Author Topic: Anyone tried Arnold's workout?  (Read 5536 times)

Mysticobra

• Getbig II
  • GET BIG!
Anyone tried Arnold's workout?
« on: September 20, 2006, 01:13:13 PM »
I was looking at his book again and decided to try his workouts.  He has a Basic Level 1 and 2, then Advanced Level 1 and 2, and finally a Competition Level 1 and 2.  I have been working out for probably 8 years or so, but never super hardcore or anything.  I'm 6'0" and got up to 195lbs and was benching 340lbs.  I then decided to drop weight and cut up down to 165lbs.  I lost some muscle mass but have been working on regaining it as I now bench about 325lbs.  My question is has anyone done these workouts and if so what level should I be?  I started at the Advanced Level 1 and it seems crazy to me.  My partner and I cut out all the thighs and calves and we worked out super fast with high intensity the whole workout only resting while the other was lifting so about 45secs rest.  (We usually get 3 mins or so) The workout still took us 2 hrs!!!  Do you guys think that Basic is for a non professional, Advanced is for a pro but just not in competition mode and competition is for the pro getting ready to compete?  Because if advanced is for the average person that wants to get ripped it seems crazy to spend 3hrs a day 6 days a week in the gym.  Here is the workout we tried to finish.  We have since decided to modify it working out 5 days a week doing Monday/Fri: Chest, back and abs.  Weds/Sat: Shoulders, arms, abs. Tues: Legs and abs.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday

Chest

Barbell Bench Press                   4 sets: 1 set of 15 rep warm-up;
                                             sets of 10, 8, 6, 4 reps—
                                             stripping last two sets   
Barbell Incline Bench Press         4 sets: same formula as Bench Presses
                                             Every third workout, substitute Dumbbell Presses and Incline Dumbbell Presses
                                                       for barbell exercises.
Dumbbell Flys                          3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps
Parallel Bar Dips                       3 sets of 15, 10, 8 reps
Pullovers                                3 sets of 15 reps each

Back
Chin-Ups                               4 sets: 10 reps minimum each set
                                              Use a dumbbell fastened around your waist for greater resistance; do chins to the
                                              rear one workout, to the front the next.
Close-Grip Chins                     4 sets of 10 reps each
T-Bar Rows                           4 sets of 15, 12, 8, 6 reps
Bent-Over Barbell Rows           4 sets of 8 to 12 reps

Thighs
Squats                                 5 sets of 20 rep warm-up; 10, 8, 6, 4 reps
Front Squats                         4 sets of 10, 8, 8, 6 reps
Hack Squats                         3 sets of 10 reps each
Leg Curls                              4 sets of 20, 10, 8, 6 reps
Standing Leg Curls                 4 sets of 10 reps each
Straight-Leg Deadlifts            3 sets of 10 reps each

Calves
Donkey Calf Raises                4 sets of 10 reps each
Standing Calf Raises              4 sets of 15, 10, 8, 8 reps

Abdominals
Crunches                            3 sets of 25 reps
Bent-Over Twists                 100 reps each side
Machine Crunches                3 sets of 25 reps
Crunches                            50 reps

Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday

Shoulders

Behind-the-Neck Barbell Presses             5 sets of 15 rep warm-up; 10, 8, 8, 6 reps
Lateral Raises                                     4 sets of 8 reps each
Bent-Over Dumbbell Laterals                  4 sets of 8 reps each
Dumbbell Shrugs                                  3 sets of 10 reps each

Upper Arms
Standing Barbell Curls                          5 sets of 15, 10, 8, 6, 4 reps
Incline Dumbbell Curls                          4 sets of 8 reps each
Concentration Curls                            3 sets of 8 reps each
Lying Triceps Extensions                      4 sets of 15, 10, 8, 6 reps
Triceps Cable Pressdowns                    3 sets of 8 reps each
One-Arm Triceps Extensions                 3 sets of 10 reps each

Forearms
Barbell Wrist Curls                              4 sets of 10 reps each
Reverse Wrist Curls                            3 sets of 10 reps each

Calves
Seated Calf Raises                            4 sets of 10 reps each

Abdominals
Reverse Crunches                             4 sets of 25 reps
Seated Twists                                 100 reps each side
Vertical Bench Crunches                    4 sets of 25 reps

Mysticobra

• Getbig II
  • GET BIG!
Re: Anyone tried Arnold's workout?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 01:16:12 PM »
Sorry about the format on the workout.  I had it in columns on word.  The way it showed up here it has all the workouts then below them all in order is the sets and reps.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 02:10:21 PM »
Sorry about the format on the workout.  I had it in columns on word.  The way it showed up here it has all the workouts then below them all in order is the sets and reps.

I suppose you're natural.

In that case, I believe you will become overtrained real fast on this routine.

Solution: Make all excersises into 2 sets.

Start off with that.

If you start to get sore elbows or other sore joints, report back.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 04:32:42 PM »
That's arnold's routine,ya gotta find your own.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 05:09:43 PM »
That's arnold's routine,ya gotta find your own.

....waste of posting space...

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 05:10:04 PM »
Dodger makes a excellent point. Worth it's weight in gold as far as training goes.But if you still want to do that program it's your choice:

That does sound like an old time volume workout plan (meant to be done with a workout partner(s)) that I use to read about. The happy pursuit of the pump. Dave Draper comes to mind with this type of program, but not so much Arnold from what I heard from some old BB'ing vet's. I'll agree with HedgeHog to a certain degree but I would cut back even more on some sets, if your keeping all those exercises.  Mon/wed/fri alone you were doing 72 total sets a workout. Those six days a week can really add up to frying your CNS. Even with your new 5 day plan I would suggest cutting the sets to just one each exercise, per body part, and see what happens. When starting a new program it may always be a good idea to start at the lowest common donominator. If results are not noticeable than increase the sets to 2 a exercise. But you would never need anymore than that with so many exercises per muscle group.

I hope you and your Bud will take a week or two off from training before going into you new designed program. Be sure to give some feedback here as to how your progressing. Great thing about BB'ing is the chance to explore different aspects of training. I myself would only train 3 days a week on this type of workout and I'm an easy gainer. Good Luck.

Sljck-NjnjaRjder

• Getbig IV
  • Nobody is jealous of a loser!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 06:04:08 PM »
I would say go for Arnold's workout if you have a full month to dedicate to just working out.  IMO, you have to literally have unlimited sleep, workout, and eating time in your schedule.  Full time jobs, houses, and families will not work well in pursuing Arnold's workout schedule.  Just my .02. 

But regardless....go for it...you have nothing to lose, but everything to gain.
Sleep Big.

L.T.

• Getbig II
  • lift big
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 08:43:01 PM »
do his  workout, but do each bodypart on its own day. mon chest tues back wed rest thurs shoulders fri arms sat legs sun rest, you will get much better results

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 03:11:28 AM »
I would say go for Arnold's workout if you have a full month to dedicate to just working out.  IMO, you have to literally have unlimited sleep, workout, and eating time in your schedule.  Full time jobs, houses, and families will not work well in pursuing Arnold's workout schedule.  Just my .02. 

But regardless....go for it...you have nothing to lose, but everything to gain.
Don't forget that Arnold was sponsored by weider with certain supplements, and it wasn't even illegal in those days.

Mysticobra

• Getbig II
  • GET BIG!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 02:11:00 PM »
Ok...well my partners and I did his workout on monday, but we cut back to just doing his full chest workout, full back workout, and full ab workout.  The chest workout wasn't too bad cuz we usually hit chest pretty hard, the intensity was tough though.  When we got to back I was pretty tired, but managed to finish and then abs are a breeze.  Overall, I really enjoyed the workout.  It was new, challenging and I really liked his ab workouts I think they are going to get my abs ripped.  We took tues. off cuz my partner was busy.  Weds we did full shoulders, bis and tris, and abs.  Both workouts took about 2hrs, but I think we had more intensity on Monday because I only had one partner whereas Weds I had two and I was really the only one motivating them! (I hate that!) I through in cardio on tues and I'm going to go for a run today.  Then we are doing thighs, calves, and abs on friday. Chest and back on sat. and Shoulders and arms on Sunday.  The next week the days off are going to change.  I doubt I will be able to do any cardio but thats ok cuz I want to try to put on some weight again.  I will have class all day tues. and thurs.  I plan to do this workout for 5 weeks then take a week off and examine how I liked it.  If its too much I'm going to drop down to his basic level 2 plan for 5 weeks and so on.  I will keep everyone posted, but so far I like it!

Mysticobra

• Getbig II
  • GET BIG!
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 02:15:06 PM »
O btw, yes this week might seem crazy I agree.  But I do NOTHING ALL DAY long!  I just wait to workout right now, you wouldn't believe how excited I am to get back to school.  So, I know most of you think it might be a bad choice to work that hard, but I eat a lot and sleep about 10hrs a day and then sit and play NCAA 07.  On the weekends I party a little too hard, but this weekend will be the last so it shouldn't effect the results of the new program.

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 03:00:13 PM »
....waste of posting space...

lol. iwas thinking of trying arnolds d-bol for breakfast technique. Hopefully I can make some gains.