Author Topic: The Cage is up and a go...  (Read 5349 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
The Cage is up and a go...
« on: February 24, 2007, 08:47:26 AM »
Enjoy!!!!

Congrats Bruce on an Idea well thought out!!!

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=112411.msg1846732#msg1846732

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: The Cage is up and a go...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
I'm still training for the Cage.  ;D  Someone challenge someone!!! This will kick ass!!!
S

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 06:25:54 PM »
I'd take up the medical marijuana one but school keeps me busy till the evening when I'm in no mood to debate, much less write an essay.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 06:27:39 PM »
Enjoy!!!!

Congrats Bruce on an Idea well thought out!!!

Thanks Berserker!  Let's bring the pain!

First up:

BRUCE Vs. Debussey

Topic:

Abortion
Thread Killer

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 06:39:19 PM »
Debusseys writings will go a bit beyond 500 words.

This will be accepted.

It will go beyond the essay form.

This will be accepted.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 09:12:05 PM »
I am rooting for debussey but if Burce manages to put up a good arguement then I will vote for him.

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
I am rooting for debussey but if Burce manages to put up a good arguement then I will vote for him.

Are you referring to the "battle" itself, or Debusseys demand to increase the word content of the individual "essay"?

The first period of usage for any standardized protocol is the time to experiment, and it is Debusseys opinion that the rigid rules now seen (500 words max) will prevent many posters from really getting their message through, especially when debating complex issues like this where each poster has one attempt at presenting their thoughts (Debussey can not debate this issue with 500 words max, not a chance). Some might claim that 500 words+ = too much for the readers, yet this is not the case if the individual written arguments are systematized and orderly. Also, if this fail, at least we know early on, instead of inhibiting optimization of the cage model due to following an overly rigid and untested model with no room for testing from the get go.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 10:37:50 PM »
Are you referring to the "battle" itself, or Debusseys demand to increase the word content of the individual "essay"?

The first period of usage for any standardized protocol is the time to experiment, and it is Debusseys opinion that the rigid rules now seen (500 words max) will prevent many posters from really getting their message through, especially when debating complex issues like this where each poster has one attempt at presenting their thoughts (Debussey can not debate this issue with 500 words max, not a chance). Some might claim that 500 words+ = too much for the readers, yet this is not the case if the individual written arguments are systematized and orderly. Also, if this fail, at least we know early on, instead of inhibiting optimization of the cage model due to following an overly rigid and untested model with no room for testing from the get go.
I understand where you're coming from, how about we put: length to be determined by the two combatants, with the caveat:"the longer your essay, the more likely nobody will read or judge your battle."  Something like that maybe?  It's sad, but unfortunately lengthy posts do not get read on getbig by many people.  But I am sympathetic to your issue with this.  Bruce?  What you all think?

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 10:43:48 PM »
I understand where you're coming from, how about we put: length to be determined by the two combatants, with the caveat:"the longer your essay, the more likely nobody will read or judge your battle."  Something like that maybe?  It's sad, but unfortunately lengthy posts do not get read on getbig by many people.  But I am sympathetic to your issue with this.  Bruce?  What you all think?

Debussey forgot that the serious readers with the intelligence to comprehend and comment on such a complex issue will read it no matter if it goes a bit beyond 500 words. The eager mind can learn from such a debate.
You are correct of course.

If somebody disagree, please tell Debussey why. Debussey might learn something. It is very important these days.

Debussey has an idea: Both parties write their essay in private, and tells the other part the length of their rough draft. Then the combatants can agree on the max word rule. What do you guys think?
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 10:57:25 PM »
Debussey forgot that the serious readers with the intelligence to comprehend and comment on such a complex issue will read it no matter if it goes a bit beyond 500 words. The eager mind can learn from such a debate.

Debussey has an idea: Both parties write their essay in private, and tells the other part the length of their rough draft. Then the combatants can agree on the max word rule. What do you guys think?
I'm good with it, both parties agree to a limit.  But what about setting the limit before hand in the spirit of a cage match, you have limited space to move and with a limit you're both on equal ground so it means you have to be intelligent with your space alloted.  One might want to say something but in order to say it, they have to weigh the worth with other elements of the essay.  Plus the disadvantage if any is even.  With an issue like abortion, I totally see the need to extent the limit, I just think an agreed limit should be negotiated before and that might be part of the strategy, one might think they could make their case better in a shorter space so they may attempt to negotiate a shorter essay.  Thoughts? thoughts?... :)

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 11:06:16 PM »
I'm good with it, both parties agree to a limit.  But what about setting the limit before hand in the spirit of a cage match, you have limited space to move and with a limit you're both on equal ground so it means you have to be intelligent with your space alloted.  One might want to say something but in order to say it, they have to weigh the worth with other elements of the essay.  Plus the disadvantage if any is even.  With an issue like abortion, I totally see the need to extent the limit, I just think an agreed limit should be negotiated before and that might be part of the strategy, one might think they could make their case better in a shorter space so they may attempt to negotiate a shorter essay.  Thoughts? thoughts?... :)

Addition to the previous post:
When DEbussey enters a debate, Debussey wants to express its full spectrum of ideas. Since Debusseys ideas come from telepathic transfers from Gary Busey, they are usually pretty hard to comprehend (due to stupidity?  ;D ), and the total sum of ideas and arguments = vast. Debussey prefer its ideas to be presented in the form they deserve, at the cost of less users reading it. People that really have something to contribute will read most of it anyway.

Comments: Debussey thinks that both posters should make a rough draft before giving their opinion regarding the word limit. This way, there will be a limit that can be used as an advantage or viceversa, yet, the limit will still allow for each opponent giving it their best shot. Some people are long distance runners, some are sprinters. Meeting in the middle end once the rough drafts = completed is kinda the same as knowing what kind of runner you are before agreeing on the max word limit.

This is not a political debate in the classical sense where all sorts of trickery = allowed. This is a forum to learn from eachother, and the best way to do that is to be clear, precise, and give each "cage combatant" the best opportunity to express him/herself. The competitions will then be determined by each participants arguments and persuasive ability, not by other factors.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 11:10:34 PM »
Addition to the previous post:
Comments: Debussey thinks that both posters should make a rough draft before giving their opinion regarding the word limit. This way, there will be a limit that can be used as an advantage or viceversa, yet, the limit will still allow for each opponent giving it their best shot. Some people are long distance runners, some are sprinters. Meeting in the middle end once the rough drafts = completed is kinda the same as knowing what kind of runner you are before agreeing on the max word limit.

This is not a political debate in the classical sense where all sorts of trickery = allowed. This is a forum to learn from eachother, and the best way to do that is to be clear, precise, and give each "cage combatant" the best opportunity to express him/herself. The competitions will then be determined by each participants arguments and persuasive ability, not by other factors.
Berserker thinks he's not going to take on Debussey in a cage match anytime soon :D  Debussey makes a lot of good points :)  I'm good, let's see what Bruce says, if you two agree to the terms, I don't see why not, you're on even ground with equal terms.

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 11:13:21 PM »
Berserker thinks he's not going to take on Debussey in a cage match anytime soon :D  Debussey makes a lot of good points :)  I'm good, let's see what Bruce says, if you two agree to the terms, I don't see why not, you're on even ground with equal terms.

Good. This will be fun.

And do not worry: Debussey is a complete and utter idiot. Debussey can easily be defeated. All you have to do is to give Gary Busey a few sleeping pills.

:) :D
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 11:17:58 PM »
Good. This will be fun.

And do not worry: Debussey is a complete and utter idiot. Debussey can easily be defeated. All you have to do is to give Gary Busey a few sleeping pills.

:) :D
I'm actually convinced you're Gary Busey... I believe :D

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 11:23:51 PM »
I'm actually convinced you're Gary Busey... I believe :D

:D :D :D

An idea: We should turn this into an "event". We must market this on the board. Everybody must be made aware of it. Even though it might appeal to only 5% of the readers, the more people knowing about it, the more fun this will be. We can all learn more.

If this can be turned into a regular "event" many people follow, this board will explode!

Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 12:51:44 AM »
I think a 500 word limit is good, since that would make the "Cage" matches less of a hassle to write, we'd get more people to enter it, frankly.

At least keep the rule about limited quoting.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Debussey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 12:56:37 AM »
I think a 500 word limit is good, since that would make the "Cage" matches less of a hassle to write, we'd get more people to enter it, frankly.

At least keep the rule about limited quoting.

-Hedge

Since the word limit will be determined for each cagefight, there will be no problem getting people to enter (as long as the average cagefight = not overboard on teh word usage).

It is better to have a standard word figure, while still allowing changes if both combatants agree after they analyze their rough drafts, since each issue and each set of competitiors = different.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 03:22:03 AM »
More than 500 words?  Yes, I think this is a good idea, especially when considering the topic is abortion - we could go on for days.  But the entertainment factor is also paramount, and we have to get people reading the essays to make this concept workable.

I'm all for more words, but within reason - I think 1000 is probably around about right for this topic.

Anyway, Debussey, your word count will significantly reduce if you refer to yourself in the third-person less.  I understand you're existentially expressing yourself through the alien abducted mind of Gary Busey, but perhaps try and down play this in your essay - it could cost you valuable words.  Just a thought  ;)
Thread Killer

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 07:13:16 AM »
Maybe you 2 should have a CAGE fight on how many words, 500 or a 1000, first?   ;D

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 07:15:07 AM »
why is there a password thing popping up here?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 08:46:55 AM »
:D :D :D

An idea: We should turn this into an "event". We must market this on the board. Everybody must be made aware of it. Even though it might appeal to only 5% of the readers, the more people knowing about it, the more fun this will be. We can all learn more.

If this can be turned into a regular "event" many people follow, this board will explode!

As soon as the date is set with you to, let me know and a thead will be stickied headlining the match.  I think the idea is popular enough that it will be regular.  There will probably be another match lining up before this one is over meaning we'll go from one sticky right into another.  Hell, who knows, maybe someday there will be enough people to have championships lol

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 08:51:35 AM »

The arguement itself of course. I do not care about word count and neither should anyone else.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 09:33:43 AM »
The arguement itself of course. I do not care about word count and neither should anyone else.
I agree, to keep things on the even, the two should agree on a determined length to argue the point but some subjects are just going to be much larger than others.  Nobody should need more than 500 words to argue for or against using cell phones in cars, but arguing abortion in 500 words or less is asking for an essay that doesn't bring out the best in the member writing it.  So I figure as long as these guys agree on the maximum for what they're debating, it ought to be good.  Some are going to be shorter, some longer, it's good.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 11:14:10 AM »
The Cage rules on word length have been updated, hopefully this will be satifactory, comments welcome...

Second rule in:

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 11:17:41 AM »
When two challengers are ready will a sticky thread be made?  Or how will that work?
S