Author Topic: Mike Tyson at his peak Vs Ali at his  (Read 29206 times)

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
Mike Tyson at his peak Vs Ali at his
« on: June 26, 2008, 06:34:45 AM »
 Who would win? Could Ali live with this beast in the early rounds?
O

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Re: Mike Tyson at his peak Vs Ali at his
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 06:37:13 AM »
Ali by late round knockout.

Next!
!

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 06:37:29 AM »

Ali was able to take the bombs from Foreman at his peak...

but then again, Foreman claims he was drugged before the fight  :-\
just not good enough

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 06:38:11 AM »
Ali, though past his prime, did well against Foreman who was pretty much the Tyson of his era. Wasn't a pretty fight but Ali showed the world he was the most brilliant boxer out there even though he was no longer the "best" boxer. I think that in his prime he could have handled Tyson (though Tyson was great as long as he was trained by Kevin Rooney).

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 06:38:30 AM »

Ali was able to take the bombs from Foreman at his peak...

but then again, Foreman claims he was drugged before the fight  :-\

Hard to say.  Ali was a boxer and tyson was a fighter.  Ali would probably end up frustrating Tyson like Holyfield did and make him snap.

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 06:41:24 AM »
If you watch the first Ali/Liston fight for example, you'll see that, even by today's standards, Ali had uncanny velocity for a heavyweight and that he knew how to use his jab against smaller opponents to keep them at distance. He would have done the same against Tyson probably. But Tyson was incredibly fast too for a heavywiehgt during his first years, and at close range, he could land punches as fast as a middleweight.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 06:44:05 AM »
 I am sure Ali could handle Tyson just past his best..but at his absolute brutal best , I just can't makes up my mind.

Ali:

Tyson:
O

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 06:46:33 AM »
Ali fought the "Tysons" of era--Liston, Foreman, Frazier--and beat them all.  It took more than a steel jaw and killer left hook to beat Ali.

RZA

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 06:48:44 AM »
We're talking about two very different boxers, different in style, physique, technic and power. But the two have something in common. Neither boxed like classic heavyweights, Tyson because he had a different physqiue (much shorter than your average heavyweight, with shorter limbs) and Ali because his technic was as good as the best cruiserweights. And both were much faster also.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 06:54:13 AM »
We're talking about two very different boxers, different in style, physique, technic and power. But the two have something in common. Neither boxed like classic heavyweights, Tyson because he had a different physqiue (much shorter than your average heavyweight, with shorter limbs) and Ali because his technic was as good as the best cruiserweights. And both were much faster also.

Good analysis. Would love to have seen these two box at their respective peaks.
O

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 08:24:22 AM »

Ali showed and proved he could take a punch and his jab would give Mike some problems.  Frazier was a tough little bastard and fought kind of like Mike.  Ali I think could take Mike.  He was very smart in the ring.  I would have loved to see a press conference with Mike and Ali.  That would be one fun time.  But then again I kicked Ali's ass especially when it came down to wrestling ;D

Big L

• Getbig II
  • Know your role & Shut your Mouth
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 08:35:58 AM »
I would go with tyson he was much stronger than Joe, could drop you with either hand left or right serious serious punching power. If Joe was able to beat Ali and take him to the breaking point and a tyson in his prime with no fear would get Ali between rounds 4 threw 6. It would take him 2 or the 3 rounds to figure out how to by pass Alis jab & after that the party would be over. Just my to cents. But hey all we can do is guess and wish we could see that.

Peace!
Give me my Money!!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 08:38:46 AM »
Are you kidding me? Tyson in his prime would mop the floor with Ali. He was a fucking killer in his hey day. Check out some of his earlier fights.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 08:42:44 AM »
Are you kidding me? Tyson in his prime would mop the floor with Ali. He was a fucking killer in his hey day. Check out some of his earlier fights.

Yea good analogy, comparing the guys Tyson fought early with Ali. ::) ::) ::) ::)

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 08:46:50 AM »

I agree 100% with this.  Doesn't matter what skill, technique, or strategy others brought to the ring, in the end after 5 or 6 jabs Mike just attacked people, and there was nothing you could do to stop.  Not one thing.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 08:52:24 AM »
The guy who is getting demolished by Tyson in this video beat Ali, although it was well past Ali's prime, but still...first round KO

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 08:54:49 AM »
Yea good analogy, comparing the guys Tyson fought early with Ali. ::) ::) ::) ::)
Tyson would have mopped the floor with Frazier and Forman too. Ali was phenomenal and his skill was extra ordinary but Tyson in his prime would KO the whole lot of them in one hook. The guy was a true tough guy and his punching power was very disturbing. He used to punch holes in walls before his fights to let out some of his nervousness for God sake.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 08:55:42 AM »
Tyson would have mopped the floor with Frazier and Forman too. Ali was phenomenal and his skill was extra ordinary but Tyson in his prime would KO the whole lot of them in one hook. The guy was a true tough guy and his punching power was very disturbing. He used to punch holes in walls before his fights to let out some of his nervousness for God sake.
SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE IN LOVE WITH THAT BRUTE

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 08:57:44 AM »
SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE IN LOVE WITH THAT BRUTE
Sounds like you are in love with me. Why are you following me around, jackass?

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 09:00:13 AM »
Frequent Question.

I think Ali/Frazier may give some insight, although I'm well aware that the Ali of 1971 was not the Ali of 1966 - his prime best (check
out his fight against Cleveland Williams).

Joe Frazier had similar physiques and fighting styles, but there are some clear differences:
1.) Tyson had KO punching power in both hands, plus a devasting upper-cut, which Frazier didn't have.  He was basically a one-punch
fighter (his left hook is primary weapon), and even when he hit you, he did not have one-punch KO power like Tyson
2.) Frazier didn't have Tyson's speed and was a slow starter.  He really didn't get going until about the 4th round, whereas with Tyson, that's when he would typically wear out.
3.) Frazier's heart and punch output was superior to Tyson's.  Frazier was a punching machine and would
throw punches for 15 rounds, even though he may hit a lot of arm and hip shots, those kind of shots worn down his opponents in later rounds.  
4.) As for chins, I think they were similar.  Frazier took a lot of shots from Ali, but Ali was not the hardest puncher, and when he did get in the ring with a hard puncher like Foreman, he didn't last 2 rounds.  Tyson took big shots from Douglass, Ruddock, and Lennox, but outside of Ruddock, I wouldn't say the other 2 were bone crushers.

As for Ali, his biggest weakness - even at his prime was that he dropped his right hand and could be caught with a left hook.  He showed this as an amateur and as a pro against the likes of Henry Cooper - a sub 200lb HW who almost knocked him out early in his career.  The left hook was a primary weapon of Frazier and Tyson, and I think Tyson would be in a better position to use his, because Ali would have to respect his other punches, whereas Ali only had to fear Frazier's left.

As for Ali taking Foreman's shots, if you look at that fight, he barely connected.  He threw a lot at the body, but he barely got a clean shot because Ali leaned into those loose ropes.  Plus Foreman throw long heavy punches where he needed to have room in order to get the full effect.  Tyson and Frazier were much better at throwing devastating punches at close range.  If you gave Frazier and Tyson those same opportunities to land body punches, I do not believe he could have survived, which is why I think Ali would not have fought the "rope-a-dope" against Tyson.  His best chance would have been to fight him as he did Liston - moving around, jabbing, quick combo's, in and out.

The Verdict: Tyson slightly.  It's like hitting the lottery though.  If he lands a big shot, then it's over - but the big question is "if"?

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »
I can see Ali winning a wide UD, i think he could take Tysons best shots.

Def the best 2 heavys of all time tho.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 09:37:21 AM »

They were all pussies.  As soon as he met anyone worth a shit, he lost.
Ali fought the best of the best, period.
Most are all show no go!

cptanabolic

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »
You need to remember all the mind games Ali brought to the table.  He would have Tyson beat before the fight, just like he had Foreman beat before the fight.
ResFirma Mitescera Nescit

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 09:47:18 AM »
You need to remember all the mind games Ali brought to the table.  He would have Tyson beat before the fight, just like he had Foreman beat before the fight.
I think the trick there would be for Ali to survive the first two rounds. That's when Tyson was deadly. After that, he'd be out of gas. But Tyson also brought mind games to the ring. He was king when it came down to intimidation.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 09:48:26 AM »
I think the trick there would be for Ali to survive the first two rounds. That's when Tyson was deadly. After that, he'd be out of gas. But Tyson also brought mind games to the ring. He was king when it came down to intimidation.
I'm going to call you the " what if guy " hahahahahaha

cee lo " wish I was a little bit taller "  :D