Author Topic: UFC 100 Official Thread  (Read 46045 times)

spinnis

Re: UFC --100--- One week away and counting
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2009, 04:04:34 AM »
Hmm.. perhaps I should go to this fight.... and sit in the seventh row on the floor...

You little tease you

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2009, 05:16:55 AM »
If you look, at brocks mid sectrion it looks very soft and flabby.Back when he was with the WWE he was alot leaner, and his stomach was flat.Now he has a belly.Is it because they drug test these guys??
I just saw Brock Lenar in a Dymatise add and he looks like a fat ass blob.He needs to lose atleast 20-40 lbs of fat if he is going to get back into the ring, or gewt back on the sauce.
Tank Abbott never had abs,either did chuck liddell for the most part
Both very good at punching people in the face though

spinnis

« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2009, 05:20:48 AM »
Tank Abbott never had abs,either did chuck liddell for the most part
Both very good at punching people in the face though

Bro, Dont fucking compare tank abbot the the PURE athletism of Brock Lesnar not even lidell.

If any retards doesn't think Brock knows how to get in enough cardio shape you're all nuts. after 100+ amateur wrestling matches you know this shit.

He did 3 rounds against heath herring punching and rwestling the entire time and had more in him after the fight.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2009, 05:24:24 AM »
Bro, Dont fucking compare tank abbot the the PURE athletism of Brock Lesnar not even lidell.

If any retards doesn't think Brock knows how to get in enough cardio shape you're all nuts. after 100+ amateur wrestling matches you know this shit.

He did 3 rounds against heath herring punching and rwestling the entire time and had more in him after the fight.

I was just making the point that abs or not,Lesnar an knock people the fuck out

spinnis

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2009, 05:35:28 AM »
I was just making the point that abs or not,Lesnar an knock people the fuck out

Lesnar is in good shape though, Not wwe shape ofc because he was juicing there.

but he doesnt look flabby there?

Remember Mir is a BIG man. but stand him next to our aryan hope and baam

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2009, 06:44:49 AM »
Brock had calf implant surgery this past weekend, so don't expect his movement and agility to be 100%

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2009, 06:45:45 AM »
i would beat this brock guy

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2009, 06:49:04 AM »
Mir will take it again.1st rd submission.
DAWG

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Fighters weigh-in on GSP vs. Alves at UFC 100
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2009, 06:49:05 AM »

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
UFC 100 Preview: Brock Lesnar's Coach Greg Nelson Talks
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2009, 06:49:24 AM »
From MMA Junkie:

"I would have to say that our school was really ahead of the curve," Nelson said. "We started training mixed martial arts in, well, it was 1992, but even before I had my own school we were already mixing Thai-boxing and shootwrestling, and I wrestled for the University of Minnesota. We just always had been putting stuff together and combining. That's kind of how I did things.

"We've had a really good training camp, a lot of guys in there," Nelson said. "This has been an extremely good camp because we've had a lot of guys that are big and can move. We brought in a guy from Arizona who was an all-armed forces boxing champion who is 300 pounds and can hit like a Mac truck."

"Brock is a very smart fighter," Nelson said. "Since his first fight, he went in there and that was more just pure get-in-there, raw aggression, try to run them over like a truck. You could see from that fight to Heath Herring to then with Randy Couture, you see a steady growth in his striking development and ability to pace himself – control to not be so anxious in the ring.

"He's got the ability to really run through you like a freight train, ... but at the same time he now has a lot more movement."

They brought in 7 time world jiu jitsu champ Rodrigo "Comprido" Medeiros to train Lesnar before the Heath Herring fight, but I haven't heard who they've brought in for this camp.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Frank Mir's striking coach talked to MMAWeekly:

"I think the best thing for Brock would be get as crazy as possible and come out of the box like that. That’s how he’s going to beat Frank. If he tries to get technical and try to play the striking game, he’ll get crushed. If he tries to do the jiu-jitsu game, he’ll get crushed. He hasn’t been training long enough. How can somebody get better in six months?

We’re not gonna throw kicks like we did in the first fight. In the first fight, he was still a little anxious with me and wanted to show he had learned. It’s a beginner’s mistake; why are you gonna throw a kick in the open field? This time, I think he’s going to feel him out, box him, frustrate him, because I think Brock’s going to throw hands and try to knock him out and I don’t see how that’s going to happen. Brock has no kicks, so we’re not worried about his kicks or knees. It will probably be a boxing match, then Brock will get hit with something, and get submitted or knocked out. Then in the third or fourth round, here come the low kicks, so we can further frustrate him. The biggest thing is if Frank stays relaxed and moves laterally, you’ll see a seminar."

Kehn Hahn is among several others who think that Frank Mir can use Brock's relative lack of experience to overcome his size and strength advantage.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2009, 06:50:46 AM »
i would beat this brock guy

Suicide bomb vests aren't allowed in the ring, Turkish Titan.

Brock Lesnar = most overrated fighter on the planet right now.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
The USA TODAY/Bloody Elbow Top 50 MMA Fights in History: 1993-1996
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2009, 06:50:48 AM »
Beau Dure at USA Today has posted the first two installments of our top 50 fights in MMA history series. Again here's the criteria:

Some of the 50 fights we'll list aren't necessarily the best MMA bouts, but all of them are milestones for one reason or another, for better or for worse. The idea is to show how the sport has evolved. These are the fights that made the sport what it is today.

Here's the first 10 fights, covering 1993 to 1996 (the links go to previous MMA History pieces we've done that discuss the fight in question):

Ken Shamrock def. Masakatsu Funaki, Sept. 21, 1993; Pancrase 1
You can watch this fight here. The Pancrase rules will be a bit of a shock to modern MMA fans. They didn't allow closed fist strikes while standing and a "gentleman's agreement" precluded striking on the ground. Nevertheless, this match from the premier event of the "hybrid wrestling" promotion was a key moment in the development of modern MMA. Shamrock surprised everyone by beating Funaki, the man who had taught him submission grappling in their several years of doing worked wrestling matches together. Thus, when Ken Shamrock traveled to the states a couple of months later and fought in the UFC, he was truly fighting as the champion of Japanese shootfighting. Their 2nd and 3rd fights are worth a look too.

Royce Gracie def. Ken Shamrock, Nov. 12, 1993; UFC 1
Unfortunately for Ken, once he got there he found that he was in the same quarter finals bracket as a representative of an even more robust proto-MMA tradition: Royce Gracie. Royce's jiu jitsu allowed him to capitalize on the weaknesses of Shamrock's submission over position style. His gi allowed him to sink a choke that Shamrock probably didn't know was possible. This fight is still a hoot to watch today. One thing I've always found kind of ironic is that Gracie's Brazilian fighting tradition was based on Japan's ancient jiu jitsu fighting style, while Shamrock's Japanese fighting tradition was based on the English/American catch-wrestling style first brought to Japan by Ad Santel and Karl Gotch. Right from the beginning, modern MMA was a cultural melting-pot.

Royce Gracie def. Kimo Leopoldo, Sept. 9, 1994; UFC 3
This was the first MMA fight I ever saw, but that's not why it's on the list. Kimo was the first opponent to expose cracks in Royce Gracie's seemingly invincible aura. Kimo showed that a mad brawling intensity and a major size and strength advantage could really give Royce trouble. Take a look. Its a very ugly fight by today's standards. There is hair pulling and repeated and deliberate nut shots and it was all legal. This fight occured in a tournament that was designed to end in a Gracie vs Shamrock finale, but Royce had to drop out after this fight (which he did in the cage at the beginning of his next fight, picking up a loss) and Shamrock injured himself/quit after his quarter-finale win. This began a pattern of Shamrock botching major events that continued all the way up to the death of EliteXC.

Ken Shamrock vs. Royce Gracie, draw, April 7, 1995; UFC 5
This is NOT a fun fight to watch and probably did as much to kill the commercial momentum of the early UFC as John McCain. Shamrock had been watching Royce closely in the two years since their first match and had figured out that if he just turtled up in his guard, Royce wouldn't be able to do much about it. This was before the stand up rule so Shamrock literally stalled for the full 30 minute regulation period. In the overtime, he landed a right hand that put a big mouse on Royce's face before they returned to Royce's guard. It was officially a draw, but it effectively ran Royce Gracie out of the UFC. After this event, his brother Rorion sold his ownership share in the UFC and Royce wouldn't return until UFC 60, eleven years later.

Ken Shamrock def. Dan Severn, July 14, 1995; UFC 6
This one was a fun one, well worth a viewing. Severn was the first modern MMA fighter to come out of a collegiate/Olympic wrestling background. His run at UFC 4 ended with an epic loss to Royce Gracie (in a match that's on my top 65 list for sure). Royce showed everyone what a triangle choke was -- a move so unexpected that the UFC commentators had no idea what was happening. Severn went on to win the tournament at UFC 5, setting up this "Superfight" at UFC 6. Effectively this is the beginning of the UFC heavyweight championship belt that Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir will fight for next week. In this one, Severn shows that he is a physical force to be reckoned with, but he just isn't ready for even the most basic submission holds -- in this case a guillotine choke. Shamrock would hold the UFC superfight title until Severn took it in their UFC 9 rematch, also known as the worst MMA fight of all time.

David "Tank" Abbott def. John Matua, July 14, 1995; UFC 6
This was acutally earlier in the same evening as the Shamrock vs Severn fight so technically should be #5 on this list. Oh well. Its also the first UFC fight I ever saw live on PPV. I wasn't the only budding jiu jitsu acolyte who was stunned and staggered by the brutal beating the thuggish Abbott inflicted on his burly opponent. Abbott made MMA safe for testosterone addicts who wanted to see pure brutality and raw power get their due. Abbott actually had a fair amount of wrestling and boxing training, but that wasn't really dwelt on in the presentation of this outsized new character. He went on to lose in the tournament final to Sambo stylist Oleg Taktarov in a fight with a good bit of drama, but Tank is the one who got people talking.

Marco Ruas def. Paul Varelens, Sept. 8, 1995; UFC 7
UFC 7 saw the emergence of yet another new stylistic tradition that would go on to become a major influence in the modern MMA mix: Muay Thai. The brutal traditional prize fighting style of Thailand was brought to the UFC by a Brazilian, Marco Ruas. His use of leg kicks to chop down the giant Paul Varelens was a triumph of technique. Ruas was also the earliest UFC competitor to combine effective grappling with a solid standup attack. He had studied no-gi grappling with Brazil's top Luta Livre camps. Unfortunately, he didnt get to continue his rivalry with Jiu Jitsu (see this fight from the 1980s for Ruas vs BJJ) in his MMA career, nor would he ever top this win, but his influence is seen in virtually every modern MMA fight when the leg kicks fly.

Dan Severn def. Oleg Taktarov, Dec. 16, 1995; Ultimate Ultimate '95
The UFC's Ultimate Ultimate tournament was the kind of event that MMA fans have come to know all too well, a fight card so impossibly stacked with dream matchups that it can't help but disappoint. Bringing four UFC tournament champions (Severn, Taktarov, Ruas and Steve Jennum) together with four of the most formidable also rans (Tank, Varlens, Keith Hackney, and Dave Beneteau) into one eight man tournament delivered a few good fights, but it also featured some dancing from Ruas and a bravura display of lay and pray from Severn. Nevertheless, the final between Taktarov and Severn, a rematch of their UFC 5 bout, was the kind of battle between an expert positional grappler and a master of submissions that I still find to be a treat. This event firmly established a clear pecking order among the early major UFC fighters not named Shamrock or Gracie and Severn emerged on top, setting up his rematch with Shamrock at UFC 9.

Don Frye def. Gary Goodridge, Feb. 16, 1996; UFC 8
If the Ultimate Ultimate closed the books on the first chapter of UFC history, chapter two opened with a bang at UFC 8. It was possibly the most action packed UFC to date. Both Frye and Goodridge scored spectacular knockouts in the early rounds of the tourny and their collision in the finals was one of the best back and forth fights in the early years of the promotion. Frye brought a more polished version of the boxer-wrestler blend and Goodridge relied on raw power. That wouldn't be enough as Frye unleashed some of the first dirty boxing MMA fans would see.

Bas Rutten def. Frank Shamrock, May 16, 1996; Pancrase - Truth 5
This bout was the apex of mid-period Pancrase. Still hobbled by their eccentric rule set, they continued to put on great fights. Rutten was a Muay Thai trained Dutchman who had learned submissions on the job in the hybrid wrestling league. Frank Shamrock was the adopted younger brother of Ken Shamrock and a key member of the early Lion's Den gym team. Not just an epic battle, this bout was a key formative experience for the young Shamrock. It marked the end of his early run of triumphs and began a series of defeats that he would have to dig deep to recover from. For Rutten, it represented a star at his apex. Dominating his league and reaching a career high even his brief run as UFC champ wouldn't match. Watch the fight in the full entry. Also see this post on Bas Rutten.
Keep your eyes peeled for the next installment of this series and let me know where you disagree in the comments.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
UFC 100 Preview: Thiago Alves
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2009, 06:51:32 AM »
"It's just another fight and I'm going to take GSP out." "GSP will try to impose his will, take me down and work from the top. But I'll be ready for anything."

"I can stop anybodies take down. I've been training for this my whole life; I can stop GSP's takedown". "I’m not really worried about what GSP is going to do. I know what I'm going to do and I'm going to knock him out"

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
"I've trained with him two times and he looked really sharp. I put my money on him against B.J. Penn.

"Kenny Florian is a great training partner, and is going to be a great champion, and he's also a greater person and human being (than B.J. Penn)."

Georges St Pierre talking to MMA Weekly about training partner Kenny Florian.

[UPDATE] by Nick Thomas - BJ Penn's message to Kenny Florian:

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2009, 07:10:03 AM »

Brock Lesnar credits God for his physique
July 2, 2009, 10:08 pm

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/48871852.html

By PAUL WALSH, Star Tribune
Last update: June 23, 2009 - 2:12 PM

Former University of Minnesota wrestling All-American Brock Lesnar, the current Ultimate Fighting Champion heavyweight title holder, took a swipe at President Obama in an interview and bragged that he is "built like a black man" as he credited God -- and not steroids -- for his physique.

Lesnar's smorgasbord of comments came in an interview with Maxim that was published in May and posted Friday on Fightline.com, a website that covers mixed-martial arts, ultimate fighting and other forms of professional wrestling.

Lesnar was a two-time All-American and 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion for the Gophers. His post-college career took off when he became a star with the WWE for two years, a part of his life that he recalled with some regret.

"You live a double life," the 285-pound Lesnar said. "I was tired of trying to be who I was in the ring and then coming home for two days to be normal. They didn't allow you to be. The guys who get out are the smart ones, really and truly."

Lesnar also took a swipe at President Obama when talking about having money for the first time in his life while in the WWE.

"I acted foolishly," he said in the interview, noting the he owned four homes (one in western Hennepin County), a private plane, two Hummers and a Mercedes. Asked whether he has saved for retirement, he responded: "That's private. But if Obama keeps spending our money like this, I'll have to fight till I'm 50."

Concerning steroids and his ability to stay ripped, Lesnar said.

"I bet you I've taken over 60 steroid tests. In college, I had 15 random drug tests in two years. I've taken drug tests for the NFL, the WWE, the UFC. I must be pretty good at masking steroids. God gave me this body: Are you jealous of it or what? Give me a break.

"I got the genetics of--not to get into racism or anything--but I'm built like a black man. Would you say so?"

::) ::) ::)

DAWG

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2009, 07:12:05 AM »
tbombz, that is one of the most ignorant posts I've seen in a while.  That was the argument 15 yrs ago when this started.

There are a few MMA fighters that may not do as well in a street fight as you'd expect because of temperment, but the majority of the guys would be a nightmare to fight.  This isn't boxing, karate or pure wrestling with tons of rules...all this shit works as well on the street as in the ring.  The fact that you don't already know this makes leads me to assume you have never done real MMA training.

spinnis

« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2009, 07:12:40 AM »
I can honestly see him right now being on GH and nothing else. The man Is a freak.

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2009, 07:13:47 AM »
Lesnar = Typical UFC douchebag.

Look forward to the day Dana White and his retarded ultimate fighting is a distant memory.  Like all trends this bullshit will run its course eventually.

spinnis

« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2009, 07:14:03 AM »
tbombz, that is one of the most ignorant posts I've seen in a while.  That was the argument 15 yrs ago when this started.

there is no need to even discuss anything with people who are that ignorant..

spinnis

« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2009, 07:15:16 AM »
Lesnar = Typical UFC douchebag.

Look forward to the day Dana White and his retarded ultimate fighting is a distant memory.  Like all trends this bullshit will run its course eventually.

douchebag??

He lives in the country, has his own house in the middle of nowhere, doesn't have internet or a tv and drives a little shitty car because he doesn't need anything else, yet he is a multi millionaire.

SOunds like a real douchebag to me.

Retard.

spinnis

« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2009, 07:16:19 AM »

Brock Lesnar credits God for his physique
July 2, 2009, 10:08 pm

Im guessing you're a black man angry because lesnar genetics own every single black man genetics on this planet.

Its alright for blacks to say they have better genetics then whites.

but OH MY GOD if a white person says it   ::) ::)

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2009, 07:17:11 AM »
swede has aryan genetics

spinnis

« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2009, 07:18:14 AM »
Mir will take it again.1st rd submission.

Ok "dawg" haha. Mr stereotype  ::) ::)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2009, 07:18:49 AM »
anyone with common sense knows what brock has been "On" in the past.so him trying to say god gave him that build = him being a douchebag.
DAWG