Author Topic: Boxing is officially dead...  (Read 8947 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Re: Boxing is officially dead...
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2007, 06:30:05 AM »

Mindspin how is the MMA killing boxing?

Boxing has been killing itself.  With the advent of the UFC, the death process has simply been accelerated. 

How? The fan base is leaving boxing and going to MMA.  There may be 1-2 boxing fights that will out sell MMA in a PPV, but as a whole, MMA has surpassed boxing and it is continuing to grow...
w

The Jayhawker

• Getbig II
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2007, 06:35:07 AM »
Boxing has been killing itself.  With the advent of the UFC, the death process has simply been accelerated. 

How? The fan base is leaving boxing and going to MMA.  There may be 1-2 boxing fights that will out sell MMA in a PPV, but as a whole, MMA has surpassed boxing and it is continuing to grow...

How do you know the fan base is leaving boxing and going to MMA?
J

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2007, 06:48:28 AM »

Are you seriuous?

Who do you think is responsible for the big PPV dollars that the UFC is getting?  Why are PPV boxing dollars down?  Coincidence?

Also, personal experience.  For years, I used to watch all the boxing fights with my buddies.  Don't do that any more.  But, we do catch most Pride/UFC fights...
w

The Jayhawker

• Getbig II
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2007, 07:06:48 AM »
Are you seriuous?

Who do you think is responsible for the big PPV dollars that the UFC is getting?  Why are PPV boxing dollars down?  Coincidence?

Also, personal experience.  For years, I used to watch all the boxing fights with my buddies.  Don't do that any more.  But, we do catch most Pride/UFC fights...

The 16,500 seats in the MGM Grand Garden Arena, with a top ringside price of $2,000, sold out in three hours, generating $19 million in revenue, surpassing the record $16.8 million for Tyson-Holyfield II. The total revenue from the match, to be seen in 176 countries, is expected to exceed $100 million and could challenge the record $112 million generated by Tyson-Lewis. Also, 15,700 seats for a closed-circuit showing of the fight in Las Vegas have been sold. --The LA Times

The pay-per-view boxing numbers are down. No, the number of UFC pay-per-view events are up. Nearly 3-1 to boxing pay-per-views.

While the MMA fights might be at an all-time high point you can't argue that boxing is going through a big low point.  One of the biggest reasons why MMA fights are becoming so popular is because boxing fights aren't anymore.

The UFC didn't take over boxing in it's prime. It beat up a weak and dying old man. But as you can see from the numbers above people WANT boxing to be great.

I really enjoy watching MMA fights and boxing, but if you had to choose between Ali/Frasier or Liddell/Couture I'd have to see Ali/Frasier. People WANT Ali/Frasier but they are forced to watch Liddell/Couture.

If UFC 71 would have been on May 5th do you really think it would have outdrawn the fight?
J

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2007, 07:57:36 AM »

If UFC 71 would have been on May 5th do you really think it would have outdrawn the fight?

Of course not.  The Maywether/Oscar fight was like the Superbowl of boxing.  Probably the most anticipated boxing match in decades.  And, it was promoted like no other fight I've ever seen.   
w

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2007, 10:19:49 AM »
Sounds like you're fucked then, for there is no sport for you as there is no fist fighting in boxing...just a bunch of pussys with pillows on their hands patting eachother :-\

Tell Tyson,Lewis,Calzaghe, Hatton,etc they are pussies to their face. I doubt you ll post again

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2007, 10:58:35 AM »
Tell Tyson,Lewis,Calzaghe, Hatton,etc they are pussies to their face. I doubt you ll post again

Ha ha ha!  Meltdown.
w

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2007, 11:07:02 AM »

I don't know that this is the case, at least to a large extent.

I think it's a matter of Boxing's fan base getting older and not being replaced by younger fans.

Many of MMA's fans are young people who were never into boxing in the first place.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »

I think it's a matter of Boxing's fan base getting older and not being replaced by younger fans.

Many of MMA's fans are young people who were never into boxing in the first place.

Absolutely true.  Spoken like a Harry S Dent student. 

antcraw

• Getbig III
  • Legacy of Brutality
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2007, 08:38:09 PM »

i.e. skinny white kids in tapout gear with no athletic ability but think they can someday cage fight like their heroes because they train mauy tai and their teacher says they are good hahaha.
I'm Nick's role model!

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2007, 10:31:14 PM »
MMA (IFL) is actually PAYING writers to write negative stories about boxing.  Here is the link...read about half way down when the writer say's, "they (ifl) are paying for this article....  Now THAT is pathetic.  Who is scared???

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/6785912?MSNHPHMA

UFC and Dana White, started doing what wrestling does and EDITED OUT two piss poor fights ( where the fans were going crazy with boring chants) that were listed on the last Spike tv ufc card a couple weeks ago and filled them in with undercard fights......They also edit or pipe in cheers when the crowd is DEAD or chanting boring, which is becoming more and more popular.

In reference to the boring chants, however, and ufc I DO NOT think that ufc or mma should change their style to appease the fans that chant boring...why?  because it will take away from the mixed martial arts profession and make it simply a stand up game. 

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2007, 04:10:29 AM »
Oh those guys are outstanding.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Yes, I would say they are outstanding. They are world champs in the heavyweight division.
You said there is a lack of white guys in boxing that can fight, when this is in fact not true.
The fact that they are white doesn't mean they don't count angry guy. :)

No shit, thanks for enlightening us. I have news for you: good working class white fighters are almost as rare as minorities in hockey.

I said "Boxing attracts poor working class types." I didn't even mention race in this instance.
You have some kind of hangup.

Thanks again for stating the obvious. Wishful thinking on boxing. Not to say it won't change in future but the key thing you've missed is that the frequency of good fights is low. Overall boxing now is about as exciting as your theories.

I wouldn't say boxing is on the decline. The UFC means minor competition that will restore boxing to it's former glory. It's funny how people say boxing is fading away, yet everyone I know is talking about this fight. It's in the news all the time. Stuff like Classical music, ballroom dancing, and boxing waxes and wanes in terms of popularity, but they never truly dissapear because they are just that - classic.

But anyway...

Dumb questions get obvious answers...

Confucious say: losers live in crappy one bedroom apartments and use Bowflex.  ;D

TEAM REPTILIAN

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2007, 06:28:25 AM »

How many of those guys are still fighting? Having to bring up names who are long retired only  reinforces the gist of this thread actually.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2007, 06:29:38 AM »
Yes, I would say they are outstanding. They are world champs in the heavyweight division.
You said there is a lack of white guys in boxing that can fight, when this is in fact not true.
The fact that they are white doesn't mean they don't count angry guy. :)

In which case you know very little. "Outstanding", sure. ::) ::) ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2007, 06:30:45 AM »

I wouldn't say boxing is on the decline. The UFC means minor competition that will restore boxing to it's former glory. It's funny how people say boxing is fading away, yet everyone I know is talking about this fight. It's in the news all the time. Stuff like Classical music, ballroom dancing, and boxing waxes and wanes in terms of popularity, but they never truly dissapear because they are just that - classic.

You have the arrogance to actually think that if you personally believe it, it must be true because you're so clever bwahahahahaahahahah

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2007, 06:31:50 AM »

I said "Boxing attracts poor working class types." I didn't even mention race in this instance.

Get a grip, I never said you brought up race. I did. Because there's a clear difference in the demos of the two sports, which IS effecting the audiences & interest in each. Wake up.

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2007, 12:34:06 PM »
Last night's Oscar/Maywether fight was the best boxing has to offer.  "12 rounds of 2 skinny guys with pillows on their hands sparing"...yawn  ::)  MMA is the future :D

hahaha, with that post you expose the fact that you are not aware of the fight game and never put on a pair of gloves in your life, hahahha,

Your a cage fighter, right....typical white suburban kid, mommy and daddy gets a car, gets a tribal tatoo and never had a fight in your life.

Just out of curiosity, post a pix. 

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2007, 02:24:20 PM »
In which case you know very little. "Outstanding", sure...

You have the arrogance to actually think that if you personally believe it, it must be true because you're so clever bwahahahahaahahahah...

Get a grip, I never said you brought up race. I did. Because there's a clear difference in the demos of the two sports, which IS effecting the audiences & interest in each. Wake up...

BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
TEAM REPTILIAN

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2007, 03:29:28 PM »
And who is it that says boxing is dead?  hahahaha...  2.15 MILLION PPV buys for 2 fighters...NOT a whole card full of fighters......All that AND at least half of the people that would have bought it (my friend as well) DID N'T because it is gonna be shown for FREE this week on hbo...so they would have had at least 3 million ppv buys if their was no free showing a week later.

The BEST and most talented athletes will box, as is evident by their skill level....anyone that doesn't believe, just put on a pair of ten ounces and see how goofy you look throwing punches.

Oh, one more thing...Boxing didn't have to PAY a writer to write this article, hahaha...yeah go MMA and the reality show where the so called pro's including Matt Hughes can not even throw a good leg kick.

RELATED ARTICLES
Mayweather Wins Amid Calls for PPV Rematch

HBO Punches Up Ring Promos

UFC Seeking to Pin Down HBO Deal

HBO: De La Hoya-Mayweather to Top 1M PPV Buys

HBO Gets Into Training

Talkback Voices

We would love your feedback!

Post a comment

» VIEW ALL TALKBACK THREADS

Sorry, no blogs are active for this topic.

Advertisement
ALSO BY THIS AUTHOR...
Golden State Upset Propels TNT
NBC U Touts Its Cable Ratings
ESPN, ABC, Cox to Test VOD with No Ad Skipping
History, Starz, HITS Join HD Party
Phase Three for A&E
» MORE
NEWSLETTERSClick on a title below to learn more.

Multichannel Newswire
 MCN Local Cable Advertising Sales
 MCN Hispanic Television Update
 MCN HD Update
 MCN Telco IP Update
 MCN International Update

Bout Tops Lewis-Tyson, Holyfield-Tyson
By Mike Reynolds -- Multichannel News, 5/9/2007 3:24:00 PM
The heavyweights can move over: The Cinco De Mayo bout in which Floyd Mayweather topped Oscar de la Hoya for the Golden Boy’s junior-middleweight crown is pay-per-view’s all-time champ.

Mayweather’s split decision triumph over de la Hoya from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas generated 2.15 million buys and $120 million in PPV revenue, according to HBO officials. The showdown produced 1,225,000 buys from cable systems and 925,000 buys from satellite homes throughout the 50 states.

The Mayweather-de la Hoya card topped the $106.9 million drawn by the June 8, 2002, bout in which Lennox Lewis stopped Mike Tyson and surpassed the 1.99 million buys for the infamous Evander Holyfield/Tyson II bout on June 28, 1997, when the erstwhile Iron Mike bit off a piece of Holyfield’s ear.

“De la Hoya vs. Mayweather was a record-setting event from the moment the fight was announced,” HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg said in a prepared statement. “We are delighted that sports fans recognized the greatness of these two future Hall of Famers and tuned in for their showdown. It’s satisfying to see that boxing still connects with sports fans throughout the country, and we are determined to continue to present high-profile fights that capture the public’s imagination.”

The fight will be replayed on HBO Saturday at 10 p.m. (EST/ PST) and 9 p.m. (CST). HBO2 is scheduled to encore the bout May 13 at 8 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. and May 15 at 11:30 p.m.

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2007, 03:31:50 PM »
hahaha good find. I didn't know this fight topped Holyfield-Tyson. Amazing!
TEAM REPTILIAN

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2007, 09:57:13 PM »
If boxing is dying, its by its own hand.  With all the various alphabet belts available the entire field is a muddled mess.  Its advantageous for promotors to avoid unifying matches because it decreases the marketability of their fighter.  Unfortunatley that also prevents some very interesting fights from happening and it also prevents the establishment of a linear dominant champion.  A clear champion.  I love boxing and follow the sport pretty closely as I do MMA.  There are obvious disadvantages and advantages to the way an organization like the UFC is run.  Mangement are morely likely to put good fights together because they benefit directly from pay per view buys.  Unfortunately rampant favortism can arise.  Fighters also are at the mercy of the UFC to determine the types of monies they recieve from fights this is only been compounded by the demise of a alternate organization for fighters to go to if they are dissatisified.
A