Author Topic: Flat Bench Press - is full depth really necessary?  (Read 17113 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Flat Bench Press - is full depth really necessary?
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2006, 12:38:52 PM »

Not getting in the middle of this one, BUT, ANYONE can post anything on Wikipedia which may or may not be accurate information. ;)

Ok.  Carry on.  :-*

:P

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2006, 04:55:25 PM »
i have never gone all the way down to my chest on flat bench. i have real long arms and the natural lowest point i can extend down is about and inch 1/2 above my chest. i physically cannot bring it down any lower than that. if i tried to force it with barbell in hand, i have no doubt i would tear something.

i always go all the way UP though and lock out fully on each rep.

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2006, 12:34:47 AM »
yes, bring it down all the way to your chest - in a slow and controlled manner.

Then procrastinate going to a doctor in the same slow and controlled manor, and you will be all nice
and F#$Ked up ready for shoulder surgery.  Seriously,  you should never allow the back of your arms to go lower than your back.  If you are really thick and short you may touch, but for most people you won't.  Plus too many people try to bounce it off their chest.  Slow and controlled is right, but don't touch the chest.  Shoulder Sockets are not made for it.  If you need to get a good stretch use dumbells and do flies on a flat bench.  All you will need is 30 or 40 pounds and you will get a good stretch for chest.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2006, 05:11:19 AM »
Quote from: pobrecito on November 01, 2006, 08:51:25 AM
yes, bring it down all the way to your chest - in a slow and controlled manner.

Then procrastinate going to a doctor in the same slow and controlled manor, and you will be all nice
and F#$Ked up ready for shoulder surgery.

You have to love the "experts" like "pobrecito" telling people how to $%@#$% their shoulders up. Nice work.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2006, 07:09:37 AM »
You have to love the "experts" like "pobrecito" telling people how to $%@#$% their shoulders up. Nice work.

hahahahaha.....yes...and ironically, YOU are the one with the two fucked up shoulders LOL. How do you EXPLAIN that ;)

I am injury free and my shoulders are in great condition benching all the way to the chest, slow and controlled.

Oh, and let's see....Ronnie Coleman....Dorian Yates....Jay Cutler...ALL bench to the chest. I think they know a little more about training than you ;)

Pumpster OWNED yet again! It's too easy!! :) 8)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2006, 07:35:25 AM »
YOU are the one with the two fucked up shoulders LOL. How do you EXPLAIN that
Good workout today idiot.

Others see your lameness.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2006, 07:42:19 AM »
Please explain your two fucked up shoulders Pumpster.

Please explain why Ronnie benches to the chest with 495lbs? Please explain why Dorian benches to the chest with 415lbs on incline? Shouldn't their shoulders be destroyed? Why is it that you destroyed your shoulders benching half way? Bet you wish you could go back and change things now....now you have to deal with a fucked up musculature for the rest of your life.....

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2006, 08:22:29 AM »
Had an excellent workout yesterday, troll.

Everything you say related to training screams 13-year old. Get in touch with this guy and straighten him out too..
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=105385.0

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2006, 08:26:06 AM »
This thread sucks...

just do whatever you please...

i've been benching to my chest for almost 9 years and have never had a shoulder problem...

i'd like to know how strong some of these gurus are? any of you bench over 400?

Good luck!

8)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2006, 08:46:21 AM »
i've been benching to my chest for almost 9 years and have never had a shoulder problem...

i'd like to know how strong some of these gurus are? any of you bench over 400?

Good question. "Pobrecito" i'm sure would like to share his max...

This guy's starting to have shoulder problems..his fault or bad form huh?  ::)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2006, 12:17:28 PM »
Good question. "Pobrecito" i'm sure would like to share his max...

This guy's starting to have shoulder problems..his fault or bad form huh?  ::)

could be either...

most shoulder injuries are from bad form or too much weight...

without watching someone bench it is hard to tell.

again i have never had a person get injured by following my training advice, but it's always advice given in person and not over the internet. everyone i train uses full ROM.

8)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2006, 12:20:20 PM »
most shoulder injuries are from bad form or too much weight...

without watching someone bench it is hard to tell.

again i have never had a person get injured by following my training advice, but it's always advice given in person and not over the internet. everyone i train uses full ROM.

It's unwise to speak in absolutes like this. Free the mind of preconceptions about it being either/or when it may be neither. Your own experiences aren't sufficient to make broader generalizations. I can point to at least 3 guys here who've had shoulder problems, and it's not a sure thing that either of your guesses would hold in their cases.

TDK

• Getbig II
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2006, 01:35:09 PM »

hahahahaha.....yes...and ironically, YOU are the one with the two fucked up shoulders LOL. How do you EXPLAIN that ;)

I am injury free and my shoulders are in great condition benching all the way to the chest, slow and controlled.

Oh, and let's see....Ronnie Coleman....Dorian Yates....Jay Cutler...ALL bench to the chest. I think they know a little more about training than you ;)

Pumpster OWNED yet again! It's too easy!! :) 8)

actually in Flex's article on Jay's chest training when prepping for the 05 Olympia is clearly stated that Jay stops 2 inches above his chest and 2 inches short of lockout.  Ronnie may bench to the chest but he is way short of lockout just like his squats, so again this is not full ROM.  Dorian is the only one of the three who does full ROM.

Charles Glass has all his guys stop 2 inches short of the chest on Incline Presses and most forms of Bench Press.  That's Gunther, Cormier, Flex, Dillett etc etc etc

I'd say most pros dont do full ROM.  Some may stop 2 inches above the chest, some 2 inches short of lockout and some do both.  Very few do full ROM like Yates.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2006, 02:16:30 PM »
Some much for the internet experts! hahahahaahhaahahahha

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2006, 02:31:37 PM »
actually in Flex's article on Jay's chest training when prepping for the 05 Olympia is clearly stated that Jay stops 2 inches above his chest and 2 inches short of lockout.  Ronnie may bench to the chest but he is way short of lockout just like his squats, so again this is not full ROM.  Dorian is the only one of the three who does full ROM.

Charles Glass has all his guys stop 2 inches short of the chest on Incline Presses and most forms of Bench Press.  That's Gunther, Cormier, Flex, Dillett etc etc etc

I'd say most pros dont do full ROM.  Some may stop 2 inches above the chest, some 2 inches short of lockout and some do both.  Very few do full ROM like Yates.

Jay benches to the chest in every video I have seen him in - including ripped to shreds and one step closer.
Your comments on Ronnie are insignificant - he benches to the chest
Yates benched to the chest.

Pumpster keeps pussyfooting around the question...

Why are your shoulders messed up?
And if Ronnie Coleman has been benching to the chest for over 20 years....with the poundages he uses, why are his shoulders in better shape than yours?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2006, 03:02:17 PM »
Some much for the internet experts! hahahahaahhaahahahha

what's so funny?

you are the guy with fucked up shoulders.

i'll continue to bench correctly with perfect form and continue to grow stronger...

8)

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2006, 03:07:51 PM »
what's so funny?

i'll continue to bench correctly with perfect form and continue to grow stronger...

8)

Exactly.

And pumpster will be that guy in the gym benching half way and doing 1/4 squats and wondering why he never grows

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2006, 04:51:23 PM »
Quote from: Overload on Today at 06:02:17 PM
what's so funny?

Exactly.

And pumpster will be that guy in the gym benching half way and doing 1/4 squats and wondering why he never grows

2 geniuses congratulating themselves on their ignorance while others continue to contradict them. hahaahahahahaahahahahaha hahah

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2006, 05:08:15 PM »
hmm let's see... healthy shoulders.....fucked up shoulders...

Yeah...congratulate yourself on that  ;)

peace out 8)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2006, 06:02:56 PM »
hahahahahaha the troll with 14" arms and nothing to contribute as far as real training info.

Bottom line you've been contradicted here by others. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2006, 06:13:58 PM »
Overload has to start showing some intelligence by looking beyond his own narrow views-not bright. There are several guys on here who already disprove your dumb theory. It's truly pompous of you to assume to speak for all others you idiot, and to try to make it personal about me, which is desperate.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2006, 06:18:47 PM »
Here's a previous post that's been conveniently ignored. The guys mentioned obliterate your dumb generalizations. Overload's at least sincere in his naivete, whereas the other guy's a troll unable to add anything of value.

FYI overload, Charles Glass is da man, far more knowledgeable than you based on your current myopia. In part because he doesn't share your arrogance. I'm not gonna charge you for this enlightenment, but you owe me big-time.   ;)

To the troll: post your 14" arm program for us. hahahahahahahahaahha

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2006, 09:53:16 PM »
I always do full range of motion but just recently i hurt my self so as of right now i can only come down about 2 inches away from the chest, at least until i get better.
bodybuildersreality.com

TDK

• Getbig II
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2006, 01:03:39 AM »
pobrecito:  Jay may have used to have benched with a ROM but he doesn't anymore.  You will see this in his new video.  He uses a limited ROM on most exercises.

According to you it doesnt matter if Ronnie is 2 inches short of lockout?  But this is not full ROM.  So according to you from an earlier post this is not a real bench press.

I hurt my shoulder today and now its the morning it hurts badly.  I went to the chest on incline presses.  I'm going to try to stop 2 inches short and see if that helps at all.  Although it will take some getting used to there are many many pros and ametuer BBers who have had success with this.

I think what Pumpster is trying to tell people is that he messed up his shoulders using a full ROM and now he uses a slightly more limited ROM which saves his shoulders from further damage.  I happen to agree.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2006, 07:29:45 AM »
Overload has to start showing some intelligence by looking beyond his own narrow views-not bright. There are several guys on here who already disprove your dumb theory. It's truly pompous of you to assume to speak for all others you idiot, and to try to make it personal about me, which is desperate.

Not trying to make anything personal, just stating that you have fucked up shoulders and i don't...i also compete so i have to bench correctly to get an approved lift attempt.

No more arguements...i'll continue benching properly and my bench will go up. all these half rep guys who bench 275 can do as they please.

Dumb theory? the biggest benchers in the world agree with my theory of benching correctly using full ROM. i guess men who bench over 500 pounds are idiots...silly me.

8)