Author Topic: The end of an era  (Read 8718 times)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
The end of an era
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
He's my favorite fighter of all time so it hurts to admit it-- Fedor should retire.

He doesn't have the same explosiveness, he can't control guys that outweigh him by 50lbs that have skills and he's past his prime.

To me, he's still the greatest-- as long as he hangs it up before he embarasses himself and goes on a 9 fight losing streak ala Chuck Lidell.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
Re: The end of an era
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:00:11 PM »
He's my favorite fighter of all time so it hurts to admit it-- Fedor should retire.

He doesn't have the same explosiveness, he can't control guys that outweigh him by 50lbs that have skills and he's past his prime.

To me, he's still the greatest-- as long as he hangs it up before he embarasses himself and goes on a 9 fight losing streak ala Chuck Lidell.

Agree 100%.  I don't dislike Fedor, I just disliked the people that used to claim he was #1 when in reality Fedor had a padded record.

He is a legend for sure. He shouldn't spoil that and continue fighting.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »
Agree 100%.  I don't dislike Fedor, I just disliked the people that used to claim he was #1 when in reality Fedor had a padded record.

He is a legend for sure. He shouldn't spoil that and continue fighting.

He'll go down as the greatest MMA fighter of all time. You and your UFC fanboy brigade can thump your chest until it bleeds and that still won't change.  :-*

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:20:01 PM »
He'll go down as the greatest MMA fighter of all time. You and your UFC fanboy brigade can thump your chest until it bleeds and that still won't change.  :-*

Fedor will never be considered the best ever. He was the best of an era, but with many freakshow fights and mismatches in an org with known fixed and mafia ties, he will always have  a questionable ranking. But hey....he was fun to watch in his prime.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:22:07 PM »

:D

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »
Fedor is the GOAT

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »
I agree that his handlers wasted the last few years by keeping him so inactive and by doing some shady negotiating, but in the end, once the bell rang he was there to fight, and was never reduced to running away or going fetal.  He accomplished many great things as a soft and undersized HW, definite legend in an era that the word "legend" is way overused.
Predictions
 40/61

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 10:33:43 PM »
I agree that his handlers wasted the last few years by keeping him so inactive and by doing some shady negotiating, but in the end, once the bell rang he was there to fight, and was never reduced to throwing running away or going fetal.  He accomplished many great things as a soft and undersized HW, definite legend in an era that the word "legend" is way overused.

I agree & well said. Fedor is a humble man and you can't deny what he accomplished. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 10:56:58 PM »
He just retired. Im proud of him-- but sad as fuck. It takes guts to acknowledge when you don't have it anymore. All good things come to an end.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 08:02:19 AM »

I bet you would floss with Fedor's pubes given the chance.  Your nuthuggery is swelling to mass proportions. 

If Fedor would have fought in the UFC and still KO'd fighters the way he did in Strike etc, then i'd say yes, greatest ever.  But in agreeing with Weightpusher, his record is very much padded and that is a fact that only a feeble argument can sustain. 

Someone like a Randy Couture gets my vote as greatest.  Why?  Because he's been a champ at different bodyweights.  He's KO'd fighters.  Submitted fighers.  Found a way to beat fighters.  He taken on guys twice his size and won.  And he's still doing it.  ANd he is a good role model...unlike mute Fedor.  Someone like Couture is the face of this sport, not Fedor. 
A guy's record is huge when determining who is "greatest"..but imo it isn't the only thing to be considered.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »

I bet you would floss with Fedor's pubes given the chance.  Your nuthuggery is swelling to mass proportions. 

If Fedor would have fought in the UFC and still KO'd fighters the way he did in Strike etc, then i'd say yes, greatest ever.  But in agreeing with Weightpusher, his record is very much padded and that is a fact that only a feeble argument can sustain. 

Someone like a Randy Couture gets my vote as greatest.  Why?  Because he's been a champ at different bodyweights.  He's KO'd fighters.  Submitted fighers.  Found a way to beat fighters.  He taken on guys twice his size and won.  And he's still doing it.  ANd he is a good role model...unlike mute Fedor.  Someone like Couture is the face of this sport, not Fedor. 
A guy's record is huge when determining who is "greatest"..but imo it isn't the only thing to be considered.

What Fedor accomplished in PRIDE far outweights anything that anyone has ever accomplished in the UFC. The two most emblematic UFC fighters ever, Chuck Liddel and Frank Shamrock, don't come even close to Fedor's record. The two currently best, Anderson and GSP, also don't come close. Anderson fights mostly cans because there is no talent in his division, and GSP has had many questionable wins in the past and usually wins via decisions unlike Fedor who pretty much always finished his fights - except for Nogueira.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »

I bet you would floss with Fedor's pubes given the chance.  Your nuthuggery is swelling to mass proportions.  

If Fedor would have fought in the UFC and still KO'd fighters the way he did in Strike etc, then i'd say yes, greatest ever.  But in agreeing with Weightpusher, his record is very much padded and that is a fact that only a feeble argument can sustain.  

Someone like a Randy Couture gets my vote as greatest.  Why?  Because he's been a champ at different bodyweights.  He's KO'd fighters.  Submitted fighers.  Found a way to beat fighters.  He taken on guys twice his size and won.  And he's still doing it.  ANd he is a good role model...unlike mute Fedor.  Someone like Couture is the face of this sport, not Fedor.  
You seriously know nothing about MMA or are just a fucking moron in general if you think Randy Couture is on the same planet as Fedor fighting wise. If someone asked Randy who the greatest of all time was, he would say Fedor. Your comments about Randy being a better role model are also idiotic. Thankfully you and MS are the only ones who post here that are clueless enough to believe such nonsense as the two of you represent a cross section of American MMA fans that are braindead and ignorant about everything non-UFC related. I'd also bet money that the closest you've ever come personally to getting in a fight your entire life was the time you snuck into a men's apprel store after hours so you could sniff the worn "Tap Out" boxer shorts that were left inside the fitting rooms.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »
Word this AM from a weekly mma show I listen to M-1..etc said he not retiring. Apparently they would have fought silva even if the GP wasn't done. He was fedor next fight. They mention fedor may indeed want to shut it down, but not sure how much control M-1 has over him (making him continue to fight basically)

They also mention overeem camp did not like werdum fight off top because it seemed M-1 and fedor camp got to hand pick their guy and his camp wasn't allowed that. 

Just some second hand stuff passing along from the show.

As far as fedor...saw no explosiveness in his hips at all. He's hip tossed guys bigger than silva (who was that big black mofo he ran over in pride? zulu or some sh*t) ....I've seen him way more aggressive than last night. I think he wants to shut it down, but M-1 might have a lock on him mafia style.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
I strongly disagree in regards to Randy, there are numerous HW fighters that surpass his ability when you compare relative primes and even LHW's. His record is not very good regardless pf the quality of his opponents, to state he's the best ever suggests that you do not have a broad knowledge of this sport or in depth knowledge of its history. But i realise that it is your opinion and for that reason alone i can respect it without need for you to justify it.

I look to fighters like Igor - the Fedor prototype who seemed to walk straight through anything you hit him with until injuries and the quality of opposition caught up with him. He was a trail blazer, dominating  almost everyone in all organisations he fought in to the point that people feared the name before ever seeing the man. His only early questionable result was his 1st fight against Nick Nutter when they were stood up with Nutter controlling and dominating. The rematch was very very different.

Alot of people would say Mark Kerr but in reality he was nothing without the drugs, and he didnt exactly have stellar opposition on his record. Bas was amazing and could have made him one of the all time marquee names however he couldnt manage his own demons and dragged people down.

What Igor did for stand up, Coleman did for GnP and set a new standard for victory. His relentless pursuit of the takedown combined with his ridiculous strength made for a very slow, agonising recovery for most of his opponents. Hes fought too long trying to keep his name in lights and make a few extra $$ but at his all time peak he was the true smashing machine.

Fedor stands alone in what he was able to do - he outstruck the best strikers, out grappled the best wrestlers and out manouvered the best ground fighters in the world. I really do not think we will see anyone at that level in my lifetime unless Bones steps up and lives up to his potential.

Afterall, potential is just that - essentially it means nothing.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
  • "You've got size, but you don't have my size!"
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »
Fedor will never be considered the best ever. He was the best of an era, but with many freakshow fights and mismatches in an org with known fixed and mafia ties, he will always have  a questionable ranking. But hey....he was fun to watch in his prime.

You are too caught up with opponents and orgs instead of the actual fighting itself. There was a reason the best fighters on the planet were calling him THE BEST fighter on the planet.

Im still not buying your "padded record" BS you've always babbled about. Lets see how Anderson Silva or Brock Lesnar would have done against all of Fedors opponents.

You are delusional and dont know anything about fighting with the statements you make about Fedor on a regular basis.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 03:38:40 PM »

You imbecile, Couture said recently that Fedor is the greatest ever, and not only heavyweight, but pound-for-pound. GSP said the same. Anderson Silva said Fedor is the greatest heavyweight ever, and that he still looks up to Fedor as an inspiration like all former PRIDE fighters do. Shogun said Fedor is the greatest ever and that you should have seen him fight in person to understand just how ridiculously grand he is. Nogueira said that the toughest fights of his careers were his two fights against Fedor, and that it was the only time he felt outclassed. He gave an interview to "Portal Do Vale-Tudo" in Brazil where he said that he felt like he wasn't even in Fedor's league and that going into his second fight with Fedor was the only time he felt intimidated by a fighter. Fedor has the highest ranking that any fighter has ever had according to Sherdog. That is, at one point the difference between him and the guy who was second was the greatest ever and never again was the distance between first and second so great. He was like the Fischer of MMA. You know when the two greatest pound-for-pound fighters in the World, Anderson Silva and GSP, say that they are in awe of Fedor and have no words to describe him that the guy was truly something special.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »
Boy, all You fedor  dick lickers are crying up a storm right now.  Lol.  He's a legend no doubt, but IN. MY OPINION not the greatest.  I believe there is more to it than an inflated record. 
I can't believe the long rants from gw and suck.  Sorry fellas.  He's been exposed as a can fighter.   

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 03:53:50 PM »
Boy, all You fedor  dick lickers are crying up a storm right now.  Lol.  He's a legend no doubt, but IN. MY OPINION not the greatest.  I believe there is more to it than an inflated record. 
I can't believe the long rants from gw and suck.  Sorry fellas.  He's been exposed as a can fighter.   

You have no knowledge about fighting with a statement like that lol.
Question for you- Why did GSP, Shogun and BJ Penn say Fedor was the best fighter on the planet? Why??

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 04:25:27 PM »
I don't care who says what.  My opinion is that fedor is a great heavyweight.   MY OPINION is that he's not the greatest fighter ever.
I think there is more than just someone's record when calculating who the greatest is.

Shame on me for not agreeing w the nuthuggers.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 04:50:34 PM »
I don't care who says what.  My opinion is that fedor is a great heavyweight.   MY OPINION is that he's not the greatest fighter ever.
I think there is more than just someone's record when calculating who the greatest is.

Shame on me for not agreeing w the nuthuggers.

Whos your "favorite" fighter? Since thats what MMA is to you lol

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »
Right now my favorite is Jones.  Exciting to watch.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 04:54:27 PM »
FFedor just needs to take a shit load of steroids... just like the other fighters...
S

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »
Right now my favorite is Jones.  Exciting to watch.

Because hes undefeated. What are you gonna say when he loses?

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
Because hes undefeated. What are you gonna say when he loses?

If you read what I wrote you would understand why he's one of my favorites. Not BC his record but BC he is exciting to watch.
Pay attention dumb fuck.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 05:04:01 PM »

If you read what I wrote you would understand why he's one of my favorites. Not BC his record but BC he is exciting to watch.
Pay attention dumb fuck.

whats that tuffer?