Author Topic: Dumbbell Squats  (Read 3225 times)

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
Dumbbell Squats
« on: September 28, 2006, 07:04:35 PM »
do any of you do these where you hold the db's at your sides and squat? i'm looking for something to do instead of hacks along with my barbell squats and leg presses, my knees just aren't tolerating hacks and before someone suggests front squats i don't want to put more stress on my shoulders in addition to regular squats, i did them today after i got done squatting and i elevated my heels on a 45lb. plate and i worked up to 125's for 8 and they felt pretty good in both the teardrop and the outer sweep, what do you think?
Jaejonna rows 125!!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: Dumbbell Squats
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 07:08:46 PM »
I think I might try that since I my back and knees are killing me. Just go higher reps on those since the weight is gonna get too light.
just push some weight!

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 07:12:11 PM »
I think I might try that since I my back and knees are killing me. Just go higher reps on those since the weight is gonna get too light.
yeah, i'm not looking to kill it on these after regular squats, i'm just looking for a good movement to replace hacks to get some blood into the lower quads.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »
Might try using a trap/shrug bar. Narural grip like the DB's. And the bar/handles don't rub against the legs like a DB might. The shins should be out of the way.Tend to hold the posture better. Great with heels raised. Good Luck.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 07:47:22 PM »
Might try using a trap/shrug bar. Narural grip like the DB's. And the bar/handles don't rub against the legs like a DB might. The shins should be out of the way.Tend to hold the posture better. Great with heels raised. Good Luck.
yeah i know i wish my gym had one i used to love that thing, what do you think of the db idea, JPM?
Jaejonna rows 125!!

AVBG

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 07:57:39 PM »
do any of you do these where you hold the db's at your sides and squat? i'm looking for something to do instead of hacks along with my barbell squats and leg presses, my knees just aren't tolerating hacks and before someone suggests front squats i don't want to put more stress on my shoulders in addition to regular squats, i did them today after i got done squatting and i elevated my heels on a 45lb. plate and i worked up to 125's for 8 and they felt pretty good in both the teardrop and the outer sweep, what do you think?

I train at home without a squat rack, so I do these in place of back squats.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 08:11:09 PM »
I train at home without a squat rack, so I do these in place of back squats.
what do you think of them?
Jaejonna rows 125!!

AVBG

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 08:16:12 PM »
what do you think of them?

They are alot easier on the back & neck, the range of motion is better than I thought it would be. I use wriststraps to be able to use a decent weight. And until I upgrade to buying a legpress or squat rack they are the centre of my leg workout.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 08:25:29 PM »
Split squats
:

krazee

• Getbig III
  • It's all about the next shirt size....
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 11:44:22 PM »
I actually do these as a super set with front squats, the burn is super intense. :o
Just spot me BITCH!!!

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 06:59:02 AM »
theres a leg machine called a sled you lye on your back pads on your shoulders.
plat form in front great machine.....

or i use the short straight bar i put 45s one on each side and do walking lunges.
p

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 08:23:20 AM »
Sarcasm: DB's are good if only a straight pump is wanted, raised heels or not. . The lovely Princess L has a picture of the Bulgarian squat. Different name, same exercise by what I can judge by the photo. I guess in her part of the world it's called split squats...whatever) where the knee is pretty much in line with the toe. Gives a more direct influence on the quads/hips/hams themselves. Step-up's are also a favorable movement with a DB. Sissy squats can be ideal for your purpose.  If you want a burn, along with a great pump, might try those. If the diet is good, than Sissy squats tend to bring out deep cut's in the quads for a lot of trainee's..Don't need any extra weight if your doing these the corect way. A lot of track atheles do a form of these for a better quad stretch and flexability. After 20 reps become easy, than hold a BB plate at the chest for extera resistence. Good Luck.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 08:34:33 AM »
Sarcasm: DB's are good if only a straight pump is wanted, raised heels or not. . The lovely Princess L has a picture of the Bulgarian squat. Different name, same exercise by what I can judge by the photo. I guess in her part of the world it's called split squats...whatever) where the knee is pretty much in line with the toe. Gives a more direct influence on the quads/hips/hams themselves. Step-up's are also a favorable movement with a DB. Sissy squats can be ideal for your purpose.  If you want a burn, along with a great pump, might try those. If the diet is good, than Sissy squats tend to bring out deep cut's in the quads for a lot of trainee's..Don't need any extra weight if your doing these the corect way. A lot of track atheles do a form of these for a better quad stretch and flexability. After 20 reps become easy, than hold a BB plate at the chest for extera resistence. Good Luck.
no, i'm talking about straight up two legged squats holding db's, it almost looks like a db deadlift really but i already go fairly heavy on squats my top set in my last workout was 545 for 5 to parallel so i like these as a replacement for hacks which i love but my knees can't take them anymore.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 08:55:36 AM »
OK...I think DB's are a good idea. But if the knee's are overworked and need rest than you my might consider not doing the DB squats with raised heels for awhile. That is, unless your just planning on repping out with light weights. Good Luck.

Side bar: when I post it's not just for one person. There are hundreds of guy's out there who are reading everyone's post. So I just toss out some suggests that might appeal to a lot of trainee's, not any special one. Shotgun approach I guess. Probably only 5% of the people who come to this site actually post anything at all. Like talk radio, only a very few will call in. Media reports say around that 5% again.

If anyone wants more information about training they might go to my blog site: www.Samoan Power/We Have Come For Your Women.org.  Good Luck.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 08:57:59 AM »
OK...I think DB's are a good idea. But if the knee's are overworked and need rest than you my might consider not doing the DB squats with raised heels for awhile. That is, unless your just planning on repping out with light weights. Good Luck.

Side bar: when I post it's not just for one person. There are hundreds of guy's out there who are reading everyone's post. So I just toss out some suggests that might appeal to a lot of trainee's, not any special one. Shotgun approach I guess. Probably only 5% of the people who come to this site actually post anything at all. Like talk radio, only a very few will call in. Media reports say around that 5% again.

If anyone wants more information about training they might go to my blog site: www.Samoan Power/We Have Come For Your Women.org.  Good Luck.
are you Samoan?
Jaejonna rows 125!!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 09:15:04 AM »
Duh!!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 01:20:40 PM »
Princess L has a picture of the Bulgarian squat. Different name, same exercise by what I can judge by the photo. I guess in her part of the world it's called split squats...whatever) where the knee is pretty much in line with the toe. Gives a more direct influence on the quads/hips/hams themselves.

I actually do call them Bulgarian too (hence the pic name), but in case someone was to do a search, I didn't want it confused with this one.  I find the spinal load to be more difficult to stay targeted.  Since the knees were the original issue, I felt the DB one to be more appropriate.  Probably a horse apiece for an experienced guy.
:

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2006, 02:27:15 PM »
i do these after back squats to they feel great a good way to get another squat in.   i used to do barbell hacks squats but its such a pain in the ass.   i think dumbell squats are a good way to focus directly on the quads kinda like a isolation mass type movment

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 06:41:40 PM »
I actually do call them Bulgarian too (hence the pic name), but in case someone was to do a search, I didn't want it confused with this one.  I find the spinal load to be more difficult to stay targeted.  Since the knees were the original issue, I felt the DB one to be more appropriate.  Probably a horse apiece for an experienced guy.

thesew look cute, but i bet step ups are easier when using heavy weight and they are probably more effective because of the forward motion of the torso during the lift

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 04:04:07 PM »
Weighted step ups are just as good and a lot easier on the knees.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2006, 04:17:51 PM »
Weighted step ups are just as good and a lot easier on the knees.

nice pumpkin

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 05:04:25 PM »
Why not try walking lunges??

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 06:37:10 PM »
Why not try walking lunges??
both step ups and walking BB lunges have their place in my leg workouts... i do them on alternate weeks

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 07:05:36 PM »
The Bulgarian squat was developedand used  in the old eastern block (including Russia/Hungry) by Olympic lifting coaches, as far as I know. It highlights the glutes and hams, as well as the thighs. The knee was not to go beyond the plain of the toes. In other words, it was a learning exercise as well as a strength movement. And because using one leg at a time made sure that the total leg/hip/hams shared equal development and strength with the other leg. Step-ups, a similar exercise but not exploiting the same exact function of the Burgarian squat, is another eastern block developed movement. Doing either will aid the regular squating power strongly. (Just to mention, a one legged squat is not the same as a step-up. The working legs is usually along side the body while doing that exercise rather than in front when doing Bulgarian squats or step-ups)

With the Bulgarian squat, the extra weight is usually held in front of the body. Some will just hold a BB plate/DB near the chest area. Or very advanced men will hold a BB, as if  doing a front squat. The step-up is usually done with the BB resting on the neck like in a regular squat. In either case DB's can be used in both exercises, though the dynamics will change a bit. BB'ers might pay attention to working each leg one at a time in regular leg training. This can insure equal balance and leg development. Good Luck.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 06:25:01 PM »
A lot of guys are surprised that dumbbell squats are effective.  The natural thing to question is that if you use say 300 to 400 for your sets with a barbell, how are you going to find big enough dumbbells?  For some reason it seems that if you go really deep and just about brush the floor with the dumbbells it's a really tough exercise.  Using straps and going low makes this an effective alternative to barbell squats. I hold the dumbbells at my sides when I squat and I don't deadlift it from the front. 

I had the same questions about dumbbell shrugs.  I always thought that I would never find big enough dumbbells. To my surprise your don't need to equal your barbell weight to get a great trap workout with dumbbells.