Author Topic: seated rows vs. barbell rows  (Read 2599 times)

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
seated rows vs. barbell rows
« on: September 20, 2006, 07:32:41 PM »
are these interchangeable exercises??? i was thinking instead of doing bent over rows like usual maybe i could switch them with seated cable rows every other week to switch things up a little bit...also are seated rows a good exercise for mass or just a finishing exercise?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: seated rows vs. barbell rows
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 07:56:38 PM »
Close but not the same; alternate them week to week, along with T-bars, hammer rows or 1-arm rows. I'd suggest removing the least effective one(s), the ones that you don't feel as much in the muscles; don't do them just because you're supposed to.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 07:59:35 PM »
Close but not the same; alternate them week to week, along with T-bars, hammer rows or 1-arm rows.
What does a typical back workout look for you? Do you do back on it's own day? I imagine that would be kinda hard to do considering you are also an advocate of higher frequency training (hitting the muscle atleast twice a week)
follow the arrows

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 08:50:44 PM »
no way!!!!!! I always do bb rows... you can chaange the grips if you want to switch up..

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 03:17:11 AM »
Close but not the same; alternate them week to week, along with T-bars, hammer rows or 1-arm rows. I'd suggest removing the least effective one(s), the ones that you don't feel as much in the muscles; don't do them just because you're supposed to.

Me same thought :-*

Just don't chicken out to test your strength and go really heavy. If it still doesn't do much, eliminatie the exercise.

@Alexxx
Ever thougt working in a Jackie Chan Hong Kong movie? You should really consider it, you will blend in perfectly.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 07:19:11 AM »
What does a typical back workout look for you? Do you do back on it's own day?
There are so many good options that the best thing is to try each approach for a while, maybe 4-6 weeks each, and see which is more effective and more appealing for you: back by itself, back as part of pulling muscles that day, back with bis, etc.

On a more general basis i'd suggest dividing upper back work into 3 foods groups: rowing, chin/pulldown & pullovers: chose one exercise for each group and include it every workout or rotate 2 out of the 3 each workout. For example if you do 2 of 3 do a row and a pullover exercise in the first workout, in the second do a row and chin/pulldown, etc.

Once you've gone through all the exercises and disgarded the least effective ones, you can then also try using supersets or trisets with the more effective ones you use. For me i don't even both with BB rows any more because they're the least effective IMO.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 07:50:54 AM »
Somewhat similar. But the BB row will call upon the lower back and ham's more than the sitting position of a cable row will. Keeping the stability of the body during the bentover row depends greatly on the lower back/glutes and hams. To a lesser degree, the abs. You are also fighting gravity throughout the exercise. You can get a better stretch with the cable row, if that's what you want.

For any complete BB'ing lat/back workout you might include an over head pulling motion (chin, pulldown, etc) as well as an extension motion (pullovers, lat machine front pulldown, etc). The BB row is a pull starting from the front of the body to the body. These can handle the main functions of the lat's/back in one workout, if grouped together.

Example:

Chins..overhead pulldown
BB row..front of body to body
Straight arm pullover..extension motion

These three movements in one workout can work the lat's/back very well. Good luck.

side bar: is a clip of Alexxx taking a dump really needed?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 10:24:21 AM »
I allow you to train that way small fry.

i think it's time for another alexxx timeout Prin!   ;D

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 03:28:04 PM »
right now my back day looks like this...
pulldowns  4 sets
barbell rows 4 sets
dead lifts 3-5 working sets

dumbell curl 3 sets
barbell curls 3 sets

i tried doing cable rows instead of bb rows last week and felt it more in my back than the bb rows so i was hoping i could do them instead. But i dont want to switch if cable rows are not a good exercise for mass.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 05:45:07 PM »
I've been doing good lately! Its been over a month! ;D

i hear sarcasm is planning a surprise party for you... bring your own lube

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 07:11:59 PM »
not even comparable. BB rows all day every day.

stealth_swimmer

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 12:14:02 PM »
They are similar but not enough to be interchangeable. I do some sort of barbell row every back workout as well as usually having seated cable rows. I usually use barbell rows, t-bar rows, lat pulldowns, and the last exercise is usually something I change every one or two weeks. I usually use seated cable rows or one-arm dumbell rows.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 05:14:34 PM »
Yeah a made a special one to satisfy even the deepest of your needs.

... next time try it in russian.... you haven't figured out "the english" yet...

krazee

• Getbig III
  • It's all about the next shirt size....
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 02:25:00 AM »
OH OH OH.........OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!
Just spot me BITCH!!!

ignorance

• Getbig III
  • https://www.facebook.com/ResearchBodybuilding
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 07:41:54 AM »
I say change bb rows for seat rows for one month and see how it feels and goes. If you don't like it then back to bb rows.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 08:35:25 AM »
I believe Alexxx is of Ukrainian extraction, which is a seperate ethnic structure than slavic Russian. The native dialect is also different. So maybe Alexx should set his computer correctly so his posts are not so lost in translation to English. I think the lad is just misunderstood and he is quite humble. It is the language barrier that makes him appear as such a whack job. Hope this help. Good Luck.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 05:06:09 PM »
I believe Alexxx is of Ukrainian extraction, which is a seperate ethnic structure than slavic Russian. The native dialect is also different. So maybe Alexx should set his computer correctly so his posts are not so lost in translation to English. I think the lad is just misunderstood and he is quite humble. It is the language barrier that makes him appear as such a whack job. Hope this help. Good Luck.

....yawn... alexxx stop using your second account to defend your primary one...   ;D

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 12:22:07 PM »
Wooo: I do not have or use a pseudonym on this site. I am JPM. I am not Alexxx or anyone else. My last post was written with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Pity that you didn't understand that. Good luck in your further intelluecual and physical pursuits.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 01:19:03 PM »
Wooo: I do not have or use a pseudonym on this site. I am JPM. I am not Alexxx or anyone else. My last post was written with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Pity that you didn't understand that. Good luck in your further intelluecual and physical pursuits.

hahaha... i was teasing...   ;D