Author Topic: Wang targeting HIV  (Read 9825 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Wang targeting HIV
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:29:16 PM »
USC Scientist Develops Virus That Targets HIV

In what represents an important step toward curing HIV, a USC scientist has created a virus that hunts down HIV-infected cells.

Pin Wang’s lentiviral vector latches onto HIV-infected cells, flagging them with what is called “suicide gene therapy” - allowing drugs to later target and destroy them.

“If you deplete all of the HIV-infected cells, you can at least partially solve the problem,” said Wang, chemical engineering professor at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering.

The process is analogous to the military practice of “buddy lasing” - that is, having a soldier on the ground illuminate a target with a laser to guide a precision bombing strike from an aircraft

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
Re: Pin Wang targeting HIV
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »
ping
T

Natural Man

• Getbig V
Re: Wang targeting HIV
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 02:52:26 PM »
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/africa-is-giving-nothing-to-anyone--apart-from-aids-1430428.html

Africa Is Giving Nothing To Anyone -- Apart From Aids

By Kevin Myers

Thursday July 10 2008

No. It will not do. Even as we see African states refusing to take action to restore something resembling civilisation in Zimbabwe, the begging bowl for Ethiopia is being passed around to us, yet again. It is nearly 25 years since Ethiopia's (and Bob Geldof's) famous Feed The World campaign, and in that time Ethiopia's population has grown from 33.5 million to 78 million today.

So why on earth should I do anything to encourage further catastrophic demographic growth in that country? Where is the logic? There is none. To be sure, there are two things saying that logic doesn't count.

One is my conscience, and the other is the picture, yet again, of another wide-eyed child, yet again, gazing, yet again, at the camera, which yet again, captures the tragedy of . . .

Sorry. My conscience has toured this territory on foot and financially. Unlike most of you, I have been to Ethiopia; like most of you, I have stumped up the loot to charities to stop starvation there. The wide-eyed boy-child we saved, 20 years or so ago, is now a priapic, Kalashnikov-bearing hearty, siring children whenever the whim takes him.

There is, no doubt a good argument why we should prolong this predatory and dysfunctional economic, social and intimate system; but I do not know what it is. There is, on the other hand, every reason not to write a column like this.

It will win no friends, and will provoke the self-righteous wrath of, well, the self-righteous, letter-writing wrathful, a species which never fails to contaminate almost every debate in Irish life with its sneers and its moral superiority. It will also probably enrage some of the finest men in Irish life, like John O'Shea, of Goal; and the Finucane brothers, men whom I admire enormously. So be it.

But, please, please, you self-righteously wrathful, spare me mention of our own Famine, with this or that lazy analogy. There is no comparison. Within 20 years of the Famine, the Irish population was down by 30pc. Over the equivalent period, thanks to western food, the Mercedes 10-wheel truck and the Lockheed Hercules, Ethiopia's has more than doubled.

Alas, that wretched country is not alone in its madness. Somewhere, over the rainbow, lies Somalia, another fine land of violent, Kalashnikov-toting, khat-chewing, girl-circumcising, permanently tumescent layabouts.

Indeed, we now have almost an entire continent of sexually

hyperactive indigents, with tens of millions of people who only survive because of help from the outside world.

This dependency has not stimulated political prudence or commonsense. Indeed, voodoo idiocy seems to be in the ascendant, with the next president of South Africa being a firm believer in the efficacy of a little tap water on the post-coital joystick as a sure preventative against infection. Needless to say, poverty, hunger and societal meltdown have not prevented idiotic wars involving Tigre, Uganda, Congo, Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea etcetera.

Broad brush-strokes, to be sure. But broad brush-strokes are often the way that history paints its gaudier, if more decisive, chapters. Japan, China, Russia, Korea, Poland, Germany, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in the 20th century have endured worse broad brush-strokes than almost any part of Africa.

They are now -- one way or another -- virtually all giving aid to or investing in Africa, whereas Africa, with its vast savannahs and its lush pastures, is giving almost nothing to anyone, apart from AIDS.

Meanwhile, Africa's peoples are outstripping their resources, and causing catastrophic ecological degradation. By 2050, the population of Ethiopia will be 177 million: The equivalent of France, Germany and Benelux today, but located on the parched and increasingly protein-free wastelands of the Great Rift Valley.

So, how much sense does it make for us actively to increase the adult population of what is already a vastly over-populated, environmentally devastated and economically dependent country?

How much morality is there in saving an Ethiopian child from starvation today, for it to survive to a life of brutal circumcision, poverty, hunger, violence and intimate abuse, resulting in another half-dozen such wide-eyed children, with comparably jolly little lives ahead of them? Of course, it might make you feel better, which is a prime reason for so much charity. But that is not good enough.

For self-serving generosity has been one of the curses of Africa. It has sustained political systems which would otherwise have collapsed.

It prolonged the Eritrean-Ethiopian war by nearly a decade. It is inspiring Bill Gates' programme to rid the continent of malaria, when, in the almost complete absence of personal self-discipline, that disease is one of the most efficacious forms of population-control now operating.

If his programme is successful, tens of millions of children who would otherwise have died in infancy will survive to adulthood, he boasts. Oh good: then what?I know. Let them all come here. Yes, that's an idea.

kmyers@independent.ie

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 02:55:47 PM »
Somebody get in contact with Derek please.

The RedMeatKid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
How about curing breast cancer instead so these innocent women can live? 99% of those with AIDS pretty much knowingly caught it.
(

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 03:06:10 PM »
I think the cure for this disease is probably easier to develop than one would imagine. 

Unfortunately, pharmaceutical companies would not benefit from having a cure introduced to the mass public.  While the millions dying from this is catastrophic, I'm pretty sure those pharma companies are soothing their consciousness all the way to the bank by depending heavily on those infected to take costly, life-long antiretrovirals for treatment.

There are amazing treatments, for a wide variety of diseases, that are already in use all throughout Europe, but the USA does not feel they live up to FDA's standards.

Reminds me of Ibogaine in the treatment of Heroin addiction.  Ibogaine is a drug that can CURE heroin addicts after only administering it once during a 24 hour period.  Instead of using that cheap drug, we instead subject our drug addicts to extensive treatment with Methadone.

Good post 240, CNN hasn't written about this yet,
"1"

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 03:29:54 PM »
I think the cure for this disease is probably easier to develop than one would imagine.  

Unfortunately, pharmaceutical companies would not benefit from having a cure introduced to the mass public.  While the millions dying from this is catastrophic, I'm pretty sure those pharma companies are soothing their consciousness all the way to the bank by depending heavily on those infected to take costly, life-long antiretrovirals for treatment.

There are amazing treatments, for a wide variety of diseases, that are already in use all throughout Europe, but the USA does not feel they live up to FDA's standards.

Reminds me of Ibogaine in the treatment of Heroin addiction.  Ibogaine is a drug that can CURE heroin addicts after only administering it once during a 24 hour period.  Instead of using that cheap drug, we instead subject our drug addicts to extensive treatment with Methadone.

"1"

Not the best models, but if you attack a generation of viroids, even at the consensus sequence, and one viroid happens to escape.  when it replicates via RNA, it produces a generation which is more or less resistant to the regime of drugs, which killed off its' parent generation.  Nothing is 100% in science, so the process continues.    

The protein which attaches to the white blood cells seems promising but i would assume it would completely decimate the host's immume system if he or she were in later stages or near wasting.  You'd have to put the person in a bubble, just to protect them from the simplest infections which would kill them.  And the attaching protein still doesn't attach to the viral wall, so you still have a possibility of viroids surviving treatment and replicating a new resistant generation.    

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »

Unfortunately, pharmaceutical companies would not benefit from having a cure introduced to the mass public.  While the millions dying from this is catastrophic, I'm pretty sure those pharma companies are soothing their consciousness all the way to the bank by depending heavily on those infected to take costly, life-long antiretrovirals for treatment.

Reminds me of Ibogaine in the treatment of Heroin addiction.  Ibogaine is a drug that can CURE heroin addicts after only administering it once during a 24 hour period.  Instead of using that cheap drug, we instead subject our drug addicts to extensive treatment with Methadone.

"1"

Is this opinion based on your scientific training?  Sorry, but it kills me when I hear people say stuff like this.  Do you know anything about virology, biochemistry and molecular biology, or pharmacogenomics?  Leave the science to the scientists.  And fund biomedical research while you are at it.  Funding for graduate education and post-docs in these fields is shamefully low given how important their work is.  The day is coming—and sooner than you think—when you, me, or someone we know and love will be stricken by Alzheimer's, cancer, heart disease, HIV or some other serious malady.  When that happens, you may find yourself wondering why someone, somewhere, some time ago did not make the investment in the research necessary to combat or cure the illness . . . look in the mirror.

Personally, I do not believe that HIV/AIDS will be cured; we are not good a “curing” viruses (the common cold for example) but I am confident that we will develop a vaccine.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
Is this opinion based on your scientific training?  Sorry, but it kills me when I hear people say stuff like this.  Do you know anything about virology, biochemistry and molecular biology, or pharmacogenomics?  Leave the science to the scientists.  And fund biomedical research while you are at it.  Funding for graduate education and post-docs in these fields is shamefully low given how important their work is.  The day is coming—and sooner than you think—when you, me, or someone we know and love will be stricken by Alzheimer's, cancer, heart disease, HIV or some other serious malady.  When that happens, you may find yourself wondering why someone, somewhere, some time ago did not make the investment in the research necessary to combat or cure the illness . . . look in the mirror.

Personally, I do not believe that HIV/AIDS will be cured; we are not good a “curing” viruses (the common cold for example) but I am confident that we will develop a vaccine.

How long do you have left Bay?  :'(

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 03:42:40 PM »

"1"

"Ain't no money in the cure, the money's in the medicine...that's how a drug dealer makes his money, on the comeback."

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »

I do have a solid foundation in Biochemistry & molecular biology.  Aside from my present career, which I embarked upon a decade after getting my first degree (Bachelors of Science with a double major in Chemistry & Biology), I do have a very strong background in science, but decided to not pursue it any further, due to financial restraints and quite frankly, due to my ability to acquire growth in the financial industry much quicker.

Why I have a strong feeling (Surely my opinion) as to the probability of there being a cure around the corner, with just a few years of funding away from realization?  Simple.

One of the key sectors that my investment firm heavily pours money into is pharmaceuticals.  I spent over a year doing intense research on new products that have yet to hit the market in order to possibly persuade the firm I work for to pick one pharma over the other.  One particular company had a select team of scientists that claimed that a cure is very much so possible to obtain, but funding would be necessary (Extensive funding).  I asked them if they were being optimistic and they were frank in saying that they are capable of eradicating other strands of viruses and have ways of replicating their success.

Again, from an investment banker's point of view, I was moved to the point of presenting this information for further evaluation by my superiors.  The resounding theme I received in response to all of my year's worth of work is that if we fund something that provides a cure, we might as well kiss our long term ROI projections goodbye.

After that unfortunate waste of time, I instead was formally placed as the head of Latin American equities for the firm.  Since then, I don't bother with anything pharmaceutical related.

"1"

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 03:45:24 PM »
I do have a solid foundation in Biochemistry & molecular biology.  Aside from my present career, which I embarked upon a decade after getting my first degree (Bachelors of Science with a double major in Chemistry & Biology), I do have a very strong background in science, but decided to not pursue it any further, due to financial restraints and quite frankly, due to my ability to acquire growth in the financial industry much quicker.

Why I have a strong feeling (Surely my opinion) as to the probability of there being a cure around the corner, with just a few years of funding away from realization?  Simple.

One of the key sectors that my investment firm heavily pours money into is pharmaceuticals.  I spent over a year doing intense research on new products that have yet to hit the market in order to possibly persuade the firm I work for to pick one pharma over the other.  One particular company had a select team of scientists that claimed that a cure is very much so possible to obtain, but funding would be necessary (Extensive funding).  I asked them if they were being optimistic and they were frank in saying that they are capable of eradicating other stands of viruses and have ways of replicating their success.

Again, from an investment banker's point of view, I was moved to the point of presenting this information for further evaluation by my superiors.  The resounding theme I received in response to all of my year's worth of work is that if we fund something that provides a cure, we might as well kiss our long term projections ROI goodbye.

After that unfortunate waste of time, I instead was formally placed as the head of Latin American equities for the firm.  Since then, I don't bother with anything pharmaceutical related.

"1"
I hope they find the cure for "Gayness" soon  ;D

G_Thang

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 03:46:40 PM »

You can be a dick (no pun intended), Bay, but are on the money, as far as a HIV cure.  Vaccine to keep it at Bay (no pun intended) is more likely.  People miss that the capsule, attaching arms and consensus sequence are all assembled independently.  The points on Hamming Sequence Spacing Cubes are completely different generations, in which each is resistant to drug regimes which killed off PART of the previous generation. That process is happening millions of times over.  

Are you doing RNA research?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 03:49:41 PM »

You can be a dick (no pun intended), Bay, but are on the money, as far as a HIV cure.  Vaccine to keep it at Bay (no pun intended) is more likely.  People miss that the capsule, attaching arms and consensus sequence are all assembled independently.  The points on Hamming Sequence Spacing Cubes are completely different generations, in which each is resistant to drug regimes which killed off PART of the previous generation. That process is happening millions of times over.  

Are you doing RNA research?
Obviously Magic Johnson has fucking something going on.  That dude has had aids for 20+ years and nothing has happened.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 03:50:36 PM »
By the way 240, the title of the thread is not lost on some of us. lol

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 03:51:52 PM »
I hope they find the cure for "Gayness" soon  ;D

Why? Less competition when it comes to finding women.  8)
D

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »
Obviously Magic Johnson has fucking something going on.  That dude has had aids for 20+ years and nothing has happened.

If I'm not mistaken, while Johnson does have HIV, he hasn't necessarily progressed onto AIDS has he?

That being said, a few years back, I even read that with his healthy lifestyle and constant use of medications, he was able to maintain a T-cell count that was comparable to a completely healthy person with no actual disease.

The treatment of HIV has progressed to the point that folks are able to live with the disease for well over 20-40 years.

If anything, I would be more afraid of the devastating effects of Hep C.

"1"

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 03:57:10 PM »
Viruses induced diseases can't be cured.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 03:58:04 PM »

Do you remember in undergrad General Bio class when your professor said viruses learn not to kill off their host so fast, which increases their chances of transmission to another host? That's a simple way of putting it.

Magic's WBC count is probably pretty normal, 4,000 to 10,000 cells per microliter, but he still has those little boys replicating and putting up a fight against the cocktail of drugs he is on.  Wealth, a good diet and keeping hiim fat and healthy don't hurt either.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 03:58:56 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, while Johnson does have HIV, he hasn't necessarily progressed onto AIDS has he?

That being said, a few years back, I even read that with his healthy lifestyle and constant use of medications, he was able to maintain a T-cell count that was comparable to a completely healthy person with no actual disease.

The treatment of HIV has progressed to the point that folks are able to live with the disease for well over 20-40 years.

"1"

The Homo is correct when it comes to this. I have a cousin who has Hep C and she is always in and out of the hospital.
D

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 04:05:43 PM »

"1"

some fellas are just immuned to hiv,, bodybuilders are actualy in the most immuned group to hiv,, hgh has a lot to do with it ,, never the less magic johnson has money and money in this time and age can help you live normal life till later years 80-90-100,,there is also one group which is hiv resistented,,,this group is a lucky one that the body know how to isolate and fuck up virus before it start its thing...dont know how they do it ,, but fellas in this group rarely get sick....

now reread the posting i wrote about hgh....and fellas never get sick

let me put to you this in simple terms....

if you didnt get sick as in flu ,,cold,, fever,, you know the regular symtoms 99% of the pupulation have,,if you have not got sick in the last 5-10 years you are most likley IMMUNED TO HIV,, now this doeesnt mean you need to go now to middle brazil or mid africa and fuck any whore you see with no condom or with condom lol but! you are most likley immuned to hiv

gh15 approved
fallen angel

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »
Do you remember in undergrad General Bio class when your professor said viruses learn not to kill off their host so fast, which increases their chances of transmission to another host? That's a simple way of putting it.

Magic's WBC count is probably pretty normal, 4,000 to 10,000 cells per microliter, but he still has those little boys replicating and putting up a fight against the cocktail of drugs he is on.  Wealth, a good diet and keeping hiim fat and healthy don't hurt either.

There are many new treatments in the market.  

For instance, folks at the Cleveland Clinic and at New York Presbyterian Hospital have been able to completely eradicate Hep C in patients, prior to a liver transplant after cirrhosis had taken place.

They literally took patients that suffered from Hep C for many years, whose livers had progressed to that of full cirrhosis and eradicated the Hep C completely prior to transplant, thereby allowing these folks to get a new liver, free them of Hep C and thus allow them to resume a normal, healthy life.

Their research showed that if you blasted Hep C with Interferon & Ribavirin prior to transplant to the point where their viral load was practically untraceable and then went ahead with the transplant, they consequently found that a large portion of their patients were cured from Hep C.

Here is a sample video from their main researcher at NYP:

If they can do this for Hep C, again liver transplant aside, there is more than just hope for HIV. 

My firm invests heavily into the pharma companies that distribute both Interferon and Ribavirin, it's just a shame that when I presented the research to them for investment into the company which showed much progress for a viable cure for HIV, they simply felt it was not a lucrative venture in the long run.

"1"

G_Thang

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »
some fellas are just immuned to hiv,, bodybuilders are actualy in the most immuned group to hiv,, hgh has a lot to do with it ,, never the less magic johnson has money and money in this time and age can help you live normal life till later years 80-90-100,,there is also one group which is hiv resistented,,,this group is a lucky one that the body know how to isolate and fuck up virus before it start its thing...dont know how they do it ,, but fellas in this group rarely get sick....

now reread the posting i wrote about hgh....and fellas never get sick

let me put to you this in simple terms....

if you didnt get sick as in flu ,,cold,, fever,, you know the regular symtoms 99% of the pupulation have,,if you have not got sick in the last 5-10 years you are most likley IMMUNED TO HIV,, now this doeesnt mean you need to go now to middle brazil or mid africa and fuck any whore you see with no condom or with condom lol but! you are most likley immuned to hiv

gh15 approved

i guess you didn't want to add Thailand, because it might make some of us think you are DJ.  then again, you stayed away from the DJ thread.  and WTF are talking about?  Burn all my science books after scanning thru this shit.  ;D

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »
i guess you didn't want to add Thailand, because it might make some of us think you are DJ.  then again, you stayed away from the DJ thread.  and WTF are talking about?  Burn all my science books after scanning thru this shit.  ;D

what science? im telling you here fellas on gh not even consistantly ....do nto get sick ,, i m tlelin you here that fellas that i know of quite a few...been going 10 years with out getting sick aside from steroi infections...but this is not sick,, fever out of steroid infection is not getting sick....it is when body fight it and isolat eit ,, im talking flue im talkin common sickness of other people,, FELLA ON GH ,, bodybuilders in general are immuned group,, i believe most bodybuilders are immuned to hiv virus,, again if you use narcotics....and share needle you will get hiv at the end..but i belivee! that bodybuilders are at the epidom of society when it come to health and are IMMUNED TO HIV,,you will hear it in few years after research will go in more detail into the bodybuilder drug regimen

gh15 approved
fallen angel

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
let me ask you this fellas,,

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN BODYBUILDERS,, IM NOT TALKING NARCOTICS ADDICTS THAT IS PART OF BODYBUILDING SADLY,, BUT! HAVE YOU EVER SEEN BODYBUILDER WHO ONLY DO HORMONES...WHO GET SICK? SERIOUSLY ? HAV E YOU EVER SEEN THEM GOING WITH BAD FLU,, OR WITH GOING TO DOC FOR RUNNY NOSE AND SWOLLEN LYMPHS THAT DISTURB THEM TO SWALLOW,, HAVE YOU EVER SEEN BODYBUILDERS WALKING AROUND WITH FEVER AND TAKE A WEEK OFF WORK DUE TO VIRUS THAT HIT THEM ,,

WHEN WAS LAST TIME YOU SAW BODYBUILDER GET SICK? GET SICK IN COMMON SICKNESS OF THE EVERYDAY FELLA,,WHEN?

WE DONT

gh15 approved
fallen angel