to purchase to see if it's durable and smooth re: pulleys. Call the manufacturer to find out the max. loads it can take.

IMO you're better off spending a little more and getting something from Powertec, Body Solid or NY Barbells, that will be better long-term and give a better workout. Even cheaper bought used.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 03:05:42 PM »
Even cheaper bought used.

this is a good point... when buying weights, always shop for used items...