Author Topic: Japanese Whisky  (Read 9040 times)

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
Re: Japanese Whisky
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »
Macallan 12 and Glenlivet 18 are solid and I usually have them around.

This is what i have right now. Glenlivet is always good, the 18 is amazing.

Macallan is something i drink more often. I save the Glen for guests.

I'm going through another wine phase right now, i haven't had a good glass of scotch in months.

My dad drinks Chivas, i don't care for it much anymore, but used to drink it when i was younger.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2020, 02:25:07 PM »
This is what i have right now. Glenlivet is always good, the 18 is amazing.

Macallan is something i drink more often. I save the Glen for guests.

I'm going through another wine phase right now, i haven't had a good glass of scotch in months.

My dad drinks Chivas, i don't care for it much anymore, but used to drink it when i was younger.
It's more the memories than the booze.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2020, 02:28:46 PM »
It's more the memories than the booze.

I agree to a point. There is something sentimental about sipping a nice glass of Glen 18 on the back patio. When you savor something it tends to relax you and let you enjoy it better.

I will typically drink two glasses and then switch to something different, if i'm looking to catch a buzz. ;D

Most of the time when i drink, i'm going a few drinks deep.

If i just want to get drunk, i'll just get a case of Coors Light and start drinking. ;)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2020, 02:34:36 PM »
I agree to a point. There is something sentimental about sipping a nice glass of Glen 18 on the back patio. When you savor something it tends to relax you and let you enjoy it better.

I will typically drink two glasses and then switch to something different, if i'm looking to catch a buzz. ;D

Most of the time when i drink, i'm going a few drinks deep.

If i just want to get drunk, i'll just get a case of Coors Light and start drinking. ;)
No, it's just another way of fake broadcasting your wealth. People having wine cellars....Who wears the pants?

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2020, 02:45:16 PM »
No, it's just another way of fake broadcasting your wealth. People having wine cellars....Who wears the pants?

To some people yes, it's a status symbol like driving a BMW.

But not to everyone. I don't know anyone with an actual wine cellar.

But yes, some people try to prove a point with their expensive scotch and cigar.

Some people do enjoy the taste of certain wines or scotch. No different than ordering a medium rare sirloin instead of ground beef chuck.

The thing that changed my perspective on wine many years ago, was learning what to pair certain wines with. It completely changes the flavor.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2020, 03:01:24 PM »

Growing up, I never understood the appeal of whisky - but that was all blended.  And my preferred poison would be Jamaican White Rum.

But the first time someone offered me a single malt, I suddenly got it - it had a depth that those blends lost

Me and my old man never got on (massive understatement).  But one year, for some reason I'll never understand (he's long dead) he bought me a bottle of Glenlivet

I think it's the only bottle of booze I ever really took time to savour - genuinely enjoyable

The Glenlivet scotch is absolute heaven. Too bad I am too cheap to buy it for myself. Once a co-worker gave me a fifth of The Glenlivet for Christmas. I was gobsmacked. A fifth of The Glenlivet ranges from around $37 to over $400 for the 25 year old single malt whiskey.

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2020, 03:15:40 PM »
Let me guess, alcohol. It's you fools who pay a premium for the same affect.

Who's the fool?

Hard to take criticism from a fat broke land walrus who drinks anti-freeze mixed with his own urine.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2020, 03:49:18 PM »
Macallan 12 or 15 havent had the urge to spend more. Johnny Walker blue was super.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2020, 05:15:49 PM »
Hard to take criticism from a fat broke land walrus who drinks anti-freeze mixed with his own urine.
That hurts....

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2020, 06:18:48 PM »
Oban 14  for scotch
Woodford Reserve for bourbon
Ron Zacapa 23 for rum
D.J. 1942 or Jose Cuervo Famila Reserva for tequila
CaptainDrunk7daysaweek^^^
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2020, 06:29:41 PM »
That hurts....

The only difference between you and Howard is the quart of cheap vodka you had for breakfast.

https://www.billysballbags.com/products/ballbag-face-mask?variant=31983327412293

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2020, 07:57:31 AM »
I love bourbon :)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2020, 08:25:29 PM »
I love bourbon :)

It's my preference these days

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2020, 08:32:26 PM »
A delicious 10mg edible every Saturday has been my little slice of heaven most of the year.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2020, 08:37:35 PM »
A delicious 10mg edible every Saturday has been my little slice of heaven most of the year.

hows the buzz on that?

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2020, 08:44:28 PM »
hows the buzz on that?

It's perfect.  The ones I have now activate in 45 minutes.  It seems to maintain for close to 8 hours.  I sleep great and no hangover.  Only negatives I notice are that I get really parched (dry mouth) and eat too much.  Saturday has become my cheat day, so it's not really a concern. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2020, 08:54:15 PM »
It's perfect.  The ones I have now activate in 45 minutes.  It seems to maintain for close to 8 hours.  I sleep great and no hangover.  Only negatives I notice are that I get really parched (dry mouth) and eat too much.  Saturday has become my cheat day, so it's not really a concern.

I guess the once a week thing is important just due to the eat too much possibility. 

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2020, 12:58:59 AM »
I'm a big fan of Hibiki. Its the most glorious whisky I have tasted. Always get a bottle or 2 when in Tokyo.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2020, 05:33:57 AM »
I'm a big fan of Hibiki. Its the most glorious whisky I have tasted. Always get a bottle or 2 when in Tokyo.

The Harmony? Holy shit!  Best price I see is at Dan Murphys for 200. Others are quoting 230. Surely you don't mean the 17. At $1200 a bottle, I'm confident it's way beyond both my palate and my budget.

I will keep the Harmony in mind but won't lie to you and say I'll pick one up immediately. My sole Jap whisky, the Yamazaki, definitely disappointed at $140. Would if I could exchange it for a Macallan or Lagavulin and they could keep the change. Just feeling a bit burnt by the Japs. Can you liken the Hibiki Harmony to a [hopefully more affordable] Scotch scotch, just so I know if it's muh style?

Trumpers: Freak ye not. These are Kangaroo Kopeks, not Freedom Dollars.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2020, 06:52:36 AM »
I prefer good brandy.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2020, 07:05:31 AM »
Ardbeg 10

Whoa, nelly. You want Islay? We got Islay.

Campfire at the shore nose. Not off in the distance. Your same tshirt worn over 3 consecutive long nights tending the driftwood coals. There's too much going on here flavorwise for me to interpret but after a second of sweet scotchy introduction, which I'll have to pin down later, arrives a roaring wildfire of smoke, burnt orange, and pepper. This lasts and lasts, and lasts, finally mellowing to what I'll cluelessly call jalepeno vanilla. I salivated lots.

Disclaimer: Not a Scotch connoisseur, just a dude exploring what he likes. I drink neat, as the distiller presents it. No water, no ice. Guess I'd call the Ardbeg "deep and long." It asked me to interpret what it had to offer, and I'm going to need a lot more time. This is not a boring, one dimensional scotch. Duratuon went on and on. The smoke will climb up your nose for you. How'd that get in there?

If you're not a smokey peat guy, be advised this is the deep end of the pool. I am a smokey peat guy and still thought the first glass had a little burnt rubber happening. The second, a short pour, converted me to a fan. But don't start here if you're uninitiated with Islay stuff, imho. It's by far the strongest of that kind I've had and is liable to scare people off gentler island 'stills. I liked it but it's really fuckin forward. Puffers will need their meatiest Vuelta Abajo to keep up with this Full Metal Islay.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2020, 11:34:11 PM »
The Harmony? Holy shit!  Best price I see is at Dan Murphys for 200. Others are quoting 230. Surely you don't mean the 17. At $1200 a bottle, I'm confident it's way beyond both my palate and my budget.

I will keep the Harmony in mind but won't lie to you and say I'll pick one up immediately. My sole Jap whisky, the Yamazaki, definitely disappointed at $140. Would if I could exchange it for a Macallan or Lagavulin and they could keep the change. Just feeling a bit burnt by the Japs. Can you liken the Hibiki Harmony to a [hopefully more affordable] Scotch scotch, just so I know if it's muh style?

My favorite is actually the 12 years and the 17. I have had a bottle of the 21 also, but for me the 12 and 17 hit are close to perfection. Harmony also very good, but is a blend as all the good stuff has pretty much been sold.

Well worth every dollar for me. I can make a bottle last quite some time as I only have 4-5 shots at a time so pretty good value. My preferred method of drinking is to pour into a glass straight, chill in a freezer for 10 mins or so, but with no ice or water added. Wonderful as it opens up. My little Hibiki ritual. Very very drinkable, but I make it last.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2020, 11:36:46 PM »

PS - treat yourself to the Harmony. Well well worth it. Way better and smoother than the Yamazaki - wonderful warm deep rich charcoal caramel scotch flavor. Any time of year its good but especially evening on a cold winter.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2020, 01:18:41 AM »
I guess the once a week thing is important just due to the eat too much possibility.

LOL.  I can take one on non cheat days but believe in moderation both for junk food and slightly mind altering drugs. 

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2020, 02:59:33 AM »
Ardbeg 10

Whoa, nelly. You want Islay? We got Islay.

Campfire at the shore nose. Not off in the distance. Your same tshirt worn over 3 consecutive long nights tending the driftwood coals. There's too much going on here flavorwise for me to interpret but after a second of sweet scotchy introduction, which I'll have to pin down later, arrives a roaring wildfire of smoke, burnt orange, and pepper. This lasts and lasts, and lasts, finally mellowing to what I'll cluelessly call jalepeno vanilla. I salivated lots.

Disclaimer: Not a Scotch connoisseur, just a dude exploring what he likes. I drink neat, as the distiller presents it. No water, no ice. Guess I'd call the Ardbeg "deep and long." It asked me to interpret what it had to offer, and I'm going to need a lot more time. This is not a boring, one dimensional scotch. Duratuon went on and on. The smoke will climb up your nose for you. How'd that get in there?

If you're not a smokey peat guy, be advised this is the deep end of the pool. I am a smokey peat guy and still thought the first glass had a little burnt rubber happening. The second, a short pour, converted me to a fan. But don't start here if you're uninitiated with Islay stuff, imho. It's by far the strongest of that kind I've had and is liable to scare people off gentler island 'stills. I liked it but it's really fuckin forward. Puffers will need their meatiest Vuelta Abajo to keep up with this Full Metal Islay.

Nice to see some whisky talk on here. (You don't call it Scotch in Scotland). If you like the Ardbeg 10, try Ardbeg Uigeadail of you ever get the opportunity. It's a delight. Whereas Laphraoig is generally too medicinal, Ardbeg always hits the spot. Caol Isla and Bunnahabhain are other Islay whiskies you might enjoy.

As for Japanese whisky- it's well made and stays true to the traditions of Scottish whisky making, no surprise given the story of Japan's whisky industry. I've tried a few and a bottle of Suntory in my collection at the moment.

Looking forward to some nice whisky and a cigar or two over the Christmas season, I've got plenty nice ones to choose from. Eagerly awaiting opening a bottle of Glenfarclas 21 year old.