Author Topic: What do religious people think they are doing when they pray?  (Read 48762 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: What do religious people think they are doing when they pray?
« Reply #275 on: October 02, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
What is good? Everything that heightens the feeling of power in man, the will to power, power itself.
What is bad? Everything that is born of weakness.
What is happiness? The feeling that power is growing, that resistance is overcome.
Not contentedness but more power; not peace but war, not virtue, but fitness.
The weak and failures shall perish: first principle of our love of man. And they shall even be given every possible assistance.
What is more harmful than any vice? Active pity for all the failuires and all the weak: christianity. nietzsche!
Nietzsche again.....cool.

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #276 on: October 02, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »

And we know how he ended up....or did God punish him?  HA!

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #277 on: October 02, 2010, 07:16:25 PM »
Let's provide a different twist to this

for those that don't believe in God: What would it take in order for you to believe in God? The historical proof that a man named jesus existed? The end of times (or would u think u were crazy if u saw horses come out of the sky)?

for those that believe in God: What would it take in order for you not to believe in God? Historical proof that jesus didn't exist? Or would you just think the records were wrong,

If there are no arguments that will change your point of view. Then why argue and debate?

I don't think once you truly believe like I do your mind can be changed. We join God after our death. If he does not exist then I just rot in the ground. No big deal. i won't know about it.

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #278 on: October 02, 2010, 07:42:22 PM »
Just spreadin the word of rationality. Nothing more, nothing less.

Fallsview

• Getbig V
  • Mr. Gulf Coast 1994,95,99
« Reply #279 on: October 02, 2010, 08:15:45 PM »
Why can't everyone figure out we arrived on the scene broke already!  People throw that word Karma around but have no clue what it entales.  Hate to brake the news to you all but you're all coming back!

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #280 on: October 03, 2010, 12:18:19 AM »
Nothing in life has meaning of itself. Only if you give it meaning, it has. For you. Same goes for worshipping Jesus. to you it may be meaningful, to me it's nothing, meaningless.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: October 03, 2010, 08:33:27 AM »
Just spreadin the word of rationality. Nothing more, nothing less.

I see what you did here!!  You took my post and exchanged my words for your rationality phrase thereby adding a touch of mocking......clever!!

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #282 on: October 03, 2010, 08:34:48 AM »
Nothing in life has meaning of itself. Only if you give it meaning, it has. For you. Same goes for worshipping Jesus. to you it may be meaningful, to me it's nothing, meaningless.

That's the great thing about Christ, whether or not you assign meaning to him he always has love for you and wants you to have a personal relationship with him.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #283 on: October 03, 2010, 09:39:47 AM »
Nietzsche got beat up by little girls.
G

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #284 on: October 03, 2010, 10:33:55 AM »
That's the great thing about Christ, whether or not you assign meaning to him he always has love for you and wants you to have a personal relationship with him.

says who?
DAWG

Man of Steel

• Getbig V

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #286 on: October 03, 2010, 11:11:52 AM »
Christ

By the look of you, you could crush your wife in one hand.... :o
I hate the State.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: October 03, 2010, 11:18:02 AM »
By the look of you, you could crush your wife in one hand.... :o

At the present I'm rehabing my torn up leg so she could take me.    In the pics I've posted she wouldn't stand a chance.   ;)

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #288 on: October 03, 2010, 11:22:45 AM »
Nietzsche got beat up by little girls.
As long as he's not raping them he's okay in my book.

Beautiful wife man of steel, i see why you're praising god now  ;D

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #289 on: October 03, 2010, 11:32:06 AM »
Christ

uh huh...did you hear him say this?
DAWG

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #290 on: October 03, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »
As long as he's not raping them he's okay in my book.

Beautiful wife man of steel, i see why you're praising god now  ;D

I appreciate that....kind of you to say.  I am very fortunate she likes fat, ugly guys that resemble Shrek.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #291 on: October 03, 2010, 11:39:07 AM »
uh huh...did you hear him say this?

Yes, he came to me in the form of Pee-Wee Herman and was holding the head of monkey that only spoke Chinese.  Granted I had just sniffed a ton of glue and was tripping on acid at the time........spare me your leading posts.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #292 on: October 03, 2010, 07:02:34 PM »
 8)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2010, 04:13:51 AM »
Yes, he came to me in the form of Pee-Wee Herman and was holding the head of monkey that only spoke Chinese.  Granted I had just sniffed a ton of glue and was tripping on acid at the time........spare me your leading posts.

so no...gotcha..
DAWG

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #295 on: October 04, 2010, 05:02:43 AM »
I'll just leave this here.

It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be waiting for us in our graves - or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth

From the smallest necessity to the highest religious abstraction, from the wheel to the skyscraper, everything we are and everything we have comes from one attribute of man - the function of his reasoning mind.

Ayn Rand

And some people wonder why I've stated that atheism is simply man worshipping himself.

Plus, heaven promises no more suffering or death. This is something man simply cannot provide on this planet.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #296 on: October 04, 2010, 05:04:55 AM »
If you want to read real scholarship, read the following:

The Case Against The Case For Christ: A New Testament Scholar Refutes the Reverend Lee Strobel American Atheist Press. ISBN 1-57884-005-8 (15 Feb 2010)

The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man: How Reliable is the Gospel Tradition? Prometheus Books. ISBN 1-59102-121-9. (20 Dec 2003)

The Jesus Puzzle: Did Christianity Begin with a Mythical Christ?. Ottawa: Age of Reason Publications. 2005 [1999]. ISBN 0-9689259-1-X.

Welcome back!!!

Is it my imagination, or do you only appear during (American) football season?  ;D

Plus, it appears I missed the memo, that authorized you to determine what is "real" scholarship and what ain't. What about books by the late Dr. D. James Kennedy, who had 9 advanced degrees and was deemed one of the Most Outstanding Intellectuals of the 20th Century? Do his works count?

He also hosted the show, "Who Is This Jesus? Is He Risen?" which usually airs (and I usually bump here) during the week of Resurrection Sunday (bka Easter).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2010, 05:13:52 AM »
I have no doubts you believe he's real but alas it doesn't make it so. I'm just saying it's hard historically to prove he was and everything in the new testament is taken second hand NONE of it was written by Jesus himself and it was written a long time after he died , it's really asking a lot for people to believe

Hard historically? I beg to differ.

Actually, the life of Jesus is recorded in whole or in part, different segments, in about 20 different non-Christian sources--historically or archaeologically--outside the New Testament. And most of these are little snippets--a sentence here, a paragraph there--but you put them all together, and you get approximately 60 to 65 facts, concerning the life, death, resurrection of Jesus Christ and the teaching of the earliest church. You can get an outline of His life and NEVER touch the New Testament." - Dr. Gary Habermas, "The Historical Jesus" (and "Who Is This Jesus? Is He Risen?")

Plus, most of what we know about many ancient historical figures comes from "second hand" sources. Take Alexander the Great. The bulk of data on him comes from the ancient historian, Arrian, whose account was about two centuries after Alex died.

There are a number of late 1st/early 2nd-century accounts regarding Jesus Christ, which are closer to his lifetime than are other sources closer to the figures whom they depict. If you throw out "second hand" sources, you throw out about 90% of ancient history altogether.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2010, 06:27:33 AM »
And some people wonder why I've stated that atheism is simply man worshipping himself.

Plus, heaven promises no more suffering or death. This is something man simply cannot provide on this planet.

Which in no way whatsoever makes that promise true.
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2010, 06:30:43 AM »
Which in no way whatsoever makes that promise true.

Rand's comments claim that man should strive for heaven on earth. One of heaven's "advertisements" (for lack of a better term) is the END OF SICKNESS AND DEATH. Since man CANNOT deliver on that promise, his attempt to replicate heaven on earth is a miserable failure.