Author Topic: Advice for creating a training program  (Read 1492 times)

DB

• Getbig I
Advice for creating a training program
« on: September 21, 2006, 11:43:44 AM »
I need some clarity on certain training factors:

1) how many times a week should a body part be trained?????

2) how many set etc for a body part

3) when you do say 3x8 reps do you only goto failure on the last set?  I.E choose a weight where you can say get 8,8,6 then push the last set to failure until you can hit 8 then up the weight????

I have trained in the past for quiet sometime but feel that i was doing far to much,for eaxmple: I was doing 4 Exercise for Chest 3x6-8 for each and i was taking each set to failure!! now time is an issue for me i want to make sure im following the correct path and getting the most out of my work outs...... I read Flex etc but find that most of the info in there is aimed at the advance trainer which is quiet frustrating... I am sure there are other people out there who would also like this sort of advise....

Cheers

DB

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Advice for creating a training program
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 03:03:38 PM »
there are so many answers to this type of question...

what are your weight lifting goals?

DB

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 02:00:21 AM »
At Present my Goal is to increase Muscle Mass.....

As you say there are many diff angles on this..

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 02:29:29 AM »
To add muscle mass you need heavy weight. However, heavy doesn't mean the one that you will die from trying to lift. Heavy means the one you can squeeze out min of 6 and max of 8 reps. Note, these should be proper reps - if you're swinging, curving, half-lifting - the weight is too heavy, take something lighter.

You can go the route of first building bulk, and then working on the detail and difinition. For that. I'd suggest hitting every body part once a week with 3 warmup sets of 20-15-12 reps for the first exercise per bodypart and 3-4 heavy sets of 6-8 reps (no need for warmaup sets on exercises other than the first one). I would do 5 exercises per bodypart. Abs depending on your current ab condition.

Alternatevely, you could combine mass building with detail/definition. In that case I would recommend hitting each bidypart twice a week with one heavy one light session per bodypart. Keep the same rputine as above for heavy days but reduce exercises to 3 per body part (warmup sets on the first exercise per body part). Keep the same 3 exercises on the light days but use light weights and a min of 15 reps per set. Substitute the free weights of the 3 exercises with analogous machine/cable exercises on the light days if you want.

Regards

DB

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 04:28:41 AM »
Thanx for your reply.....  You state going heavy all out on every set is this not to much? also 5 excercise for everybody part?  5 for Back (large) 5 for Biceps (Small) would this not push my arms to the point of over training???????

Also you say light/heavy days for Bulking/Detail... would it not make more sense to simply follow the heavy program but add CV to get rid of the fat ??????

I used to train 3x6-8 going heavy on each so hitting 8,6,6, but i recently read an article stating that you should use a weight where you can hit 8,8,6  then work up to 8 on the last set then add about 1-2lb of weight and start over...

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 04:59:17 PM »
hey bro whats up yea we have all done more volume in the past.
i think im finally at the amount of volume i need for rest and growth.
ill write u a quick routine and hope it helps

monday
chest first two sets of first exersize are warms ups only last should be to failure.
flat bench 12-10-8-6
incline bench 3x10
incline dumbell flyes 3x10
triceps
close grip bench presses 12-10-8-6
lying one arm dumbell ext 3x10
tuesday
back
barbell dead lifts 12-10-8-6
chin ups 3x10
one arm dumbell rows 3x10
calves