Author Topic: Your country or your parents....  (Read 4395 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Your country or your parents....
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:23:58 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/04/13/japan.philippines.calderon/index.html#cnnSTCText

By Kyung Lah
CNN

TOKYO, Japan (CNN) -- The clicking of dozens of news cameras drowned out the sobs of the 13-year-old girl, but her face explained what was happening in the departure hall of Japan's Narita International Airport.

Noriko Calderon, wearing her school uniform, was being forced to make one of the most wrenching choices of her young life: To stay in the country of her birth rather than join her parents being deported to the Philippines.

The scene was the emotional climax to a story a decade and a half in the making -- one that has tugged at heartstrings in Japan, but ultimately failed to sway to an unyielding bureaucracy that activists say violates human rights.

Filipinos Arlan and Sarah Calderon illegally entered Japan in the early 1990s on fake passports. They married and had a daughter, Noriko.

Arlan found a stable job working for a construction company. Noriko grew up Japanese, attending school and never learning her parents' native language.

Noriko, like many Tokyo girls her age, loves hip-hop and hopes to be a dancer or a teacher at a dance school someday.

But her future in the only country she's ever known went into limbo when Japanese immigration authorities arrested her mother in 2006.

Her parents decided to fight Japan's notoriously rigid immigration laws and for three years under a harsh media spotlight, they argued their case all the way to the country's High Court, saying Arlan is gainfully employed and their daughter only speaks Japanese.

The family lost their case in the High Court, and Japan ordered Arlan and Sarah Calderon be deported back to the Philippines.  Watch CNN interview with family »

Activists claim Japan's notoriously rigid immigration laws violate human rights. An estimated 500 families are in the same situation according to lawyers, who accuse Japan of not respecting the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Japan's Immigration Bureau in a statement to CNN said the couple's illegal presence in the country as an "extremely malicious" violation that "shakes the foundation of Japan's immigration control."

But when it came to 13 year old Noriko, the government gave the girl a choice: Her country or her parents.

"Japan is my homeland," says Noriko, when asked why she is choosing to stay behind. She will move in with an aunt, allowed to stay in Japan under a visa that the government will reassess yearly.

Her life, say her parents, will be better in Japan. She'll have schooling and the dreams a big city like Tokyo can offer her, versus the impoverished farm community her parents will move back to in the Philippines.

But as the Calderons packed up their small apartment in the days leading up to the deportation, the reality of what would soon happen to the family became more and more harsh.

"Until I'm an adult, I need my parents," Noriko said, her pink cheeks stained with tears.

"We won't be there when she needs us the most," said Arlan Calderon. "She has to protect herself on her own. I'm so sorry about that."

Shogo Watanabe, the Calderons' attorney, collected more than 20,000 signatures in Japan to try and keep the family together in the country.

"Children should be protected when their parents are punished. It's the child's right. But there's no consideration for that at all. I do not think the government is being flexible," said Watanabe.

Under Japanese immigration laws, the Calderons won't be allowed back into Japan for five years.

They've asked for a special waiver to visit their daughter after a year, but it hasn't been granted yet. So their last, public hug could be the last time they see their daughter until she's 18.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Your country or your parents....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:50:39 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/04/13/japan.philippines.calderon/index.html#cnnSTCText

By Kyung Lah
CNN

TOKYO, Japan (CNN) -- The clicking of dozens of news cameras drowned out the sobs of the 13-year-old girl, but her face explained what was happening in the departure hall of Japan's Narita International Airport.

Noriko Calderon, wearing her school uniform, was being forced to make one of the most wrenching choices of her young life: To stay in the country of her birth rather than join her parents being deported to the Philippines.

The scene was the emotional climax to a story a decade and a half in the making -- one that has tugged at heartstrings in Japan, but ultimately failed to sway to an unyielding bureaucracy that activists say violates human rights.

Filipinos Arlan and Sarah Calderon illegally entered Japan in the early 1990s on fake passports. They married and had a daughter, Noriko.

Arlan found a stable job working for a construction company. Noriko grew up Japanese, attending school and never learning her parents' native language.

Noriko, like many Tokyo girls her age, loves hip-hop and hopes to be a dancer or a teacher at a dance school someday.

But her future in the only country she's ever known went into limbo when Japanese immigration authorities arrested her mother in 2006.

Her parents decided to fight Japan's notoriously rigid immigration laws and for three years under a harsh media spotlight, they argued their case all the way to the country's High Court, saying Arlan is gainfully employed and their daughter only speaks Japanese.

The family lost their case in the High Court, and Japan ordered Arlan and Sarah Calderon be deported back to the Philippines.  Watch CNN interview with family »

Activists claim Japan's notoriously rigid immigration laws violate human rights. An estimated 500 families are in the same situation according to lawyers, who accuse Japan of not respecting the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Japan's Immigration Bureau in a statement to CNN said the couple's illegal presence in the country as an "extremely malicious" violation that "shakes the foundation of Japan's immigration control."

But when it came to 13 year old Noriko, the government gave the girl a choice: Her country or her parents.

"Japan is my homeland," says Noriko, when asked why she is choosing to stay behind. She will move in with an aunt, allowed to stay in Japan under a visa that the government will reassess yearly.

Her life, say her parents, will be better in Japan. She'll have schooling and the dreams a big city like Tokyo can offer her, versus the impoverished farm community her parents will move back to in the Philippines.

But as the Calderons packed up their small apartment in the days leading up to the deportation, the reality of what would soon happen to the family became more and more harsh.

"Until I'm an adult, I need my parents," Noriko said, her pink cheeks stained with tears.

"We won't be there when she needs us the most," said Arlan Calderon. "She has to protect herself on her own. I'm so sorry about that."

Shogo Watanabe, the Calderons' attorney, collected more than 20,000 signatures in Japan to try and keep the family together in the country.

"Children should be protected when their parents are punished. It's the child's right. But there's no consideration for that at all. I do not think the government is being flexible," said Watanabe.

Under Japanese immigration laws, the Calderons won't be allowed back into Japan for five years.

They've asked for a special waiver to visit their daughter after a year, but it hasn't been granted yet. So their last, public hug could be the last time they see their daughter until she's 18.

[/quote

Yup, no one is Japanese in Japan, even if born and bred, etc...just ask Donkeykong...
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 08:24:10 AM »
This story reads like a pro-immigrants PR piece.

At least Japan has the balls to see the stupidity of the 'anchor baby' scam.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:29:03 AM »

Breaking up families is not the answer.    The immigration problem is solved at the border and strong enforcement in the country.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 09:22:01 AM »

Breaking up families is not the answer.    The immigration problem is solved at the border and strong enforcement in the country.

You can enforce laws and protect borders all day long but if someone is hell-bent on finding a way around those laws, they will.  And then they need to be held accountable for doing so.  These parents knew they were doing it the wrong way and now they're dealing with the consequences.  Personal responsibility and accountability--I know it's a novel concept but I'm hoping it will catch on.  I wish US immigration law enforcement was this tough.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:25:45 AM »
Canada had the same problem and they fixed it....
L

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:41:29 AM »

Yes Ozmo, but in the US it is arranged so that 'families' are used as a technical loophole for adults to scam the system. That's great that this girl was represented as fully assimilated, but here most of the kids in question are still 100% foreigners.

Whenever mom and dad are caught, the first thing they do is cry for their kids, and say the kids will be orphans if the parents are deported. It's 100% scam. Look up what happened in Colorado when the Swift packing plant was raided, they released something like 75%+ of the detainees on OR because the kids 'had no one to watch and care for them'. The majority of the 'parents' then of course disappeared...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 09:43:30 AM »
Canada had the same problem and they fixed it....

ZERO ia pushing amnesty in May 2009.  I dont think he plans on fixing things the way 70% of the public wants.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 09:49:53 AM »
Of course he is promoting amnesty. He's a democrat. They want that permanent voting block. The left in this country is willing to inject cancer into the American society for that little power boost...

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 10:28:24 AM »
You can enforce laws and protect borders all day long but if someone is hell-bent on finding a way around those laws, they will.  And then they need to be held accountable for doing so.  These parents knew they were doing it the wrong way and now they're dealing with the consequences.  Personal responsibility and accountability--I know it's a novel concept but I'm hoping it will catch on.  I wish US immigration law enforcement was this tough.

One person can always find a way in.  But if we enforce things the way we should millions wont find a way in.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 10:30:53 AM »
Yes Ozmo, but in the US it is arranged so that 'families' are used as a technical loophole for adults to scam the system. That's great that this girl was represented as fully assimilated, but here most of the kids in question are still 100% foreigners.

Whenever mom and dad are caught, the first thing they do is cry for their kids, and say the kids will be orphans if the parents are deported. It's 100% scam. Look up what happened in Colorado when the Swift packing plant was raided, they released something like 75%+ of the detainees on OR because the kids 'had no one to watch and care for them'. The majority of the 'parents' then of course disappeared...

Looking at all this, it seems the best way to solve this problem is prevention.  Not much can or will be done with the people that are already here.  I'm not saying its right to keep em.  I'm just thinking focusing on prevention is more of a long term solution.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 10:32:18 AM »
One person can always find a way in.  But if we enforce things the way we should millions wont find a way in.

Yes, but we are saying that one person becomes two.... and some people seem to think that justifies both being able to stay.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 10:36:35 AM »
Looking at all this, it seems the best way to solve this problem is prevention.  Not much can or will be done with the people that are already here.  I'm not saying its right to keep em.  I'm just thinking focusing on prevention is more of a long term solution.

So do you think that liberal society will be ok with the 'once here the're ok, but pull up the ladder'? If I am an illegal, should I be able to claim that I have a cousin in the country, and therefore you should let me in too because it's unfair to break up families? Should we effectually pardon all rapists we havent caught yet and just focus on the ones from now on?

I understand your position Ozmo. You're one of my favorite dudes on here  :D, I just think it sets a bad presedence to say, 'If you got this far, it's all good".

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 10:58:03 AM »
Yes, but we are saying that one person becomes two.... and some people seem to think that justifies both being able to stay.

True, but it won't become millions.  If we actively had enforced immigration laws on the border and in the country there would have never been as many illegals in this country to begin with.

So do you think that liberal society will be ok with the 'once here the're ok, but pull up the ladder'? If I am an illegal, should I be able to claim that I have a cousin in the country, and therefore you should let me in too because it's unfair to break up families? Should we effectually pardon all rapists we havent caught yet and just focus on the ones from now on?

I understand your position Ozmo. You're one of my favorite dudes on here  :D, I just think it sets a bad presedence to say, 'If you got this far, it's all good".

Thanks Hereford. 

I guess what I'm saying is that trying to kick out all the illegals would be far more trouble and costly than it's worth at this point.  It would take years costing the tax payers millions while every illegal finds a way to bring it to court, not to mention to cost of rounding them up, deporting them, and the effect it will have on our business and economy.

Seal the borders tight and move forward seems to make more sense.  I donno.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
True, but it won't become millions.  If we actively had enforced immigration laws on the border and in the country there would have never been as many illegals in this country to begin with.

Thanks Hereford. 

I guess what I'm saying is that trying to kick out all the illegals would be far more trouble and costly than it's worth at this point.  It would take years costing the tax payers millions while every illegal finds a way to bring it to court, not to mention to cost of rounding them up, deporting them, and the effect it will have on our business and economy.

Seal the borders tight and move forward seems to make more sense.  I donno.

You dont have to kick them out.  Make it harder for them to make $$$ off the books and throw a few slave holders, aka employers in the jail for a few years, no welfare or Emtala, etc and they will go home by themselves.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 11:07:46 AM »

It's more complicated than that.

Example.

'Comfort women' who were raped and forced to live in Japan for decades from Korea have children who turn have children, yes third generation that don't speak a lick of Korean, only know Japanese, Japan, etc and are still not citizens. There is a special term for them. They are called 'Zainichi'. Comparing the Japan and the US on immigration policy is best done with the proper information as they are situationally, vastly different from each other.
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 11:18:22 AM »
To my knowledge none of the millions of illegals here were forced into sexual slavery and made to come to the US.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 11:20:54 AM »
To my knowledge none of the millions of illegals here were forced into sexual slavery and made to come to the US.

Some are forced by their own people as the price for passage over the border.

Just more jobs that "Americans wont do."

Another thing, if all the illegals are given amensty and citizenship, who then will do all the jobs "Americans" dont want to do????

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 11:25:29 AM »

Which was my point; the situation in Japan and the US is apples and oranges.
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 11:31:42 AM »
Some are forced by their own people as the price for passage over the border.

Just more jobs that "Americans wont do."

Another thing, if all the illegals are given amensty and citizenship, who then will do all the jobs "Americans" dont want to do????

Haha, point taken,  :)

I can say firsthand that illegals don't want to do those jobs that 'Americans' don't want to do either. This is why they are transitioning into the hotel, construction, etc industries.  They don't just pick lettuce anymore. They do these jobs because they can get paid under the table, and these jobs have little accountibility (no identity verification, little job-skill requirements, easy to move around, etc). An illegal will go on welfare way before they will work one of the crappy jobs everyone associates them with.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 11:50:25 AM »
Haha, point taken,  :)

I can say firsthand that illegals don't want to do those jobs that 'Americans' don't want to do either. This is why they are transitioning into the hotel, construction, etc industries.  They don't just pick lettuce anymore. They do these jobs because they can get paid under the table, and these jobs have little accountibility (no identity verification, little job-skill requirements, easy to move around, etc). An illegal will go on welfare way before they will work one of the crappy jobs everyone associates them with.

Would you say one of your biggest passions in life is hating Mexicans? ;D
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 11:55:33 AM »
It's more PC these days than hating Jews.

***BOOM***  :o :o :o ;D 

I don't really think about it that much off Getbig. Sorry man.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 11:57:08 AM »
It's more PC these days than hating Jews.

***BOOM***  :o :o :o ;D 

I don't really think about it that much off Getbig. Sorry man.

Kind of like me and religion.

Fortuna omnes aequale favorat.
I hate the State.

Stormspirit

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »
Good for japan...this is exactly why they will long outlast the US, and probably most of Europe.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 12:10:19 PM »
Good for japan...this is exactly why they will long outlast the US, and probably most of Europe.

Like I said, totally different issue and by the way, Japan is dying. They have the lowest reproductive rate in the world and are even hiring Chinese (whom they hate) to be farmers there. Japan's naturalisation laws are absurd; why should third generation children whose grandmothers were rape victims and only know Japan NOT be citizens?
I hate the State.