Author Topic: Council votes to ban use of cell phones while driving  (Read 28510 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Council votes to ban use of cell phones while driving
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:17:47 PM »
Booooooo.  Sounds a little broad. 

Council votes to ban use of cell phones while driving
Advertiser Staff

The Honolulu City Council this morning passed a bill that would ban the use of handheld cell phones while driving.

Motorists could still use their phones via hands-free technology.

Mayor Mufi Hannemann has said he supports such a ban. If he signs it, the law would take effect July 1.

Maj. Thomas Nitta, head of the Honolulu Police Department's traffic division, said some details on how the law will be implemented need to be worked out. However, it's likely the fine for a first violation would be between $20 to $100.

The measure was proposed by council members Rod Tam and Donovan Dela Cruz after Hannemann vetoed an earlier ban that included text messaging and playing video games.

Hannemann and Honolulu police said the law would be unenforceable since officers would have to determine what the driver was doing.

Under the new bill, an officer only needs to see a driver holding an electronic device while driving to issue a citation.

The bill exempts emergency workers if they are in the performance of their duties.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090422/BREAKING01/90422050

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: Council votes to ban use of cell phones while driving
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 05:30:07 PM »
What's to get?  It should be that way with every state.  People can barely drive without any distractions.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:18:17 PM »
What's to get?  It should be that way with every state.  People can barely drive without any distractions.

This part sounds a little broad:  "Under the new bill, an officer only needs to see a driver holding an electronic device while driving to issue a citation."

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
They just passed similar legislation today here in Ontario. Very soon it will apply to ALL handheld devices.
I completely agree with it. Changing the radio station can be distracting enough, ...we don't need people texting on their blackberries, reading eMail, or scrolling through their iPods instead of focussing on driving their vehicles.
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 06:30:55 PM »
This part sounds a little broad:  "Under the new bill, an officer only needs to see a driver holding an electronic device while driving to issue a citation."

what is broad about that.  Sounds good to me.  Find something that fits holding an "electronic device" that you think it's ok to drive and use?  Can you name one thing?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 07:12:34 PM »
 I don't see whats so hard about talking on the cell and driving but I've seen enough idiots on the road blabbing away completly oblivious to whats around them that they fucked it up for everyone else. Looks like  I'll have to get a hands free device for myself eventually.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 08:41:59 PM »

Wow, one of the rare occasions you and I are in agreement.
S

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 08:42:59 PM »
What about truck drives holding onto a CB Radio Microphone?  ???
S

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »
It really is a matter of safety.  I see many people's reflection in their rear view mirror and they are looking down while driving.  The same thing happens when they are holding the phone to their ear.
Squishy face retard

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 08:58:07 PM »
It really is a matter of safety.  I see many people's reflection in their rear view mirror and they are looking down while driving.  The same thing happens when they are holding the phone to their ear.

Absolutely. Most people will hold the phone in their dominant hand which leaves only one hand on the wheel,
...and if an Italian guy driving a caddy, ...that leaves only one pinkie on the wheel.  :P

With todays blue tooth technology, speakerphone capabilities on cells, there's no reason for someone to not take advantage of handsfree technologies.
w

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 09:03:28 PM »
Absolutely. Most people will hold the phone in their dominant hand which leaves only one hand on the wheel,
...and if an Italian guy driving a caddy, ...that leaves only one pinkie on the wheel.  :P

With todays blue tooth technology, speakerphone capabilities on cells, there's no reason for someone to not take advantage of handsfree technologies.
So very true, and not just of cab drivers.

I cringe hearing people in CA complain about the inconvenience.  I've had the same headset for 3 years and I think it cost me 10 bucks.  I still see people in high end cars using their hands.  You mean to tell me they can't afford the devices you mentioned?  It's funny.  My dad hates technology and rarely uses a cell phone and he even bought one in the off chance he needs to use his phone in the car.  His work cars over the years all had hands free sets with a cradle for the phone and a regular phone attached for private matters.  He always used the speaker mounted to the visor.  People complaining about these things bother me when they complain about their tickets.

It reminds me of AZ where there were traffic cams for speeding and running red lights.  The areas are well known and marked for traffic enforcement and people still complained about unfairness when ticketed.
Squishy face retard

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 09:18:47 PM »
What about truck drives holding onto a CB Radio Microphone?  ???
Or cops that use them, good point.  maybe they should list the items individually.  I know that it's become routine to see that the idiot doing something erratic on the road just happens to be talking on his cell phone I can't count the times I see some clown sitting through the turn light talking on a cell phone only to snap back into driving when honked at.  big annoyance.  Then watching them try to turn, shift and talk at the same time lol...  Now you have all these clowns trying to text and drive as if talking on the cell wasn't enough of a distraction for them.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »
LOL @ Hawaii.

you guys are so darn cute.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 09:25:23 PM »
  Now you have all these clowns trying to text and drive as if talking on the cell wasn't enough of a distraction for them.

Don't even get me started on that shit. I saw some guy doing that a few days ago. Always reaching up and typing away at every red light or in traffic and like you said they always end up 10 cars behind the other guy because they are in glued to these fucking things. I even hate the sound of the buttons getting mashed down while people texting in elevators and shit. I just wanna rip the thing ouuta their hand and stomp on it.

We managed to survive without texting every damn minute 25 years ago.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 09:29:55 PM »
Don't even get me started on that shit. I saw some guy doing that a few days ago. Always reaching up and typing away at every red light or in traffic and like you said they always end up 10 cars behind the other guy because they are in glued to these fucking things. I even hate the sound of the buttons getting mashed down while people texting in elevators and shit. I just wanna rip the thing ouuta their hand and stomp on it.

We managed to survive without texting every damn minute 25 years ago.
yup, very annoying.  Even worse for me are the people who talk on their cell phones so loud you can't possible not be drawn into their stupid conversation.  I hate waiting in line somewhere right beside some ass that's loud as hell and talking on their phone the whole time.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 09:30:42 PM »
i think you should be able to throw a handful of pennies at ANY driver who is texting in traffic.

I see 16 year old kids, mouth ajar, driving with their knees while texting away.  I get pretty pissed.  Worse than drunk drivers, who are least are trying to focus on not getting pulled over.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 09:30:46 PM »
Yup, but in CA it's illegal to talk and hold the phone.. they enforced it hardcore for about a couple weeks... now everyone is back to doing it again.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 09:31:29 PM »
yup, very annoying.  Even worse for me are the people who talk on their cell phones so loud you can't possible not be drawn into their stupid conversation.  I hate waiting in line somewhere right beside some ass that's loud as hell and talking on their phone the whole time.

or when they're on bluetooths, all hidden up in their big ugly beehive haircut.  You turn and look at them and say "excuse me?" and they look all irritated that you interrupted their call.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 09:34:19 PM »
or when they're on bluetooths, all hidden up in their big ugly beehive haircut.  You turn and look at them and say "excuse me?" and they look all irritated that you interrupted their call.
yea and they seem to talk even louder when they have the bluetooth on. There's been a few times I wanted to snatch a cell phone and smash it lol.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 09:34:29 PM »
 Worse than drunk drivers, who are least are trying to focus on not getting pulled over.

lol

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 09:42:35 PM »
Why do so many people yell when they talk on the phone?

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 09:57:01 PM »
I've been driving for 6 years now and haven't been pulled over one time.  Fuckin bastards going slow in the fast lane is what pisses me off.

Glad the fucktards ruin it for me!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
S

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »
I've been driving for 6 years now and haven't been pulled over one time.  Fuckin bastards going slow in the fast lane is what pisses me off.

Glad the fucktards ruin it for me!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

No shit.

I hate that too. People need to get the F*%&$^#* over.  >:( >:( >:(

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »

I can't tell you how many times I thought I was standing beside a crazy person who was simply talking to themselves, then breathed a huge sigh of relief when i realized they were on the phone. It's unnerving, ...especially when the conversation gets passionate. Other than that time in 1995 when I saw the crazy guy running down Queen Street in nothing but a diaper, I'm not used to seeing crazy people walking the streets muttering to themselves.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 11:41:52 AM »
what is broad about that.  Sounds good to me.  Find something that fits holding an "electronic device" that you think it's ok to drive and use?  Can you name one thing?

Doesn't matter if you're using it.  Merely holding an electronic device in your hands is a violation according to the article.  I've held my BlackBerry in my hand countless times while driving.  I only type and read while at stop lights.  There are plenty of times when I've asked my kid to put one of their scheduled sports games on my calendar, which at some point required me to hold the device in my hand.