Author Topic: Like him or not, Jerry Falwell is right on target in this article!  (Read 4590 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
NBC Not to Show Madonna on the Cross
by Jerry Falwell
October 21, 2006 04:52 PM EST

At last, after weeks of flirting with the idea of broadcasting a portion of a Madonna concert in which she appears on a giant cross wearing a crown of thorns, NBC has reportedly decided not to broadcast that portion of the song “Live to Tell.”

While I’m pleased that NBC ultimately made the right decision not to offend millions of Christians by editing out the offensive footage in “Madonna: The Confessions Tour — Live From London”, scheduled to air November 22, this is really a small victory.

You see, the broadcast and cable networks continue to assault the character of Jesus Christ on a regular basis.

Why? Because evangelical Christians and conservative Catholics are seen as pariahs. Therefore, the subject of our faith — Jesus Christ — should be mocked.

Maybe you think I’m overstating the problem.

Well, take a look.

On Comedy Central’s “South Park,” Jesus is a goofy cable access talk show host. In one recent episode, the network permitted the series to depict Jesus defecating on President Bush and the American flag, while an image of Mohammed was edited out.

After feeling the heat of criticism, Comedy Central said it would continue to “push” their content “right to the edge.” But apparently only if the religious mockery is not about Mohammed.

Last year, NBC’s “The Book of Daniel” presented Jesus as a zoned-out hippie who periodically showed up to banter with a pill-popping minister.

Further, the networks fawned all over “The da Vinci Code” novel and film — which portray Jesus in ways that totally counter the Bible — while routinely touting Islam as a religion of peace.

A couple of years ago, then-host of ABC’s “Nightline” Ted Koppel described as “awesome, beautiful, and harmonizing annual gathering” the Islamic pilgrimage known as the Hajj.

In a November 2003 column, L. Brent Bozell III, president of the Media Research Center, noting how ABC “Search for Jesus” was far less complimentary of Christianity, stated: “To ABC, Islam is holy. But Christianity is easily pierced as a fraud, an oppressive faith, a creed so repulsive that a ‘news’ division doesn’t require any evidence before it rubs salt in the wounds of our Savior.”

This is how most in the so-called mainstream media look at conservative people of faith today — with derision and contempt.

So it is when NBC plans to air the Madonna segment where she appears on the cross in a crown of thorns, the networks’ Entertainment President Kevin Reilly tells TVGuide.com, “We viewed it and, although Madonna is known for being provocative, we didn’t see it as being ultimately inappropriate.”

Of course not. In the networks’ world of “tolerance,” officials attempt to accept and understand virtually everything, except for Christianity.

Madonna — an icon of sexual openness — mocking the crucifixion of Jesus Christ is not inappropriate.

As for those of us who embrace Christ in our hearts in lives, we are essentially told that if we don’t like it to turn the channel.

Imagine that same rejoinder to the gay-rights community or to the African American community if they were offended by a planned broadcast.

Only Christians are treated this way.

The only way we win in these situations is when we contact the networks en masse to let them know that we will not tolerate their anti-Christian actions.

We should do this routinely and confidently because we have more power than even we realize. I hope we make the Madonna broadcast the first of many in which we — Christians working together — turn back the tide of anti-Christian bigotry that is standard operating procedure at the networks

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Like him or not, Jerry Falwell is right on target in this article!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 01:09:52 AM »
I'm glad NBC did the right thing. 

I wonder if the Hollywood ridicule of religion has any relationship to the fact the lifestyle of many actors/actresses is so contrary to true Christianity? 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 06:10:48 AM »
I'm glad NBC did the right thing. 

I wonder if the Hollywood ridicule of religion has any relationship to the fact the lifestyle of many actors/actresses is so contrary to true Christianity? 
I am too.  And I think you're right about the correlation between hollywood celebs and such contradiction to true Christianity.  If they don't know any better or choose not to discover the truth, then the only thing they know to do is to ridicule Christ. 

But you know what else I noticed from this decision, BB... the "values voter" is still a force to be reckoned with.  Evidently, NBC received more than 3/4 million letters pleading for them not to run the objectionable portion of Madonna's video.  I wonder if this will be an indicator come November 7th?  It gives me hope, but I'm not holding my breath.  I read this morning that more than 20 million Christians did not vote in 2004.  Not to say that all of those 20 million would have gone to George Bush, but still that's alot of people sitting home.

Clubber Lang

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 06:12:39 AM »
to you jesus is sacred, to me hes a punchline

to hindus cows are sacred, to the rest of the world they are delicious

im not really going anywhere with this, but thanks for reading ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 11:55:32 AM »
I am too.  And I think you're right about the correlation between hollywood celebs and such contradiction to true Christianity.  If they don't know any better or choose not to discover the truth, then the only thing they know to do is to ridicule Christ. 

But you know what else I noticed from this decision, BB... the "values voter" is still a force to be reckoned with.  Evidently, NBC received more than 3/4 million letters pleading for them not to run the objectionable portion of Madonna's video.  I wonder if this will be an indicator come November 7th?  It gives me hope, but I'm not holding my breath.  I read this morning that more than 20 million Christians did not vote in 2004.  Not to say that all of those 20 million would have gone to George Bush, but still that's alot of people sitting home.

I sure hope the "values voter" shows up at the polls.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 11:56:49 AM »
Jerry Fartwell....
-Larry Flint-

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 01:03:23 PM »
I sure hope the "values voter" shows up at the polls.
The mainstream media would be at a TOTAL LOSS were the "values voter" to turn out in record numbers!  The media has worked extremely hard to ensure that this type of voter doesn't show up at the poll.  In my state, the marriage amendment to the constitution is on the ballad, so I pretty sure they'll be showing up for that. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 01:12:13 PM »
The mainstream media would be at a TOTAL LOSS were the "values voter" to turn out in record numbers!  The media has worked extremely hard to ensure that this type of voter doesn't show up at the poll.  In my state, the marriage amendment to the constitution is on the ballad, so I pretty sure they'll be showing up for that. 

I think it has passed in every state that has voted on it, including ultra liberal Hawaii.   :o

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 01:21:32 PM »
I think it has passed in every state that has voted on it, including ultra liberal Hawaii.   :o
Not only that, but the average margin of approval in favor of  traditional marriage being more than a 70%!   That's why so many on the left (and their cronies, the ACLU) have been fighting to keep the marriage amendment off of the state ballads.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 05:26:21 PM »
Sorry i couldn't pass up putting my 2-mostly zinc dics into into this!

by Jerry Falwell

At last, after weeks of flirting with the idea of broadcasting a portion of a Madonna concert in which she appears on a giant cross wearing a crown of thorns, NBC has reportedly decided not to broadcast that portion of the song “Live to Tell.”

While I’m pleased that NBC ultimately made the right decision not to offend millions of Christians by editing out the offensive footage in “Madonna: The Confessions Tour — Live From London”, scheduled to air November 22, this is really a small victory.

You see, the broadcast and cable networks continue to assault the character of Jesus Christ on a regular basis.

Why? Because evangelical Christians and conservative Catholics are seen as pariahs. Therefore, the subject of our faith — Jesus Christ — should be mocked.

Pariahs?  not in this country!  Live in the south or midwest for a month and you'll see what i mean.  They are not seen a social outcasts they are seen as hypocrites!  And you only have  blow hards like pat robertson, the Bakers, that guy who locked himself in a tower until he got 10 millioin for his church etc...  to blame for that.

Then you have the good 'ole boys club of everyday ordinary hypocrites who go to church every sunday while they cheat on their wives, steal, and lie all day long.

That's why occassionally you'll see things mocked.

IF Christians acted more like chirstians they would never be mocked.  They would be respected.  but still occasionally mocked for fun.  ;D

by Jerry Falwell

Maybe you think I’m overstating the problem.

Well, take a look.

On Comedy Central’s “South Park,” Jesus is a goofy cable access talk show host. In one recent episode, the network permitted the series to depict Jesus defecating on President Bush and the American flag, while an image of Mohammed was edited out.

After feeling the heat of criticism, Comedy Central said it would continue to “push” their content “right to the edge.” But apparently only if the religious mockery is not about Mohammed.

If you haven't figured out that shock value equals $$$$$$$$ then you are terribly niave.  (BTW the madonna thing was in bad taste IMO, but it was only shock value at it's core.) That's the only reason SP does what it does.  Do we really think the creators of SP are in league with the devil and have regular visits by Satan when the writers brain storm?

The point for Christians here is they need to clean their act up.  Again start acting like Christians.  Now of course this is a internet forum, but after a while you get the basic jest of the character of most people after reading their repsonses over time.  C-500, stella and BB seem like real christians to me.

by Jerry Falwell

Further, the networks fawned all over “The da Vinci Code” novel and film — which portray Jesus in ways that totally counter the Bible — while routinely touting Islam as a religion of peace.

The whole Davinci Code thing was soundly squashed by religous backed PR campaign.  No need to even bring this up.

by Jerry Falwell

A couple of years ago, then-host of ABC’s “Nightline” Ted Koppel described as “awesome, beautiful, and harmonizing annual gathering” the Islamic pilgrimage known as the Hajj.

Do you think he said that cuase maybe it was?    ::)

by Jerry Falwell

In a November 2003 column, L. Brent Bozell III, president of the Media Research Center, noting how ABC “Search for Jesus” was far less complimentary of Christianity, stated: “To ABC, Islam is holy. But Christianity is easily pierced as a fraud, an oppressive faith, a creed so repulsive that a ‘news’ division doesn’t require any evidence before it rubs salt in the wounds of our Savior.”

This is how most in the so-called mainstream media look at conservative people of faith today — with derision and contempt.

So is this the stated position of the Network?  Have they made statements to this effect?  Or is this a tainted opinion of a conservative christian?  Or are we once again reading words that lead us to believe ABC is an agent of Islam and we better run quickly to pastor for guidence and send money to Jerry?

by Jerry Falwell

Of course not. In the networks’ world of “tolerance,” officials attempt to accept and understand virtually everything, except for Christianity.

REally?  So there are no TV shows ove rthe years like 7th Heaven, Heaven can wait, little house on the prarrie, just to name a few of the hundreds with Christian undertones?   

Now christians are victims?

Sorry guys, this article is nothing but manipulative alarmist BULL SHIT deisgned to solidfy ideology from a guaranteed blow hard.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 06:53:09 AM »
IF Christians acted more like chirstians they would never be mocked.

By this, do you mean Christians need to be perfect as Jesus was speaking of in the sermon on the mount, where he says in Matt. 5:48, "Be perfect therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect"?  Christians acting like Christians is what?  Remember there's only one difference between the Christian and the Non-Christian.  Other than that, their shortcomings are the same!  So I would like to know what you mean by that. 

Man, OzmO, you know I respect you as a person, and I respect your opinion as well.  But I gotta be completely honest with you, bro.  And I hope you'll forgive my blountness.  Your sarcasm and ridicule of your fellow brothers in Christ is very troublesome to me.  It feels like you're on the fence of what you believe in and I feel like you're more comfortable on the side against what God would have us believe more than you are for it.  I feel browbeaten at times when I read some of your posts.  Who cares if shock means money, bro.  It's still wrong.  Because I believe something like mockery of the Cruxificion is blasphemy against my Lord and Savior, I'm to be ridiculed as naive?    Bro, I know you respect folks like Stella, BB, and myself, and I am grateful for that.  But Oz, man, I PROMISE that I am just as capable of letting you down just like the Christians you speak of.  Christians cannot be perfect.  I believe Jesus said those words "be perfect" to us so that we might understand that, in fact, we CANNOT be.  And that the only way to be perfect is to be perfect in Him, the One who died on the Cross for our sins.  It's the ONLY DIFFERENCE between those who accept that, and those who don't.  The only difference!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 07:41:51 AM »
By this, do you mean Christians need to be perfect as Jesus was speaking of in the sermon on the mount, where he says in Matt. 5:48, "Be perfect therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect"?  Christians acting like Christians is what?  Remember there's only one difference between the Christian and the Non-Christian.  Other than that, their shortcomings are the same!  So I would like to know what you mean by that. 

Man, OzmO, you know I respect you as a person, and I respect your opinion as well.  But I gotta be completely honest with you, bro.  And I hope you'll forgive my blountness.  Your sarcasm and ridicule of your fellow brothers in Christ is very troublesome to me.  It feels like you're on the fence of what you believe in and I feel like you're more comfortable on the side against what God would have us believe more than you are for it.  I feel browbeaten at times when I read some of your posts.  Who cares if shock means money, bro.  It's still wrong.  Because I believe something like mockery of the Cruxificion is blasphemy against my Lord and Savior, I'm to be ridiculed as naive?    Bro, I know you respect folks like Stella, BB, and myself, and I am grateful for that.  But Oz, man, I PROMISE that I am just as capable of letting you down just like the Christians you speak of.  Christians cannot be perfect.  I believe Jesus said those words "be perfect" to us so that we might understand that, in fact, we CANNOT be.  And that the only way to be perfect is to be perfect in Him, the One who died on the Cross for our sins.  It's the ONLY DIFFERENCE between those who accept that, and those who don't.  The only difference!

Ok, ok,  look at it this way, put being christian on a scale of 1 to 10.  10 being perfect.  I believe the vast majority of proffessed christians are below 5.  They don't live with principles, knowing commit sins repeatedly, don't practice what they preach etc...  Then combine that with the many "evangelists who have been invovled in one scandal or another and you have a millions of "luke warm or tepid" Christians who need to act more and more like Christians. 

Remember, i spent a year wirth a church who follows the Bible literally.  I know you can't be prefect and i would never expect it.  But anyone can, like what your self does , hit 7-8-9. 

Another point i try to make often on this board is that many of the things we call "sins" i don't believe are sins. That's one of the by-products of a Bible I believe is written by man. (which it was)   One of which was Paul and his letters of "church doctrine".  That to me is not GOD. 

Also, I'm not against GOD.  I'm 100% for GOD all the way.  I just don't believe the BIBLE and it's group of churches all of whom Individually believe they have it right above all others in christianity is the legit representation of GOD and qualified to tell me what is a sin and what is not a sin beyond most of the 10 commandments.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 05:53:51 AM »
Quote from: OzmO
Ok, ok,  look at it this way, put being christian on a scale of 1 to 10.  10 being perfect.  I believe the vast majority of proffessed christians are below 5.  They don't live with principles, knowing commit sins repeatedly, don't practice what they preach etc...  Then combine that with the many "evangelists who have been invovled in one scandal or another and you have a millions of "luke warm or tepid" Christians who need to act more and more like Christians. 

Remember, i spent a year wirth a church who follows the Bible literally.  I know you can't be prefect and i would never expect it.  But anyone can, like what your self does , hit 7-8-9. 

So, what about those in the bible like David, a man after God's own heart, the one who was an adulterer and murderer, or Abraham, the adulterer, the father of all nations, or Moses, another murderer, someone who took the law into his own hands?  Or how about Jacob?  He stole the blessing that was supposed to go to his brother?  Where do all of these people fit in your depiction of how "Christians are supposed to act?"

Quote from: OzmO
Another point i try to make often on this board is that many of the things we call "sins" i don't believe are sins. That's one of the by-products of a Bible I believe is written by man. (which it was)   One of which was Paul and his letters of "church doctrine".  That to me is not GOD. 

Also, I'm not against GOD.  I'm 100% for GOD all the way.  I just don't believe the BIBLE and it's group of churches all of whom Individually believe they have it right above all others in christianity is the legit representation of GOD and qualified to tell me what is a sin and what is not a sin beyond most of the 10 commandments.
OzmO, if you don't believe in the Bible as fact, then where do you get your sense of truth from?   Do you pick and choose what's to be taken as fact in the Bible?  Which parts?  Do you believe that Jesus was actually born of a virgin birth?  Did David actually slay Goliath?  Were Adam and Eve the first people on earth?  Did God actually create the earth?  Are there real prophets in the Bible like Elijah, Isaiah, or Ephraim?  Which part do you say isn't truth.  What of these that I mention is not to be taken literally?  Again, where is your source of truth or fact if it's not in the Bible?  The fact that you say you don't believe in the Bible (unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying) is very telling of much of your conflict in those who believe in the word of God as fact.  I also see conflict as a whole because of your disbelief in the Bible.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 11:05:55 AM »
There's so much to this in repsonding i wonder where i should start....lol.

Let's start with the BIBLE and it's origins and go from there.

Have you ever studied the origins of the BIble and who decided how it was put together and under who's directive was it put together?

If you research it i think you'll see where i'm coming form when i say i don't believe "every word in it is the word of GOD"

Now to this:

So, what about those in the bible like David, a man after God's own heart, the one who was an adulterer and murderer, or Abraham, the adulterer, the father of all nations, or Moses, another murderer, someone who took the law into his own hands?  Or how about Jacob?  He stole the blessing that was supposed to go to his brother?  Where do all of these people fit in your depiction of how "Christians are supposed to act?"

First of all these are Jews not Christians.  If David, who was after GOD's own heart cheated on his wife then was he truely in his heart trying to follow GOD?   You see, i believe that if you are married there is NO EXCUSE for cheating.  Cheating is pre-meditated not incidental.  David should have been in prison for life at the very least or executed for taking another man's wife.  Yet we are supposed to respect this man?  Don't even get me started on Moses who killed 3000 women and Children.   THIS IS NOT GOD!  THESE ARE NOT CHRISTIANS!  it todays society Moses would be tried for WAR CRIMES.  DAVID would be in the same prison as any murderer. 

So when you say:  Where do all of these people fit in your depiction of how "Christians are supposed to act?"   No, these are not christian.  They don't fit into it.  Why? becuase if you research how the BIble was put together you'll realize those books are history not scripture. 

OzmO, if you don't believe in the Bible as fact, then where do you get your sense of truth from?   Do you pick and choose what's to be taken as fact in the Bible?  Which parts?  Do you believe that Jesus was actually born of a virgin birth?  Did David actually slay Goliath?  Were Adam and Eve the first people on earth?  Did God actually create the earth?  Are there real prophets in the Bible like Elijah, Isaiah, or Ephraim?  Which part do you say isn't truth.  What of these that I mention is not to be taken literally?  Again, where is your source of truth or fact if it's not in the Bible?  The fact that you say you don't believe in the Bible (unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying) is very telling of much of your conflict in those who believe in the word of God as fact.  I also see conflict as a whole because of your disbelief in the Bible.

There is plenty of truth in the BIBle.  Do on to others.....As a man thinkith, so is he...  etc...  that's were i get some of it.  Others i get from other teachings and religoins that have the "word of GOD" in it but isn't laid out and identified the way it is in the BIble. 

Was Adam and Eve the first people in earth?  Well, there had to obviously be 2 people who were the first right?  Where they the peole who Bible scholars have determined based on the BIBLe to be created about 4000 BC?  No i don't believe that, too much evidence says otehrwise.   Did GOD create every thing we see?  Yes.  How did he create it?  Did he create partially through different forms of evolution?  Possibly, we don;t know the truth yet as we are still discovering many things that support and detract from evolution. 

Were there real profits?  I believe there were people back then who were endowed with the spirit of god in such a way that were more in touch with it than you or i are and i believe that still happens today.  Thsoe profit's legacy and teaching were written down in these books.  Were all their words true to GOD?  No.  Why?  Becuase they are men.  Men are not perfect and in no way can duplicate GOD perfection.  That's another reason why the BIBLe is not the 100% word of GOD. 

The word of GOD is fact.  But the BIBLe isn't 100% the word of GOD. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 11:36:03 AM »
Which still begs an answer to my question?  I know you speak of the theoretical teachings in the Bible as fact.  But where else do you decipher fact from fiction?  What other sources are you using to dispute the bible.  Yes, the Catholic Church put together the bible as we know it.  I know all of that.  You'll have to forgive my ignorance in not understanding you when you say that God's word is infallable, but the Bible is not fact?  Which books put together by the Catholics are we to believe or not to believe?  There's some serious fence-straddling on the fence that separates the world from God when I read your posts.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 12:08:47 PM »
Ozmo you talked about how hypocritical Christians can be: 

"Ok, ok,  look at it this way, put being christian on a scale of 1 to 10.  10 being perfect.  I believe the vast majority of proffessed christians are below 5.  They don't live with principles, knowing commit sins repeatedly, don't practice what they preach etc..."

Colossus pointed out how pretty much all Christians fall in that category, including some fairly significant religious people like Abraham, Moses, and David.  I think the disciples fall in that category too.  Some of them were a bunch of weak minded, faithless wimps. 

Man we've all sinned and come short.  Do you know any perfect people?  I don't.  I think all of us have various "issues" we struggle with and we repeatedly fall down.  That's part of the reason I am on my knees at church every week confessing.  I'm just glad I don't have to sacrifice an animal like the old days.  It would be one bloody weekend.       

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 12:23:06 PM »
I think the catholic (not capitalized) church and the Catholic (capitalized) church are two different things.  catholic meaning universal...the way I infer it means "group that holds the same belief as Christ as Savior" whereas the Catholic church is so far from what I believe that I would be in the non-capitalized version but NEVER the capitalized version.

Anyway, people do for some reason tend to hold Christians to a higher standard of behavior even though we are all just as bad or good as non-Christians.  We ALL still live in our fleshly bodies which are bent toward our own pleasure and a lot of time that means sin.

As Ozmo says Christians SHOULD behave better, and I think he's right and here's why:  Christians have the Holy Spirit of God living inside of us which enables us to resist some things we know we should resist, and engage in things for God in which we know we should engage.  We have more power than the non-saved to avoid sin. 

Now, does that mean that we DO avoid sin as much as we can?  Of course not.  But some people are much better at it than others and I think these are the people that are reading the bible daily and praying/talking with God frequently every day.  And they consciously try to please God in things they do or from which they refrain.  The ones that act "most Christian" are the ones that have God as their highest priority the majority of the time. 

Do I fit that category?  No :-[  I KNOW I can be better but I'm not.  I tend to fluctuate on how close I am to God but I am the one that moves away....not Him.

I do know, however, the more I am in the bible, the more it's on my mind, the more I think about God during the day and the way He wants me to live, the better my behavior.

I agree w/Colossus that the bible IS the word of God, with very very few "mistakes."  We just had a sermon on the bible and it's accuracy etc.  Other than a few (extreme small percent) of copying errors etc....I'm confident the bible we have is the one God wants us to have.  I know how I'm different when I'm into it faithfully.

OzMo, you might want to read "Why We Can Trust the Bible" by Erwin Lutzer...I'll try to find that (it's here somewhere) and post some stuff up.

As for the hypocrisy in Christians, you can bet it will stand out more from someone who engages in behavior that they are supposed to condemn.  A friend of my husband's used to greet him with "So what are you doing for the Lord?" question every time he would see him.  Later we find out this guy had been having a 2 year affair w/his secretary ::)  It's over, he and the wife worked it out, but it's hard for me not to be dissapointed in him.  He IS a Christian w/the power of the Holy Spirit to avoid these things and he didn't.  Just like me who drank an entire bottle of wine last night and cussed at the gym today (and probably in the car several times :-[ ).  We are all "the same."

I think the reason hypocritical Christians (which we all are-because all people are hypocrites to a degree) are so hated is because some Christians are pointing their fingers at other "sinners" and judging them, but of course each and every human being on earth is a sinner and sins daily.  When people are judged they tend to get defensive.

Ok...what were we talking about again?  Pardon my long post :P -
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 01:20:45 PM »
Ozmo you talked about how hypocritical Christians can be: 

"Ok, ok,  look at it this way, put being christian on a scale of 1 to 10.  10 being perfect.  I believe the vast majority of proffessed christians are below 5.  They don't live with principles, knowing commit sins repeatedly, don't practice what they preach etc..."

Colossus pointed out how pretty much all Christians fall in that category, including some fairly significant religious people like Abraham, Moses, and David.  I think the disciples fall in that category too.  Some of them were a bunch of weak minded, faithless wimps. 

Man we've all sinned and come short.  Do you know any perfect people?  I don't.  I think all of us have various "issues" we struggle with and we repeatedly fall down.  That's part of the reason I am on my knees at church every week confessing.  I'm just glad I don't have to sacrifice an animal like the old days.  It would be one bloody weekend.       

I don't know any perfect people,  but i do know a lot of 8's and 9's.  that's my point, 8 and 9 is well with in our ability, it's just a matter of the choices we make.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 07:37:02 PM »

I agree w/Colossus that the bible IS the word of God, with very very few "mistakes."  We just had a sermon on the bible and it's accuracy etc.  Other than a few (extreme small percent) of copying errors etc....I'm confident the bible we have is the one God wants us to have.  I know how I'm different when I'm into it faithfully.

Even you see there are mistakes.  These mistakes are from men.  If the BIBLE was the word of GOD then there wouldn't be any mistakes.  So becuase there are mistake how can you be sure the rest of the isn't a mistake and is really man's agenda of the time.

Let's ask this question to all of you,  BB C-500 and Stella:

Why is the BIBLE the "word of God"?  How can you prove it?  How do you know?

Why isn't historical and religous agenda writings of man with the wisdom of GOD threaded in it? 

Please answer without quoting what the bible says of it's self.  (Johnny had a agruement angle like this  ::))

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 08:42:42 PM »
Sorry guys, this article is nothing but manipulative alarmist BULL SHIT deisgned to solidfy ideology from a guaranteed blow hard.

In absolute 1000% agreement with you on this comment.
It was Madonna herself who agreed not to include that portion in the broadcast. She made the decision, not them
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 01:26:21 AM »
Even you see there are mistakes.  These mistakes are from men.  If the BIBLE was the word of GOD then there wouldn't be any mistakes.  So becuase there are mistake how can you be sure the rest of the isn't a mistake and is really man's agenda of the time.

Let's ask this question to all of you,  BB C-500 and Stella:

Why is the BIBLE the "word of God"?  How can you prove it?  How do you know?

Why isn't historical and religous agenda writings of man with the wisdom of GOD threaded in it? 

Please answer without quoting what the bible says of it's self.  (Johnny had a agruement angle like this  ::))

What I've done is read various passages and promises, followed the advice/recommendations/commands, and seen results in my life.  For example, the tithe I pay has been returned to me many times over, just as the Bible said it would be.  I've found that a soft answer does indeed turn away wrath, just as the Bible says it will.  I've seen that what goes around, comes around, just like Solomon says.  I've experienced humbling myself so God can exalt me, as the Bible promised would happen.  Too many scenarios to recount.  Bottom line for me is I've tested God and the Bible and have seen results.  That's good enough for me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 01:27:38 AM »
In absolute 1000% agreement with you on this comment.
It was Madonna herself who agreed not to include that portion in the broadcast. She made the decision, not them

Riiiight.  Sort of like the person who "resigns" in lieu of being fired. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2006, 08:19:54 AM »
OzmO:

I like to listen to this guys sermons and I think you'll get something out of this regarding the accuracy/trustworthiness of the bible:

please go to

http://www.ewo.org/     

and over in the upper right hand corner click on "The New Testament the trustworthiness of it's......"

It will play a very interesting "sermon" about why you can trust the NT

Please let me know what you think :)

R

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2006, 09:21:41 AM »
What I've done is read various passages and promises, followed the advice/recommendations/commands, and seen results in my life.  For example, the tithe I pay has been returned to me many times over, just as the Bible said it would be.  I've found that a soft answer does indeed turn away wrath, just as the Bible says it will.  I've seen that what goes around, comes around, just like Solomon says.  I've experienced humbling myself so God can exalt me, as the Bible promised would happen.  Too many scenarios to recount.  Bottom line for me is I've tested God and the Bible and have seen results.  That's good enough for me.

that's pretty close on to the way i see the Bible:  There are many things in it that are the word of GOD,  But NOT every word in it.  And becuase it is not every word than the whole book isn't the WORD of GOD.  Therfore it is not a legitamite tool for others to determine what are "sins" outside the major ones such as murder, adultry, stealing etc...

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2006, 04:22:24 PM »
I want to know, how do we know what Jesus looked like. Isn't the whole, "thou shalt not have any engraving image of GOD", pertain to Jesus as well?

We assume incorrectly the man had long hair... ( which at that time would be uncommon)