Author Topic: Another Victory! Maine LEGALIZES GAY MARRIAGE  (Read 9177 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: ANOTHER VICTORY, Maine LEGALIZES GAY MARRIAGE!
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 11:53:53 AM »
The Maine marriage bill, like Vermont's, contains religious conscience exemptions for churches and also explicitly provides that no person for any reason (religious or not) that is allowed to perform marriages can be forced to perform a marriage they don't want to.

New Hampshire is also poised to pass a new marriage law. Like Governor Baldacci before today, New Hampshire Governor Lynch has not stated whether he would sign the bill.

Where there any problems before....most people feel that gays shouldn't marry. California did the right thing and put it to a vote, and shockingly enough, the people spoke. Let these gov's put it to a vote.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »
Not all states have ballot initiatives and most states who do have them, abhor them as there is no protection for the minority as intended by James Madison.

For instance, could you have imagined a ballot initiative in Alabama during the the 60s?  I have a feeling that African Americans would have had it even rougher than they did.

Every state has a mechanism in place to allow voters to decide the issue of homosexual marriage.  It has happened more than 30 states.  Your contention that the people actually voted in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, and Maine is simply not accurate. 

Awesomo

• Getbig III
Re: Another Victory! Maine LEGALIZES GAY MARRIAGE
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 11:56:56 AM »
What are you pro homo marriage people's thoughts on polygamy?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2009, 11:57:27 AM »
The Maine marriage bill, like Vermont's, contains religious conscience exemptions for churches and also explicitly provides that no person for any reason (religious or not) that is allowed to perform marriages can be forced to perform a marriage they don't want to.

New Hampshire is also poised to pass a new marriage law. Like Governor Baldacci before today, New Hampshire Governor Lynch has not stated whether he would sign the bill.

Where there any problems before....most people feel that gays shouldn't marry. California did the right thing and put it to a vote, and shockingly enough, the people spoke. Let these gov's put it to a vote.

That is simply NOT TRUE.  Any religious organization can reject a marriage since they are a private Institution.

What they CAN`T do is perform Marriage on Government owned property and then use that land to discriminate by only marrying Heterosexuals.  They can freely choose to marry or not to marry anyone they like in THEIR OWN church.

This is also affects the Establishment Clause of Separation of Church and State.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2009, 11:58:23 AM »

I'm pro polygamy, too.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »
Every state has a mechanism in place to allow voters to decide the issue of homosexual marriage.  It has happened more than 30 states.  Your contention that the people actually voted in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, and Maine is simply not accurate. 
No they don`t. All states DO NOT have ballot initiatives. Case in point, Vermont.

Awesomo

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »
I'm pro polygamy, too.

Fair enough. That is always my argument. I feel like if you are for gay marriage you should be for polygamy too.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »

Most people feel we should not be in Iraq or Afghanistan or that Waterboarding is Torture , yet you defend the minority view on those issues.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 12:02:49 PM »
Fair enough. That is always my argument. I feel like if you are for gay marriage you should be for polygamy too.
that argument isnt valid.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 12:04:26 PM »
LetVermontVote.org is about opening up Vermont’s political process to the citizens of Vermont. We’re concerned about activist judges and elitist legislators disenfranchising the electorate. We’re concerned that Vermont has no process for addressing the broad-based issues of the day and a Byzantine system of amending our state’s Constitution.

For example: As of April 2009 less than 400 Vermont voters have had any vote on same sex unions. That's counting our five Supreme Legislators with the Baker ruling, former Gov. Howard Dean and the General Assemblies in 2000, 2001 and 2009.

It's time to include all of Vermont's voters in the process by actually letting them vote on this issue!

Previous to April 2009, we advocated the Legislature using its powers to authorize a non-binding referendum asking voters if they affirm existing Vermont law. The question would be "Should marriage in Vermont continue to be solely between one man and one woman."

In the context of passing Vermont’s Same-Sex Marriage law, The Vermont Senate rejected a non-binding referendum with a vote of 19-11. Later the Vermont House turned the idea down 96-52. Both votes were credible showings of support for the idea of a referendum.

However, with the passage of Same-Sex Marriage in Vermont, the non-binding referendum no longer makes sense on this issue. The only other option afforded Vermont’s citizens is to call for a Constitutional Amendment to protect Traditional Marriage by putting it within the Vermont Constitution.

We will also continue to advocate for a Citizen’s Referendum process such as many other states have. But the next step is the Constitutional Amendment.

Ah.....how do u know. There are millions of people who feel we should be there, further this is foreign policy based on national security concerns, the other is a domestic/religious issue. They two aren't even close to the same. How many people supported the war when they kicked off?
L

Awesomo

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 12:04:38 PM »
that argument isnt valid.

tbombz i need you to elaborate a little more to enlighten me  ;D

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 12:06:14 PM »
i never understood how a man cant be attracted to women.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 12:06:15 PM »
LetVermontVote.org is about opening up Vermont’s political process to the citizens of Vermont. We’re concerned about activist judges and elitist legislators disenfranchising the electorate. We’re concerned that Vermont has no process for addressing the broad-based issues of the day and a Byzantine system of amending our state’s Constitution.

For example: As of April 2009 less than 400 Vermont voters have had any vote on same sex unions. That's counting our five Supreme Legislators with the Baker ruling, former Gov. Howard Dean and the General Assemblies in 2000, 2001 and 2009.

It's time to include all of Vermont's voters in the process by actually letting them vote on this issue!

Previous to April 2009, we advocated the Legislature using its powers to authorize a non-binding referendum asking voters if they affirm existing Vermont law. The question would be "Should marriage in Vermont continue to be solely between one man and one woman."

In the context of passing Vermont’s Same-Sex Marriage law, The Vermont Senate rejected a non-binding referendum with a vote of 19-11. Later the Vermont House turned the idea down 96-52. Both votes were credible showings of support for the idea of a referendum.

However, with the passage of Same-Sex Marriage in Vermont, the non-binding referendum no longer makes sense on this issue. The only other option afforded Vermont’s citizens is to call for a Constitutional Amendment to protect Traditional Marriage by putting it within the Vermont Constitution.

We will also continue to advocate for a Citizen’s Referendum process such as many other states have. But the next step is the Constitutional Amendment.

Ah.....how do u know. There are millions of people who feel we should be there, further this is foreign policy based on national security concerns, the other is a domestic/religious issue. They two aren't even close to the same. How many people supported the war when they kicked off?

What are you trying to show here?

Vermont does not have a ballot initiative as I stated.  What is your point, if any?

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 12:07:14 PM »
Not all states have ballot initiatives and most states who do have them, abhor them as there is no protection for the minority as intended by James Madison.

For instance, could you have imagined a ballot initiative in Alabama during the the 60s?  I have a feeling that African Americans would have had it even rougher than they did.

Its been on the ballot 33 times[I believe]its been destroyed 33 times.Sorry,as much as you libs cant stand it,people HATE fags.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 12:07:58 PM »
tbombz i need you to elaborate a little more to enlighten me  ;D

take a reasoning class and learn how to make valid arguments and how to see if an argument is invalid

you argument is invalid

there is absolutely no reason why some one who  supports equal marriage rights for every citizen would also have to support letting everybody marry multiple partners.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 12:08:10 PM »
Its been on the ballot 33 times[I believe]its been destroyed 33 times.Sorry,as much as you libs cant stand it,people HATE fags.
Why do they hate them? Do you hate gay people? If so, why?

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2009, 12:08:42 PM »
8)

The time for congratulating yourself will soon be at an end

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2009, 12:08:48 PM »

the problem with polygamy is that in the cultures where it is or was practiced, the women really have no say in the matter.   Does a 16 or 18 year old girl born to that polygamist mormon sect really get to choose when or who she is married to?   Polygamy was outlawed in this country because its implementation was abusive.   come up with a way to protect the rights of young women, then we can talk.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2009, 12:10:44 PM »
Yep. Pro-Polygamy here as well.  I could care less how many wives one wants.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2009, 12:10:51 PM »
What are you trying to show here?

Vermont does not have a ballot initiative as I stated.  What is your point, if any?

The people can't vote....what would happen if they did? I'll tell u...alot of people would vote no..the wack jobs in Montpelier and Burlington would vote yes, and there would be no gay marriage in Vermont. Let people vote...don't legislate on stuff like this. Gays acn do what ever the hell they want. But when they have piss contests at gay pride parades...dress in drag...and blow each other in public...thus pushing their gayness in our faces, thats when most people have a problem.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2009, 12:11:19 PM »
No they don`t. All states DO NOT have ballot initiatives. Case in point, Vermont.

Wrong again.  I said "every state has a mechanism in place to allow voters to decide the issue of homosexual marriage."  That includes Vermont, which can amend its constitution by a vote of the people.  http://www.iandrinstitute.org/New%20IRI%20Website%20Info/I&R%20Research%20and%20History/I&R%20at%20the%20Statewide%20Level/Constitution%20and%20Statutes/Vermont.pdf

You are also wrong about Massachusetts, Maine, and Iowa.  But don't let the facts get in the way.  

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2009, 12:11:39 PM »
With that said,

Polygamy has NOTHING to do with gay marriage.

Awesomo

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2009, 12:11:57 PM »
take a reasoning class and learn how to make valid arguments and how to see if an argument is invalid

you argument is invalid

there is absolutely no reason why some one who  supports equal marriage rights for every citizen would also have to support letting everybody marry multiple partners.

Letting one man marry multiple women and letting two homos get married are both variations of marriage. Currently there is a more vocal minority supporting gay marriage than there is for polygamy. There is no way to say that one variation is more correct or appropriate than the other.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »
That was my point on the last "paste" I posted. The gays know full well they'll never get this crap passed. Imagine in there was no war and a booming economy...this would be page one news all day everyday...with no hope of getting it passed. Better slip it in now.
L

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2009, 12:15:38 PM »
Letting one man marry multiple women and letting two homos get married are both variations of marriage. Currently there is a more vocal minority supporting gay marriage than there is for polygamy. There is no way to say that one variation is more correct or appropriate than the other.

they are two seperate and different variations.

homosexual marriage is more correct and appropriate......   making sure all citizens have equal rights is always the first priority.

letting only heterosexuals get civil marriage and not letting bisexual and homosexuals get civil marriage....    that is unequal and unfair treatment from the government. its discrimination and it must be stopped, if the flag is still to represent freedom and equal rights.