Author Topic: Ron Paul Interview on Co Introducing Bill To Decriminalize Marijuana  (Read 3874 times)

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
Absolutely true... because alcohol is legal and regulated, kids can't just go get it.

No drug dealer checks ID.

Exactly.  I am 41 now and even when I was a teen it was much easier to get weed.  Probably why I was never a big drinker and was content with smoking a few times a week.

Thanks for your support BB.  There are many more like myself who are in my position.  I have a great career in IT, never have been in trouble before, Was currently back in college to finish my masters and was on the Deans list.  None of that mattered to the prosecutor.  As for the swat team that came to my house to get their hands on an ounce of weed.. ::).  I have always respected the cops until this incident.  That is what got me in this position.  I thought they were looking for a meth lab or something so I said sure come in and look around.  I was dumb and naive to think they would do this to me over a bag of weed.  It is all about the bust to further their career.  One cop even told me that he knows I am not a scumbag.  Well what the fuck...why arrest me then ya know.  All of this came from an anonymous tip from a loser family member who I didn't help out financially.  I have 6 months left of hell.  Then I will be writing to anyone who matters about my experience and how wrong it was.  As soon as I said I needed a lawyer they threatened to arrest my wife and break the door off the hinges and trash everything in the house and leave it that way.  I had to make a decision to spare my wife.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Alcohol is about as easy as soda for kids to get.  All they need is an adult to buy it for them.  Or an adult to have it available.

This part of Bennett's article talks about it:

For example, since at least 1975, report after report has found that "perceptions of the risk and social disapproval of drug use correlate very closely with drug taking behavior." When those in the drug prevention community ask teens who don't use drugs why they don't, time and again, the answer comes back "because it's illegal." This, of course, explains why a greater percentage of teens abuse legal substances like tobacco and alcohol over illegal drugs such as marijuana -- even when they say marijuana is easily accessible.

Second, keeping drugs out of the hands of children is the best way to prevent drug addiction generally, as study after study has confirmed that if we keep a child drug free until age 21, the chances of use in adulthood are next to zero.

That next to zero statement is bullshit.

Alcohol = Drug

Drug use at age 21 skyrockets because you are now legally allowed to use a drug called "alcohol".

These studies are simply unrealistic because you are asking kids if they are using an illegal substance, and of course they will generally say no because they don't want to get into trouble.

But hey... if it makes you feel better... you believe it.

When I was in school (and that was a long time ago) people were just as inclined to have weed in their car as beer... and I've been out of school a LONG time.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Exactly.  I am 41 now and even when I was a teen it was much easier to get weed.  Probably why I was never a big drinker and was content with smoking a few times a week.

Thanks for your support BB.  There are many more like myself who are in my position.  I have a great career in IT, never have been in trouble before, Was currently back in college to finish my masters and was on the Deans list.  None of that mattered to the prosecutor.  As for the swat team that came to my house to get their hands on an ounce of weed.. ::).  I have always respected the cops until this incident.  That is what got me in this position.  I thought they were looking for a meth lab or something so I said sure come in and look around.  I was dumb and naive to think they would do this to me over a bag of weed.  It is all about the bust to further their career.  One cop even told me that he knows I am not a scumbag.  Well what the fuck...why arrest me then ya know.  All of this came from an anonymous tip from a loser family member who I didn't help out financially.  I have 6 months left of hell.  Then I will be writing to anyone who matters about my experience and how wrong it was.  As soon as I said I needed a lawyer they threatened to arrest my wife and break the door off the hinges and trash everything in the house and leave it that way.  I had to make a decision to spare my wife.

Sorry to hear this too man... This is bullshit.

A decent person being sent to jail and having to keep a local municipality afloat because they spend too much money and it's easier to take it from someone like you who has a life and something to lose.

Complete bullshit.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
That next to zero statement is bullshit.

Alcohol = Drug

Drug use at age 21 skyrockets because you are now legally allowed to use a drug called "alcohol".

These studies are simply unrealistic because you are asking kids if they are using an illegal substance, and of course they will generally say no because they don't want to get into trouble.

But hey... if it makes you feel better... you believe it.

When I was in school (and that was a long time ago) people were just as inclined to have weed in their car as beer... and I've been out of school a LONG time.

I haven't looked at the data, but I don't doubt it all.  The same is true of cigarettes.  If a person doesn't start smoking as a minor, they most likely will not start later in life.  That's why Tobacco companies targeted kids for years.  That's the only way they stay in business.  

When I was in school, which was a long time ago, weed was all over the place, just like it is now, but so was alcohol.  

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. 

He talks about adolescent use, because that's probably the biggest stumbling block to legalizing drugs.  The data he references says the only thing standing between drug use by a number of kids is illegality.  Remove that barrier, even if it's just for adults, and you'll likely see a dramatic increase in use, abuse, addiction, etc. involving kids. 

Lol yeah right. Out of touch.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Lol yeah right. Out of touch.

Here is the quote, which makes sense to me:

For example, since at least 1975, report after report has found that "perceptions of the risk and social disapproval of drug use correlate very closely with drug taking behavior." When those in the drug prevention community ask teens who don't use drugs why they don't, time and again, the answer comes back "because it's illegal." This, of course, explains why a greater percentage of teens abuse legal substances like tobacco and alcohol over illegal drugs such as marijuana -- even when they say marijuana is easily accessible.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V

What matters is, has the amount of kids using marijuana today  increased compared to 30 years ago?

I think the answer is yes, so much for drug prohibition. It doesn't work.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't have the time to find statistics on this.

He also doesn't mention if its the main reason why kids don't use drugs. He just states its an answer that's mentioned time and again but what about not doing drugs because they have a fear of being addicted? How about fear of parental discipline or dissapointment? Fear of the stereotypes they may have of drug users/dealres? etc... where does all that fit in comparatively speaking?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

What matters is, has the amount of kids using marijuana today  increased compared to 30 years ago?

I think the answer is yes, so much for drug prohibition. It doesn't work.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't have the time to find statistics on this.

He also doesn't mention if its the main reason why kids don't use drugs. He just states its an answer that's mentioned time and again but what about not doing drugs because they have a fear of being addicted? How about fear of parental discipline or dissapointment? Fear of the stereotypes they may have of drug users/dealres? etc... where does all that fit in comparatively speaking?

If drug use by kids has increased over the past thirty years, what will happen if they are legal?  Wouldn't drug use increase even more? 

I'm sure there are a variety of reasons why kids don't use.  I'm not sure how to rank the various reasons, but illegality has to be pretty high on the list.  Removing illegality would be like removing any other factor that contributes to non-use, like good parenting, etc. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
But for his age rp is by far the best in the race.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
If drug use by kids has increased over the past thirty years, what will happen if they are legal?  Wouldn't drug use increase even more?  

I'm sure there are a variety of reasons why kids don't use.  I'm not sure how to rank the various reasons, but illegality has to be pretty high on the list.  Removing illegality would be like removing any other factor that contributes to non-use, like good parenting, etc.  

I stated earlier that yes, I think its usage would increase but so what?  

What it comes down to it alcohol, many people die from its abuse and there are tons of underage users  but people are still given a choice to use it. I think marijuana is in that same league of drug.

Some people will be able to use it in moderation and have a very normal life and some people will go down the road to more experimentation and possibly addiction. That's life. We cant help everyone but as long as the vast majority aren't abusing, who gives a shit? Place the same limits as we have on booze and lets be done with it. All this microscope viewing is ridiculous, there is no blanket answer and not everyone can be saved, that's the way its always been and that's the way it'll always be.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I stated earlier that yes, I think its usage would increase but so what?  

What it comes down to it alcohol, many people die from its abuse and there are tons of underage users  but people are still given a choice to use it. I think marijuana is in that same league of drug.

Some people will be able to use it in moderation and have a very normal life and some people will go down the road to more experimentation and possibly addiction. That's life. We cant help everyone but as long as the vast majority aren't abusing, who gives a shit? Place the same limits as we have on booze and lets be done with it. All this microscope viewing is ridiculous, there is no blanket answer and not everyone can be saved, that's the way its always been and that's the way it'll always be.

It's not that simple for me.  I care about how public policy affects kids.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Giving kids felonies for use is not too good either. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
It's not that simple for me.  I care about how public policy affects kids.

How does putting a kid into juvenile detention with REAL criminals affect kids who have a couple of dime bags?

You think it's better to lock them up?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Giving kids felonies for use is not too good either. 

According to Bennett's article, that doesn't happen too often.  

As for the high incarceration rates for simple marijuana use and possession, it is a myth. As government documentation actually shows, over 97% of sentencing on federal marijuana-related charges is for trafficking, less than 2% is for simple possession. Indeed, the only National Review authority with federal prosecutorial experience that I know of backs this point up: "Actual enforcement is targeted at big distributors. People who merely possess drugs for personal use well know they are substantially safe no matter what the statutes say."

Skip8282

• Getbig V
I'm with RP on this - legalize it all.  Education is more effective at reaching the kids then the law IMO.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
Education is more effective at reaching the kids then the law IMO.

Totally.

I believe parents that are completely open and honest about drugs other then just spitting out the same old "drugs are bad" shtick have much more success with anything having to do with kids/drugs.  

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V

Totally.

I believe parents that are completely open and honest about drugs other then just spitting out the same old "drugs are bad" shtick have much more success with anything having to do with kids/drugs.  
plus, anytime you stick the taboo label on anything, everyone wants it, especially kids.  It's when you grow up with it just being another thing that it has no special interest, especially with kids.  Freak out on a kid telling him what he/she can never do, then before you know it, you fucking talked them right into it.  Nancy probably got more kids on drugs than anyone in history.

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I'm with RP on this - legalize it all.  Education is more effective at reaching the kids then the law IMO.

+1

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
White house fighting back :(

New DOJ Memo goes on a major DEA attack on medical marijuana
 Edited on Fri Jul-01-11 06:03 AM by Ichingcarpenter
Obama Administration Overrides 2009 Ogden Memo, Declares Open Season on Pot Shops in States Where Medical Marijuana Is Legal

Mike Riggs | June 30, 2011

The Department of Justice sent out a memo Wednesday instructing the head of the Drug Enforcement Administration and leading officials in the U.S. Attorneys Office to treat medical marijuana shops as top priorities for prosecutors and drug investigators.

"Persons who are in the business of cultivating, selling or distributing marijuana, and those who knowingly facilitate such activities, are in violation of the Controlled Substances Act, regardless of state law," the memo reads. "Consistent with resource constraints and the discretion you may exercise in your district, such persons are subject to federal enforcement action, including potential prosecution. State laws or local ordinances are not a defense to civil or criminal enforcement of federal law with respect to such conduct, including enforcement of the CSA."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
More police state bullshit from Obama/Holder.   Who the fuck voted for this crap? 

They have more time to devote to this crap, suing Appollo 13 astronauts, than securing the border, going after fraud on wall street, etc. 

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
The Department of Justice sent out a memo Wednesday instructing the head of the Drug Enforcement Administration and leading officials in the U.S. Attorneys Office to treat medical marijuana shops as top priorities for prosecutors and drug investigators.

The people who make these decisions are not living in the real world
Maybe thats the problem? All politicians are all theory and no practise. Coming straight out of education with some degree and no real world knowledge what so ever

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
According to Bennett's article, that doesn't happen too often. 

As for the high incarceration rates for simple marijuana use and possession, it is a myth. As government documentation actually shows, over 97% of sentencing on federal marijuana-related charges is for trafficking, less than 2% is for simple possession. Indeed, the only National Review authority with federal prosecutorial experience that I know of backs this point up: "Actual enforcement is targeted at big distributors. People who merely possess drugs for personal use well know they are substantially safe no matter what the statutes say."

Look at that... Federal charges... Yes, they are for trafficking.

Guess what? The laws that lock up simple possessors are state and local laws... Doesn't make it any less bullshit.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
+1

Fuck off gimmick.

White house fighting back :(

New DOJ Memo goes on a major DEA attack on medical marijuana
 Edited on Fri Jul-01-11 06:03 AM by Ichingcarpenter
Obama Administration Overrides 2009 Ogden Memo, Declares Open Season on Pot Shops in States Where Medical Marijuana Is Legal

Mike Riggs | June 30, 2011

"Persons who are in the business of cultivating, selling or distributing marijuana, and those who knowingly facilitate such activities, are in violation of the Controlled Substances Act, regardless of state law," the memo reads. "Consistent with resource constraints and the discretion you may exercise in your district, such persons are subject to federal enforcement action, including potential prosecution. State laws or local ordinances are not a defense to civil or criminal enforcement of federal law with respect to such conduct, including enforcement of the CSA."

That didn't last long.  Wonder if the upcoming election has anything to do with this?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
plus, anytime you stick the taboo label on anything, everyone wants it, especially kids.  It's when you grow up with it just being another thing that it has no special interest, especially with kids.  Freak out on a kid telling him what he/she can never do, then before you know it, you fucking talked them right into it.  Nancy probably got more kids on drugs than anyone in history.

Certain things are "taboo" and have to be treated as such.  That doesn't mean you don't talk about it or educate your kid.  But they do need to be taught about right and wrong.  Things that are harmful to kids are not just "another thing." 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Look at that... Federal charges... Yes, they are for trafficking.

Guess what? The laws that lock up simple possessors are state and local laws... Doesn't make it any less bullshit.

Are you saying the state convictions and incarcerations are substantially different? 

And really, at the end of the day, if people (including kids) want to stay out of prison, don't break the law.