Author Topic: UFC 100 Official Thread  (Read 45577 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
UFC 100 In-Depth: Can Michael Bisping Out-wrestle Dan Henderson?
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 06:14:41 AM »
The question has been brought up ever since the confirmation of the bout between the two Ultimate Fighter coaches, and it remains one of the most critical questions involving the stylistic matchup between the two fighters. Can Michael Bisping actually out-wrestle a former Olympic wrestler?

In order to really delve deep into the heart of the idea of Bisping matching Dan Henderson's skills in the wrestling department, it's vital to breakdown the fight stylistically as to what each fighter offers. Historically, Dan Henderson is a fighter who doesn't truly fight to his own strengths. He's been cast by some fans as a "Gurgelian" type of fighter in that he mainly battles it out with top competition by unleashing powerful overhands rather than resorting to his wrestling base to punish opponents on the floor.

While I wouldn't necessarily make the comparison to Jorge Gurgel's mindset, his style doesn't play to his strong suit all of the time. Henderson isn't likely looking for a 'Fight of the Night' honor like Gurgel, but he probably feels that his right hand can ultimately end the fight in quick and devastating fashion. I wouldn't argue with that idea, but when a fighter is taking on some of the toughest competition in both the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions, being completely one-dimensional isn't a sure-fire way to dominating the competition.

Looking at Henderson's past performances, it's obvious that he still possesses some phenomenal take down defense due to his background in wrestling. Rich Franklin had a tough time stacking up against Henderson's defensive wrestling, and he had an even tough time escaping the powerful shots from Henderson's loaded right hand. Up-and-comer Rousimar Palhares found it exceptionally tough to take down Henderson, but he did manage to put Henderson in trouble at one point during the match. The difference between the two fights is that Franklin had the tools standing to be effective while Palhares ultimately had to get the fight to the ground to win.

Furthermore, many fans push arguments regarding Henderson's lack of wrestling ability from his PRIDE days. Specifically, there were a few PRIDE battles in which opponents with inferior wrestling were able to get Henderson down repeatedly due to his over aggressive style in that era. While I think Henderson has become a bit more patient during his reign in the UFC, this argument does bring up some interesting questions in this matchup if Henderson tries to pummel Bisping with overhands early. It wouldn't be unfathomable that Henderson makes the same mistakes from his PRIDE days with the possibility that Bisping could potentially put Henderson in a bad position from that mistake.

The 'Rampage' Jackson fight is a very interesting addition to the argument because Jackson isn't a world beater in the wrestling department, yet he was able to hold his own against Henderson. With Jackson helping Bisping train for this match along with Bisping himself stating that he intends to beat Henderson in the wrestling game, it gives me a notion that we could begin seeing an even more evolved Michael Bisping.

Wolfslair wrestling coach Zach Light offered his view of how the matchup will go to Fighters Only magazine:

"He will take Dan Henderson down more than one time in the fight. He will, that’s how he is going to win the fight. That is how I see it. When they start trading I think Mike will win the scrambles. Dan is a great scrambler but in a scramble situation I think Mike is going to come out on top every time. [Bisping] is fighting a guy that I have competed against, in the sense that Rampage fought him before. What I have done is basically helped him complete his strategy for the fight. Wrestling-wise I am probably one of the best MMA-wrestling trainers in the world at the moment. There is no doubt in my mind that he will end this fight before the third round."

While Light is a very good wrestling coach, it isn't exactly convincing considering Bisping's past performances against Matt Hamill and Rashad Evans. Light also trains Cheick Kongo, who seemingly had no answer to Cain Velasquez's top notch wrestling credentials.

Ultimately, I see this fight going down much like the Franklin battle with a lot of additional take down attempts. If Bisping can create a scramble, he may be able to continually punish Henderson, but there is always the one-shot right hand knockout in Henderson's arsenal. We know that Bisping's footwork, speed, and technical boxing skills have improved significantly since his stint on The Ultimate Fighter, but it's obvious that Henderson has also improved since his days in PRIDE. He has become much more patient in using his powerful overhand to punish opponents while remaining less committed in his stance. It truly makes it a much more formidable task to try to change levels on Henderson while he unloads.

Can Michael Bisping out-wrestle Dan Henderson? History would say there isn't much of a chance of that, but then again... is Bisping capable of evolving into a top notch athlete at the pace that guys like Kenny Florian and Rashad Evans seem to have done in a much shorter amount of time than most fighters in the UFC?

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
GSP VS THIAGO
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 06:15:06 AM »

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
UFC 100 Preview: Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 06:17:46 AM »

"Bisping is no better on his feet that I am. He definitely doesn't have more power than I do. The only thing Bisping has going for him is his cardio."

"I'm a better fighter, more experienced. I just want to make sure my conditioning is there."

"When I watch Henderson, I don't see a problem for me to be honest. I've learned how to deal with wrestlers. I know 20 ways to get back up to my feet. Now I'm virtually impossible to hold down."

"I very rarely get hit. I'm going to be too quick for Henderson. I haven't been knocked out. Henderson is slowing down. There's no reason why I shouldn't win the fight, if I fight at my full potential."

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Greg Jackson on UFC 100
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 06:18:49 AM »

UFC 100 Preview: Greg Jackson's Mixed Martial Arts

"When we are scouting a fighter for a fight… Yeah, we do watch a ton of film. We try to indentify what he's good at, what's he's not good at. Understand my fighter, what he's good at, what he's not good at. And then play to our strengths and their weaknesses."

"And a lot of it, sometimes you can see big things, sometimes you see little things. But it's a really intricate science for myself."

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
UFC 100 Preview: Ladies and Gentlemen, Yoshihiro "Sexyama" Akiyama
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 06:19:17 AM »
UFC 100 will see the promotional debut of one of Zuffa's biggest ever MMA signings. The funny part is almost no one watching will care. Yoshihiro Akiyama is the definition of "big in Japan" and unlike Spinal Tap, he doesn't have a decade's worth of hits here statewide.

He's easily the most popular Japanese fighter to fight in the U.S. for an American promotion in the history of modern MMA. Dave Meltzer explains:

... Akiyama is, with the exception of only Kid Yamamoto, the biggest television ratings draw of Japanese MMA fighters, he is also hated in the country.

Akiyama has a strange dichotomy, because as much as he’s hated in Japan, he’s loved in South Korea, as the country’s current martial arts hero. At this point there are no plans to run live events in South Korea, but UFC does have television in that country and Akiyama on its roster greatly bolsters its standing.

As our own Luke Thomas said at the time of Akiyama's signing, this isn't about the U.S. audience. Akiyama is a Trojan Horse to help the UFC sneak into the Japanese market. He's also a huge draw in South Korea (we'll get to why in a minute), where the UFC has been making serious headway. If Akiyama can string together a series of wins and earn a title shot, don't be shocked if the UFC suddenly gets serious about putting on a show in South Korea or Japan.

Meltzer also worries that Akiyama has never recovered from a KO via illegal kick to the face:

After Akiyama was knocked out cold on December 31, 2007, by Kazuo Misaki, he has not been the same fighter. He is slower to react, which is the kiss of death against top competition. Fighting Entertainment Group, the promotion behind K-1 in Japan, was well aware of this, putting him against two non-fighters in his only matches this past year. Unless his reflexes suddenly snap back to pre-knockout levels, UFC is paying big money for a fighter who may very well be shot.

The UFC is putting that proposition to the test immediately. Rather than sheltering their big signing, they're throwing him in against Alan Belcher. Belcher is the kind of opponent managers hate. He's dangerous enough to have beaten Denis Kang and Jorge Santiago but erratic enough to have losses to Jason Day and Kendall Grove. Beating Belcher doesn't really get you anywhere and he's a very real threat to beat anyone by KO or submission. If Akiyama beats Belcher, particularly if its in convincing fashion, we'll know he's got real potential to make an impact in the UFC.

Style-wise, Akiyama is very different than Karo Parisyan, the judoka with whom UFC fans are most familiar. He's won plenty of fights by submission, but doesn't have much of a track record of using high-flying throws in the MMA ring. Instead he's often fought more like another judoka who's beginning to break out in the U.S.: Hector Lombard. Like the Cuban Olympian, Akiyama often uses his top-flight Judo skills to keep things standing or get top position where he can bring the power of his fists to bear.

If Akiyama is at 100% and not shot as Meltzer fears, we shouldn't be surprised to see him stay on his feet with Belcher and even get the KO.

If Akiyama can deliver the goods in the Octagon, American fans are still likely to miss why he's such a big deal in Japan. There are two reasons. First, he's of Korean descent but is a fourth generation Japanese. His Korean name is Choo Sung-Hoon. That might not sound like a big deal here in the U.S., but in Japan that means he's very much an ethnic underdog. More on this in the full entry. Secondly, he's been involved in two of the most controversial No Contests in Japanese MMA history.

Sergio Non talked to Akiyama about his perception in Japan:

That said, how much does it bother you to be viewed as a villain in Japan?

It's something that is created in Japan, and I accepts it as a fact. There's nothing I can do at this point.

More on these controversies in the full entry, plus enough fight videos to waste your whole evening.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
UFC 100 Preview: Georges St Pierre, the Michael Jordan of MMA
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 06:19:42 AM »
 David K. of Bleacher Report stakes the claim:

In comparison to his pound-for-pound contemporaries, Georges St-Pierre is widely viewed as the prototypical fighter. MMA legend Frank Shamrock perhaps said it best, in an Apr. 2009 interview with BleacherReport.com's Brian Oswald.

"We are in the midst of an evolution in the sport...Georges St-Pierre is the perfect example. The evolution of the athlete and the evolution of the art go hand in hand."

Shortly after a Best Fighter nomination for the ESPY Awards last summer, the Canadian star was the first mixed martial artist to sign with CAA Sports-an agency that represents the likes of Derek Jeter, David Beckham, and LeBron James-in October of last year.

The implications of this strategic alliance could be monumental for St-Pierre-and mixed martial arts as a whole-specifically in terms of endorsement deals and general exposure.

One of St-Pierre's most relatable attributes may be his perceived vulnerability. In fact, his uncharacteristic attempts at showmanship-i.e. "I am not impressed by your performance."-often resemble scenes from a casting tape. Fittingly so perhaps, as the image-conscious athlete is, at times, reminiscent of what his childhood idol, Jean-Claude Van Damme, has failed to remain: a Hollywood star.

There's a tiny bit of truth to this analogy in that GSP is the MMA fighter who has had the most success in cutting major marketing deals -- CAA, Gatorade, THQ, etc.

But there's one huge difference. When Michael Jordan cut his legendary Nike deal, the NBA was already the most popular sports league in the U.S. Jordan was a rare combination of charisma and athletic ability, but he also had the great good fortune to come into the sport in the wake of a unique generation of superstars who had guaranteed a mass audience for Jordan. GSP may be the closest we've come to a Michael Jordan of MMA, but without a Magic Johnson, a Larry Bird, a Kareem Abdul Jabar and Isiah Thomas to come along and build a massive popular audience, it's just not the same.

We're still in the early days of MMA. As Josh Gross points out, we haven't yet seen the first true MMA superstar:

It really comes down to the stars of the sport, and not the manufactured kind. At some point, fighters will emerge out of the pack. For a variety of reasons the public will come to accept and root for them. They'll be tremendous competitors, embodying everything that's wonderful to watch about MMA.

Moreover, they'll represent something larger than themselves. A struggling town. A cause. A group of people. A period in time. Whatever it is, MMA hasn't experienced this yet, but when it does -- and it will -- you'll know.

James

Re: It's a toss up, but I'm going with Mir!
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 06:44:20 AM »
Lesnar

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Re: UFC 100 Preview: Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 08:27:11 AM »
As much as i dispise Bisping, I don't count him out of this fight..    he's young and aggressive..

if i had to bet though, it's with Hendo.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 10:52:47 AM »
Didn't watch the first video.......4+minutes is too much time, but from the second one I can say.........the guy holding the pads is a little twink and those pads don't weigh 275 or hit back. :D

It's actually a good radio interview...
w

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 12:22:45 PM »
mir

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »
Lesnar will kill him
No Worries 4 me

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 03:57:19 PM »
I want Mir to win. Lesnar is too much of a meathead for me

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2009, 05:06:44 PM »
MIR all the way..

Lesnar needs to pay his dues..

That's why I'm rooting for Lesnar......I think it's funny as shit that this guy walks into the UFC and his 3rd fight is a championship fight, which he wins! ;D

I hope he knocks Mir on his ass like he did the first time they fought, then hops abourd with some improved G&P and finishes him this time.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »
Dan by KO

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Seeing UFC 100 Live, It's Not Too Late
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2009, 05:43:14 PM »
Tickets: Getting into the sold-out fights will cost you quite a bit more. Tickets start at $497, and can cost you as much as ... wait for it ... are you sitting down ... $40,000 per ticket. That's right, you can either buy yourself a new Honda, or you can have a cageside ticket for UFC 100. There is plenty of in-between ground there, like seats in the lower bowl for around $1000. A grand per ticket is hardly cheap, but it's still a seat in the fights that will not give you a nosebleed.

Hotel: The bad economy has affected tourism in Las Vegas, which means you can stay there for relatively cheap rates. Hotels.com has rooms for as cheap as $25 a night, you can stay on the strip at the Tropicana for $80 a night, or in the Luxor, which is attached to Mandalay Bay, for $140. Actually staying at Mandalay Bay will cost you quite a bit more, as in $286 a night. (Note, if you book with Hotels.com, they charge your credit card ahead of time, so don't book until you know you're going.)

Getting there: This close to the event, airfares are getting pretty high. According to Orbitz, from my own hometown of Chicago, it would cost between $500 -- $600, between $550 -- $700 from Boston, $450 -- $600 from Dallas, and $170 -- $350 from Los Angeles. You can also save quite a bit on your flight if you combine it with your hotel on a Web site like Travelocity or Orbitz.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Seeing UFC 100 Live, It's Not Too Late
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »
they could stick the octagon in thier asses cause whos gonna pay 40,000 gees for a fight, to be honest imo if your paying over 100-150 $ your getting screwed. you could watch it home instead and take your family on vacation to hawaii for those prices for tix and ill guarantee youll have a way better time for your money
R

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2009, 08:38:10 PM »
you miss so much when your actually at the fights, it's not even worth going unless you're just there  to be there....

went to see forrest and tito and it was basically a waste of money

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2009, 08:44:29 PM »
I think hendo's gonna take the guy to school....

Bisping already proved he's in over his head with a pure wrestler with Hamel,and even Hamel was touching his chin at will when they kept it standing....

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »

I hope he knocks Mir on his ass like he did the first time they fought, then hops abourd with some improved G&P and finishes him this time.

there's been other guys that were more impressive than brock in their first couple fights in the UFC (Kongo & Gonzaga come to mind) but with the coin that Dana's probably paying Lesnar he would have been an idiot to not capitalize on that success right off the bat....

all things considered, Lesnar did'nt look all that impressive against a much smaller Couture...

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2009, 10:50:23 PM »
you miss so much when your actually at the fights, it's not even worth going unless you're just there  to be there....

went to see forrest and tito and it was basically a waste of money

i hear ya geo, i was seated 10 rows back from the octagon watching ufc high voltage in atlantic city and only paid 125$ a ticket. that was back in 2000 i believe. im not sure cause it was awhile ago but i think the main event was randy vs rizzo or tito vs tanner, and the rest of the card was awesome as well. sean sherk fought, i think chuck as well as randleman was also on the card. these days your lucky if you can find a seat in the nosebleed sections up near the roof of the arena for under 200$ :'(, i new once the ufc went mainstream the hardcore fans that supported the ufc through all the hard times where gonna get screwed if they didnt make decent money cause not everyone can afford those prices for ppv never mind the outrages tix prices.

to be honest me and me wife are on a pretty tight budget cause were trying to save to buy a little ranch house in the next 3 or 4 years, so its hard for me to take a afew hundred $$$$ out of the bank so i can watch a ufc event live. i rather take my son and wife out for the day and have a blast or buy my wife and son some gifts, i guess it boils down to priorities. dont get me wrong, for yous guys that got it good id say go have a great time at the ufc,s, let me finish by saying this, all ufc fans should attend at least 1 ufc event in thier lifetime cause youll be amazed how cool it is hanging out talking to the fighters and being there feeling the adreneline rush thats circulating through the arena
R

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2009, 11:00:12 PM »
i want nothing more then to see dan rip bispigs head off, i dont want no decision cause bispig will be coming up with excuses saying he hurt his leg yesterday sparring or whatever. i want dan to end it brutal and fast and hurt bispig
R

Superboy Prime

• Getbig II
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2009, 04:35:09 AM »
Totally agree. Bisping should get slaughtered and I hope he does.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2009, 02:56:51 PM »
there's been other guys that were more impressive than brock in their first couple fights in the UFC (Kongo & Gonzaga come to mind) but with the coin that Dana's probably paying Lesnar he would have been an idiot to not capitalize on that success right off the bat....

all things considered, Lesnar did'nt look all that impressive against a much smaller Couture...

And, he couldn't finish Herring....
w

MMAWaves

• Getbig II
The UFC and Maxim have partnered up for the first-ever Maxim UFC Octagon Girl Search at the UFC Fan Expo. The winner will not only receive a UFC Octagon Girl contract, but will also be featured in Maxim Magazine and Maxim.com.

Go to http://mmawaves.com/?p=1081 for more details.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2009, 06:00:37 PM »
And, he couldn't finish Herring....
That was then, hopefully he has used his time wisely and learned how to choke.......maybe you should play poker with him. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!