Author Topic: NPC Men's Physique - Rules & Guidelines  (Read 12380 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
NPC Men's Physique - Rules & Guidelines
« on: November 04, 2010, 08:38:28 AM »
Men’s Physique Division

Beginning in 2011 a new division for men will be introduced – Men’s Physique. The following are the guidelines/rules.

Judging Criteria:

* Muscularity and Body Condition: Judges will be looking for fit contestants who display proper shape and symmetry combined with muscularity and overall condition. This is not a bodybuilding contest so extreme muscularity should be marked down.

* Stage Presence and Personality: Contestants will be asked to walk in board shorts (shorts must be just above the knee in length and can be one inch below the belly button, no spandex and no logos are permitted on the board shorts however a manufacturer’s logo such as Nike symbol or Billabong are acceptable. Competitors will enter the stage without a shirt and barefoot. No lewd acts are allowed. Example: The moon pose. Judges are looking for the contestant with the best stage presence and poise who can successfully convey his personality to the audience.

COMPETITION JUDGING

Presentation:

* Competitors will walk to the center of the stage alone and perform quarter (1/4) turns with optional pose of hand on hip or hand in pocket, face the judges as directed then proceed to the side of the stage.

Comparison Round:

* The competitors will be brought back out in a group and directed to do quarter turns

* Judges will have the opportunity to compare competitors against each other in quarter turns.

Promoters can choose to have one class or two. For contests with two classes:

* Up to including 5’8”

* Over 5’8”

National level contests do not permit competitors to crossover into Bodybuilding. All other competitions are permitted to have crossovers at the discretion of the promoter with district chairperson’s approval.

Who Qualifies for National Level Men’s Physique Competitions:

Competitors that place in the top five (5) in each class at national qualifying contests will have a one year qualification for national level events.

Note: For 2011 a place in the top five (5) of any Men’s Physique contest will qualify you for national level contests.

QUALIFYING FOR IFBB PROFESSIONAL STATUS:

* NPC JUNIOR USA CHAMPIONSHIPS – Top 2 placers in the overall comparison earn IFBB Pro Card
* NPC JUNIOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – Top 4 placers in the overall comparison earn IFBB Pro Card
* TEAM UNIVERSE – Height class winners earn IFBB Pro Card
* NPC USA CHAMPIONSHIPS – Height class winners earn IFBB Pro Card
* IFBB NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIPS – Top 2 placers in the overall comparison earn IFBB Pro Card
* NPC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – Height class winners earn IFBB Pro Card

Smanjh

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: NPC Men's Physique - Rules & Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 08:43:21 AM »
Good god. This will probably take off in all honesty, you have a better shot of having the next Arnold like person coming from this division than the BBing one for sure these days.

But it fucking sucks that they allowed the men's BBing to become such a sideshow that they have to do this.

However it may not work out at all unless it was its own event without association to the real contests.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »
"This is not a bodybuilding contest so extreme muscularity should be marked down."

Huh?  So if you come to this show without enough muscle you lose, but if you come with too much muscle you also lose?  Can you give us an example of someone who would win this contest?  Is Bill Davey too muscled or not muscled enough?  Can one win this contest without steroids or are contestants expected to juice--just not juice too much?  ???

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:13:23 AM »
Good god. This will probably take off in all honesty, you have a better shot of having the next Arnold like person coming from this division than the BBing one for sure these days.

But it fucking sucks that they allowed the men's BBing to become such a sideshow that they have to do this.

However it may not work out at all unless it was its own event without association to the real contests.

I have said it from the start.  If they want a fit physique contest at the expo as an extra fun thing , fine. Giving it pro card status is silly. After some reflection, I am not letting it drive me away from attending contests. I am done with judging in the NPC, but I may still compete as a bodybuilder.

I  would never be rude to any guys in the male fitness division, at a contest. I simply have NO interest in seeing it or judging it, etc.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »
You guys haven't figured it out yet have you?

Based on what Ron's saying, they want things to work more or less like this:

"1"

P.S.  The crowd will also be like what you see in that video..

Schmoe Buster

• Getbig V
  • Unnatural Bodybuilder
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:40:36 AM »
Mike The Situation will be a shoe in for a IFBB pro card ::)
Thunderdome approved

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 10:45:16 AM »
Musclemania and other orgs have similar categories, but they call it Model.  Why the confusing name of Physique?

on the women's side, the categories are generally called Physique, Figure (sometimes called Body Fitness in Europe), Fitness, Bikini, and Model Search.

on the men's side, esp outside the US, there is Bodybuilding, Classic Bodybuilding, Fitness, and Model.

so, now Women's Physique is the hardcore roided out bodybuilding.  and Men's Physique is for fitness models.

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 12:48:29 PM »
Yeah I am very curious what is "to much" for a division like this. Doing something like this says that it wants to deviate from the "user" look but I suspect the winners will still be "using" just not in large amounts.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 01:01:45 PM »
I predict a lack of thigh development.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 01:07:39 PM »
Why is the American public so afraid of the male body. Women in a similar contest are wearing thongs!

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 01:37:42 PM »
Musclemania and other orgs have similar categories, but they call it Model.  Why the confusing name of Physique?

on the women's side, the categories are generally called Physique, Figure (sometimes called Body Fitness in Europe), Fitness, Bikini, and Model Search.

on the men's side, esp outside the US, there is Bodybuilding, Classic Bodybuilding, Fitness, and Model.

so, now Women's Physique is the hardcore roided out bodybuilding.  and Men's Physique is for fitness models.

Where did you get that idea?

WPD is everythuing BUT, hardcore roided out bodybuilding....

Try and keep up

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 02:16:25 PM »
Men’s Physique Division

Beginning in 2011 a new division for men will be introduced – Men’s Physique. The following are the guidelines/rules.

Judging Criteria:

* Muscularity and Body Condition: Judges will be looking for fit contestants who display proper shape and symmetry combined with muscularity and overall condition. This is not a bodybuilding contest so extreme muscularity should be marked down.

* Stage Presence and Personality: Contestants will be asked to walk in board shorts (shorts must be just above the knee in length and can be one inch below the belly button, no spandex and no logos are permitted on the board shorts however a manufacturer’s logo such as Nike symbol or Billabong are acceptable. Competitors will enter the stage without a shirt and barefoot. No lewd acts are allowed. Example: The moon pose. Judges are looking for the contestant with the best stage presence and poise who can successfully convey his personality to the audience.

COMPETITION JUDGING

Presentation:

* Competitors will walk to the center of the stage alone and perform quarter (1/4) turns with optional pose of hand on hip or hand in pocket, face the judges as directed then proceed to the side of the stage.

Comparison Round:

* The competitors will be brought back out in a group and directed to do quarter turns

* Judges will have the opportunity to compare competitors against each other in quarter turns.

Promoters can choose to have one class or two. For contests with two classes:

* Up to including 5’8”

* Over 5’8”

National level contests do not permit competitors to crossover into Bodybuilding. All other competitions are permitted to have crossovers at the discretion of the promoter with district chairperson’s approval.

Who Qualifies for National Level Men’s Physique Competitions:

Competitors that place in the top five (5) in each class at national qualifying contests will have a one year qualification for national level events.

Note: For 2011 a place in the top five (5) of any Men’s Physique contest will qualify you for national level contests.

QUALIFYING FOR IFBB PROFESSIONAL STATUS:

* NPC JUNIOR USA CHAMPIONSHIPS – Top 2 placers in the overall comparison earn IFBB Pro Card
* NPC JUNIOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – Top 4 placers in the overall comparison earn IFBB Pro Card
* TEAM UNIVERSE – Height class winners earn IFBB Pro Card
* NPC USA CHAMPIONSHIPS – Height class winners earn IFBB Pro Card
* IFBB NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIPS – Top 2 placers in the overall comparison earn IFBB Pro Card
* NPC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – Height class winners earn IFBB Pro Card

Totally lame idea.................jus t makes the contests longer for people who actually trained hard and dieted for months. :(

Smanjh

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »
I have said it from the start.  If they want a fit physique contest at the expo as an extra fun thing , fine. Giving it pro card status is silly. After some reflection, I am not letting it drive me away from attending contests. I am done with judging in the NPC, but I may still compete as a bodybuilder.

I  would never be rude to any guys in the male fitness division, at a contest. I simply have NO interest in seeing it or judging it, etc.

The whole damn thing is a joke anyway honestly. When you realize you need a nightmarish quantity of illegal drugs just to attempt it, you find out quickly that you really have no chance from the get go.

Bodybuilding has to be natural or they need to legalize steroids. Otherwise it will never work for the public as a whole.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 04:03:09 PM »
Where did you get that idea?

WPD is everythuing BUT, hardcore roided out bodybuilding....

Try and keep up

I don't know what WPD is.  I'm talking about amateur women's bodybuilding in the US and elsewhere:  the non-Figure, non-Bikini, non-Model Search category, the one that Amber DeFrancesco won at this year's Nationals, is generally called Physique.

Evo

• Getbig IV
  • you racku disapwin!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »
Terrible idea; that will, in time, over shadow the bodybuilding aspect of the shows.

A piss poor attempt to make the sport more mainstream and appeal to 120lbs twinks!

May as well turn the fucking thing into a full blown pageant.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 04:54:08 PM »
May as well turn the fucking thing into a full blown pageant.

That's what every IFBB show is, a pageant...

From Webster's dictionary: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pageant

Definition of PAGEANT
1a : a mere show : pretense b : an ostentatious display
2: show, exhibition; especially : an elaborate colorful exhibition or spectacle often with music that consists of a series of tableaux, of a loosely unified drama, or of a procession usually with floats

"1"

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 06:50:57 PM »

I have the perfect physique for this shit , I will represent Getbig  in the 2011 Nationals .(no homo)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »

Stage presence? poise???!!!!!  WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF??????? FUUUKKING GAAAAAAYYYYYYY 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 06:57:04 PM »

Stage presence? poise???!!!!!  WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF??????? FUUUKKING GAAAAAAYYYYYYY 

You were expecting something else?  :D

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 06:57:49 PM »
I have the perfect physique for this shit , I will represent Getbig  in the 2011 Nationals .(no homo)

I endorse this

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 07:07:31 PM »
Why is the American public so afraid of the male body. Women in a similar contest are wearing thongs!
Insecurity About themselves, plus gay men go gaga...

Alexander D

• Getbig IV
  • Johnny Falcon for President
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 07:42:55 PM »
That's what every IFBB show is, a pageant...

From Webster's dictionary: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pageant

Definition of PAGEANT
1a : a mere show : pretense b : an ostentatious display
2: show, exhibition; especially : an elaborate colorful exhibition or spectacle often with music that consists of a series of tableaux, of a loosely unified drama, or of a procession usually with floats

"1"

Agreed... bodybuilding is a "beauty" pageant. Eating chicken breasts and lifting weights isnt a sport lol.

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Agreed... bodybuilding is a "beauty" pageant. Eating chicken breasts and lifting weights isnt a sport lol.

If bodybuilding is a sport than dog shows and horse auctions shoul be considered sports too.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »
Bob,

Can u show us any pics of what the npc is looking for in a "mens physique" competitor, or has that not been figured out yet?

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 10:15:01 PM »
this is such a fuckig embarrasment

i seriously wish someone woud usurp the NPC-IFBBs power and create a better bodybuilding-centric org