Author Topic: Does Karate Work?  (Read 21159 times)

omg

• Getbig III
  • Maybe we all just havent figured it out yet
Re: Does Karate Work?
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2007, 11:05:47 PM »
You mix some things up. I agree on the hands, holding them up is essential.

Full contact Karate uses grips and throws also, so it's better than using gloves.

Kickboxing does not allow elbows and knees either. Even european Muay Thai associatins do not allow elbows or knees to the head, so if you're not training in Thailand you will probabaly do not get the chance to strike someone an elbow to the face or you'll get disqualified.

Kicks used in FC Karate are mostly low kicks, so Karate's main advantage is the missing gloves.

i dunno any karate style that uses grips and throw seriously, except enshin karate. most karate styles are cover very basic grab his leg and sweep etc

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2007, 12:48:41 AM »
all show, wouldnt last a second in a real fight.

karate has its strong points, but seriously, if u want to do free fight, just learn MMA from beggining, dont bother learning karate or muay thai or whatever

hahaha Oh brother. That guy, despite probably being 5'5'' would literally kill almost anyone in a streetfight. I'm not talking about MMA(grappling w/standup), but he probably knows some judo too. Many karate experts do. Bill Wallace started with Judo.

Karate is excellent at every aspect of standup.
They use knees, elbows, headbutts, thigh kicks, you name it.
TEAM REPTILIAN

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2007, 12:58:34 AM »
the muay thai guy is at least 3inches and 50pounds shorter and lacks skill.

its not the style that makes the fighter, but a fighter that makes the style  ;D

I don't think he was that much smaller. The uniform adds the illusion of size. He certainly doesn't lack skill; that is one of the first thai fighters to travel the world challenging other styles. He was a k-1 finalist. I Agree with the last statement, however the question was whether karate is effective. It certainly is, and in my estimation Fullcontact Karate is the best and most complete standup style.
TEAM REPTILIAN

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2007, 01:14:23 AM »
I don't think he was that much smaller. The uniform adds the illusion of size. He certainly doesn't lack skill; that is one of the first thai fighters to travel the world challenging other styles. He was a k-1 finalist. I Agree with the last statement, however the question was whether karate is effective. It certainly is, and in my estimation Fullcontact Karate is the best and most complete standup style.

For a little less biased opinion, I present to you a classic fight between Rick the Jet Roufus and Thai champion Changpeuk. 

BTW, what style does Rick and Duke use now?  I think it is Muay Thai...... ;D

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2007, 01:18:50 AM »
Rick is just a kickboxer.

You are aware they use low kicks in karate too yes?

The point is not whether a certain style is more effective, it is whether karate is effective.
TEAM REPTILIAN

omg

• Getbig III
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2007, 02:04:12 AM »

The point is not whether a certain style is more effective, it is whether karate is effective.

almost anything is effective if the figther knows how to use the strong points and cover the weak points. judo, samba, mma, kickboxing,

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2007, 02:05:40 AM »

If you weren't posting videos of mismatched Thais against karatekas I wouldn't have shown this fight.  You obviously have an agenda, I am simply trying to be fair and unbiased.   ;D

omg

• Getbig III
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2007, 02:12:14 AM »
hahaha Oh brother. That guy, despite probably being 5'5'' would literally kill almost anyone in a streetfight. I'm not talking about MMA(grappling w/standup), but he probably knows some judo too. Many karate experts do. Bill Wallace started with Judo.

Karate is excellent at every aspect of standup.
They use knees, elbows, headbutts, thigh kicks, you name it.

haha yeah i am so scared of the karate human killing machine. oh sensei pls let me live!! quick qns, do you think mr shohan sensei gets more girls than carrot top?  ::)

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2007, 02:29:17 AM »
haha yeah i am so scared of the karate human killing machine. oh sensei pls let me live!! quick qns, do you think mr shohan sensei gets more girls than carrot top?  ::)

Yes, I'm sure "OMG" would kick that Japanese guy's ass hahaha.
TEAM REPTILIAN

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2007, 02:30:05 AM »
If you weren't posting videos of mismatched Thais against karatekas I wouldn't have shown this fight.  You obviously have an agenda, I am simply trying to be fair and unbiased.   ;D

Does Rick even hold a blackbelt in karate?
TEAM REPTILIAN

omg

• Getbig III
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2007, 03:16:42 AM »
Yes, I'm sure "OMG" would kick that Japanese guy's ass hahaha.

i am a peaceful guy, if anything a 120pound guy with a knife would kick his ass not me

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2007, 11:36:57 AM »
i am a peaceful guy, if anything a 120pound guy with a knife would kick his ass not me

I fought a guy with a glass shiv and beat him. I don't think he expected me to fight him, he had a shocked look on his face hahaha.
TEAM REPTILIAN

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2007, 12:35:14 AM »
One of the funniest things i've ever seen on tv was from the show Dr. 90201...The guy who puts fake titties into chicks, Dr. Rey...He is a black belt in Karate and on the show he went up against a ju jitzu guy who weighed easily 20 less then him and the JJ guy choked him out over and over again like it nothing...Dr. Rey said he is done with Karate and is now going to train JJ...He also said he felt like a fool...

As a whole Karate is worthless....Of course their are a few guys that have trained all their life with it and do well...but these guys now have left karate and moved to the future...Karate is not the future....Its a worthless art that makes money for millions of people...In the real world most of your regular black belts that live down the road from all of us are just like Dr.Rey...They will have their asses handed to them 99 times out of a 100 with any wrestler that can take a punch...

If you are going to start training in Karate, go buy yourself a Kool and the gang CD and start watching threes Company...Mr. Furly trained in Karate also...He could probably show you a thing or two...But then again, Retro is in.....Right????

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2007, 12:38:09 AM »
Not to mention with the Page (Muay Thai/Boxing) win over Chuck (Kempo Karate), we have another example of Muay Thai's superiority over Karate. 

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2007, 01:53:32 AM »
Chuck is only a karate guy when he loses apparently.

Many world champions in standup fighting are karate-based fighters. FC Karate is far superior to Muay-Thai because they have all the arsenal of the MT fighter and more. When they hold competitions in Japan between the two styles the Karate fighters beat the crap out of the MT guys everytime. The current K-1 champ is a Karate fighter, past K-1 champs have been Karate fighters. This is despite the fact that more MT guys enter K-1.
TEAM REPTILIAN

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2007, 02:01:45 AM »
Chuck is only a karate guy when he loses apparently.

Many world champions in standup fighting are karate-based fighters. FC Karate is far superior to Muay-Thai because they have all the arsenal of the MT fighter and more. When they hold competitions in Japan between the two styles the Karate fighters beat the crap out of the MT guys everytime. The current K-1 champ is a Karate fighter, past K-1 champs have been Karate fighters. This is despite the fact that more MT guys enter K-1.

Nope, he has Kempo tatooed on his left shoulder.  His trainer John Hackleman (10th Degree) is student of Walter Godin, who was one of Adrian Emperado's boys.  He always was a wrestler/Kempo guy(5th degree himself).  One of the reasons I didn't like him was the UFC allowed him to use his Kempo thumbs one too many times for my taste, hence his nickname the "Eyesman."   

And as many times as you claim karateka's beating muay thai fighters in Japan, how many times has a world champion karateka beaten a Lumpini stadium champion? 

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2007, 02:23:01 AM »
Well it must have worked well for Chuck if that's the case since he held the LHW belt so long. I'd say that's proof of Karate's effectiveness if that's the case. I never really liked Kempo though. Okinawan and Kyokushin(and it's derivitives) are my favorites.

As for your second question...Well I don't really think very many Karate guys have gone to Thailand to compete over there. But many MT guys have competed in Japan against FC Karate experts and lost. I'm interesting in hearing the special rules you think would give MT guys such a tremendous advantage if the fight were suddenly shifted to Thailand. As far as I know a knee is a knee whether it's used in Japan or Thailand.

FC Karate and Muay-Thai comps will usually be decided by the fighter and not the style. Whatever percieved advantage in each style exist is small. Both styles have access to the primary tools - thigh kicks, round kicks, etc...

The original question was whether Karate is effective, now we are debating Karate vs. MT. It comes down to the fighter usually. K-1 champs have been (and currently) Karate practicioners and MT practicioners. They've never been Gung-Fu, TKD, or Boxers.
TEAM REPTILIAN

omg

• Getbig III
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2007, 06:54:39 AM »
I fought a guy with a glass shiv and beat him. I don't think he expected me to fight him, he had a shocked look on his face hahaha.

my hero

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2007, 07:45:41 AM »
No, my hero.
TEAM REPTILIAN

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »

FC Karate and Muay-Thai comps will usually be decided by the fighter and not the style. Whatever percieved advantage in each style exist is small. Both styles have access to the primary tools - thigh kicks, round kicks, etc...

The original question was whether Karate is effective, now we are debating Karate vs. MT. It comes down to the fighter usually. K-1 champs have been (and currently) Karate practicioners and MT practicioners. They've never been Gung-Fu, TKD, or Boxers.

Finally something we can agree upon.  I think karate is very effective, but what I have to object to is when you opine that it is the best stand up art.  Benny the Jet fought in Thailand, why was it removed from his record?  You claim Bas is a karateka, but if you know anything about Bas, you'd know he changed over to Muay Thai prior to the start of his fighting career.  He started with TKD before Karate, is he a TKD stylist.  In his system of fighting, it is muay thai based.  When he stepped down from the Anaconda's, he was replaced with Shawn Thompkins, a representative of his system of fighting, guess what Shawn's school is, a Muay Thai school.  Who is the striking coach of Team Quest South?  Shawn Thompkins! 

I have had the pleasure of training at Marcus Vinicius fine school in CA back in the day, and I can tell you Bas wasn't teaching Karate back then either, Pedro Rizzo, Marco Ruas weren't there doing karate either.  For every karateka who has won K1, I can name you just as many muay thai fighters. 

Year Champion
1993  Branko Cikatić
1994  Peter Aerts
1995  Peter Aerts
1996  Andy Hug
1997  Ernesto Hoost
1998  Peter Aerts
1999  Ernesto Hoost
2000  Ernesto Hoost
2001  Mark Hunt
2002  Ernesto Hoost
2003  Remy Bonjasky
2004  Remy Bonjasky
2005  Semmy Schilt
2006  Semmy Schilt

Of this list of K1 winners, everyone but Branko, Andy and Semmy are THAI stylists. 

Not trying to rag on karate, but I have seen you OPINE over and over about how superior Karate is to all other stand up arts, and I just can't take it anymore.  Circumstantial evidence does not a case win, my friend.   ;D

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2007, 08:38:59 PM »
The record of champion karate-based fighters speaks for itself.
More MT/Kickboxing guys enter K-1 than pure Karate fighters, so that's not an accurate indicator of superiority. The only thing that is clear is: Karate, Kickboxing, and Muay-Thai are the only three styles that produce champions in K-1.

Using Bas as an example of of a Muay-Thai based fighter is ridiculous. He's every bit a FC Karate fighter as he is Muay-Thai. Back in the Pancrase days, his use of Karate infighting was always evident. You don't earn 6th degree blackbelt and suddenly forget the style; it's a tremendous accomplishment. He's an expert. The reason he is so great is because he has become MORE than proficient in at least three different stand up styles-TKD, FC KARATE, MUAY-THAI.

The more you learn, the better off you are in all facets of life.
TEAM REPTILIAN

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2007, 11:10:59 PM »
The record of champion karate-based fighters speaks for itself.
More MT/Kickboxing guys enter K-1 than pure Karate fighters, so that's not an accurate indicator of superiority. The only thing that is clear is: Karate, Kickboxing, and Muay-Thai are the only three styles that produce champions in K-1.

Using Bas as an example of of a Muay-Thai based fighter is ridiculous. He's every bit a FC Karate fighter as he is Muay-Thai. Back in the Pancrase days, his use of Karate infighting was always evident. You don't earn 6th degree blackbelt and suddenly forget the style; it's a tremendous accomplishment. He's an expert. The reason he is so great is because he has become MORE than proficient in at least three different stand up styles-TKD, FC KARATE, MUAY-THAI.

The more you learn, the better off you are in all facets of life.

Or perhaps there aren't that many qualified Karatekas who can do well in K1.

Bas left the Anaconda's to one of his disciples, that disciple, Shawn Thompkins does not teach Karate, even though he was previously a karateka.  I wonder why? 

If you think muay thai doesn't have infighting, you are cluesless.  I will not argue anymore regarding this. 

Keep training. 

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2007, 11:12:33 PM »
The hand techniques he was using is familiar to Karatekas...Karate has it's own tournaments; they don't compete as often in K-1. Bas wasted his life training to be a 6th degree blackbelt and now he's a karate fighter....sure.

::) We're going in circles. "Keep training."
TEAM REPTILIAN

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
The hand techniques he was using is familiar to Karatekas...Karate has it's own tournaments; they don't compete as often in K-1. Bas wasted his life training to be a 6th degree blackbelt and now he's a karate fighter....sure.

::) We're going in circles. "Keep training."

Said I wasn't going to post on this anymore, but you are missing the point.  Bas did in fact train in Karate, karate is an effective style, but I am counter arguing the point that you were TRYING to make in other posts that Karate is superior.  I didn't want to name drop, and don't want to come off as a braggart or expert.  If you EVER TALK to Bas, ask him his opinion on why he trains MT now.  I have had the pleasure of training at a couple of seminars with Bas (very entertaining, and quite informative, leeeever kick).  He would show techniques and training methods that he uses himself.  Mind you I have his big book of combat, and big DVD set, as well as his self defense through Panther.  I could count the times he makes reference to karate on both hands in all of them. 

Brett Favre was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons, he was mentored under Mouse Davis/June Jones.  Two proponents of the run and shoot.  Is Brett a run and shoot guy?  Is he a Falcon (when he gets elected to the HOF as a first balloter)?  Will he go in as a Falcon?  I don't think so.  Does that mean he didn't learn anything from the run and shoot?  No, I am sure there are SOME similarities in his set up and delivery, BUT Brett is a West Coast Offense guy. 

I was a Wing Chun instructor and JKDC associate instructor.  I practice little of both now, does that mean it was a waste of time?  No, I learned a lot, met a lot of interesting people, got to train with some great instructors.  Are there similarities to what I do now to then, YES.  Would I have been better suited to train the way I do now then?  YES.  IF I could go back in time, I would have taken wrestling/judo farther, and started training Muay Thai/Boxing earlier.  As it stands, I am a marginal stand up guy, with decent takedowns, decent TD defense.  When I play with top tier judokas, they make a mockery of my preivous training.  When I box with golden glove level fighters, they kill me (Of course I am not using my deadly biu jee eye jabs, jeet tek, or scoop kick from pananjackman)  (that is levity, btw).  I wouldn't have even begun REFUTING you had you not made it your set purpose to extol the virtues of Karate over everything else.  But your arguements prior was Karate was THE MOST EFFECTIVE STAND UP art. 

In short does Karate work?

Yes, against unskilled, untrained non athletic types.  Will it work against a well rounded versed fighter?  Prolly not, unless some lucky circumstance creates an opportunity.  Does it have redeeming virtues that would benefit others?  Yes.  Best example I can cite you and I am out, HOW MUCH KARATE IS PRACTICED IN BRAZIL?  The birthplace of Vale Tudo, NHB where stabbings, kidnappings, murders, etc.  NOT MUCH.  Now I am really out. 

MADSamoan

• Getbig II
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2007, 03:08:25 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new to posting.  Anyway, Ive been training for a while.  I did Karate as a kid made it to brown belt.  My father put me through it specifically for discipline and balance.  I've been boxing since I was 12 and been kickboxing since I was 15.  Ive found that in fighting its mostly dependent on the fighter.

Ive had a few fights and noticed that many people have their own style no matter what it is.  But, I found that guys who strictly stick to a discipline such as karate seem to have a disadvantage in a real fight situation. Simply because in order to be effective you would of had years of experience, training etc..

Whereas, in kickboxing Ive seen fighters pick up formidable fighting skills within a year or so (does not apply if your full time geek :S ) Anyhow, I plan on fighting for a few titles to back my name up hopefully by end of the year :D

So when you think about it you could train for years in karate and still be shit when if you train the same with kickboxing you would more likely be more effective in a real fight.  By the way I had a fight street fight with a black belt dude once knocked him out one punch so black belt or not it just depends on the individual.  ( Not trying to brag or anything just being factual many people are like wow "black belt!" just bs labels - black belt or what still human).

In my books kickboxing is the number one striking style simply because its basic yet extremely effective while karate can complicate things. (Sorry guys my karate is limited so feel free to comment).

Sorry for long post!