Author Topic: too much sets??  (Read 8514 times)

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
too much sets??
« on: July 09, 2008, 12:50:58 PM »
hey guys
 do you guys think that  12 - 16 sets per body part is to much?? I'm thinking about lowering it to just 12 - 9. do you guy that train with the set range  or low get a good pump as with high volume??

thx guys

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: too much sets??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:22:35 PM »
Depends on the muscle.

Way too much for biceps, but just right for back.

8)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
For me it depends on the bodypart.

Normally smaller parts like arms should be trained with less volume due to the fact that they are hit indirectly while training other bodyparts and that they are simply smaller and won`t usually recover from a lot of volume.

Best bet is to experiment and judge for yourself........everybod y`s different in the way they respond or don`t respond.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 01:40:35 PM »
thx for the replies guys

I have seen how much my arms have improved when I lovered it to 12 sets for bis and 12 for tris

I do  16 working sets for chest, back, delts  and quads

I do 12 for arms and hams

calves and abs are 8 sets

each body parts are trained once a week

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 01:59:01 PM »
just make sure you eat enough

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:33:47 PM »
Depends on the muscle.

Way too much for biceps, but just right for back.

8)

I disagree. Everyone thinks because the biceps/triceps is such a small muscle, it can't handle volume. It's the opposite. Because they are small muscles, they can recover from the volume rather quickly in comparison to the other muscles.

To answer the other question, regarding the amount of sets; I don't think it's too much. As long as you waver the volume or decrease it after a certain amount of time. Periodize the amount and you'll be good. It's OK to do 15+ sets for a few weeks, but then taper it off and do less sets (10-12) so you can recover.....

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »
short answer= no, its not too much

long answer=
i think it depends on the person

some people respond tremendous to high volume

some not so much

also, it depends on what you have been doing, and if thats working

even for guys who do well with high volume, after a while you can stagnate and you need to switch it up

and also, are you natural bodyuilding? natural bodybuilders need to find a good balance of growth stimulation and hormonal stimulation in order to realize that growth. too much sets= adverse effects on hormones. too few sets= no growth stimulation.  BALANCE

if your assisted, then all you worry about is maximizing your growth signals. so, to a point, more = better. because you hormonal level will be able to recooperate and recover from just about any amount of sets and growth stimulation.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 06:42:14 PM »
9-12 sets excluding warmups is more than enough IF the intensity's high on every set. The more sets are done, the less the intensity per set. Really it comes down to how hard you're willing to go on each set, the harder the work the less sets are needed to fatigue the muscle.

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 04:47:53 AM »
I disagree. Everyone thinks because the biceps/triceps is such a small muscle, it can't handle volume. It's the opposite. Because they are small muscles, they can recover from the volume rather quickly in comparison to the other muscles.

Are implying that someone with 20" arms performing bicep curls with 6 sets of 10 at 80% 1RM will take longer to recover then someone with 13 inch arms using the same set/rep scheme just because they have more muscle tissue?

Maybe the human body is capable of repairing all damaged muscle fibres in the muscle at the same time i.e. simultaneously or in parallel. IF this is the case then a small muscle will have similar recovery time to large muscles.

I think some small muslce groups like biceps, triceps and shoulders don't really get sore after a typical workout, and some people assume this means that they recover quickly?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 05:22:58 AM »

Really?

Would you like to elaborate on your theory?

8)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:40:36 AM »
my arms always grow better with high volume

i tried h.i.t. on my arms and i lost an inch within a month

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 09:04:36 AM »

When did you measure?

After a workout or first thing in the morning?

8)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 09:08:35 AM »
When did you measure?

After a workout or first thing in the morning?

8)
it was a rough estimate. just going by what the mirror tells me.

The Coach

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 10:04:07 AM »
hey guys
 do you guys think that  12 - 16 sets per body part is to much?? I'm thinking about lowering it to just 12 - 9. do you guy that train with the set range  or low get a good pump as with high volume??

thx guys

Your sets either way are fine. It's the reps you should keep between 8-12 or 15 at the highest depending on the bodypart. Keep rest no longer than 90-120sec.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 06:33:44 AM »
more sets always

never lower sets
Z

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 07:23:58 AM »
Are implying that someone with 20" arms performing bicep curls with 6 sets of 10 at 80% 1RM will take longer to recover then someone with 13 inch arms using the same set/rep scheme just because they have more muscle tissue?

I think some small muslce groups don't really get sore after a typical workout, and some people assume this means that they recover quickly?

Somebody who is bigger, will need more rest in general. Dennis James will have to rest more than the computer geek hoisting his 13" pythons while doing alternate DB curls with a whopping 25#. When I say this, I'm talking about a rather level playing field, so if one is one a boatload of gear, than he obviously has an advantage as well.
When I originally posted, I was not talking about the size of the person; 230 @ 5'9" versus 185 @ 5'9".  I was referring to muscle size similar to quads being a bit bigger than biceps or chest versus deltoids.
The fact that a muscle does not get sore, doesn't really matter. If you went water skiing and your arms were sore from holding the rope on a long ski, does that mean you can't do curls because you haven't recovered? Soreness is usually more an indicator that you've used the muscle in a different way and it is not used to that stimulus. Rather than being rested or not.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 08:56:06 AM »
more sets always

never lower sets

Who's got the time?

Unless you're under 20, as many as you can fit into an intense 30 minutes. Get in, get out, get back.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 10:46:12 AM »
I'm 25 y/o. believe it or not I can finish in  50-60 mins a session and 60-70 mins on legs. legs seem to be mostly putting on the plats and taken them off.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 11:58:37 AM »
depends on a whole lot of factors.

how long are you taking, how taxing is each set, what body part are you using, what exercises. hitting failure on 15 sets of heavy squats is suicide, but doing a very gradual pyramid and never hitting failure might work well.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 12:50:30 PM »
Somebody who is bigger, will need more rest in general. Dennis James will have to rest more than the computer geek hoisting his 13" pythons while doing alternate DB curls with a whopping 25#. When I say this, I'm talking about a rather level playing field, so if one is one a boatload of gear, than he obviously has an advantage as well.

Size differential and rest time has no proven correlation that i'm aware of.

Drugs is another story since it positively impacts recuperation time. On the other hand, drugs will not radically change every aspect of training either.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »
Size differential and rest time has no proven correlation that i'm aware of.

Drugs is another story since it positively impacts recuperation time. On the other hand, drugs will not radically change every aspect of training either.
well actually they do change alo about training.  ive said before, a natural cant just train to stimulate hypertrophy. there must be hormonal considerations as well.  a drug user trains soley for maximum hypertrophy stimulation. ( activating as much satellite cells and causing as many micro tears as possible).  this is why giant sets or jay cutler/gustavo badell type workouts wont be so greta for a natural. and why h.i.t./doggcrapp style training does work very well for naturals.

The Coach

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »
well actually they do change alo about training.  ive said before, a natural cant just train to stimulate hypertrophy. there must be hormonal considerations as well.  a drug user trains soley for maximum hypertrophy stimulation. ( activating as much satellite cells and causing as many micro tears as possible).  this is why giant sets or jay cutler/gustavo badell type workouts wont be so greta for a natural. and why h.i.t./doggcrapp style training does work very well for naturals.

LOL...K!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 07:24:57 PM »
LOL...K!
if you have something to say or contribute, or somethin youd like to dispute. then why dont you do so.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 12:18:26 PM »
depends how intense you can be in your sets.....

normally i do no more than 3-4 "intense sets" (about 3-4 exercises) per Musclegroup. Before my 1. exercise i do at least 4-5 "warm-up sets, for following exercises 1 or 2 (depends how heavy i go, what exercise, and so on...)

but honestly i like to work out once with Bluto..... ::)

Alex23

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 12:30:22 PM »

13" arms must suck.

But you're are right about the concept.