Author Topic: Meg Whitman, Hewlett-Packard Executive, Hits the Trail... again  (Read 65012 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Meg Whitman, Hewlett-Packard Executive, Hits the Trail... again
« on: February 10, 2009, 12:56:46 PM »
Ex-eBay CEO Whitman stirs up governor's race
Carla Marinucci, Chronicle Political Writer
(02-09) 11:44 PST SAN FRANCISCO --

Former eBay CEO Meg Whitman, 52, a billionaire Republican businesswoman who built the online marketplace into a household name, now is looking to tackle the considerable financial problems of the Golden State: She has announced an exploratory committee to make a 2010 run for governor.

Whitman is entering what is expected to be a crowded and expensive contest, highlighted by the presence of three GOP moderates from the Silicon Valley: Whitman, state Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner - who made millions in cell phone technology before he entered politics - and former Rep. Tom Campbell of San Jose.

Democrats already lining up for a shot at their party's nomination include state Attorney General Jerry Brown, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Lt. Gov. John Garamendi, who has already declared his intention to run, and Rep. Loretta Sanchez of Orange County. Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is considering a run, and U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein refused last week to count herself out.

Whitman served as a lead adviser to 2008 GOP presidential candidate John McCain. Before that, she supported former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who dropped out during the primaries.

Whitman's campaign - its motto is "A New California" - will have some high-profile help: former Gov. Pete Wilson; U.S. Rep. Kevin McCarthy of Bakersfield, the House chief deputy minority whip; and U.S. Rep. Mary Bono of Palm Springs will serve as co-chairs.

Whitman is expected to preview her gubernatorial campaign in two major speeches next week, one in the Central Valley and another in Orange County. She will formally address California Republicans as a candidate for the first time at their state convention, delivering the keynote lunch address Feb. 21 in Sacramento.

With the primaries a year off, political analysts say Whitman's entry into the Republicans contest could shake things up.

"Poizner and Whitman have a lot in common: business background, political philosophy and personal fortune - but what is the one difference in the race? Gender," said Bill Whalen, research fellow at the Hoover Institution, who has also advised both Wilson and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. He notes that the GOP has suffered from a lack of major female candidates at a statewide level - Maureen Reagan's run for Senate in 1982 was one of the last such campaigns. So if "there is a big sweet spot of women on the Republican side who are looking for a serious woman player ... then Whitman actually has a shot to peel them away," he said.

But Whitman, an Atherton resident who has two college-age children and is married to a neurosurgeon, has never run for public office.

Indeed, a Chronicle investigation showed that until about 18 months ago, Whitman was a decline-to-state voter who had not cast a ballot in some of the state's most important elections.

Records from San Mateo County show that she became a Republican in September 2007 and did not vote in more than half the federal, state and local elections since she registered to vote in the county in September 2002. Among the elections in which she failed to vote were the 2003 recall that ousted Democratic Gov. Gray Davis - a watershed for the state's GOP - and the 2005 special election that Schwarzenegger called the most important effort to reform California government in a generation.

Still, Whalen said that though Whitman could face criticism that she aims to parachute into the job without any record of public service, she might have an advantage against some of the Democratic hopefuls.

In the current economic climate, he said, "The voters are going to want to elect someone who can get things done. ... Which do you want: decades of experience or maybe someone who has also accomplished something on the private side?"

But Democrats say her resume leaves her open to attack. "Whitman is one of a long line of wealthy business types who want their first public office to be governor," including Democratic businessman Al Checchi in 1998 and Republican Bill Simon in 2002, said Democratic strategist Garry South, who advises Newsom. "With the exception of Arnold, California voters haven't shown receptivity to that.

"And given the current state of California, Arnold has further curdled that argument; he has left the state in worse condition than he got it in the recall in 2003. That's a classic example of how an outsider can't just ride in on a white horse and clean up the mess."

But Whitman could face other problems from inside her party. Within hours of her announcement, Tim Hudson, chairman of the GOP Placer County Central Committee, filed a complaint with the state Fair Political Practices Commission, alleging Whitman has failed to properly report income and expenditures from what he said have been months of campaigning.

Hudson is running for a party post - and has been endorsed by Poizner.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Ex-eBay CEO Whitman stirs up CA governor's race
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:26:08 PM »
"And given the current state of California, Arnold has further curdled that argument; he has left the state in worse condition than he got it in the recall in 2003. That's a classic example of how an outsider can't just ride in on a white horse and clean up the mess."

And Gray Davis has the last laugh.  ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:43:42 PM »
And Gray Davis has the last laugh.  ::)

Isn't Gavin Newsom also running? 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:47:50 AM »
GOP gubernatorial candidate Whitman outlines stands
The former chief executive of Ebay displays a sharply conservative approach to the state's financial crisis.

By Michael Finnegan

Reporting from Cupertino, Calif. -- A day after launching her campaign for governor, former EBay Chief Executive Meg Whitman on Tuesday unveiled a sharply conservative approach to California's fiscal crisis and offered a fusillade of positions on other issues that are likely to complicate her run for office in 2010.

In a wide-ranging interview, the first-time Republican candidate's demeanor vacillated between that of a confident, take-charge chief executive officer delivering a PowerPoint presentation to that of an ill-at-ease novice who has studied stacks of policy binders, but has yet to master the art of political maneuvering.

"I don't know the answer to that question," Whitman responded when asked her stand on school vouchers, a perennial issue of importance to the conservatives who dominate her party's primary.

Views that could potentially attract or alienate all manner of voters emerged on the subject of gay marriage.

Explaining her support for Proposition 8, the November measure that banned same-sex marriage, she called it a "matter of personal conscience and my faith."

But Whitman, a Presbyterian who supports gay civil unions, said the thousands of same-sex marriages that took place last year before the ban should be legally recognized -- a sentiment opposed by many Proposition 8 backers. Moreover, she said, gay and lesbian couples should be able to adopt children.

Whitman's approach on fiscal matters -- a key element of her pitch to voters -- rested on other seeming contradictions.

At a time when California has frozen tax refunds and halted highway construction to preserve solvency, Whitman, who described herself as a billionaire, said the state should not ask even those in the highest income-tax bracket to pay more.

"One of the things which I'm sure you know," she said, "is that 1% of the people in California pay 50% of the taxes, right? And I am not in favor of raising taxes on anyone right now."

At the same time, Whitman praised former Republican Gov. Pete Wilson for his role in the 1990s budget crisis. She said the tax hikes imposed by Wilson -- whom she described as the greatest California governor in memory -- made sense at the time, even if they would be inappropriate now.

"I trust his judgment back then," she said of Wilson, her campaign chairman.

The interview, which took place at the spartan Silicon Valley office of the company that designed her campaign website, was the first since she announced her candidacy.

Like all Republicans in statewide primaries, Whitman is facing pressure to prove her ideological purity to conservatives who dominate party contests. The pressure is particularly acute for Whitman because of her recent bolt onto the political stage.

A New York native who first moved to California in 1981, she called herself "a lifelong Republican." She waited until 2007 to switch her registration from nonpartisan to Republican, she said, because she believed that the leader of EBay, the Internet auction site, should appear politically neutral. She also wanted to vote in the 2008 GOP presidential primary for her friend Mitt Romney, she said.

Whitman's views have been largely private until now, but the stances she sketched out Tuesday are sure to cause her trouble in both the June 2010 primary and -- were she to win -- the November 2010 general election.

Her embrace of Wilson, still a highly controversial figure a decade after leaving office, may prove difficult for her, as it has for other Republican candidates.

But she also expressed differences with Wilson that may irk those who agree with the former governor.

Besides objecting to higher taxes -- which along with program cuts formed Wilson's solution to the 1990s budget mess -- Whitman also said she would have voted against Proposition 187 had she lived in California when it passed in 1994. The measure, pressed by Wilson as he sought reelection that year, was intended to deny education, healthcare and other public services to undocumented immigrants.

"I would not have been prepared to strip all of those services away from children," she said.

At the same time, however, Whitman said Tuesday that schools, hospitals and law enforcement agencies should be required to report undocumented immigrants to federal authorities. She later backtracked on schools, saying, "I want to think about that a little bit." She also said she opposed the issuance of drivers' licenses for those in the country illegally...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-whitman11-2009feb11,0,938314,full.story

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 07:01:19 AM »
Anyone will be better than Arnold.

He let his wife tell him what to do and the state suffered.   

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 09:21:20 AM »
We can all miss voting every now and then for various reasons (travel, work obligations, illness, etc.) but would you feel comfortable voting someone into high office who failed to vote in several past election cycles?  I already had a low opinion of her, but when I learned that Caroline Kennedy failed to vote for several elections I was ready to throw her under the bus (again). 

Now comes Meg Whitman who, it has been revealed, failed to vote in several election cycles.  She said "it's something I regret. And [there are] no good excuses for it."  To me, this is almost as bad as not paying your taxes.  Why does someone who failed to vote think they belong in high elected office?  On her campaign website and in interviews, she has said she will "not stand by and watch California fail," but she effectively already did that by not voting--for years!  By the way, she claims to be "a lifelong Republican" but it wasn't until 2007 that she switched her registration from nonpartisan to Republican.   ::)

Meg did a good job at eBay--except for Skype (oops!), and I respect her far more that Carly Fiorina, but failing to vote is disqualifying in my view because not voting tells you that the person does not care about public affairs or public service at all; they are only in the political arena to serve themselves (ego, money, connections).  That is not unusual in politics (or any number of other fields) but to see voting as a priority only when you (or your friend Mitt Romney) are running for office is pretty transparent.  Sorry Meg: no sale.  >:(

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 09:22:23 AM »
Unless CA massively cuts off spending to illegals, your state is heading off the cliff.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 10:08:14 AM »
Her handlers need to glam her up a bit.  These images of her on her own website are not flattering.  I have seen her look much better.  :-\

http://www.megwhitman.com/

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 10:42:39 AM »
she would do the most good to our economy by going back to e-bay and fixing the now worthless shithole.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 10:44:45 AM »
She shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath with Caroline Kennedy, but a person has no business running for public office when they don't vote. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:59:10 AM »

Gavin Newsome is unelectable outside of SF. He might pull 40% just because he's a Democrat, but even a lot of Dems out of the Bay Area will fail to buy into his utopian bullshit.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »
Gavin Newsome is unelectable outside of SF. He might pull 40% just because he's a Democrat, but even a lot of Dems out of the Bay Area will fail to buy into his utopian bullshit.

you could be right.  I have no idea how viable he would be across the entire state.   It really all depends on who he's up against and how well he handles himself. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 11:20:13 AM »
Very good speaker though. Even though I disagree with alot of what he says, I still like to hear him talk.

Interesting guy.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »
Very good speaker though. Even though I disagree with alot of what he says, I still like to hear him talk.

Interesting guy.

yeah he is a good speaker and he's young, goodlooking,etc... all that stuff helps and if he tones down the liberal stuff or tailors it to his crowds then he may have a chance

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 11:28:02 AM »
Newsome is the same terd who slept with his campaign manager's wife.   ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 11:32:34 AM »
Newsome is the same terd who slept with his campaign manager's wife.   ::)

I couldn't care less

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »
I couldn't care less

You would if you were his campain manager.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 11:34:52 AM »

that's true

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 11:36:46 AM »
I couldn't care less

I couldn't care less that you care less. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 11:37:30 AM »

Tell me about it. 

Campaign managers are like brothers (or sisters).  Pretty treacherous. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 11:41:30 AM »
I couldn't care less that you care less. 

and of the two of us I'm the only one who will actually be voting in the election

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 11:43:41 AM »

Why are you talking about Gavin Newsom?  Do you live in San Francisco?  Have you voted for him?  Why is he even on your radar screen? ???

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 11:48:31 AM »
Why are you talking about Gavin Newsom?  Do you live in San Francisco?  Have you voted for him?  Why is he even on your radar screen? ???

I live in the Bay Area and I thought I heard on the news that he was running or announced an exploratory commitee or something to that effect. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »
I live in the Bay Area and I thought I heard on the news that he was running or announced an exploratory commitee or something to that effect. 

Sure, he'll run, but I don't think many people (even in SF) are taking his candidacy very seriously at this point.  I wonder why someone who doesn't live in SF would be paying much attention to him or mentioning him in the same breath/thread with Meg Whitman.  Can you name three things that make Gavin a viable candidate over say Jerry Brown or Villaraigosa in Los Angeles?

Meg's financial resources, history in the private sector, gender and historical timeframe make her an instant front runner.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 11:59:56 AM »
Sure, he'll run, but I don't think many people (even in SF) are taking his candidacy very seriously at this point.  I wonder why someone who doesn't live in SF would be paying much attention to him or mentioning him in the same breath/thread with Meg Whitman.  Can you name three things that make Gavin a viable candidate over say Jerry Brown or Villaraigosa in Los Angeles?

Meg's financial resources, history in the private sector, gender and historical timeframe make her an instant front runner.

I'm not following it at all.

my initial comment was just a question

and I didn't even say I would vote for him