Author Topic: Body Weight Set-Point  (Read 3773 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Body Weight Set-Point
« on: October 04, 2006, 01:08:17 PM »
  I usually stay about the same weight within about 5 pounds +-.  So that is my set point.   

How long do you think you'd have to stay at a new weight (in my case lower) to reset it to that weight? 

Not that you could then go eat everything in sight, but you wouldn't have to be as strict because you are not fighting the weight your body wants to be?

I hope I have explained this so it is understandable.
      :)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: Body Weight Set-Point
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 03:38:39 PM »
I know what your saying, I think that would fall under your genitics/body type of how it naturally wants to go...for me my body wants to be at a less weight naturally, I could EASILY loose 25 pounds if I had to but I am working for the bigger look so I purposely do less cardio and Purposely eat more calories. IN your case you could drop lets say 15 lbs but you would have to work at keeping that, I don't think it would ever just stay there. thats just my opinion maybe it would.
bodybuildersreality.com

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 06:43:11 PM »
  I usually stay about the same weight within about 5 pounds +-.  So that is my set point.   

How long do you think you'd have to stay at a new weight (in my case lower) to reset it to that weight? 

Not that you could then go eat everything in sight, but you wouldn't have to be as strict because you are not fighting the weight your body wants to be?

I hope I have explained this so it is understandable.

i suggest you have your agmented breasts re-aumented... then you could lose 10 pounds, keep the same set-point and provide even more pleasure to a select few members of mankind

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 10:36:16 AM »
So I should add more non body weight, and then drop even more pounds to offset that additional weight?   ::)

I think it is possible to reset your set-point.   Obese people that lose weight do it all the time.    I'd think you'd have to get a bit below where you want to be and maintain that for awhile (months -?) and then that would be your +- weight. 

yes obese people do loose weight, but they have to work at it and then maintain it. If they don't they will start gaining that weight back.
bodybuildersreality.com

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 11:03:52 AM »
  then I might as well add chocolate back into my diet.   ::)

I can maintain with it in it.
there ya go, thats the way to do it, then if you chose to do a diet for 6 weeks or something, chocolate can come out :'( and you can shoot for 10lbs loss or something.
bodybuildersreality.com

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 11:37:30 AM »
I know Lyle & co. have discussed this many times.  I just can't find specific threads at the moment.  You might want to register over there and ask.  www.bodyrecomposition.co m
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 05:36:40 PM »
  then I might as well add chocolate back into my diet.   ::)

I can maintain with it in it.

one question..... how would less of you, be a good thing?    ;D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 07:34:52 PM »
Guess what?  ;)
Lyle answered your question - B4 you asked  :P
I just opened a newsletter from Sept.

Q: My question is in regards to set point.  This summer I reached an all time low body fat of 11%.  I would suspect that this is lower than my natural set point as I was hungry all the time.  Currently I am between 13-14% body fat.  Is it possible to reset your set point to a lower point if you stay at it long enough?  If so, will the constant hunger dissipate?

A: This is a good question that I've been pursuing for a while.

In looking at the research in both humans and animal models (mostly rats), I've seen nothing to suggest that setpoint ever spontaneously resets itself downwards (note: it can go up under certain conditions such as puberty, childbirth/pregnancy and even chronic obesity).  So 2-5 years post-diet, metabolic rate is still slightly depressed and it never seems to magically correct itself.  In both humans and rats.

I suspect that, if setpoint were to ever adjust itself downwards, it would take years of staying lean.  Even there the research just doesn't really support that it does.  This is one of those depressing places where it looks like things only move one way and that's the wrong way.

So, you ask, how do people get and stay lean long-term?  It's probably behavioral, the habits that got them lean stay in place the longer they remain lean; they stay lean through sheer willpower and good habits.  And folks are probably a little bit hungry all the time.  That's the price for playing.

One thing you might try is to allow yourself the occasional free meal or short-refeed (5+ hours of high carbs). This helps to bump leptin levels (involved to a great degree in this) but shouldn't negatively impact on your body composition.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 08:32:55 PM »
Step 1:  Denial

Lies!!!  All Lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     

Step 2:  Anger  

>:(

Step 3:

Acceptance
:-\

:'(
:

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 04:36:13 AM »
What you need to do is to add muscle.

Simple ass that.

Become more muscular.

The weight isn't important. The appearance/strength is.

For quality gains, I would recommend trying being hyper caloric for a week, then stay iso caloric for two or three weeks.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 09:51:26 AM »
What you need to do is to add muscle.

For quality gains, I would recommend trying being hyper caloric for a week, then stay iso caloric for two or three weeks.

How many calories above maintenance should you be during the hyper-caloric week?  What about protein/carb/fat percentages?