Author Topic: Obama Approval down to 42% (Still way too high)  (Read 2935 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Obama Approval down to 42% (Still way too high)
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 08:07:11 AM »
damn youre a negative person dude.  Do you talk to others around you like that as well?  i also didn't know we were turning the approval thread into a '911 missile theory' thread.

um okay.
actually im a very positive person but i have no patience for ignorance...

so why hasnt the nat enq come foreward with their proof 240? she has denied it and they have been threatened with a law suit...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 08:19:18 AM »
I said "Of course not".  Then I offered what he SHOULD have done.

I mean, did you want something more than that?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 08:26:13 AM »
so why hasnt the nat enq come foreward with their proof 240? she has denied it and they have been threatened with a law suit...
bump bump biggity bump

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »
she hasn't sued them.  She put out a press release against an outrageous claim by then - why didn't she sue?

Why didn't she sue, tony?

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 08:33:29 AM »
http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/75161/the-rasmussen-problem

Daniel Foster at National Review trumpets a decline in President Obama's approval ratings:

Obama Approval Index Hits New Low

Rasmussen has Obama's approval index — strong disapproval subtracted from strong approval — at -20, its lowest point to date. Obama's overall approval/disapproval split stands 42/56, dragged down by poor grades on the economy and the handling of the BP oil spill.
Are Obama's approval ratings falling? Well, yes, according to Rasmussen. No, according to everybody else

Rasmussen polling occupies an odd place in the political culture. In the conservative world, it is the gold standard. If you go to a conservative set on basically any random day, you'll see somebody touting a Rasmussen poll. Here is John McCormack at the Weekly Standard touting a poll showing huge support to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Here is Peter Wehner at Commentary doing the same. Rasmussen frequently asks unusual polling questions that produce results almost certainly calculated to demonstrate public support for the conservative position. (Here's one example of a loaded Rasmussen question.) Rasmussen has become a right-wing celebrity. He's the author of a conservative book. This fall he is a featured guest on National Review's cruise, along with other conservative luminaries.

Part of Rasmussen's celebrity status derives from the fact that even his polls on commonly-asked questions skew strongly toward the conservative position. Here, for instance, is Nate Silver's depiction of Rasmussen's measure of party identification:

Rasmussen's role in the public debate is problematic for several reasons. It's not altogether clear what causes him to consistently project results so much at odds with those of the rest of the polling community. But if there is something problematic about his methods, he has little incentive to correct it, because Rasmussen's business model increasingly relies upon maintaining the loyalty of staunch Republicans.

Now, to be perfectly clear about this, it's possible that Rasmussen is right and everybody else is wrong. The safest approach to using polling data is to include all results. The trouble is that Rasmussen can have such large outliers, and it polls so often, that the very inclusion of Rasmussen changes the results. The graph near the top of this item, showing level public approval for Obama, would show a steep dip if it included Rasmussen's findings, the latest of which has Obama sporting a disastrous 42/56 approval rating.

But the more problematic dynamic is Rasmussen's symbiotic relationship with the conservative base. The habitual practice by conservative pundits of quoting only Rasmussen polling reinforces conservatives' overweening certainty that they embody public opinion. It's an important component of right-wing epistemic closure, the Republican base having its own pollster who always tells them what they want to hear. In theory, there ought to be a corrective dynamic. If Rasmussen is wrong about the 2010 elections -- and, again, you can't be certain he will be -- in theory, this would cause Republicans to question their reliance upon his unusual findings. But it's entirely possible that Republicans would simply question the validity of the results themselves. It's massive voter fraud! Obama dirty tricks! Having heard on a daily basis that the American public had rejected the Democrats wholeheartedly, disbelieving the validity of the election results would create less cognitive dissonance.

Of course, one solution would be for the conservative pundits who relentlessly cite Rasmussen's findings to inform their readers that those findings, while not necessarily wrong, represent an outlier among pollsters. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

"What we do in life ECHOES in eternity "

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 08:40:03 AM »
Go to RCP Danny:  obama is simply losing popularity daily, and for good reason.  His agenda, his appointments, his policies, etc SUCK!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 08:40:54 AM »
she hasn't sued them.  She put out a press release against an outrageous claim by then - why didn't she sue?

Why didn't she sue, tony?
B/C THEY DROPPED IT...you know why they dropped it?  ;)

also do you know what is involved in suing for libel or slander as a public figure?

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 08:42:19 AM »
http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/75161/the-rasmussen-problem

Daniel Foster at National Review trumpets a decline in President Obama's approval ratings:

Obama Approval Index Hits New Low

Rasmussen has Obama's approval index — strong disapproval subtracted from strong approval — at -20, its lowest point to date. Obama's overall approval/disapproval split stands 42/56, dragged down by poor grades on the economy and the handling of the BP oil spill.
Are Obama's approval ratings falling? Well, yes, according to Rasmussen. No, according to everybody else

Rasmussen polling occupies an odd place in the political culture. In the conservative world, it is the gold standard. If you go to a conservative set on basically any random day, you'll see somebody touting a Rasmussen poll. Here is John McCormack at the Weekly Standard touting a poll showing huge support to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Here is Peter Wehner at Commentary doing the same. Rasmussen frequently asks unusual polling questions that produce results almost certainly calculated to demonstrate public support for the conservative position. (Here's one example of a loaded Rasmussen question.) Rasmussen has become a right-wing celebrity. He's the author of a conservative book. This fall he is a featured guest on National Review's cruise, along with other conservative luminaries.

Part of Rasmussen's celebrity status derives from the fact that even his polls on commonly-asked questions skew strongly toward the conservative position. Here, for instance, is Nate Silver's depiction of Rasmussen's measure of party identification:

Rasmussen's role in the public debate is problematic for several reasons. It's not altogether clear what causes him to consistently project results so much at odds with those of the rest of the polling community. But if there is something problematic about his methods, he has little incentive to correct it, because Rasmussen's business model increasingly relies upon maintaining the loyalty of staunch Republicans.

Now, to be perfectly clear about this, it's possible that Rasmussen is right and everybody else is wrong. The safest approach to using polling data is to include all results. The trouble is that Rasmussen can have such large outliers, and it polls so often, that the very inclusion of Rasmussen changes the results. The graph near the top of this item, showing level public approval for Obama, would show a steep dip if it included Rasmussen's findings, the latest of which has Obama sporting a disastrous 42/56 approval rating.

But the more problematic dynamic is Rasmussen's symbiotic relationship with the conservative base. The habitual practice by conservative pundits of quoting only Rasmussen polling reinforces conservatives' overweening certainty that they embody public opinion. It's an important component of right-wing epistemic closure, the Republican base having its own pollster who always tells them what they want to hear. In theory, there ought to be a corrective dynamic. If Rasmussen is wrong about the 2010 elections -- and, again, you can't be certain he will be -- in theory, this would cause Republicans to question their reliance upon his unusual findings. But it's entirely possible that Republicans would simply question the validity of the results themselves. It's massive voter fraud! Obama dirty tricks! Having heard on a daily basis that the American public had rejected the Democrats wholeheartedly, disbelieving the validity of the election results would create less cognitive dissonance.

Of course, one solution would be for the conservative pundits who relentlessly cite Rasmussen's findings to inform their readers that those findings, while not necessarily wrong, represent an outlier among pollsters. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

I wonder when Newsweek will inform their readers the same thing?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
I worked for years in grocery stores and unfortunately, the NE was always in the break room to read.  They're not "The sun" and bat Boy, etc.  When it comes to affairs, they are pretty darn accurate.  When challenged (which is rare), their following issue releases all the juicy details and pics.  Some people, like Gifford, were dumb enough to deny the NE's accusations.  At that point, they released all the pics. 

So if I had to bet the rent check, I'd say they were pretty accurate with the Palin story.  Have you guys read it?  Divorce records, scorned ex's, etc... it would have been pretty damaging to Palin, which is why (despite the fact she was constantly calling out journalists, bloggers, and threatening to sue them at the time), she was VERY quiet on the national enquirer article.

Remember - her legal team was attacking alaskan blogger - even outting one of them who was a kindergarten teacher, threatening all sorts of things.  I mean, she was going after them like no politician does.  yet she stays quiet on the NE article?

Well, tony, you introduced NE into this debate out of nowhere.  So I'd like to hear your opinion.  Why would Palin's team go after individual bloggers with threats of lawsuit, but completely ignore the Enquirer's claims?
come on 240 its obvious she has challenged them so why havent they come out with their proof?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 08:53:20 AM »
Hey, I'm not a lawyer.  We can let the legal minds here tell us why Palin hasn't sued as promised.  Or you can email her at Palin@ruiningGOP2012chances.com and ask her.

Does anyone know why this is the case?

What does Rass know that everyone else does not?  And does their president's past relationship as a paid GOP advisor have anything to do with it?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »
Hey, I'm not a lawyer.  We can let the legal minds here tell us why Palin hasn't sued as promised.  Or you can email her at Palin@ruiningGOP2012chances.com and ask her.
you most certainly are not a lawyer, you most certainly are not straight foreward either

you said that when challenged the nat enq's next issue has all the juicy details...

where they challenged by palin?
yes

did the next issue contain the juicy details?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

guess there waiting for her 2012 run to really lay into her huh? diabolical those ppl at nat enq are  ;)

James

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 09:18:29 AM »
Didn't the National Enquirer also run stories about Obama cheating on his wife ?

Why did 240 never post a thread on this, like he did about Sarah Palin ?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »
Didn't the National Enquirer also run stories about Obama cheating on his wife ?

Why did 240 never post a thread on this, like he did about Sarah Palin ?
BWHAHAHAUAHHAHAHHHAHAHHHA speak to this 240...

http://coverawards.com/2008/04/23/barack-obamas-marriage-explodes-according-to-national-enquirer/
His wife Michelle is “confronting him over cheating.”

When it comes to affairs, they are pretty darn accurate.  

LMFAO was the nat enq accurate on these accusations too?  :) ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D :)

how come we didnt see any of these threads during the election from you 240?

James

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 09:37:46 AM »
Well 240... Why did you never post about this ?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »
Do you remember my original reply to the obama accusation?

please look it up.  Please.  What is the date of that?  33 showed it and I was the first to pipe in with "He probably did it".

james - I did post about this.  I'm very consistent with my defense of the NE affair stories.  I was very vocal about the Edwards one as well - when Coulter went on hardball *(9 months before FOX mentioned it).  I was the first one to post on getbig "Edwards affair accusation" a full 9 months before FOX talked about it.

So yea, I am more consistent than you think.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »
Do you remember my original reply to the obama accusation?

please look it up.  Please.  What is the date of that?  33 showed it and I was the first to pipe in with "He probably did it".

james - I did post about this.  I'm very consistent with my defense of the NE affair stories.  I was very vocal about the Edwards one as well - when Coulter went on hardball *(9 months before FOX mentioned it).  I was the first one to post on getbig "Edwards affair accusation" a full 9 months before FOX talked about it.

So yea, I am more consistent than you think.
LOL i have never not once seen you comment on this...please post your quote

Ive also never seen you start any threads to this end, how many palin threads did you start about her cheating and nat enq bs?

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 10:32:22 AM »
Go to RCP Danny:  obama is simply losing popularity daily, and for good reason.  His agenda, his appointments, his policies, etc SUCK!

That might be true at some extent and normal, I might add, however the one thing I don't understand is why some the guys here tend to believe ONLY Rasmussen when it comes to polling when it is clearly established they have a little bit of a tendency to embellish their polling results in a certain direction to say it nicely?  So Rasmussen is good , Fox is the Bible ,never wrong, Rush is God on the radio ....doesn't that make people that follow this trend religiously a little narrow minded and confines them to a limited source of information, basically a unilateral point of view??
"What we do in life ECHOES in eternity "

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2010, 10:38:58 AM »
Wasn't there an article by the Enquirer (or some other tabloid) about Obama being gay?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2010, 10:52:50 AM »

It was beach bum I think, then 333386 in a merged thread, that posted this.

I was very vocal on it.  You can doubt it if you want.  I tried the 'search' function, but it didn't work.  believe me or not.  Ask 33 if you'd like.  Or when search works, we can bump their thread.  I was all over obama on it.

Seriously, I think yall often have a one-sided view of what I post.  I'm very happy to admit when Dems are POS or when they are probably guilty on something.  it's because I hated on that 2008 POS ticket yall ran, you label me a lib.  Anyone with a brain here knows I'll be supporting Thune in 2012 (but not palin) not because I'm a lib, but because Palin is not presidential material IMO. 

So yeah, I was all over obama for it.  Don't just say "you never said..." if you missed that initial thread here.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=298874.0

OH!!

The claim was Obama was just a ho, not gay. I see!!!

BTW, 333386, that Lewinsky pin was just plain WRONG!!!!

;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2010, 12:21:30 PM »

It's too early to read thru it all, so I don't know what they're claiming.  However, I will say - if they're claiming an affir with evidence, it's probably true.  From an obama kneepadding lib like myself - the Enquirer knows this will hand Hilary the 2012 nomination.

Almost a month ago, i said it's probably true.  You have the quote now.  So please, guys, stop just assuming I defend everything Obama says or does.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2010, 12:47:49 PM »
240 - how does it feel being the center of attention all the time?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »
???  Well, for some reason it's always "here is an article about Obama... why no comment 240?"

I mean, when I post a story, I post a story.  If another member wants to talk about it, he/she will.  I don't understand people having to hear what I think.  I'm just another uninformed d-bag like the rest of you :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »
240 - I think your slippery nature invites the attention you get.