Author Topic: Powell: 'I am still a Republican'  (Read 4872 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Powell: 'I am still a Republican'
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 11:03:41 AM »
I thought Obama was supposed to be the most liberal Senator according to some conservative think tank (or something similar)

True.  And? 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 11:22:49 AM »
If that is the case, why did no right wing conservative do well in the primaries?  That was voting from within the own party and it was pretty much establised the majority of the party isn't down with conservative outlook anymore.

Because there was only ONE conservative running,Ron Paul.The rest were neo-cons or outright libs like Rudy and McCain.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 11:27:52 AM »
Wasn't Thompson and Huckabee the little darlings of the conservative crowds?  We see how well they did.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
Wasn't Thompson and Huckabee the little darlings of the conservative crowds?  We see how well they did.

Darlings like Carter, Mondale, Dukakis, Gore, and Kerry?  If you're trying to get an accurate view of trends, you need to look at more than one election. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »
Darlings like Carter, Mondale, Dukakis, Gore, and Kerry?  If you're trying to get an accurate view of trends, you need to look at more than one election. 

I am not even looking at an election.  I am looking at the party base primary.  Where the trend WITHIN THE OWN PARTY was to nominate something other than a conservative.  Even though conservative voters were clinging to Thompson and Huckabee.

Forget mainstream America, how do you justify the GOP itself not nominating a conservative if that is what is best?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 11:56:56 AM »
I am not even looking at an election.  I am looking at the party base primary.  Where the trend WITHIN THE OWN PARTY was to nominate something other than a conservative.  Even though conservative voters were clinging to Thompson and Huckabee.

Forget mainstream America, how do you justify the GOP itself not nominating a conservative if that is what is best?

Conservative voters weren't clinging to anyone.  No candidate ever gained momentum during the primaries.  You have poll numbers to support the contention that Thompson or Huckabee ever held leads in the primaries?   

I don't need to justify anything within the GOP or the Democrat party.  I'm only talking about trends, and how social/fiscal liberals and conservatives fare in presidential elections.   

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 12:01:54 PM »
You have poll numbers to support the contention that Thompson or Huckabee ever held leads in the primaries?   

They didn't. Which is the entire point I am making.  They never had a lead.  I never said they did.  They were always behind.   The candidates that were leading were moderate/liberal ones.  The GOP party members were not even voting for the conservative candidates they had. 

So far there hasn't been a reason given why Republicans themselves do not nominate conservative candidates within their own party.  Why? 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 12:15:07 PM »
They didn't. Which is the entire point I am making.  They never had a lead.  I never said they did.  They were always behind.   The candidates that were leading were moderate/liberal ones.  The GOP party members were not even voting for the conservative candidates they had. 

So far there hasn't been a reason given why Republicans themselves do not nominate conservative candidates within their own party.  Why? 

When in the hell was Mike Hukabee the darling of conservatives?Most conservatives dont like his politics on many social issues.Thompson could have been a player but the guy didnt campaign.His campaig never got off the ground,he entered late,then easnt heard from at all.It wasnt the views,it was the personality.

Here is what is so amusing.I hear from libs like you and 240 that republicans need to be more like democrats.They need to not oppose immigration.Well,we ran a guy who was THE GUY who proposed an amnesty bill.THE GUY WHO WROTE THE FREAKING LAW!Guess what?Hispanics still voted against him.Why?You cant attract people to the republican party pretending to be democrat light.You can attract them by beating cutting taxes and getting government smaller over and over and over again.They work very hard,tell them you will let them keep their money,you win!!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 12:18:13 PM »

First you called them darlings.  Now you say they were always behind.  Which is it? 

Again, you're looking at one election.  If you're going to ask a question about trends, you have to actually look at trends. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 12:21:25 PM »
Calling them darlings isn't the same as saying they had a lead.  Where did you get that?

The conservatives loved Huckabee and Thompson.

Again, I am not even looking at an election, I am looking at a primary.  This isn't about any so called "trend".  It is a so called fact that conservatives are in the minority of their own party today and can't even field a candidate that represents their views from their own party pool.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »
You cant attract people to the republican party pretending to be democrat light.

Then why didn't you run a better candidate.  This isn't a Dem thing.  This is 100% Republican voters.  If the Republican party didn't want to run a moderate or liberal candidate then why did McCain win the nomination?  Hmmm?

The majority of Repubs simply do NOT want a conservative right wing candidate running.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 12:32:09 PM »
Calling them darlings isn't the same as saying they had a lead.  Where did you get that?

The conservatives loved Huckabee and Thompson.

Again, I am not even looking at an election, I am looking at a primary.  This isn't about any so called "trend".  It is a so called fact that conservatives are in the minority of their own party today and can't even field a candidate that represents their views from their own party pool.

Here is what you said:

If that is the case, why did no right wing conservative do well in the primaries?  That was voting from within the own party and it was pretty much establised the majority of the party isn't down with conservative outlook anymore.

You're basing this contention on one presidential election.  I'm starting to repeat myself, but you can't draw informed conclusions based on one election.  The fact is liberals consistently lose presidential elections.  Obama is obviously an exception, but the last elected Democrat (Clinton) had to talk like a conservative on a number of fiscal and social issues to get elected. 

I have no idea why both parties don't support better candidates.  Obama was a terrible candidate IMO, as was Hillary and every other Democrat who ran.  I was not crazy about McCain or most of the Republican candidates and was surprised to see him win the nomination.  But even McCain, the nominee, was a fiscal and social conservative during the primary, at least by words.  So even if you look solely at this election your conclusion doesn't make any sense.   

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 12:35:17 PM »
Good lord.  Someone doesn't know the difference between a primary or an election.  Even when quoting two previous posts of mine where I plainly stated then I was not referencing an election.

Last time I checked, Dems and Independents didn't vote in a Republican primary. 

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 12:36:56 PM »
The fact is liberals consistently lose presidential elections. 

Why did the Republican voters nominate one to the ticket then?  DUH!! 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 12:38:33 PM »
Good lord.  Someone doesn't know the difference between a primary or an election.  Even when quoting two previous posts of mine where I plainly stated then I was not referencing an election.

Last time I checked, Dems and Independents didn't vote in a Republican primary. 

Good grief.  Someone has a myopic view of elections and appears to be unable to look past a single election cycle, but still draw long range conclusions.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
Why did the Republican voters nominate one to the ticket then?  DUH!! 

I give up.   ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »
Here is what is so amusing.I hear from libs like you and 240 that republicans need to be more like democrats.

No.  They need to be more TOLERANT of those with moderate positions.  Ridge, Powell, Crist, mccain, and others agree.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 01:26:37 PM »
Then why didn't you run a better candidate.  This isn't a Dem thing.  This is 100% Republican voters.  If the Republican party didn't want to run a moderate or liberal candidate then why did McCain win the nomination?  Hmmm?

The majority of Repubs simply do NOT want a conservative right wing candidate running.

Hmmmm,they nominated Reagan twice,they nominated Bush twice[when they thought he was a conservative]they both won.They nominated Dole and McCain,they lost.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009, 01:27:57 PM »
No.  They need to be more TOLERANT of those with moderate positions.  Ridge, Powell, Crist, mccain, and others agree.

The others that agree are democrats and liberals.NO CONSERVATIVE agrees with that.Christ Ron Paul refused to vote for McCAIN,not because he wasnt inclusive,but because he was a liberal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 02:07:39 PM »
Hmmmm,they nominated Reagan twice,they nominated Bush twice[when they thought he was a conservative]they both won.They nominated Dole and McCain,they lost.

I don't remember Reagan or Bush being on the last ticket.  Maybe you could point it out for me?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »
Good grief.  Someone has a myopic view of elections and appears to be unable to look past a single election cycle, but still draw long range conclusions.   

Perhaps if Republicans understood the difference between a primary and an election they might do better in the next one.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »
Powell supported Obama
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27265369/
You can't claim your part of a team when you actively work against them in public.

Those are facts.

Just like you can't support the steelers when you are on the cardinals and playing in the super bowl.

You may not like the defense the cardinal is using but you best talk to the coach about it and still do your job.

Otherwise quit.

He quit the party before the party quit on him.
Z

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
Powell supported Obama
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27265369/
You can't claim your part of a team when you actively work against them in public.

Those are facts.

Just like you can't support the steelers when you are on the cardinals and playing in the super bowl.

You may not like the defense the cardinal is using but you best talk to the coach about it and still do your job.

Otherwise quit.

He quit the party before the party quit on him.

I agree.  I've tried to make those points in the past.  If you're going to call yourself a Democrat, Republican, etc. there is a degree of loyalty involved, particularly if you are a high profile member of the party. 

If its change he wants he should be working with party leaders and not throwing darts in public. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 06:40:35 AM »
I don't remember Reagan or Bush being on the last ticket.  Maybe you could point it out for me?

I know your not very bright ,so I will explain it you.Try to follow.When republicans nominate conservatives THEY WIN!!!![REAGAN,BUSH].When they nominate moderates or libs THEY LOOSE[McCain,Dole].Do you understand that now?Do I need to explain it to you?When republicans forget to be conservative they fail[BUSH].When they remain conservative they are legends[ReAGAN].I hope this helps.

Powell is a lib.HES DEATH for republicans.If they follow a fool like him THEY WILL LOOSE just as McCain and Dole lost!!!

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 08:11:50 AM »
Is he? 

Powell: 'I am still a Republican'
From CNN's Steve Brusk

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Secretary of State Colin Powell struck back Sunday at critics of his decision to support Barack Obama's presidential candidacy last year.

Calling for his divided party to widen its ranks, Powell declared, "I am still a Republican."

In an appearance on CBS' Face the Nation, Powell responded to attacks from former Vice President Dick Cheney and talk show host Rush Limbaugh, saying they are "not members of the membership committee of the Republican Party."

"Rush will not get his wish, and Mr. Cheney was misinformed. I am still a Republican", he said. "I would like to point out that in the course of my 50 years of voting for presidents, I have voted for the person I thought was best qualified at that time to lead the nation. Last year, I thought it was President Barack Obama. For the previous 20 years, I voted solidly for Republican candidates."

Earlier this month on the same program, Cheney was asked about a dispute between Limbaugh and Powell over the role each plays in the GOP. "My take on it was Colin had already left the party. I didn't know he was still a Republican," Cheney responded.

Powell said Sunday that he didn't want to trade insults with Limbaugh, but that he thought it was "unfortunate" Limbaugh framed his support of Obama along racial lines.

Limbaugh, on his radio program, argued that Powell supported Obama "solely based on race."

Discussing divisions over the direction of the party in the wake of its losses in the 2006 midterm elections and 2008 presidential election, Powell said Sunday the party should expand its base.

"I have always felt that the Republican Party should be more inclusive than it generally has been over the years and I believe that we need a strong Republican Party that is not just anchored in the base but has built on the base to include more individuals. And if we don't do that, if we don't reach out more, the party is going to be sitting on a very, very narrow base," he told "Face the Nation."

Powell added, "Let's debate the future of the party and let all segments in… What we have to do is debate and define who we are and what we are, and not just listen to dictates that come down from the right wing of the party."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/24/powell-i-am-still-a-republican/
Yeah, he is. 

Colin Powell tells CBS: I am a Republican; Dick Cheney misinformed
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2009/05/colin-powell-tells-cbs-i-am-still-a-republican.html

On the other hand, we could have deduced that Powell was a republican based only on his grand deception at the UN where he laid out the case that Iraq was a comet headed for the US and that a war was the only medicine for that malady.