Author Topic: The Official 2010 NBA Playoffs Thread  (Read 36373 times)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
Re: The Official 2010 NBA Playoffs Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 09:10:23 PM »
Really?  I don't think so.  I hear that a lot, but I really disagree.  He is the hardest working player in the NBA.  He adds something new to his game every year.  One year is was the Tim Duncan off the backboard shot.  Another year it was the three pointer.  Last year he worked with Hakeem to work on his low post game.  He's in the gym three hours before game time to work on his shot.  He has been playing nearly the entire season with a broken index finger on his shooting hand.  Today's players don't do that.

Plus he leads his team in assists every year from the 2 spot and is first team all NBA defense pretty much every year.  He could have played on the 80s Laker teams.   

I don't know it sounds to me like you let your personal fanaticism cloud your perception...You make it out like Kobe is the most well rounded player....yea I'm a Cleveland fan but just take the Fan aspect out of it and look at the numbers...
what are some good things to look at to determine a well rounded player?triple doubles is what I would look at first...leborn is in his 7th season and has 28 triple doubles..Kobe in what is it?his 14th season?and has 16 triple doubles..(so LBJ has been in the league half as long yet has almost twice as many triple doubles).Kobe averages 5.3 rebounds & a dismal 4.7 assists.while Lebron averages 7 rebounds & 7 assists per game respectively...Kobe's career points per game 25.3 & field goal % of 0.455..Lebons career PPG 27.8 & field goal % of 0.475....And defense?forget about it Lebron is far Superior..the numbers don't lie and I would suggest Lebron is much closer to the throw back players of yester year...

Yes yes yes....I know Kobe has the rings...but he's also had the teams...This is The cavs and Lebrons year and it will be the first of many...
DAWG

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
I don't know it sounds to me like you let your personal fanaticism cloud your perception...You make it out like Kobe is the most well rounded player....yea I'm a Cleveland fan but just take the Fan aspect out of it and look at the numbers...
what are some good things to look at to determine a well rounded player?triple doubles is what I would look at first...leborn is in his 7th season and has 28 triple doubles..Kobe in what is it?his 14th season?and has 16 triple doubles..(so LBJ has been in the league half as long yet has almost twice as many triple doubles).Kobe averages 5.3 rebounds & a dismal 4.7 assists.while Lebron averages 7 rebounds & 7 assists per game respectively...Kobe's career points per game 25.3 & field goal % of 0.455..Lebons career PPG 27.8 & field goal % of 0.475....And defense?forget about it Lebron is far Superior..the numbers don't lie and I would suggest Lebron is much closer to the throw back players of yester year...

Yes yes yes....I know Kobe has the rings...but he's also had the teams...This is The cavs and Lebrons year and it will be the first of many...
In my book   its not about Kobe (though he is the franchise), the Lakers are a team first.  They win together and lose together.
((-::

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »
In my book   its not about Kobe (though he is the franchise), the Lakers are a team first.  They win together and lose together.

theres no denying the storied franchise that is the Laker's...But we were discussing Kobe...

that being said as far as people and the teams they root for...I know plenty of guys that root for the NY Yankees the Boston Celtics and the Pittsburgh steelers..(and I live in Ohio)...now thats just sad and pathetic on so many levels...how bad does someones self esteem have to be that they pick all the most winning teams in each sport to root for....fair weather/front runner fans are the worst...
DAWG

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 03:13:15 AM »
agreed...

your lakers fan...right?

Hmmmm, last year i was cause i placed heaps of cash for them to win the western conference and they came through.

I dont really follow the NBA as much as i used to, my personal life is to hectic, but i dont find time to go on espn.com and see where everyones at.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 03:57:23 PM »
Right now until post season    the Lakers will be on my shit list! >:(
((-::

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »

If this is a Lebron vs Kobe issue. Lebron loses out considerably. And it's in the mentality. Kobe is the closest thing to Jordan mentally, today. Jordan didn't just want to beat you personally, he wanted to win the game,period. Before Kobe matured, he wanted to just beat you, damn the game. He has that coldness, the stick the dagger in your back and twist it that Lebron ultimately lacks. Stats are one thing, the mentality is another.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 10:40:18 PM »
He WAS a ball hog but no one can really say that now.    Just becasue he's the one to go to for the WINNING SHOT   does not make him a ball hog.

He was never a ball hog.  He's a 2 guard and has always been the best scorer on his team.  He's supposed to shoot the ball.  He has led his team in assists most (if not every) year as a starter.

I doubt his shots per game average is much different than Jordan.    

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 10:41:15 PM »
Than go watch the ESPN Classic with my great uncles.   But I am a modern guy...why not move fwd.   Just let go! ;)

ESPN Classic is great.  So is youtube.  I was giving my kids a youtube lesson the other day on Dr. J and a couple other legends. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 10:42:32 PM »

I called Kobe a throwback.  You said he wasn't.  I gave you some facts to establish he is a throwback.  I didn't say anything about comparing him to LeBron. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »
If this is a Lebron vs Kobe issue. Lebron loses out considerably. And it's in the mentality. Kobe is the closest thing to Jordan mentally, today. Jordan didn't just want to beat you personally, he wanted to win the game,period. Before Kobe matured, he wanted to just beat you, damn the game. He has that coldness, the stick the dagger in your back and twist it that Lebron ultimately lacks. Stats are one thing, the mentality is another.

I agree.  If we are comparing the two, LeBron has a ways to go.  He doesn't have Kobe's mental toughness.  He doesn't have Kobe's offensive game.  He's not a lockdown defender.  LeBron is a great player, but he needs a few rings before we start talking about him in the same breath with Kobe. 

Kobe took a starting lineup of Kwame Brown, Odom, Luke Walton, and Smush Parker to the playoffs.  He has also been to the Finals six times in thirteen years.   

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »
i like orlando to take it this year.

Cleveland has to be the favorite though. They are head and shoulder the best team and lebron is the best player on the planet. Dont forget anderson varejao's all-world flopping skills.

Id also like to see celtics make a run. I like to root for teams who most people will write off.
In the west i like denver. The lakers arent the defensive team they were last year. I think losing ariza hurt them a lot. Artest is not playing the defense most thought he would and hes not exactly lighting up the stat sheet either. I think level headed fans would admit the artest aquisition has been a let down.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 04:38:41 PM »
Artest has been very good.  Ariza wasn't even a starter.  If you watch the Lakers play you'll see Artest playing great defense.  He has done a fantastic job and allowed Kobe the freedom to not have to guard the opposing team's best perimeter player.  He got schooled by Manu the other day, but overall he has done very well.  

His offensive game stinks this year, but that's not why LA signed him.  

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 04:45:42 PM »
Artest has been very good.  Ariza wasn't even a starter.  If you watch the Lakers play you'll see Artest playing great defense.  He has done a fantastic job and allowed Kobe the freedom to not have to the guard the opposing team's best perimeter player.  He got schooled by Manu the other day, but overall he has done very well. 

is artest mentally ready for the finals if the lakers go that far.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2010, 04:49:35 PM »
is artest mentally ready for the finals if the lakers go that far.

Yeah I think so.  He has really behaved himself.  He's a changed man.  Knows is role.  He's still not quite comfortable in the triangle, but he's solid on the defensive end.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
Yeah I think so.  He has really behaved himself.  He's a changed man.  Knows is role.  He's still not quite comfortable in the triangle, but he's solid on the defensive end.

ok, lakers had a so-so reg season, lets see if they can switch it on, there 5-5 in there last 10 games, jordan will never let that happen.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 05:08:41 PM »
ok, lakers had a so-so reg season, lets see if they can switch it on, there 5-5 in there last 10 games, jordan will never let that happen.

You know what's funny?  I think they had a pretty average year too, but they still have the second best record the NBA and the best record in the Western Conference (which is miles ahead of the East). 

I don't like the way they have been cruising, and that could bite them in the playoffs, but I still think they're the team to beat. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »
Artest has been very good.  Ariza wasn't even a starter.  If you watch the Lakers play you'll see Artest playing great defense.  He has done a fantastic job and allowed Kobe the freedom to not have to guard the opposing team's best perimeter player.  He got schooled by Manu the other day, but overall he has done very well. 

artest has been playing great defense ?!?!

I guess we watch basketball through a different lens.

Ariza not being a starter is irrelevent..as evidenced by that fat contract he just signed. He played 31 minutes per game in the lakers championship run. Shot 47.6 from three. 49.7 from the field, while guarding the other teams best perimeter player. And the lakers were too stingy to give ariza a contract he deserved and theyll suffer from it this year.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »
artest has been playing great defense ?!?!

I guess we watch basketball through a different lens.

Ariza not being a starter is irrelevent..as evidenced by that fat contract he just signed. He played 31 minutes per game in the lakers championship run. Shot 47.6 from three. 49.7 from the field, while guarding the other teams best perimeter player. And the lakers were too stingy to give ariza a contract he deserved and theyll suffer from it this year.

Yes, we must be seeing different things.  I can't speak on a lot of players, but I do watch almost every televised Laker game.  What I see night in and night from Artest is great D.  Ariza is quicker, but Artest can guard the perimeter and the low post.  I bet they average about the same number of steals.     

Yes Ariza played very well during the latter part of the playoff run, but he was still a role player.  I'm not even sure he averaged double figures. 

You're mistaken about Ariza's contract.  The Lakers offered him the exact same contract they offered Artest and Ariza signed with Houston for the same money the Lakers had on the table.  It was a boneheaded decision by Ariza and his agent to try and demand more money. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 05:40:40 PM »
Yes, we must be seeing different things.  I can't speak on a lot of players, but I do watch almost every televised Laker game.  What I see night in and night from Artest is great D.  Ariza is quicker, but Artest can guard the perimeter and the low post.  I bet they average about the same number of steals.     

Yes Ariza played very well during the latter part of the playoff run, but he was still a role player.  I'm not even sure he averaged double figures. 

You're mistaken about Ariza's contract.  The Lakers offered him the exact same contract they offered Artest and Ariza signed with Houston for the same money the Lakers had on the table.  It was a boneheaded decision by Ariza and his agent to try and demand more money. 

I never said anything about the contract or that houston gave ariza more.... I said the lakers didnt want to offer him the money he deserved, and he certainly deserved more than artest.

also where are you getting that ariza wasnt a starter? He started every game in the finals. Are you saying because he wasnt a starter in the regular season that his loss doesnt hurt the lakers? Ill go ahead and disagree.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »
I never said anything about the contract or that houston gave ariza more.... I said the lakers didnt want to offer him the money he deserved, and he certainly deserved more than artest.

also where are you getting that ariza wasnt a starter? He started every game in the finals. Are you saying because he wasnt a starter in the regular season that his loss doesnt hurt the lakers? Ill go ahead and disagree.

You're losing me.  Houston signed Ariza for the same money the Lakers offered.  Ariza overestimated his value.  He was worth exactly what the Lakers offered, which is what they then gave to Artest.  If Ariza was worth more, some other team would have paid him.   

I'm getting he wasn't a starter because I watched almost every game and he came off the bench during the regular season and most of the playoffs.  His loss hasn't hurt the Lakers because Artest has been a good replacement and played more minutes. 

LA finished with the second best record in the NBA and best record in the West last year with Ariza.  Did the same thing with Artest this year.  They don't look as good this year to me, but that has nothing to do with losing Ariza IMO. 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2010, 06:03:01 PM »
You're losing me.  Houston signed Ariza for the same money the Lakers offered.  Ariza overestimated his value.  He was worth exactly what the Lakers offered, which is what they then gave to Artest.  If Ariza was worth more, some other team would have paid him.    

I'm getting he wasn't a starter because I watched almost every game and he came off the bench during the regular season and most of the playoffs.  His loss hasn't hurt the Lakers because Artest has been a good replacement and played more minutes.  

LA finished with the second best record in the NBA and best record in the West last year with Ariza.  Did the same thing with Artest this year.  They don't look as good this year to me, but that has nothing to do with losing Ariza IMO.  

So your arguent is that because the lakers offered the same as houston thats what his worth was? Thats just plain wrong.

He was absolutely worth more. Lets say for the sake of argument that artest has been a good replacement and he does everything ariza did. (which is wrong.) What is the difference? artest is 31 and ariza is 24. Ariza has so much more potential left. Thats why ariza and his "camp" were upset.

Ariza was worth more plain and simple. He expected the lakers to offer more than houston and they didnt. He had every right to want more and he should have. The fact that houston paid him the same has no releveance really. He pretty much signed with houston because he was pissed off. We'll see who can fill ariza's shoes this year in the playoffs.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2010, 06:15:07 PM »

So your arguent is that because the lakers offered the same as houston thats what his worth was? Thats just plain wrong.

He was absolutely worth more. Lets say for the sake of argument that artest has been a good replacement and he does everything ariza did. (which is wrong.) What is the difference? artest is 31 and ariza is 24. Ariza has so much more potential left. Thats why ariza and his "camp" were upset.

Ariza was worth more plain and simple. He expected the lakers to offer more than houston and they didnt. He had every right to want more and he should have. The fact that houston paid him the same has no releveance really. He pretty much signed with houston because he was pissed off. We'll see who can fill ariza's shoes this year in the playoffs.

That's not how you determine what a player is worth.  The market dictates worth.  No other team in the NBA was willing or able to pay Ariza more than what both LA and Houston offered.  You're saying the Lakers should have overpaid Ariza simply because he believed he was worth more than his market value.  That's just plain wrong. 

He signed with Houston because that was the best offer he could get when LA signed Artest.  They only signed Artest after making the same offer to Ariza. 

Ariza rejected a deal from the Lakers and then signed with Houston for the same amount of money, to play for a far worse team.  Now that was dumb. 

But we'll see what happens in the playoffs.  I could be wrong, but I'll be very surprised if LA loses because of Artest (or the loss of Ariza). 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2010, 03:44:55 PM »
BB, man the lakers need something quick, there not slumping there downright awful, I think artest has not helped as much as one would think he would.

Spurs may upset the lakers in the first round

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »
lakers, cavs, magic

the rest have no chance of winning an nba title

only 4 teams from each conference should make the playoffs, the rest is to collect money from people that like to throw their money away

E
E

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2010, 07:39:44 PM »
lakers, cavs, magic

the rest have no chance of winning an nba title

only 4 teams from each conference should make the playoffs, the rest is to collect money from people that like to throw their money away

E

if the Cavs have 2 more players playing very good, then its a lock, lebron will be lebron, but if the role players can get offensive rebounds and make open shots then its a wrap...now lets wait for beach bum to disagree with me  :D