Author Topic: College Football Fans  (Read 29028 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Re: College Football Fans
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2006, 05:12:50 PM »
The Boise St. UH game is always a good one. I love some of the matches that come out of the wac.... The guys all play with a ton of intensity and they play even harded when they are on national T.V. some of these colleges that play every week on national T.V. i think they kind of start to loose interest as to the guys who rarely play nationally they believe that it might be a thier one shot to show what they got. And one more thing to add Boise St. has had some great coaches in the last 15 years.....

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 09:57:07 PM »
we'lll agree to disagree beach bum. maybe this guy proves me wrong. good luck to him, but you will never convince me that the WAC conference is anywhere near the BCS conferences in talent week in and week out.

Boise State is a solid team and does really well at home, but everyone saw what happened when they left the smurf turf and travelled to Athens to play Georgia last year.

If they do run the table they will surely be in the top 12 BCS standings and i believe that gives them an automatic bearth into one of the BCS games. (remember there is an extra game this year. 10 bcs spots instead of 8)

of course June Jones is going to be raving about his own QB. what coach wouldn't. and watch what you read from the guys at CFN.com  they have Missouri at #8 in their rankings.  ::)  i wouldn't put alot of stock into what they say a majority of the time
Go Big Red!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2006, 01:31:59 AM »
we'lll agree to disagree beach bum. maybe this guy proves me wrong. good luck to him, but you will never convince me that the WAC conference is anywhere near the BCS conferences in talent week in and week out.

Boise State is a solid team and does really well at home, but everyone saw what happened when they left the smurf turf and travelled to Athens to play Georgia last year.

If they do run the table they will surely be in the top 12 BCS standings and i believe that gives them an automatic bearth into one of the BCS games. (remember there is an extra game this year. 10 bcs spots instead of 8)

of course June Jones is going to be raving about his own QB. what coach wouldn't. and watch what you read from the guys at CFN.com  they have Missouri at #8 in their rankings.  ::)  i wouldn't put alot of stock into what they say a majority of the time

Canadian I never said the WAC was on the same level as some BCS conferences.  What I have a problem with is discounting outstanding play solely based on a supposed "weak" conference.  For example, the MAC has three starting QBs in the NFL right now:  Pennington, Leftwich, and Roethlisberger.  The WAC has a starting QB, a Super Bowl winning QB, and several backups (Carr, Dilfer, Rattay, etc.).  The WAC puts lots of defensive players in the NFL every single year.  UH has several:  LB Pisa Tinoisamoa (sp?) starting for the Rams, LB Jeff Ulbrich starting for the Niners, DE Travis LaBoy starting for the Titans, DT Isaac Sopoaga in the rotation with SF.  We have more than that on offense currently playing in the NFL.  Our kids are playing against NFL caliber players.  No the majority are not the "blue chip" players that flock to USC, Florida, and Notre Dame, but they aren't Division IAA players either. 

I don't think every player who puts up numbers is necessarily a great player or will play at the next level, but I know talent when I see it.  That's why I'm not surprised at all that Ashley Lelie, who was one of the most dominant college WRs I've ever seen, led the NFL in yards per catch the past two seasons.  I'm not surprised Chad "Mighty Mouse" Owens is the starting punt returner for the Jags.  He returned 5 punts for TDs his senior year at UH.  He scored 5 TDs EACH against Michigan State and Northwestern, then earned MVP in the East-West Shrine game.  I could go on, but you get my drift. 

Like I said at the start of this thread, keep your eye on Colt.  I didn't say he would be Joe Montana, but I do believe he is the real deal. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2006, 06:41:45 PM »

Okay well im glad i might have changed your opinion about the WAC..... Boise St. is a great home team, Even though i am a huge fan, and hate to admit this i believe firmly that the color of the field does give us a huge edge... I've played on the field a lot in high school and one of the teams that i played for we wore blue... And our opponents had a hella of a time when we played in our blues on the big blue... It is truly a great pyschological advantage.... Yeah the georgia game wasnt a good game for the broncs.... But we shall see where we stand and how we fare in the bowl game this year but i'm bleeding boise st. blue till i die...

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 12:48:28 AM »
beach bum

i saw in another thread that you stated you played football at UH? what years did you play?

what's your opinion on the whole nickname change?
Go Big Red!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 01:00:31 AM »
beach bum

i saw in another thread that you stated you played football at UH? what years did you play?

what's your opinion on the whole nickname change?

I graduated from UH but didn't play there.  I played on the mainland before coming to UH.  We ran the option too.  Or the wishbone as they called it then.  But I guess I'm dating myself.   :)  I'm just a season ticket holder who has seen pretty much every game they've played for years. 

I think the name change was a terrific idea.  June Jones not only changed the nickname, he changed the logo on the helmet (got rid of the rainbow) and changed the uniforms (all black at home, white with silver helmets on the road).  He even got rid of the Hawaii 5-0 as the pregame warm up song and had some guy compose a warrior chant.  That one had to grow on me.  It all caused quite a ruckus with the old-timers, but they got over it.  June has been very good for the program. 

Jerry Glanville is in his second year as DC.  He's doing a great job too.  He has those boys flying around.  I hope he stays for a while.     

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2006, 11:40:35 AM »
People are going to have to start paying attention to Colt Brennan:

UH's Brennan WAC Offensive Player of Week again

Advertiser Staff

University of Hawaii junior quarterback Colt Brennan was named Western Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Week for the second week in a row.
Brennan completed 32 of 39 passes for 409 yards and five touchdowns in leading the Warriors to a 68-37 road victory over Fresno State Saturday.He also rushed for 43 net yards while playing just three quarters as UH built a 62-23 lead.

Four of Brennan's passes were dropped and another was batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Brennan also received the WAC honor the previous week when he led UH to a 41-34 victory over Nevada.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Oct/16/br/br3597416082.html

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2006, 12:12:28 PM »
does UH have a similar offense to Texas Tech? I'm trying to remember, but it's been about four years since i watched a Hawaii game.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2006, 12:22:15 PM »
does UH have a similar offense to Texas Tech? I'm trying to remember, but it's been about four years since i watched a Hawaii game.

Pretty much the same.  I think Texas Tech calls theirs the "spread," but it's still 3 or 4 WRs, single back, no TE.

When you have a WR group as talented as ours, a RB like Nate Ilaoa who is very good, and a QB who is unconscious like Colt, the offense is very difficult to stop.  I don't think any of our remaining games our nationally televised, but we close with Purdue and Oregon State.  Not sure if you can pick those up where you are, but you should try and check them out.  Very good football team.  An NFL scout said on Saturday that we have the hardest hitting team on the west coast.   

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2006, 03:07:16 PM »
Pretty much the same.  I think Texas Tech calls theirs the "spread," but it's still 3 or 4 WRs, single back, no TE.

When you have a WR group as talented as ours, a RB like Nate Ilaoa who is very good, and a QB who is unconscious like Colt, the offense is very difficult to stop.  I don't think any of our remaining games our nationally televised, but we close with Purdue and Oregon State.  Not sure if you can pick those up where you are, but you should try and check them out.  Very good football team.  An NFL scout said on Saturday that we have the hardest hitting team on the west coast.   

Hey BEACH he must've then stated that boise st. was following close behind.... was  a little disappointed in the game yesterday, with my boys.. but we still got the win and moving up still in ranking so cant complain to hard, i just expected a lil bigger point differance than what i saw.... how'd your boys hold up this week...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2006, 03:30:05 PM »
Hey BEACH he must've then stated that boise st. was following close behind.... was  a little disappointed in the game yesterday, with my boys.. but we still got the win and moving up still in ranking so cant complain to hard, i just expected a lil bigger point differance than what i saw.... how'd your boys hold up this week...

New Mexico State is actually putting up more yards and points than almost anyone in the country.  We play them this weekend.  Might be a shootout. 

We pounded Fresno State 68-37.  At Fresno.  That was saaweeeet!!   ;D  They blew us out two years at Fresno 70-14.  Really rubbed our noses in it, trying an onside kick when they already had 50+ points on the board.  We really kicked their butts this time.  Scored 28 in the first quarter.  It wasn't even as close as the final score.  They scored two meaningless TDs in the fourth against our second string players.  Our players did the haka on the bulldog logo after the game.   ;D 

We're actually rooting for Boise to get a BCS bid.  That would be good for the conference.  Plus we'd make some money too.   

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2006, 05:18:53 PM »
I'm glad to see UH doing well.  I have many friends and family who are alumni and my cousin is married to a former UH football player.

Me, I am a Buckeye fan.

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2006, 07:05:01 PM »
what is the deal with fresno state? supposed to be top 3 in the conference, then they lose to friggin' Utah State and then get hammered by 30 points at home (which you said could have been more)
Go Big Red!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2006, 07:36:13 PM »
They lost their swagger.  It's not the same team that gave USC everything it could handle last year.  They have routinely played "big conference" schools tough every year.  A major part of their demise is their QB play.  He was not very good.  I think he finally lost his job this past weekend.  I think their RB (who we knocked out of the game) was in the top ten in rushing in the country coming into the game.   

Fresno goes to LSU and Boise the next two weeks.  It will be a long season for the Bulldogs. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2006, 09:02:23 PM »
Colt Brennan is still unconscious.  Another 5 TDs in only 3 quarters.  He hasn't thrown a pick in about 4 or 5 games.  Completing 74 percent of his passes.  Best in the country.  Thirty-three TD passes.  Best in the country.  Only 5 picks.  Third in passing yards.  Highest efficiency rating in the country.

What is almost as impressive is our D is hitting like I've never seen before.  They are just laying fools out!  Knocked out three players last night.  For the season, we've knocked 10 running back and 6 QBs out of the game.  Incredible.

We have two sophomore MLBs who are going to be a force IMO:  Solomon Elimimian and Adam Leonard.  I think they both have the potential to play on Sundays.  I wanted to give them both hugs after a few hits last night.  Almost got me a little choked up.  It was beautiful.   :) 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2006, 10:00:55 AM »
Getting noticed:
UH quarterback Colt Brennan is slowly starting to get some national attention.
In ESPN.com's Heisman poll of analysts, including former players and coaches, Brennan received one fourth-place and two fifth-place votes this week, putting him in an eighth-place tie. Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith received all 15 first-place votes.

The others ahead of Brennan are (in order) Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn, West Virginia running back Steve Slaton, Rutgers running back Ray Rice, Michigan running back Mike Hart, West Virginia quarterback Pat White and Ohio State receiver Ted Ginn, Jr.

body88

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2006, 10:46:51 AM »
What do you guys think of the BC eagles? College football is not to huge around here because of the Pats, Sox, Bruins and celtics. College hockey is big here becuase of teams like NEU, BC and BU being right in the city also. The Eagles have a large following but not like in places like Cali or Texas.

I know they are not on the level of teams like Michigan and USC. But what they have done with the personal they have seems pretty impressive.

What do you guys think?

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »
1. doug flutie

2.  BC always plays good teams well . . . ask Miami.  I think any college football fan anywhere is always conscious that the Eagles can always pull the upset . . . but you're right, they're not in the Michigan USC league. 

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2006, 03:13:08 PM »
the irish have the hardest schedule out of any tem, usc 's schedule is a joke

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2006, 03:15:15 PM »

yeah, that's what they said the year they played Michigan with its serious schedule in the Rose bowl . . . and kicked their asses.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2006, 04:08:05 PM »

:-\

Notre Dame Schedule:

09/02/06 at Georgia Tech  Atlanta, GA W, 14-10
09/09/06 vs. Penn State  Notre Dame Stadium W, 41-17
09/16/06 vs. Michigan  Notre Dame Stadium L, 47-21
09/23/06 at Michigan State  East Lansing, MI W, 40-37
09/30/06 vs. Purdue  Notre Dame Stadium W, 35-21
10/07/06 vs. Stanford  Notre Dame Stadium W, 31-10
10/21/06 vs. UCLA  Notre Dame Stadium W, 20-17
10/28/06 vs. Navy  Baltimore, MD W, 38-14
11/04/06 vs. North Carolina  Notre Dame Stadium 2:30 p.m. ET
11/11/06 at Air Force  Colorado Springs, CO 4:00 p.m. ET
11/18/06 vs. Army  Notre Dame Stadium 2:30 p.m. ET
11/25/06 at USC  Los Angeles, CA

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2006, 09:04:54 PM »

are you drunk? notre dame's schedule is a joke. usc's OOC schedule is @ Arkansas, vs. Nebraska, and vs. Notre Dame. i don't think anyone in the country played a tougher OOC schedule. say what you want about the PAC 10, but nobody can say anything about USC's scheduling this year.
Go Big Red!!!

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2006, 09:10:46 PM »
What do you guys think of the BC eagles? College football is not to huge around here because of the Pats, Sox, Bruins and celtics. College hockey is big here becuase of teams like NEU, BC and BU being right in the city also. The Eagles have a large following but not like in places like Cali or Texas.

I know they are not on the level of teams like Michigan and USC. But what they have done with the personal they have seems pretty impressive.

What do you guys think?

BC is a solid team. the ACC is strange this year. no real front runner and the traditional powers (miami, FSU) are in the dumps. the loss to NC State must really bug the Eagles now because NC State hasn't looked very good lately, but if BC wins out they will be in the ACC title game and be looking at a potential BCS Bowl. their OOC schedule is a joke this year though and because they are not a traditional power they are lacking that big time win that would boost them up in the polls
Go Big Red!!!

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2006, 11:23:16 AM »
usc gets handed gifts every year, look at the usc irish game last year

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2006, 09:05:42 PM »
usc gets handed gifts every year, look at the usc irish game last year

wow thanks for your 2 posts. they really added alot to this thread. any more words of wisdom for us? ::)
Go Big Red!!!