Author Topic: UFC 100 Official Thread  (Read 45788 times)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
Re: It's a toss up, but I'm going with Mir!
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »
I got Mir
DAWG

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
How Many $40,000 Tickets to UFC 100 is Affliction Buying?
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2009, 07:22:11 PM »
The story of the $40,000 ticket to UFC 100 is now getting mainstream press coverage, from the Vancouver Sun:

Ultimate Fighting Championship events generally cost a pretty penny to attend, and getting a spot at ringside isn't just a matter of having the means to pay for it - you also have to buy your tickets within a few minutes of them going on sale.

But demand for tickets for July 11's UFC 100 mega-event at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, in which Canada's Georges St Pierre will defend his world welterweight title against Brazilian Thiago Alves, is so heavy that ticket resellers are asking as much as $40,000 for a ringside seat.

But they miss the real story as to why there's so much demand. Rumor has it that Tom Atencio is passing out huge stacks of Affliction T-Shirt money to anyone who will sit cage side and chant FEDOR! FEDOR! Ok, so the part about Atencio buying the tickets is something I just made up, there is a scheme to chant FEDOR! FEDOR!:

Sometimes the Power of the Potato Nation is just too strong to be ignored, brother. For those of you who don't hang out in our forums section, you missed this recent brainstorm from "LargeMidget":

I was just thinking how cool it would be if the crowd chanted Fedor's name after the upcoming heavyweight belt unification match. Dana would probably shit his pants, and then hopefully get out the checkbook.

The point is of course that this fight doesn't truly determine the best heavyweight in the world because Fedor is still #1. Consider this the beginning of a virally coordinated effort to make this happen.
Despite some parade-raining by "My Fight Wiffa Cheeto," our friend "kadumel" took up the mantle and began promoting the idea on several MMA message boards. Though his thread on Sherdog was taken down for unknown reasons (maybe it was too awesome?), his thread on the UG is flourishing, with almost 100 responses, most of them positive — which inspired one supporter (or kadumel himself, it isn't really clear) to launch an official homepage for the movement, fedorchant.com. All from one little post on one little message board.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Ariel Helwani got this out of Frank Mir during the UFC 100 conference call transcript:

"I can point out why I think Brock has been successful at striking because we've actually had to address that in my training camp," Mir said on a call to promote UFC 100. "Brock's reach for his height is actually long. A lot of people don't realize that. They talk about his size, his power. Brock is almost 6-foot-4 ... his reach is actually really long. I remember even watching when he beat Randy, and he slipped that punch from Brock. He thought that he was out of the way, and that punch kept on coming, it kept on coming, and it kept on coming. And finally it just caught him and he went down."

Mir added that he had to find sparring partners who are taller than Lesnar so he could practice trading punches with someone who had the same arm length as Lesnar.

"I have two sparring partners that are 6-foot-7 and one who is even 6-foot-8 that we spar with," Mir said. "I had to find training partners that are three or four inches taller than Brock to even how long his arm reach is. Which, you know, if you watch boxing, that's the reason everyone sits there and goes, 'Well, what's his reach?' That's a very helpful tool in a fight -- how big the reach advantage is. Especially if you're throwing punches. The longer your arms are, the better it is."

Mir is very right to worry about Lesnar's reach. He should be concerned with his power too.

Under striking coach Ken Hahn, Mir's striking has improved dramatically in the last year. But many remain convinced that his battering of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira had more to do with the staph infection that had Big Nog in the hospital five days before the fight than any technical improvements worked by Hahn and Mir.

Here's Hahn talking to MMA Junkie about prepping Mir for that fight:

I had Frank train with reputable professional boxers - one heavyweight and one light heavyweight. Then I had him spar with kickboxers, wrestlers and Olympic-level judo players.

When you have a chance to train with so many different high-level guys, there's just no way around improving. .You've got to get better.

The bottom line is Frank was willing to listen and do whatever I said. I mean, who's going to say, "You're going to spar professional boxers today? Well, I'm not a boxer." I don't care. You're going to box them, and you're going to survive because that's what is going to get you the hand speed. That's why he was so much more efficient boxing.

He also drops this very interesting nugget about Mir's transition from southpaw to conventional stance and back over the course of his career:

t's because he was originally a southpaw, and then he got into that accident, so he switched to regular stance to favor his non-injured leg. After the (Brock) Lesnar fight, his leg was fully healed, and we decided to go back to his regular fighting stance and go back-and-forth.

His true fighting stance is southpaw, though he integrated the two fighting stances. You can see he actually had three or four fights where he fought in regular stance. And that's enough experience to be able to defend yourself. But, when you look at how he defended from a southpaw stance, he looked 20 times better than from a regular stance.

If he was fighting from a southpaw stance against Brandon Vera, he probably wouldn't have got caught by Brandon's knee. But from a different stance, you have to relearn everything from the beginning.

Frank's a lot more confident in that left-hand stance. But he can switch in and out, and that's what made him so elusive against Nogueira. Looking at the distance and the timing, every time Nogueira tried to step in, he was already gone. And then he would take an angle and weave and throw his punches. It was like in slow motion.

Mir's definitely the underdog going into this fight. In my mind it's going to come down to his ability to stand with Lesnar, avoid the long arms and massive power they carry. If Mir can score on the feet, that and only that will force Lesnar to take the fight to the ground.

If Lesnar charges out and takes the fight to the ground again, he's making a huge mistake. He already lost to Mir once on the ground. Why take that risk when he's got the reach and power advantages on his feet. It's a five round fight, if Lesnar can be patient, the fight should be his.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
UFC 100 Breakdown By FOX Fight Game
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2009, 07:25:41 PM »

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
 I thought it would be festive to build up to UFC 100's heavyweight title fight by reviewing some of the big submissions from Frank Mir's career.

First up, his UFC 36 submission win over Pete Williams using a shoulder crank that is now commonly referred to as the "Mir Lock."

First some background on Mir, via 411 Mania:

Frank Mir was born on May 24, 1979 (making him 30 years old today) in Las Vegas, Nevada. He was born into a martial arts family, as his parents ran a Kenpo Karate school, so naturally Frank became versed in martial arts. After watching UFC 1, he was amazed how the bigger, stronger guys were getting taken down and submitted by Royce Gracie. His father pushed Frank to learn wrestling as he thought that this would help Frank be able to defend submissions. When Frank first got into wrestling he lost his first 7 matches before going on to eventually win the Nevada State wrestling championship in 1998.

As a teenager Frank received his black belt in Kenpo and after high school he began to take a liking to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Instead of going to college Frank decided to focus on martial arts training instead. Frank Mir met up with Joe Silva (UFC matchmaker) while Silva was visiting a school that Frank was instructing. The two began to talk, and Silva suggested that the UFC would be interested in having Frank fight for their organization if he could first prove himself on some smaller shows. This prompted Frank to take on Jerome Smith at HOOKnSHOOT-showdown on July 14 2001, in his first professional MMA fight. The fight went to a two round decision and Frank was declared the winner. One month later on another independent card Frank fought Dan Quinn, but this time he ended the fight with a triangle choke in the first round. Directly after this fight the UFC made Frank an offer.

In his UFC debut, Mir shocked everyone by submitting BJJ blackbelt Roberto Traven with an armbar. Traven was a Mundial and ADCC champion so that got people's attention. But it was at his second UFC fight that Mir landed the first of the submissions that would make his reputation.

A simple jiu jitsu shoulder crank that really shouldn't get a tap out at the UFC level, the move looked spectacular when Mir used it to beat the well-known Lion's Den fighter Pete Williams in 0:46 of the first round. Williams biggest win was a kick to the face KTFO finish of Mark Coleman at UFC 17 but he had faced Ricco Rodriguez, Tsuyoshi Kohsaka and Kevin Randleman and never been submitted

Mir's got guard position, on his back with his legs wrapped around Williams' hips. He establishes an overhook on Williams' right arm with his left. He gets it deep enough to force Williams' arm to bend. Then he clasps his hands in a gable grip and cranks. Tap out.

Here's Mir describing the move in the post fight interview:

I pulled guard. I went for a triangle. He didn't give it to me, but he let me sink the arm deep. He didn't react like he knew it was dangerous so I knew I had him. He didn't know what was going to happen so I went over for the shoulder crank.

Its just a jiu jitsu move. I caught the arm and started to sink it. I was actually doing it to get him to get him to panick for a triangle. But when I saw his hand come up I realized he was in trouble and I just gave it everything.

This was the end of Williams' MMA career. He was only 27, but there just wasn't the money in the sport to keep him around. Not an all time great, he was still a key member of one of the early teams that dominated MMA and his highlight reel win over Mark Coleman will remain a staple of highlight reels.

For Mir this was just the beginning of a roller coaster career.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
Re: How Many $40,000 Tickets to UFC 100 is Affliction Buying?
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2009, 09:59:55 PM »
good post  ;)

spinnis

UFC --100--- One week away and counting
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2009, 05:08:12 PM »
Its gonna be fucking amazing. Even if you dont like UFC you should buy this event.
Just check out the fucking card

* Heavyweight Championship bout: Brock Lesnar vs.Interim Champion Frank Mir[1]
    * Welterweight Championship bout: St-Pierre vs. Thiago Alves[1]
    * Welterweight bout:Jon Fitch vs. Paulo Thiago[1]
    * Middleweight bout: Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping[1]
    * Middleweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs.  Belcher[1]

A niiiice preview video

spinnis

Re: UFC --100--- One week away and counting
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2009, 05:10:03 PM »
AND BROCK IS GOING TO RUN OVER FRANK MIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2009, 05:15:53 PM »
AND BROCK IS GOING TO RUN OVER FRANK MIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to starbucks and ask for  a quad espresso.

8)
Gracie Rules

spinnis

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2009, 05:19:35 PM »
Mir would probably never fight again after this fight because he is gonna get crushed.

So any mir fans...

Enjoy his last match

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2009, 05:24:38 PM »
Lesner and GSP are exciting fighters

to be honest though, I'm more looking forward to Bruno

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2009, 05:28:39 PM »
Alex Mercer will win...
I hate the State.

spinnis

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »
Lesner and GSP are exciting fighters

to be honest though, I'm more looking forward to Bruno

lol! cant wait. That am i gonna see high lol

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2009, 05:53:56 PM »
UFC is for poor people. -

Georgie's original quote TM; :P

spinnis

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »
UFC is for poor people. -

Georgie's original quote TM; :P

yeah makes alot of sense.

oh wait what now

GetItOnNY

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »
If you look, at brocks mid sectrion it looks very soft and flabby.Back when he was with the WWE he was alot leaner, and his stomach was flat.Now he has a belly.Is it because they drug test these guys??
I just saw Brock Lenar in a Dymatise add and he looks like a fat ass blob.He needs to lose atleast 20-40 lbs of fat if he is going to get back into the ring, or gewt back on the sauce.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »
If you look, at brocks mid sectrion it looks very soft and flabby.Back when he was with the WWE he was alot leaner, and his stomach was flat.Now he has a belly.Is it because they drug test these guys??
I just saw Brock Lenar in a Dymatise add and he looks like a fat ass blob.He needs to lose atleast 20-40 lbs of fat if he is going to get back into the ring, or gewt back on the sauce.

Bodybuilders seem to always judge people just on how they look. They're fighters GetIt not guys prancing around flexing their muscles or putting on wrestling shows. Leave it to Brock to decide how much fat he should carry before he gets into the ring. I think he knows a bit more about fighting than you do. He's only the HW champ. Look at Fedor. I'm sure you'll crush him in a pose off but in a fight, I believe it would be you paying a visit to your broken jaw tavern.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
i have a strange feeling pispig is gonna jab and run the whole fight while hendo chases him, once hendo cracks him one time pispig will be running hard
R

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2009, 10:21:52 PM »
Even if you dont like UFC you should buy this event.

Hmm.. perhaps I should go to this fight.... and sit in the seventh row on the floor...

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2009, 10:24:07 PM »
alves and lesnar could win

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2009, 12:31:15 AM »
This is a great card.  I can't wait.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2009, 12:39:23 AM »
i hate stupid fucking ufc crap

dumb dumb dumb

and one thig thats so stupid is people think these guys are the best fighters in the world... pleasse... guys who can actually fight dont even bother with this bullshit... its for guys who have to constanty prove to themselves and toher people that they are able to hurt other guys....and they fucking suck at it.. pracing aorund the ring takign 10 minutes in a fight... andy real fight is going to last no more than a minute or to..no matter how goo the fighters are matched... intense fighting is way too drainign for 10 minutes of bullshit..

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2009, 01:53:49 AM »
i hate stupid fucking ufc crap

dumb dumb dumb

and one thig thats so stupid is people think these guys are the best fighters in the world... pleasse... guys who can actually fight dont even bother with this bullshit... its for guys who have to constanty prove to themselves and toher people that they are able to hurt other guys....and they fucking suck at it.. pracing aorund the ring takign 10 minutes in a fight... andy real fight is going to last no more than a minute or to..no matter how goo the fighters are matched... intense fighting is way too drainign for 10 minutes of bullshit..

Say you, Tbombs, just happened to be the best fighter in the world. Say you worked as an accountant or a life guard. Say you could make millions, like Chuck Lidell and Randy Couture, would you stick with your regular job or take a crack at the UFC?

What do you know about fighting? Have you ever trained in MMA? Have you ever gone against an MMA fighter? How long do you think you'd last, or anybody you personally know, against a pudgy BJ Penn in a real fight? I can assure you that before Penn got into the UFC he was very familar with street fighting. He'll tell you that the UFC is no joke. The Gracie family grew up fighting on the street.  A fight is short when one fighter is much better than the other. Helio Gracie fought for 3 hours in a no holds bar Vale Tudo (anything goes fight).

And what's this nonsense about real fighters having nothing to prove? Every athlete in any sport competes to challenge himself and to prove he's the best to himself and to others. It's like saying a real bodybuilder never takes off his shirt because he has nothing to prove.

You're out of your element here. Stick with what you know: nutrition, AAS, cross dressing and anal sex.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2009, 01:58:38 AM »
BTW, Kimbo gained fame as a street fighter. He loss to a mediocre UFC fighter in one of his closed door matches. This "real" street fighter has proven a bitter disappointment in MMA when going against trained athletes. There's still hope for him. He just needs more training with high level UFC/MMA fighters -- which is what he's doing. I don't think he thinks UFC fighters are a joke.