Author Topic: The end of an era  (Read 8716 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Re: The end of an era
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »
Overeem got extremely lucky in their first meet. Hes gonna pay with a big right hand from Rogers.

Even IF Rogers beats Barnett, which I don't think is going to happen, he won't beat either Werdum or Reem.

Then again, stranger things have happened.  We all know what happened to GSP with Serra back in the day.

My prediction is that Barnett takes Rogers down and ends it.  TKO second.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2011, 02:43:39 PM »
They are more 'proven' than Velasquez cos there older and have fought alot more DUH!!! state the obvious why dont you.

This is completely redundant. The fact is that they do have more credibility as heavyweights, thus the winner between them should be the World's greatest heavyweight.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
  • "You've got size, but you don't have my size!"
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Even IF Rogers beats Barnett, which I don't think is going to happen, he won't beat either Werdum or Reem.

Then again, stranger things have happened.  We all know what happened to GSP with Serra back in the day.

My prediction is that Barnett takes Rogers down and ends it.  TKO second.

yeah we all know GSP was exposed by Serra back in the day (2007!!) lol ::)

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2011, 05:28:49 PM »
yeah we all know GSP was exposed by Serra back in the day (2007!!) lol ::)

Oh wait I forgot, that IS back in the day for you!! HAHA!!

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »
Oh wait I forgot, that IS back in the day for you!! HAHA!!
please tell me you're not laughing at your jokes. ::)

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2011, 05:56:01 PM »
please tell me you're not laughing at your jokes. ::)

GSP got exposed what??

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »
What are you, some sorta troll?  Within the past ten minutes you slammed ME, EVOLVER, & SUCKMYMUSCLE.  And all with no merit.

Keep up the good work Kevcat.   ::)

You seem to be a troll
You say youre a 'fan' of fighters but know absolutely nothing about them, other than what you read on Wikipedia  ;)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2011, 10:28:37 AM »
You seem to be a troll
You say youre a 'fan' of fighters but know absolutely nothing about them, other than what you read on Wikipedia  ;)

No youre a troll!

::)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2011, 11:35:28 AM »
all of the best guys from the early TUF era are way past their prime

wanderlei
liddell
hughes
randy
nog
arlovski
sylvia
cro cop
franklin

and now Fedor

times change, people get old

to say that any of these guys sucked makes a person a retard

E
E

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2011, 12:28:22 PM »

wanderlei
liddell
hughes
randy
nog
arlovski
sylvia
cro cop
franklin

and now Fedor

E

I mostly agree with you here....The only thing I can disagree with you about is that Fedor is not necessarily past his prime, He's just not as good as many current HW's in MMA.  The sport has evolved, and he has not. Fedor has been fighting mediocre talent for years now.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2011, 12:31:47 PM »

wanderlei
liddell
hughes
randy
nog
arlovski
sylvia
cro cop
franklin

and now Fedor

E

According to the troll with 3 gimmicks, none of them were exposed. Just Fedor lol.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
According to the troll with 3 gimmicks, none of them were exposed. Just Fedor lol.

Exactly my point.

There was a time (two embarrassing losses ago) that Fedor was fighting mediocre competition and was holding the #1 ranking hostage.

Not the case anymore. I was right all along, and frankly, it's old news now. Silva just verified it beyond any argument.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »
Exactly my point.

There was a time (two embarrassing losses ago) that Fedor was fighting mediocre competition and was holding the #1 ranking hostage.

Not the case anymore. I was right all along, and frankly, it's old news now. Silva just verified it beyond any argument.

He wasnt holding the number one spot, 5- 2 Brock Lesnar was lol. Silva is a heavyweight that cuts to fight smaller shorter men. Overeem would kill him lol.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »
He wasnt holding the number one spot, 5- 2 Brock Lesnar was lol. Silva is a heavyweight that cuts to fight smaller shorter men. Overeem would kill him lol.

Good for Anderson then. That is what most fighters do.

Don't blame Fedor's inability to lose 50lbs. of fat on other fighters.  Most fighters cut weight in case you didn't know.
There are risks to everything in this sport.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »
Good for Anderson then. That is what most fighters do.

Don't blame Fedor's inability to lose 50lbs. of fat on other fighters.  Most fighters cut weight in case you didn't know.
There are risks to everything in this sport.

So cutting weight to fight smaller men is what makes you the best? lmfao wrong again hot shot.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2011, 01:32:23 PM »
So cutting weight to fight smaller men is what makes you the best? lmfao wrong again hot shot.

Most fighters in combat sports and college wrestling cut weight.  How much they want to cut and how it effects them is the part of the game.

Most weight the same on weigh in day in case you didn't know.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2011, 08:24:18 AM »
 This is completely redundant. The fact is that they do have more credibility as heavyweights, thus the winner between them should be the World's greatest heavyweight.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Tell me how they have more credibility then?

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2011, 08:53:02 AM »
Most fighters in combat sports and college wrestling cut weight.  How much they want to cut and how it effects them is the part of the game.

Most weight the same on weigh in day in case you didn't know.

Nope, him not cutting weight and fighting at a disadvantage is more impressive than cutting a shit load of weight to fight smaller guys and have the advantage. Its simple. You dont make sense at all lol.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2011, 09:17:13 AM »
Nope, him not cutting weight and fighting at a disadvantage is more impressive than cutting a shit load of weight to fight smaller guys and have the advantage. Its simple. You dont make sense at all lol.

WOW....truly showing your lack of knowledge here.

Cutting weight is part of the game and an option available to EVERY fighter. Do the judges score higher when a guy cuts less weight LOL!

Do you even understand the way combat sports work. Even in HS & College wrestling they cut weight. Boxing too.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »

Cutting weight is part of the game and an option available to EVERY fighter. Do the judges score higher when a guy cuts less weight LOL!

Do you even understand the way combat sports work. Even in HS & College wrestling they cut weight. Boxing too.

So Jon Jones, Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz cut to 205 because HW is too easy?  ::)

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
I mostly agree with you here....The only thing I can disagree with you about is that Fedor is not necessarily past his prime, He's just not as good as many current HW's in MMA.  The sport has evolved, and he has not. Fedor has been fighting mediocre talent for years now.

I dont want to get caught up in this childish game of "my dads bigger than your dad" which seems to be spanning the board, but i have to disagree here. To say that a prime Fedor is not as good as the modern crop of top 10 guys is ridiculous, because essentially if he is not past his prime then he is still there, yes? I was never mad about him as a fan but as a fighter i couldnt help but appreciate and awe at what he was able to do to people at will - people regarded as the some of the best of all time.

The peak years of Fedor were in Pride, there is absolutely no way he could have been overcome by Silva or Werdum, or even challenged by Andrei or Brett back in that era because as ive said before he was better at everything than the most highly regarded fighters. His speed and power made up for his lack of size because it was enough to simply crush people 100 - 200lbs heavier than he was - so the excuses ive seen by SMM stating "he was outweighed by.........." have no substance. Its not the end of the world fella, his time has come and gone.

Every fighter ages, and as he has not been as active then its hard for people to see just how far off his own pace he has become. Its a part of life guys, get over it and move on instead of dwelling on why youre favourite anything is no longer the best. The current crop may be better trained and more motivated but that could be because Fedor has been king for so long hes lost the hunger, but as hes unable to match his own standards and is being ripped apart for it?!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2011, 11:56:42 AM »
I dont want to get caught up in this childish game of "my dads bigger than your dad" which seems to be spanning the board, but i have to disagree here. To say that a prime Fedor is not as good as the modern crop of top 10 guys is ridiculous, because essentially if he is not past his prime then he is still there, yes? I was never mad about him as a fan but as a fighter i couldnt help but appreciate and awe at what he was able to do to people at will - people regarded as the some of the best of all time.

The peak years of Fedor were in Pride, there is absolutely no way he could have been overcome by Silva or Werdum, or even challenged by Andrei or Brett back in that era because as ive said before he was better at everything than the most highly regarded fighters. His speed and power made up for his lack of size because it was enough to simply crush people 100 - 200lbs heavier than he was - so the excuses ive seen by SMM stating "he was outweighed by.........." have no substance. Its not the end of the world fella, his time has come and gone.

Every fighter ages, and as he has not been as active then its hard for people to see just how far off his own pace he has become. Its a part of life guys, get over it and move on instead of dwelling on why youre favourite anything is no longer the best. The current crop may be better trained and more motivated but that could be because Fedor has been king for so long hes lost the hunger, but as hes unable to match his own standards and is being ripped apart for it?!

Sorry- your post was well reasoned and intelligent. Therefore, your not allowed to post on this board without arguing with 15 gimmick accounts that belong to two people that have been following MMA for 6 months.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2011, 04:06:51 PM »

Answer me boy!

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2011, 04:07:57 PM »
Talk to me boy I can't hear ya!!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2011, 01:10:46 PM »
so the excuses ive seen by SMM stating "he was outweighed by.........." have no substance. Its not the end of the

Apples and oranges. The guys who were 100+ lbs heavier than Fedor were either just huge with little fighting skills and athletic ability, like Hong Man Choi, or overweight - like Zuluzinho. C'mon, Fedor was god-like and could beat fighters that outweighted him by 50 lbs, but 100+ is ridiculous. You would have to be Goku on steroids and crack cocaine to beat opponents who outweight you by a legitimate 100+ lbs. Beating opponents that outweight you by 50+ lbs is hard enough. In fact, only Fedor could do it on a regular basis. Silva is a lean and cut 57 lbs heavier than Fedor and that is a ridiculous advantage in strength and power - three whole weight classes! Prime Fedor would have his hands full with Silva, but the Fedor of today just couldn't do it.

SUCKMYMUSCLE