Author Topic: Hawaii football coach uses homosexual slur in reference to Notre Dame  (Read 7610 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Speaking of poor choice of words . . . .  The UH AD was already on the radio this morning condemning the remarks.  Gotta watch what you say when the whole country is your audience.   

Hawaii football coach uses homosexual slur in reference to Notre Dame
By Dan Hinxman • dhinxman@rgj.com • July 30, 2009

SALT LAKE CITY - Second-year Hawaii football coach Greg McMackin said Notre Dame players engaged in a "little homo dance" when describing a banquet the night before the Hawaii Bowl last December.

McMackin, speaking at the Western Athletic Conference's annual football media preview on Thursday morning, said the teams gathered the night before the game for a banquet when Irish coach Charlie Weis introduced the players and a ritual they do.

"I know most of the coaches in the country are rooting for us to beat Notre Dame," McMackin said. "Charlie gives this talk, 'We do something special at Notre Dame,' and (the players) get up and they do this little cheer ... this little homo dance."

McMackin said he felt he made a mistake by then having the Hawaii players do a Ha'a, a ritual Polynesian dance that McMackin believed made the Irish players take notice and get them to play at a higher level the following day. Notre Dame won, 49-21.

After describing the dances, McMackin asked reporters not to write about it and made a reference to Karl Benson, the WAC commissioner who was in the room.

"Don't write that 'homo' down. I was misquoted," he said. "Just please … cover for me," McMackin said Thursday. "Go ahead, say ‘homo dance.’ No. Please cover for me on that, too — right Karl? I’ll deny it. Anything else?"

About 15 minutes after McMackin left the room, he returned and added, "I want to officially, officially apologize. Please don’t write that statement I said as far as Notre Dame. The reason is, I don’t care about Notre Dame. But I’m not a … I don’t want to come out and have every homosexual ticked off at me. You know what I mean. Because I don’t have any problem with homosexuals. But I apologize for saying that and I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t run that word. If you said dance, that’s OK. But don’t use the bad term that I chose, please. Thank you."

Later this morning, McMackin had scheduled a press conference for further comment.

http://rgj.com/article/20090730/SPORTS/90730014&OAS_sitepage=news.rgj.com%2Fbreakingnews

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Sad world that we live in where he has to apologize for it.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
If he worked at my university, I would fire him!  The incoming Univ. of Hawaii president, M.R.C. (pronounced marcy) Greenwood is an out lesbian; he better watch it.  :-X

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2009/06/08/daily37.html

Other press outlets quote him as saying "... this little f a g g o t dance."  As I said in the other thread,
It’s like the Taliban or evangelicals; people are free to hold any attitudes or beliefs they want (even bigoted ones) as long as they do not act them out in ways that impact the lives and livelihoods of others.  When you try to deny equal treatment under the law to people or start flying planes into buildings based on your personal beliefs then we have a problem.

In this case, a coach at a public university using language like that needs to go.  He can easily be replaced by someone who will understand why using language like that is unacceptable. >:(

I would not be surprised if Greenwood fired him when she takes office next week.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
She can't fire him.  Only the Board of Regents can make that decision and they're not about to fire McMackin.  No way.  He's the most popular and highest paid state employee.  They got enough controversy as it is at that school.  Her tenure would be over before it started if she picked a fight with him. 

Plus people aren't crazy about her selection to begin with.  The fact she was apparently forced out of a job over alleged misconduct was discussed quite a bit.  People didn't want another mainland president.  She got the job essentially by default when the other finalist pulled his name (although he could have done so because they told him he wasn't going to be selected).  There was a call by many to reopen the entire hiring process and focus on local candidates when she became the only finalist. 

So, no way does she even think about going there and keep her job long term.   

Hereford

• Getbig V
Well, they DO do the little homo dance. The homo dance is a Notre Dame tradition.

What's the problem?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
She can't fire him.  Only the Board of Regents can make that decision and they're not about to fire McMackin.  No way.  He's the most popular and highest paid state employee.  They got enough controversy as it is at that school.  Her tenure would be over before it started if she picked a fight with him. 

Plus people aren't crazy about her selection to begin with.  The fact she was apparently forced out of a job over alleged misconduct was discussed quite a bit.  People didn't want another mainland president.  She got the job essentially by default when the other finalist pulled his name (although he could have done so because they told him he wasn't going to be selected).  There was a call by many to reopen the entire hiring process and focus on local candidates when she became the only finalist. 

So, no way does she even think about going there and keep her job long term.   

Um, no.  Coaches are hired or fired by the president—not the Board of trustees/regents/governors.  The Board hires the president and s/he has ultimate authority over all campus personnel.  If the Board does not like the decisions the president makes then they can fire him or her, but boards do not hire/fire coaches or other university personnel.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Well, they DO do the little homo dance. The homo dance is a Notre Dame tradition.

What's the problem?

Maybe he should have said fairies instead of homos?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Um, no.  Coaches are hired or fired by the president—not the Board of trustees/regents/governors.  The Board hires the president and s/he has ultimate authority over all campus personnel.  If the Board does not like the decisions the president makes then they can fire him or her, but boards do not hire/fire coaches or other university personnel.

That's not how it works here.  The president rarely gets involved with the hiring and firing of coaches.  That's the AD's job.  Even if the president were to get involved, all he or she can do is make a recommendation.  The Board of Regents actually approves the hiring/firing/salary decisions regarding head coaches.  The way it works in this system is the AD (or president) makes a recommendation, which is then voted on by the Board of Regents.     

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
they're not about to fire McMackin.  No way.  He's the most popular and highest paid state employee. 

michael vick was the most popular and probably the highest paid athlete in georgia.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
michael vick was the most popular and probably the highest paid athlete in georgia.

Vick was actually the highest paid player in the NFL.  McMackin didn't kill dogs.  Absurd comparison.   

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Hawaii football coach uses homosexual slur in reference to Notre Dame
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 03:31:02 PM »

What's the problem?

You're fired.   8)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 03:33:27 PM »
You're fired.   8)

And sued.   :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 03:35:30 PM »
Vick was actually the highest paid player in the NFL.  McMackin didn't kill dogs.  Absurd comparison.   

There are 5 million admitted homosexuals in the USA.

That's a lot of offense.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 03:48:28 PM »
There are 5 million admitted homosexuals in the USA.

That's a lot of offense.

Sorry.  That doesn't make your Vick comparison any better. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 03:53:49 PM »
Sorry.  That doesn't make your Vick comparison any better. 

but it sure did make a boring thread more interesting.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 03:54:45 PM »
but it sure did make a boring thread more interesting.

Not really.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

BayGBM

• Getbig V

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 04:15:32 PM »
me too mee too!!!

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 06:44:18 PM »
you guys are all homos.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 06:51:07 PM »
lol.  Hey there are some here who think he might get suspended. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 10:24:45 PM »
Maybe he can have a beer with Greenwood, while the NotreDame & UH football teams danced in the background?
w

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 03:39:03 AM »
Sad world that we live in where he has to apologize for it.

Agree... WTF?  ???
S

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 05:08:58 AM »
If he worked at my university, I would fire him!  The incoming Univ. of Hawaii president, M.R.C. (pronounced marcy) Greenwood is an out lesbian; he better watch it.  :-X

I tell you what the problem is.

Everybody seems to be offended these days.

Are you one of those "offended" persons?
As empty as paradise