Author Topic: When Chic and Prince used to train....  (Read 69074 times)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: When Chic and Prince used to train....
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2008, 06:18:09 PM »
BEEF.. YOU ARE FULL oF SHIT. i used to like to read your stuff.. but, you proved yourself a fraud now.. i personally witnessed tom prince going well over 400 pounds for a few sets at golds on the incline in the smith machine.. a few days later i witnessed him going in the mid 300 range in the seated military press on the smith also.. so, as for training like a puss.. i dont know what you saw...

I trained with Tom...trust me..he was ungodly strong. Watched him do seated DB curls with the 85's...slow and methodical, like all his lifts. Routinly did inclines in the smith with 400 plus...and he would start at the BOTTOM of the lift! Put 11 plates on each side of the hack squat for a full set of 8...

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »
I trained with Tom...trust me..he was ungodly strong. Watched him do seated DB curls with the 85's...slow and methodical, like all his lifts. Routinly did inclines in the smith with 400 plus...and he would start at the BOTTOM of the lift! Put 11 plates on each side of the hack squat for a full set of 8...
anyone can do more weight on a smith machine
hack squats machine is a machine...nothing compares to the real thing-the free weight squat-check out in the trenches w/ pj braun-they show real squatting
and on the dumbell curl...did he have a supinated grip the whole time or did he turn the bells at the bottom? i bet if he couldnt do the turn at the bottom he couldnt curl that much
im not impressed
w

LATS

• Getbig IV
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2008, 06:42:20 PM »
 exactly chick... people can say they are not impressed but, i did not see many others coming close to those numbers.. smith machine or not..

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2008, 06:57:22 PM »
hack squats machine is a machine...nothing compares to the real thing-the free weight squat-check out in the trenches w/ pj braun-they show real squatting
and on the dumbell curl...did he have a supinated grip the whole time or did he turn the bells at the bottom? i bet if he couldnt do the turn at the bottom he couldnt curl that much
im not impressed

Because in all reality these are the things that really matter. Get a life...

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2008, 07:06:36 PM »
im not impressed

By all means...next time you're at the gym (assuming you've actually seen one)...put 450 on the smith machine and see if you can take the hooks off...or better yet, start at the bottom like TP used to do...try and lift it once.

Classic post from a fool who don't know shit about BB, or training...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2008, 07:09:54 PM »
By all means...next time you're at the gym (assuming you've actually seen one)...put 450 on the smith machine and see if you can take the hooks off...or better yet, start at the bottom like TP used to do...try and lift it once.

Classic post from a fool who don't know shit about BB, or training...

lol, well said.

I don't care what anyone says, 11 plates a side on hacks is insane.

Was that a regular lift for Tom, or was that just a once-off lift?

Gotta wonder how the knees could cope with that weight after a while...
No doubt about it...

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2008, 07:16:52 PM »
lol, well said.

I don't care what anyone says, 11 plates a side on hacks is insane.

Was that a regular lift for Tom, or was that just a once-off lift?

Gotta wonder how the knees could cope with that weight after a while...

They didn't...neither did his shoulders, had multiple surguries on both over the years...TP trained slow, methodical and controlled (making his lifts even harder)

11 plates is stupid strong....I have what I would consider decent strength by pro standards, and I only got up to 7....Tom was up there with Ronnie in the sheer strength dept.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2008, 07:19:48 PM »
11 plates is stupid strong....I have what I would consider decent strength by pro standards, and I only got up to 7....Tom was up there with Ronnie in the sheer strength dept.

Come on Chick!  I consider you a rational thinker - and this is BBing heresy!  Nobody can move the FREE WEIGHTS like RC.  TP was extremely strong - but I doubt he could hang with Ronnie at Metroflex hittin the FREE WEIGHTS.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2008, 07:24:52 PM »
Come on Chick!  I consider you a rational thinker - and this is BBing heresy!  Nobody can move the FREE WEIGHTS like RC.  TP was extremely strong - but I doubt he could hang with Ronnie at Metroflex hittin the FREE WEIGHTS.

Trust me bro...TP could hang all day long, especially before injuries took their toll...that said, I'm sure they each had lifts they couldn't beat each other on...

Canadian_Muscle

• Getbig III
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2008, 07:26:58 PM »
They didn't...neither did his shoulders, had multiple surguries on both over the years...TP trained slow, methodical and controlled (making his lifts even harder)

Extremely impressive lifts. How heavy would he usually go on deads and rows?

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2008, 07:30:35 PM »
Trust me bro...TP could hang all day long, especially before injuries took their toll...that said, I'm sure they each had lifts they couldn't beat each other on...

You're probably right - as you know both guys well and are an industry insider.  Mind giving us a few more examples of TP's strength on various lifts?

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2008, 07:42:39 PM »
still goes to show back then that barbarian David Paul was one or the strongest man around in all lifts(and with a tiny waist),not just a few excersise,i think most that have been around golds in the last 3 decades know this

HeyNow

• Getbig III
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2008, 07:44:51 PM »
Exactly...I see nothing wrong with aspiring to be like those you idolize...in any sport. Will purchasing Tiger Woods DVD series on becoming a better golfer make me one of the best in the world...probably not...but It may help ME become a BETTER golfer....

Very true. 

MuscleMc you just got served.

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2008, 01:18:45 AM »
I would then move on to Chic's best buddy, Tom "I stand in paper bags" Prince. Get back to rubbing under your nutsack and smelling your fingers.
Nothing wrong with smelling your own nutsack.

Bear

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2008, 03:18:46 AM »
of course its not rubbish, upping the dosage is code for 'great genetics'.

and no, bodybuilding isnt powerlifting as you dont have to squat/bench/deadlift if your bodybuilding but you have to get stronger at the exercises you choose to do, if your goal is to grow in the long run. specially as a natural.

Haha, upping the dosage doesn't improve your symmetry unless your training is doing what it's supposed to. Tris too big for your bis? Up the dosage! Delts too big for chest? Up the dosage. That just doesn't make sense. If upping the dosage was all that's required Tamali and Kovacs would look like Ronnie. Clearly these guys take as much as they can but genetically fall short.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2008, 03:55:08 AM »
Hi Chic - I have a question. Guys like you and Tom - back then when you trained, did you consider bodybuilding your profession? Or was it more like a sport you loved, but you also had a regular 9-5 type job?

Assuming alot of the guys back then simply ate, slept, trained and partied a bit, how did they get by financially? I presume some did part-time bouncer work. Did photo shoots, product endorsements and prize money pay enough on its own?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2008, 07:40:39 AM »
Hi Chic - I have a question. Guys like you and Tom - back then when you trained, did you consider bodybuilding your profession? Or was it more like a sport you loved, but you also had a regular 9-5 type job?

Assuming alot of the guys back then simply ate, slept, trained and partied a bit, how did they get by financially? I presume some did part-time bouncer work. Did photo shoots, product endorsements and prize money pay enough on its own?

Most of us had contracts with Supplement companies, endorsement deals, and publication contracts...I was with GNC when I first turned pro, Tom was with Weider....

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2008, 07:45:41 AM »
Are you really a homosexual Bob?

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2008, 07:46:47 AM »
lifting heavy weights is dangerous, who cares if your strong or not? there is always going to be someone stronger
L

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2008, 08:39:08 AM »

I think this is what screwed up and ruined bodybuilding in general, when bodybuilders started thinking they're stars in the 80's and this whole 'pro' thing started, you didn't see any of that in Arnold's day, and everything was good and fine. Now it's just a bunch of lazy ass bitches who don't want to work, so they sit around and do nothing all day but eat, train and sleep.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2008, 08:51:14 AM »
I think this is what screwed up and ruined bodybuilding in general, when bodybuilders started thinking they're stars in the 80's and this whole 'pro' thing started, you didn't see any of that in Arnold's day, and everything was good and fine. Now it's just a bunch of lazy ass bitches who don't want to work, so they sit around and do nothing all day but eat, train and sleep.

Well Capt. what do you think they would do for a job?  I mean they have to train like an hour and a half each day.  Doesn't really leave much time for a real job now does it.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2008, 09:01:36 AM »
Well Capt. what do you think they would do for a job?  I mean they have to train like an hour and a half each day.  Doesn't really leave much time for a real job now does it.

Oh no!  I would never imply they actually get off their lazy asses and work for a living! that would be unjust... we should start a fund like UNICEF, for struggling bodybuilders, so they can focus on just training, eating and sleeping! poor guys..  :-X

Smokincrazy

• Getbig IV
  • owned,meltdown,epic......
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2008, 09:49:17 AM »
Are you really a homosexual Bob?
Bob's gotten more pussy than you'll get in five lifetimes

BigAnt

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • What don't kill me...makes me stronger
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2008, 01:17:56 PM »
I took a vacation in CA back in 2002, stopped at Venice Beach, trained at Gold's...saw Tom and Bob training..honest no BS here...chest training...both did dumbbell presses into the 140's with very strict form in the 10-15 rep range, H/S machine was loaded with 45's again, no stupid sloppy form and smith inclines with 405/455lbs full range of motion.  I was also training chest....aferwards, I went to the FireHouse for food, both where there also, they both posed for pics. with me and my girl, talked training-nutrition and bodybuilding with me...If you ever watch any of the BFTO tapes-videos, you will see some heavy weights they use, mind you, at this time, they are very deep into their pre-contest training as well!