Author Topic: Sergio 1976 - 1985  (Read 41445 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: Sergio 1976 - 1985
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 02:47:38 PM »
sergio loses all credibility because he juiced for that physique and now looks like a pile of shit because of the juice causing all sorts of problems

serge nubret is still a bad motha fucka to this day
A

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 02:48:39 PM »
Sergio and his lovely bride who shot him

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 02:50:45 PM »
the title suggests that he died in 1985

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 03:09:59 PM »

Not sure what contest the pic on the left is but it does say 1976 in a 1993 Musclemag (possibly the WBBG Olympus show). The shot from the right is definately the 1980 WABBA World Championships in France where Sergio beat Bertil Fox.

Definately the 1984 Olympia. This is Sergio's all time worst condition IMO, he looked like he hadn't eaten or trained in months, although he does look better in the pics than the film of the show. He dieted on tuna & vegetables for this show when he should have stuck with burgers and coke. If he had of showed up like he did at the 1980 WABBA show, he would have placed 2nd behind Haney or even won.

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 03:46:12 PM »
Sergio was the best Mr. O that ever lived.

Some of his best pics that I found online:

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006, 03:51:18 PM »
Topic: Sergio 1976 - 1985.

Sergio died when he was only 9 yrs old? :'(.   
a

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2006, 03:56:48 PM »
A couple more.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2006, 04:04:40 PM »
Pure mesomorph.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2006, 04:50:09 PM »
Check out his arms they look bigger than his quads !!

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 04:51:29 PM »
Sergio was the best Mr. O that ever lived.

Some of his best pics that I found online:

would you look at that...a black man with calves.

Simply awesome.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2006, 04:53:29 PM »
would you look at that...a black man with calves.

Simply awesome.

Dillett had great calves , as did Johnny Fuller , Chris Dickerson , Vince Taylor !

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2006, 05:00:47 PM »

Check out his arms they look bigger than his quads !!

The story goes that Ben Weider's son saw Sergio at the 1969 Olympia and said "Daddy, who's the man with the four legs".

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

logical?

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2006, 05:17:46 PM »
I have to laugh when people compare Arnold to Sergio.  Arnold had Sergio beat on chest and calves and overall conditioning.  Not much more.

I completely agree. And it's not like he beat him by a mile on chest- Sergio's was fantastic.

logical?

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2006, 05:28:50 PM »
Arnold had more market appeal and of course Joe Weider's goal was to sell magazines, what any good businessman would want to do.  But as good as Arnold was he still had characteristics of a human being while Sergio was all cartoon.  I don't think we'll ever see a taper like his again.

It makes sense. Bodybuilding as an industry was only in the earliest of phases of growth- it's a privately run, profitable industry, so you do the most you can to make sure it's as profitable as possible. What does this mean? Better marketing- and of course, that means Arnold as the figurehead.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2006, 05:29:41 PM »
I have to laugh when people compare Arnold to Sergio.  Arnold had Sergio beat on chest and calves and overall conditioning.  Not much more.

Arnold had Sergio beat on abdominals , biceps , and his posing ability not to mention conditioning , Sergio by far has a better natural structure I mean his proportions are just mindboggling but you need to be more than just big to be the best Arnold found this out in 1968 and Zane thought him .

logical?

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2006, 05:31:31 PM »
Arnold had Sergio beat on abdominals , biceps , and his posing ability not to mention conditioning , Sergio by far has a better natural structure I mean his proportions are just mindboggling but you need to be more than just big to be the best Arnold found this out in 1968 and Zane thought him .

It's probably debatable that Arnold beat Sergio on abs because he had better conditioning. Remember, whilst Sergio had crappy abs, he also had off conditioning. And Arnold's were weird- he had a four-pack.

Further, I think the biceps issue is a matter of taste. Peak is cool, but I've always thought that long biceps like Sergio and Levrone's are much more powerful-looking and impressive.

Posing ability doesn't affect who had the better physique.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2006, 05:34:25 PM »

Posing ability doesn't affect who had the better physique.

Intrinsically, no. However, you would be very, very foolish to say that poor posing would not hinder one's competitive ability.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2006, 05:36:06 PM »

According to this clown, (1) politics and mag sales had nothing to do with contest decisions because nothing was conclusively proven, and (2) Schwarzenegger was far out in front, no contest.  ::)

Laughable. A laughing stock. Funny how in both cases he puts the white BB (Yates, Arnold) far ahead of the black BB, with not an shred of justification.

logical?

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2006, 05:37:42 PM »
Intrinsically, no. However, you would be very, very foolish to say that poor posing would not hinder one's competitive ability.

Of course- that's not what I'm saying. But posing ability comes down to marketability- both in terms of winning a contest, and figureheading a new, growing industry.

Sergio- markedly better bodybuilder.

Arnold- markedly better contestant/competitor.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2006, 05:38:15 PM »

It makes sense. Bodybuilding as an industry was only in the earliest of phases of growth- it's a privately run, profitable industry, so you do the most you can to make sure it's as profitable as possible. What does this mean? Better marketing- and of course, that means Arnold as the figurehead.

I personally don't think Arnold was any more marketable than Sergio , you have a Austrian with a heavy German accent or a Cuban with a heavy Spanish one , I don't buy either one being more marketable than a very clean cut college educated Frank Zane with a build that appeared attainable , or the tall blond blue eyed , epitome of muscle beach Dave Draper

Joe Weider did say if he put Arnold on the cover of his magazine he would sell more , but people make the leap that he fixed contests in order to do so which is a stretch , Arnold was on the magazines long before he started winning and if he wanted to fix the contests to promote Arnold , he would have never lost to Frank Zane in 68 or Sergio in 69 , it just defies logic

Lee Haney was Mr Olympia in the 1980s yet he didn't appear on the cover of Flex or Muscle & Fitness as much as Shawn Ray , who was ' marketable '

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2006, 05:39:42 PM »
According to this clown, (1) politics and mag sales had nothing to do with contest decisions because nothing was conclusively proven, and (2) Schwarzenegger was far out in front, no contest.  ::)

Laughable.

You're idiot I never once claimed Arnold was for out in front your a LIAR I never once said it was NO contest I actually said the 1972 Mr Olympia that Arnold looks better in some pics and Sergio in others and either way it was a close contest .

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2006, 05:40:34 PM »
I personally don't think Arnold was any more marketable than Sergio , you have a Austrian with a heavy German accent or a Cuban with a heavy Spanish one , I don't buy either one being more marketable than a very clean cut college educated Frank Zane with a build that appeared attainable , or the tall blond blue eyed , epitome of muscle beach Dave Draper

Joe Weider did say if he put Arnold on the cover of his magazine he would sell more , but people make the leap that he fixed contests in order to do so which is a stretch , Arnold was on the magazines long before he started winning and if he wanted to fix the contests to promote Arnold , he would have never lost to Frank Zane in 68 or Sergio in 69 , it just defies logic

Lee Haney was Mr Olympia in the 1980s yet he didn't appear on the cover of Flex or Muscle & Fitness as much as Shawn Ray , who was ' marketable '

Following this idiotic reasoning, just because ND "personally doesn't think Arnold was more marketable" then it was 100% untrue & the excuses continue. hahaahahahahahah

logical?

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2006, 05:42:05 PM »

Arnold was doing the 'American dream'. Politically, Cuba was hardly a friend of America. Finally, Arnold was willing to do what it took- I doubt Sergio complied with the Weirders' wishes as much as Arnold.

ND, it doesn't 'defy' logic. You should stop using such remarkable hyperbole. Just because you can't think of why, doesn't mean anyone else can.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2006, 05:44:07 PM »
Arnold had better biceps IMO.
Squishy face retard

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2006, 05:45:54 PM »
Breaking down individual areas is a weak strategy for overlooking Oliva's overall advantages in taper, balance and overall size, which are some of the most fundamental elements. On individual areas there was advantages for both that have nothing to do with the above.

As far as conditioning, this is a convenient rationalization because Oliva was in shape when it counted-exactly why his challenge to Schwarzenegger sitting in the audience was refused at a neutral contest. I'm quite sure that had Oliva not been in shape, Schwarzenegger would've been right up there posing, just as Columbu did.