Author Topic: Mr.O 1980  (Read 6746 times)

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
Re: Mr.O 1980
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 06:49:42 PM »
you can read Mentzer's lips when he is handed the award for his placing.. he said.. "this is bullshit".. HAHAHAHA

You noticed that too, huh?  :D

AVBG

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2007, 06:53:37 PM »
You noticed that too, huh?  :D

even a blind man could've  ;D

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2007, 08:18:02 PM »
I love how Metzner always talked about "I got 2nd the year before, came in better than last year and I get fifth!"
He's comparing himself to himself. Yes, he may have been better than himself, but many others could have been better too! And that is why he placed 5th at the '80 Olympia, and didn't get the trophy like expected- because he thought since he improved himself that year, that nobody else would.

Stavios

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2007, 08:25:21 PM »
in some pics arnold looks very average compared to the other guys

in other pictures doing the same pose he dwarf them 

weird

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 05:39:41 AM »
in some pics arnold looks very average compared to the other guys

in other pictures doing the same pose he dwarf them 

weird

not really, he look's average compared to his former self, and because we all know is Arnold coming after 5 years, if he was a stranger with that same physique that showed up in 1980, not only would he dwarf the rest but nobody would b complaining.

kilojoule

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 05:50:09 AM »

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 06:00:57 AM »
Arnold is so great even when he is not anywhere near his best shape he still owns the competition, don't forget he was the best ever at presentation which used to mean allot unlike now.
I

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 06:02:54 AM »
Everyone knows arnie blew all the judges before the show, even his buddy Reg Park
X

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 06:56:42 AM »
Mentzer had convinced(deluded)himself that he'd improved from the previous show, and that this one was in the bag(much like Platz did too).
When it started becoming apparent, or reality sunk in that he wasnt the clear winner he thought he was, he started freaking out and refusing to face the facts. In the process he took his frustation out on the obviously superior and ultra-confident Arnold.
Mentzer obviously had a lot of emotional baggage, and that finished him.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 07:01:28 AM »
If I can get access to the photos I took at the Olympia I will write the story about the Olympia that no magazine would publish then. I gave that story to Mike in 1991 and I doubt he kept it. I have the original judges sheets as well. I also went on the harbour cruise with the competitors after the contest.

Arnold won narrowly but he was mates with most of the judges. There were some rules broken by Arnold and one judge was replaced by a junior because he missed the judges meeting that he wasn't told about. Paul, the promoter, lived with Arnold in 1968. I've told the story several times but not in the detail written in that story. I didn't hear anyone say that Mike was the best. Most thought Chris Dickerson was. It was a close contest even for the places. They awarded trophies to the top 5 guys. Most of those trophies were smashed back stage. No one ripped up a cheque. That was the last year trophies were awarded for places.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 07:06:03 AM »
  That was the last year trophies were awarded for places.

Because medals are more durable, and can withstand smashing?

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2007, 07:07:16 AM »
Yes Mentzer wanted to go after Arnold, because Arnold coudn't stop laughing at prejudging !!

In this pic, Arnold can't believe that Mike look's blocky, with a gut and not chest at all,  after bragging all year he was a good b.b....

BWaaahahahahahahhaha

Woshhhhhhhhhhhhh

that's not true.  Metzer went after Arnold at a competitors meeting and Arnie was being a dick.  Arnie was the only one who wanted to keep the under 200lbs class and the over seperate.  Boyer Coe asked Arnold to explain why-since I think the meeting had been drug out way longer than anyone thought because of this-Arnold insulted Boyer and that's when Mike went nuts.  As soon as Mike went at Arnold he sat down which is the famous confrontation pic of Metzer pointing at Arnold and Arnold sitting in that chair.
nasser=piece of shit

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2007, 07:12:16 AM »
that's not true.  Metzer went after Arnold at a competitors meeting and Arnie was being a dick.  Arnie was the only one who wanted to keep the under 200lbs class and the over seperate.  Boyer Coe asked Arnold to explain why-since I think the meeting had been drug out way longer than anyone thought because of this-Arnold insulted Boyer and that's when Mike went nuts.  As soon as Mike went at Arnold he sat down which is the famous confrontation pic of Metzer pointing at Arnold and Arnold sitting in that chair.

How do you know these facts?

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2007, 07:14:54 AM »

I've read about it a bunch of times over the years and all the stories are pretty consistant.  Arnold was just f'ing with everyone and trying to piss them off however he could.  I don't think he ever expected someone to go after him.
nasser=piece of shit

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2007, 07:20:36 AM »
Arnold looks overlay cocky in all the pics, like he knew he was going to win. He slept with the right people, thats how he won.

Arnold  is an all around asshole with no legs. Mentzer was the best overall.

How some of you defend him is amazing. He was not a nice man and yet you guys make him your God.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2007, 07:20:58 AM »
Yeah, it seems Arnie always suffered from low self-esteem...

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2007, 07:34:19 AM »
Yeah, it seems Arnie always suffered from low self-esteem...

in his mind he was f'ing with people to get them off thier game.  There's a pic from that show and everyone but Zane is hitting thier pose, Zane is laughing cause Arnold told him a joke, arnold did that on purpose to mess with him.

Arnold at the meeting I was talking about was the only hold out for the 2 class system.  Boyer Coe eventually stood up and said "arnold why don't you just explain to us why you think that system is better" or something like that and arnold replied with "Boyer..don't talk like a child, if you're gonna talk to me talk to me like a man" or something along those lines and that's when Metzer lost it.

There's lots of stories about Arnold training at the nautilus center with Arthur Jones that are pretty funny, it's all one sided stuff but Arthur basically says Arnold trained like a pussy, faked his intesity and was a total idiot.  Arnold then went on to write some articles putting down the nautilus training system for Weider who had a beef with Arthur.  Since Mike was a student of Jones maybe that's why there was all that bad blood.
nasser=piece of shit

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2007, 08:09:17 AM »
in his mind he was f'ing with people to get them off thier game. 

Exactly. What kind of athlete would do that at any sporting competition?  Its so fckin disgusting to act that way to your fellow cometitiors. Its amazing that people think that was some sort of smart move. He was an asshole of epic proportions. YOu all need to accept that. He may have won but he did it the worst way an athlete can.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2007, 08:15:30 AM »
In the 80īs Arnold no longer possessed the best legs, I think it was his real weak point... His Upperbody was smoking everyone else!
S

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2007, 08:21:53 AM »
Roy Calender(the runner up) should have won that Mr O. Arnold's win was one of the great travesties in Pro bodybuilding!

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2007, 08:28:45 AM »

I have the February 1981 issue of Muscle & Fitness and it recounts the story pretty much the same way everyone has been saying.

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2007, 08:32:48 AM »
Roy Calender(the runner up) should have won that Mr O. Arnold's win was one of the great travesties in Pro bodybuilding!

Ummmm... what Olympia are you talkin' about???

That was Chris Dickerson.

roc

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2007, 08:54:20 AM »
to me it seems that if you are judged by conditoining, and size and symmetry, mike had it that day. arnold himself said that he entered that show without proper preperation, arnold head was already in hollywood, he retired onsatge afterward.
   fellas mike won the show! his abs were more distinct than arnolds and he is a hell of alot more drier than arnold.
    he could also pose!  whoever sent the pics in from that show good job. they good to see

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2007, 08:58:32 AM »
Then, why was he out of top 3? Politics?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2007, 09:12:18 AM »
Exactly. What kind of athlete would do that at any sporting competition?  Its so fckin disgusting to act that way to your fellow cometitiors. Its amazing that people think that was some sort of smart move. He was an asshole of epic proportions. YOu all need to accept that. He may have won but he did it the worst way an athlete can.

IF it's a competition, then why is the mind "off limits?" If someone is in such control of their body, like a bodybuilder should be and claims to be, then the mind should be no different.
Arnold used tried-and succeeded many times- to psyche out his competition. It would be one thing if he was being nefarious about his tactics (oiling half of someones back, hiding Katz's shirt like Waller claimed to do, or giving them the wrong tape of their music for their posing routine etc...). But Arnold was not being underhanded about it all. Possibly he was being childish in his talk with Ferrigno at the 1975 meeting at breakfast, or in the back room at the 80 Olympia. But do not confuse childish and pedantic. Two very different things.
Most of the time, the people that complain about Arnold's type of "psychology," are the ones that can't understand nor accept it. :)