Author Topic: wrist wraps  (Read 2946 times)

spacemunkeyz

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
wrist wraps
« on: July 19, 2007, 07:55:30 AM »
i've never used these before but are they worth using? and if they are can any one tell me where to get a good pair from ??

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: wrist wraps
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 08:12:26 AM »
i've never used these before but are they worth using? and if they are can any one tell me where to get a good pair from ??

I'm about to buy my first pair. I'm getting a  set from harbinger because everything I've ever used by them has been good quality. I would only suggest using them only when you're having to press or move alot of weight and it really really pains your wrists. Benching 400 or more is now requiring them because the irritation takes my mind off the lift. Like anything else, use them only when you must. Don't be walking around with them on LEG day like some other "hardcore" guys at my gym.  ::)

spacemunkeyz

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:14:50 AM »
i've always used harbinger products

thanks for the info

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:19:12 AM »

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 09:41:15 AM »
Don't be walking around with them on LEG day like some other "hardcore" guys at my gym.  ::)

hahah, I've seen this, it's hilarious.

Don't get too attached to them, as wickedtruth said, only use them when you must or else they become a crutch for you and you won't be able to bench well without them.

Also, they are not that much help when it comes to chronic wrist pain and wrist injuries, if that's the case you need to see an MD.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 09:53:49 AM »

Don't get too attached to them, as wickedtruth said, only use them when you must or else they become a crutch for you and you won't be able to bench well without them.

Also, they are not that much help when it comes to chronic wrist pain and wrist injuries, if that's the case you need to see an MD.

LOL better yet, the dude that strapped in to do inclines the other day. OR another guy, bigger than I AM, strapping in to do 135lb bent over barbell rows. Maybe I'm just becoming more cynical but DAMN!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 04:08:47 PM »
Inzer makes the best ones i've ever used, the black ones with the red stripes, they're pretty long and give you awesome support, it always seems like they keep my wrist straighter and i'm able to drive with more power through my forearms, wrists and hands, they're especially good for guys who use a thumbless grip on pressing movements.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 04:13:55 PM »
LOL better yet, the dude that strapped in to do inclines the other day. OR another guy, bigger than I AM, strapping in to do 135lb bent over barbell rows. Maybe I'm just becoming more cynical but DAMN!
i think you've got straps confused with wraps, Wicked, i think he's taking about the wraps you wrap around your wrists for support like knee wraps not straps that you wrap around the bar.

spacemunkeyz

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 04:42:56 PM »
yeah im talking about wraps

the only time i feel any need to use straps is when im doing my heaviest weight in a set
i find using something tooo much you become tooo dependant on it and when you forget it at home or sopmething your like a deer caught in the headlights not knowing what to do

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 04:48:20 PM »
yeah im talking about wraps

the only time i feel any need to use straps is when im doing my heaviest weight in a set
i find using something tooo much you become tooo dependant on it and when you forget it at home or sopmething your like a deer caught in the headlights not knowing what to do
wraps are fine, they're excellent for presses, don't get too caught up in the macho meathead mentality of not using them for one reason or another.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 10:08:38 PM »
i think you've got straps confused with wraps, Wicked, i think he's taking about the wraps you wrap around your wrists for support like knee wraps not straps that you wrap around the bar.

No I know we were talking about wrist wraps..it's why i suggested the harbinger ones in the first post I made. I also said don't be a tool and wear them during every exercise on every body part and got on the subject of people using straps and wraps for ridiculous reasons in the gym.

climber

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 11:03:57 PM »

I have been using wrist wraps for the last three years. I first got them just for extra support on my heaviest sets on bench. They help a lot with that! I now nearly always wear them when I'm in the gym. I don't use them for every exercise, like for example I don't use them for deadlifting but I do use them when I'm squatting. I really like the extra support it gives my wrists. I never have problems with them any more. They're also really good for things like cleaning a heavy set of dumb-bells for shoulder presses.
Hrmmm

spacemunkeyz

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 06:45:26 PM »
yeah i noticed i dont bench tooo heavy because there is alot of pressure on my wrist thats why i been thinking about using them
are there ways to strength your wrist though other then using wraps ???

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 06:53:49 PM »

Yeah think i should get my ass to a doctor..feels liek a broke my wrist, been hurtin for months, and has real sharp pains in the days after pressing days.

overcome

• Getbig II
  • Size comes with strength, strength comes from pain
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 08:45:36 AM »
I'm about to buy my first pair. I'm getting a  set from harbinger because everything I've ever used by them has been good quality. I would only suggest using them only when you're having to press or move alot of weight and it really really pains your wrists. Benching 400 or more is now requiring them because the irritation takes my mind off the lift. Like anything else, use them only when you must. Don't be walking around with them on LEG day like some other "hardcore" guys at my gym.  ::)

what i love is seeing the guys with weightbelts doing bench or pulldowns, shit just cracks me up.

you suck at life...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 08:31:05 AM »
If wrist wraps help with  the mental approach to lifting, than all the better. Some times the feel of just having support around the wrist, elbows, knee and back gives a boost to the confidence. Even though that feel of support may be misleading and weak at best. Wrist straps (not to be confused with lifting straps) with buckles or Velcro may prove a better option for serious lifting. They will give a proper brace to the joints involved. Like a lifting belt, should only be drawn to it's tightest only during the actual BP. Loosen as soon as possible after that lift. You want circulation to return back to normal with-in that joint area. Some guy's do not do that. Most people I've seen (PL/Olympic lifters), who use supports of any kind, use Inzer. Not an endorsement, just a observation.

Quite a few trainee's may find that holding the bar, when benching, a different way can lessen wrist stress. More on the heels of the hand rather than cradling it in the palms, with the thumbs wrapped around the bar. With the bar resting on the heels of the hand (with a false grip), a more straight and inline driving force with the wrist is achieved. With the bar resting in the palms of the hand there is more unneeded stress and stretch on the wrist. You should also gain a little more power with the bar on the heels of the hands style. You are pushing rather than pressing the bar. Also works well on military presses (push press). Chalk or stickum would be advised with this style. 

I'm sure the more experienced guy's here already use the bar on the heels of the hand method, but the newer people might consider this suggestion. And of course, never bench alone or without a GOOD spotter. Good luck.
F

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 04:06:15 PM »
Just an update. Don't skimp on your wrist wraps. I bought harbinger ones, and they didn't do shit. I should've listened to you guys. Everything else I've used of theirs has been awesome. The wrist wraps however...SUCKED!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 04:08:39 PM »
Just an update. Don't skimp on your wrist wraps. I bought harbinger ones, and they didn't do shit. I should've listened to you guys. Everything else I've used of theirs has been awesome. The wrist wraps however...SUCKED!
do yourself a favor and get the black Inzer wrist wraps with the red stripes, best wrist wraps on the market.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 04:14:04 PM »
do yourself a favor and get the black Inzer wrist wraps with the red stripes, best wrist wraps on the market.

Already ordered my friend!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »
Already ordered my friend!
awesome wraps and easy as shit to use, just pull the living shit out of 'em stick it to the velcro strap, they have a loop for your thumb for stability when you're pulling it, you'll definitely feel the difference on the heavy benches.

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 02:36:11 PM »
awesome wraps and easy as shit to use, just pull the living shit out of 'em stick it to the velcro strap, they have a loop for your thumb for stability when you're pulling it, you'll definitely feel the difference on the heavy benches.

agreed.  they are thick as shit... I have seen those harbinger ones and they are really thin and you have to wrap it around you wrist 14.5 times...haaha!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 06:06:05 AM »
agreed.  they are thick as shit... I have seen those harbinger ones and they are really thin and you have to wrap it around you wrist 14.5 times...haaha!

Where do you guys start your wraps? I start them at the base of my palm just below the thumb. Anything lower and it doesn't seam to work. The inzer ones actually have me pretty fucking excited waiting for them to come in. I sound like a gym tool but I am. The harbinger wraps I'm sure are great for someone that handles decent weight but Lately I've been pushing with a thumbless grip that seems to really help get some of the pressure off my wrist but they still need help. The harbinger ones aren't cutting it.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 07:55:36 AM »
the Inzer wraps will make your wrists feel like steel fenceposts.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 09:12:54 AM »
Glad to see that TWT has discovered the thumbless non grip. Actually some heavy bencher's do not use wrist straps, if their lifting physics are in order. Not even on those 500-600lb plus top position rack lockouts. But than again, some men will experience nerve irritation from the wrist down to the elbows , even with lighter weight, when benching.   Depending too much on wrist supports, for every set, can be a bid habit to get into. Some will apply a heating lotion and light wraps on the wrist area. They find this suitable rather than heavy wraps or straps. Good luck.
F

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 09:18:56 AM »
just dont use them too often.

d[-_-]b actin all cool