Author Topic: Boxing is officially dead...  (Read 8946 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Boxing is officially dead...
« on: May 06, 2007, 08:43:28 AM »
Last night's Oscar/Maywether fight was the best boxing has to offer.  "12 rounds of 2 skinny guys with pillows on their hands sparing"...yawn  ::)  MMA is the future :D

w

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: Boxing is officially dead...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 08:44:57 AM »
Last night's Oscar/Maywether fight was the best boxing has to offer.  "12 rounds of 2 skinny guys with pillows on their hands sparing"...yawn  ::)  MMA is the future :D

You watched skinny men fight? Was there lube and leather straps involved?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:48:26 AM »
If you miss 7 straight days of your diet, you officially become a cage fighter.

I'v been cagefighting for 30 years now.  I have fighting experience though.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 08:51:44 AM »

hahha you stupid fuck ;D

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 08:53:03 AM »
While it was a good technical fight. I don't think it was the kind of fight that is gonna bring the casual sports fan back to boxing.

And once you get used to seeing mma, those boxing gloves do look really big.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 08:56:51 AM »
what about karate?

are the chuck norris times gone for good?  :(
Z

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 09:00:44 AM »

you are speaking the truth..more and more guys are forsaking lifting weights for shadow boxing

these fuckers are taking over the gym..shadowing boxing in between sets of brutal 125 barbell bench press for 10 reps  ::)
Here comes the money shot

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 09:02:29 AM »
what about karate?

Even K-1 is waaay better than boxing.

While it was a good technical fight. I don't think it was the kind of fight that is gonna bring the casual sports fan back to boxing.

And once you get used to seeing mma, those boxing gloves do look really big.

maybe, but it's just not a fight.  No one gets hurt.  it's just a bunch of pats...boring.
w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 09:06:42 AM »
you are speaking the truth..more and more guys are forsaking lifting weights for shadow boxing

these fuckers are taking over the gym..shadowing boxing in between sets of brutal 125 barbell bench press for 10 reps  ::)

Ha ha!  You can spot them all over..."Team Punishment" t-shirts, tatoos on their necks, mean look in their eye, no shadow boxing but lots of shadow "clinching & knees" and Xynergy drinks ha ha!
w

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 09:12:03 AM »
Ha ha!  You can spot them all over..."Team Punishment" t-shirts, tatoos on their necks, mean look in their eye, no shadow boxing but lots of shadow "clinching & knees" and Xynergy drinks ha ha!

I know these people all to well,  the funny thing is I know most of them have never trained and have never been in a fight in their lives.  Everytime I see someone do that it pisses me off and I want to fight them on the spot.
Predictions
 40/61

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 09:16:29 AM »
How does that work, do they have to fight or train to be allowed to wear a t-shirt? I'm glad the same doesn't go for metal t-shirts, I've never been on stage or played in a band and I've got a couple  :-\
Z

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 09:35:13 AM »
How does that work, do they have to fight or train to be allowed to wear a t-shirt? I'm glad the same doesn't go for metal t-shirts, I've never been on stage or played in a band and I've got a couple  :-\

I don't give a fuck about shirts,  im talking about these little chumps with a fake mean look in their eye that try to throw punches, kicks, and knees in between sets but fail miserably since they have no technique whatsoever, and haven't trained a day in their life, outside of watching TUF a few times.  When you're wearing your metal shirts do you carry a guitar with you and act like you know how to play it?
Predictions
 40/61

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 09:39:36 AM »
I don't give a fuck about shirts,  im talking about these little chumps with a fake mean look in their eye that try to throw punches, kicks, and knees in between sets but fail miserably since they have no technique whatsoever, and haven't trained a day in their life, outside of watching TUF a few times.  When you're wearing your metal shirts do you carry a guitar with you and act like you know how to play it?

Good point. No I don't, and I don't have these type of guys at my gym  :D
They should stick to buying shirts and supplements and support the sport financially.
Z

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 09:46:46 AM »
When you're wearing your metal shirts do you carry a guitar with you and act like you know how to play it?

Does Air Guitar count?

If so, I'm guilty.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 11:11:35 AM »
Does Air Guitar count?

If so, I'm guilty.

Lol
Predictions
 40/61

antcraw

• Getbig III
  • Legacy of Brutality
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 11:15:23 AM »
Boxing isn't going anywhere.  A good boxing match is 10x better than a good MMA fight.  MMA will eventually need to make some rule changes to make the fights more exciting in general. 

The shorter rounds in boxing and the number of rounds in boxing make it so that there can be an ebb and flow to the match.  There is enough time to change strategy, or make a come back if hurt and make the fight exciting.

MMA has none of that and needs it.  90% of the fights are 1 or 2 punch knockouts, or they roll around in full guard for 3 min of a 5 min round.  Pride is better then UFC imo because they make the guys get back on their feet and fight if the fight bogs down.

I think MMA is super popular with the weightlifing crowd and such because it seem more "doable" to them than boxing.  From an early age most people know they have no chance to become an elite boxer or even a journeyman pro for that matter.  But MMA is guys who decided to start fighting in their 20's after training for a few years ( i know there are exceptions to this) after college wrestling or after training muy thai or something for awhile. So they guy in the gym or in high school sees that and decides hey i can do that too.  I don't need speed, or even a good chin to compete. 

It will be interesting to see what the next generation of MMA fighters will be like.  Like if there are kids like 10 now training to be the next MMA champ like in boxing.  Maybe that will make make MMA more exciting, but mostly i think it just needs some rule changes.
I'm Nick's role model!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 12:37:23 PM »
Boxing isn't going anywhere.  A good boxing match is 10x better than a good MMA fight.  MMA will eventually need to make some rule changes to make the fights more exciting in general. 

The shorter rounds in boxing and the number of rounds in boxing make it so that there can be an ebb and flow to the match.  There is enough time to change strategy, or make a come back if hurt and make the fight exciting.

MMA has none of that and needs it.  90% of the fights are 1 or 2 punch knockouts, or they roll around in full guard for 3 min of a 5 min round.  Pride is better then UFC imo because they make the guys get back on their feet and fight if the fight bogs down.

I think MMA is super popular with the weightlifing crowd and such because it seem more "doable" to them than boxing.  From an early age most people know they have no chance to become an elite boxer or even a journeyman pro for that matter.  But MMA is guys who decided to start fighting in their 20's after training for a few years ( i know there are exceptions to this) after college wrestling or after training muy thai or something for awhile. So they guy in the gym or in high school sees that and decides hey i can do that too.  I don't need speed, or even a good chin to compete. 

It will be interesting to see what the next generation of MMA fighters will be like.  Like if there are kids like 10 now training to be the next MMA champ like in boxing.  Maybe that will make make MMA more exciting, but mostly i think it just needs some rule changes.

All the changes you just suggested would kill MMA.  The reason why it's exciting, is becasue it's as close to a real street fight as it gets in organized sports.  In a real fight there are no rounds, no standing people up and no rules.  If you ask me, the UFC fights were better when there were less rules, no wieght classes and no time limits.

And getting into a cage and coming out triumphant seems a lot less "doable" than doing it in a boxing rign pillows on your hands ::)
w

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 12:50:31 PM »
UFC is boring. Guys rolling around on the floor, what fun ::)

However, it was awesome when the K1 had a stand up round followed by a mma round. That is the way forward, and would generate great exitement. Sapp vs Lebanner was great, and proved that Sapp is alot better than people give him credit for, and Jerome is one tough frenchie.

antcraw

• Getbig III
  • Legacy of Brutality
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 01:09:05 PM »
All the changes you just suggested would kill MMA.  The reason why it's exciting, is becasue it's as close to a real street fight as it gets in organized sports.  In a real fight there are no rounds, no standing people up and no rules.  If you ask me, the UFC fights were better when there were less rules, no wieght classes and no time limits.

And getting into a cage and coming out triumphant seems a lot less "doable" than doing it in a boxing rign pillows on your hands ::)

you're joking right? how is a street fight entertaining? there's a lot of luck and less skill involved.  you just got your homer rose colored glasses on.  MMA is rightly evolving, they new that the sport would go no where with what you are suggesting.  There will be more rule changes, i gaurentee it, to make it more watchable and exciting.  Now MMA is 90% boring.
I'm Nick's role model!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 03:29:03 PM »
you're joking right? how is a street fight entertaining? there's a lot of luck and less skill involved.  you just got your homer rose colored glasses on.  MMA is rightly evolving, they new that the sport would go no where with what you are suggesting.  There will be more rule changes, i gaurentee it, to make it more watchable and exciting.  Now MMA is 90% boring.

The rule changes came about only becasue they needed to sanction the fights and get deep-shit politicians off their back.  If they continue to introduce more rules, they will lose the core fan base and it will open up an opportunity for another federation to come up. 

Eaither way, boxing sucks, it's boring and it's dead. ;D
w

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 03:54:44 PM »
what about karate?

no they are alive and well

Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

antcraw

• Getbig III
  • Legacy of Brutality
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 04:21:13 PM »
The rule changes came about only becasue they needed to sanction the fights and get deep-shit politicians off their back.  If they continue to introduce more rules, they will lose the core fan base and it will open up an opportunity for another federation to come up. 

Eaither way, boxing sucks, it's boring and it's dead. ;D

whatever but i'll take 3 rounds of Hagler v Hearns than the 3 round snore fest i saw last night on Pride, Fedor v Cro Cop.  MMA is interesting but doesn't come close to primetime boxing.  that's why de la hoya made more last night than liddell and ortiz put together in their entire careers.
I'm Nick's role model!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 08:12:43 AM »
whatever but i'll take 3 rounds of Hagler v Hearns than the 3 round snore fest i saw last night on Pride, Fedor v Cro Cop.  MMA is interesting but doesn't come close to primetime boxing.  that's why de la hoya made more last night than liddell and ortiz put together in their entire careers.

You say boxing requires more skill.  I disagree.  It requires skill in only one discipline...boxing.  MMA on the other hand, requires not just boxing skill, but a myriad of others.  You need to develop a good ground game, take down defense, clinch game, wrestling, striking (with knees, elbows, legs), etc.  As the sport has grown in popularity, so has the skill level. 

As I am sure you well know, UFC PPV has surpassed boxing.  Amazing considering how young the sport is.  But, not surprising.  While there are definitely many great boxing matches, most are a snooze-fest.  It is possible for an MMA match to be boring when two opponents are equally matched and cancel each other out.  But there are so many more ways a fight can go in MMA, vs. boxing, that they are just more exciting.  As MMA grows, the money is poring in and the purses are growing.  Hence, the death of boxing...
w

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 10:31:32 AM »
Boxing is fastly dying and MMA is rapidly growing for a simple reason;

-Boxing = The fighter is the draw and there isn't many draws anymore

-MMA = The action is the draw and there is tons of talent to display the action where boxing is lacking poplular fighters to bring the crowd!

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007, 11:07:21 AM »
I d rather watch 2 men have a stand up fist fight then roll around with their legs wrapped round each other.