Author Topic: ObamaCare goes to the Death Panel - "Got massacred today in the Supreme Court"  (Read 5828 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

MM2K

• Getbig IV
Re: ObamaCare is going down! "Got massacred today in the Supreme Court"
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:58:59 AM »
I just recently decided to myself that this law is unconstitutional.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:00:31 AM »
I just recently decided to myself that this law is unconstitutional.

WTF took you so long? 

No one disputes the right of the govt to regulate commerce, but compelling commerce is something well beyond any historical precedent.   

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »
Excellent, now recovery can start...

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
Excellent, now recovery can start...
Not over till the fat lady sings.....
This could still end badly..... Depends on how much money has changed hands, lol.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 10:12:26 AM »
Administration Admits to Court: Under Obamacare, Select Group Can Get Health Care, Not Pay for It...
CNSNews ^ | March 26, 2012 | Terence P. Jeffrey

(CNSNews.com) - President Barack Obama has justified the mandate in his health-care law that requires individuals to buy health insurance by arguing that it will eliminate free riders—that is, people who get health care (often from emergency rooms) but, lacking insurance, never pay anything back into the health-care system.

"So that's why the individual mandate's important," Obama explained in a speech on Aug. 15, 2011.

"Because the basic theory is, look, everybody here at some point or another is going to need medical care, and you can't be a free-rider on everybody else," said Obama. "You can't not have health insurance, then go to the emergency room, and each of us, who've don the responsible thing and have health insurance, suddenly we now have to pay the premiums for you. That's not fair. So, if you can afford it, you should get health insurance just like you get car insurance."

However, in the Supreme Court on Monday, Justice Samuel Alito forced President Barack Obama’s solicitor general, Donald Verrilli, to admit that under Obamacare these free riders will not be eliminated despite the individual mandate.

For an elite group—including people eligible for Medicaid who don’t sign up for it and people whose health care expenses exceed 8 percent of their income—the Obamacare mandate is no mandate and the penalty is neither a penalty nor a tax because they are not required to pay it, period.

Under Obamacare, Verrilli conceded, these people can continue to receive free health care care, not sign up for health insurance, not sign up for Medicaid, and not pay a penalty.

Here is an exchange that took place during today’s oral arguments in the Supreme Court in which Verrilli explained this part of the Obamacare law:

Justice Sam Alito: Sub-section A says directly, "an applicable individual shall ensure that the individual has the minimum essential coverage." And you are saying it doesn't really mean that, that if you're not subject to the penalty, you're not under the obligation to maintain the minimum essential coverage?

Solicitor General Donald Verrilli: That's correct. And we think that is what Congress is saying, both in the provision I just pointed to, Your Honor, and by virtue of the way -- by virtue of the way the exemptions work. I just think that's the -- reading this in context, that is the stronger reading of the statute.

Chief Justice John Roberts: Suppose it makes it easy for the government to drop the other shoe in the future, right? You have been under the law subject to this mandate all along. You have been exempt from the penalty, so all they have to do is take away the penalty.

Verrilli: I don't -- I don't think so, Mr. Chief Justice. I don't think it makes it easy for the government in the future. We think this is the fairest reading of the statute, that the -- that the -you cannot infer from the fact that someone is exempt from the penalty, that they are still under an obligation to have insurance. That's just not the fairest reading of the statute.

Justice Elena Kagan: Could I--

Alito: I'm sorry, go ahead.

Kagan: The nature of the representation you made, that the only consequence is the penalty, suppose a person does not purchase insurance, a person who is obligated to do so under the statute doesn't do it, pays the penalty instead, and that person finds herself in a position where she is asked the question, have you ever violated any federal law, would that person have violated a federal law?

Verrilli: No. Our position is that person should give the answer "no."

Kagan: And that's because—

Verrilli: That if they don't pay the tax, they violated a federal law.

Kagan: But as long as they pay the penalty—

Verrilli: If they pay the tax, then they are in compliance with the law.

Justice Stephen Breyer: Why do you keep saying tax?

Verrilli: If they pay the tax penalty, they're in compliance with the law.

Breyer: Thank you.

Verrilli: Thank you, Justice Breyer.

Breyer: The penalty.

Verrilli: Right. That's right.

Alito: Suppose a person who has been receiving medical care in an emergency room -- has no health insurance but, over the years, goes to the emergency room when the person wants medical care -goes to the emergency room, and the hospital says, well, fine, you are eligible for Medicaid, enroll in Medicaid. And the person says, no, I don't want that. I want to continue to get -- just get care here from the emergency room. Will the hospital be able to point to the mandate and say, well, you're obligated to enroll?

Verrilli: No, I don't think so, Justice Alito, for the same reason I just gave. I think that the -- that the answer in that situation is that that person, assuming that person -- well, if that person is eligible for Medicaid, they may well not be in a situation where they are going to face any tax penalty and therefore—

Alito: No, they are not facing the tax penalty.

Verrilli: Right, right.

Alito: So the hospital will have to continue to give them care and pay for it themselves, and not require them to be enrolled in Medicaid.

Verrilli: Right.

Alito: Will they be able to take this out and say, well, you really should--you have a moral obligation to do it; the Congress of the United States has said, you have to enroll? No, they can't say?

Verrilli: I do think it's--I think it's certainly fair to say that Congress wants people in that position to sign up for Medicaid. I think that's absolutely right. And I think the statute is structured to accomplish that objective; but, the reality still is that the only consequence of noncompliance is the penalty.

Justice Sonya Sotomayor: General, but I thought the people who were eligible for Medicaid weren't subject to the penalty. Am I wrong? I could be just factually wrong.

Verrilli: Well, it all--the penalty is keyed to income.

Sotomayor: Yes.

Verrilli: And it's keyed to a number of things. One is, are--are you making so little money that you aren't obligated to file a tax return. And if you're in that situation, you are not subject to the penalty. It's also if the cost of insurance would be more than 8 percent of your income, you aren't subject to the penalty. So there—there--there isn't necessarily a precise mapping between somebody's income level and their Medicaid eligibility at the present moment. That will depend on where things are and what the eligibility requirements are in the State.

Sotomayor: But those people below—

Verrilli: But as a general matter, for people below the poverty line it's almost inconceivable that they are ever going to be subject to the penalty, and they would, after the Act's Medicaid reforms go into place, be eligible for Medicaid.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:39:48 AM »
Let's hope so but I don't trust Obama. If it doesn't go, he'll lie, threaten, coerce and go behind the backs of the courts to see this goes through. Obamacare passed because he went behind the backs and behind closed doors without a vote. Even that was unconstitutional but it went through. Like most liberals, he'll lie.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 10:48:17 AM »
Read These Questions, And You'll See Why Today Was A Disaster For Obamacare
Joe Weisenthal | 13 minutes ago | 436 | 4

Today was day 2 in the Supreme Court's 3-day hearing over the constitutionality of Barack Obama's healthcare reform.

Specifically, legal opponents of the law claim that the so-called "individual mandate" which requires everyone to buy health insurance is unconstitutional because the government shouldn't be able to mandate people buy a product.

The verdict from the experts is that today was a disastrous day for the Obama administration, and that the justices took a very hostile line of questioning towards the administration.

Well you don't need to be a legal expert to see why today was such a setback.

The transcripts are available, and right off the bat you can see what's the trouble.

Check out this pivotal question from Justice Kennedy, who is often seen as a "swing vote". Obama almost certainly needs his vote.

JUSTICE KENNEDY: Could you help -- help me with this. Assume for the moment -- you may disagree. Assume for the moment that this is unprecedented, this is a step beyond what our cases have allowed, the affirmative duty to act to go into commerce. If that is so, do you not have a heavy burden of justification? I understand that we must presume laws are constitutional, but, even so, when you are changing the relation of the individual to the government in this, what we can stipulate is, I think, a unique way, do you not have a heavy burden of justification to show

When the court's swing voter is telling you that you have such a heavy burden of justification, that's a problem.

Obama's Solicitor General (the title of the attorney that argues on behalf of the administration at The Supreme Court) Donald Verrilli Jr. answers the question by arguing that healthcare is unique because you need to have insurance before the point of sale... before the point where you're technically entering the market.

Verrilli then faces some hard questioning from Scalia about defining entry and exit from the health insurance market, and he brings up the great broccoli example..

JUSTICE SCALIA: Could you define the market -- everybody has to buy food sooner or later, so you define the market as food, therefore, everybody is in the market; therefore, you can make people buy broccoli.

Verilli then stumbles through an argument about why the food and healthcare market was bad, and you know he stumbled through it because one of the Court's most liberal judges felt the need to come in for a rescue, making his argument for him.

JUSTICE GINSBURG: Mr. Verrilli, I thought that your main point is that, unlike food or any other   market, when you made the choice not to buy insurance, even though you have every intent in the world to self-insure, to save for it, when disaster strikes, you may not have the money. And the tangible result of it is -- we were told there was one brief that Maryland Hospital Care bills percent more because of these uncompensated costs, that families pay a thousand dollars more than they would if there were no uncompensated costs. I thought what was unique about this is it's not my choice whether I want to buy a product to keep me healthy, but the cost that I am forcing on other people if I don't buy the product sooner rather than later.

So there you go. You have the swing vote making a hard argument against the government, and you have a liberal judge trying to resuscitate him by making his argument for him.

Disaster.

For more on what went down today, see here >

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ginsburg-and-kennedy-questions-on-obamacare-2012-3#ixzz1qLAh9Evi

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:50:21 AM »
not a good day for camp romney.   this means he passed and supported for years an UNCONSTITUTIONAL LAW.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »
not a good day for camp romney.   this means he passed and supported for years an UNCONSTITUTIONAL LAW.

10th  Amendment anyone? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 10:57:41 AM »
After Day Two: Justices Skeptical of ObamaCare Constitutionality
Townhall.com ^ | 3/27/2012 | Katie Pavlich

Day two of oral arguments at the Supreme Court have just finished. MSNBC has just reported the Justices were very skeptical when it came to the constitutionality of ObamaCare. The report also said that although the question of “If the government can mandate the purchase of health insurance, can’t it do anything?” is “extremely complicated,” the Justices were not convinced of the argument given by representation in the courtroom arguing the individual mandate isn’t an overreach of federal government power.

More from Judge Andrew Napolitano on Fox News:

"It appears that Justice Kennedy asked some of the most profound and stinking questions of the government."

"Exceedingly sharp questioning."

"I do believe the court will invalidate the individual mandate by a 5-4 vote," adding Justice Kennedy will vote to strike the mandate.

Video: "Trainwreck for the Obama Administration"

Townhall’s Kate Hicks, who was in the courtroom for oral arguments today, will have a report shortly. Stay tuned.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »
Breyer and Kagan are two hard leftists.   

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »

This isn't about Romney and this thread has nothing to do with him. This thread is about OBAMACARE and the court case against OBAMACARE.

Fuck off.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »
Justice Roberts: Can the government make you buy a cell phone?
politico ^ | Marhc 27 2012 | BYRON TAU

Opponents of the individual mandate provision of President Obama's health care law contend that if the government can force you to buy health insurance, its powers of compulsion are virtually unlimited. Chief Justice John Roberts wonders what else Washington can force citizens to buy in this exchange:

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Well, the same, it seems to me, would be true say for the market in emergency services: police, fire, ambulance, roadside assistance, whatever. You don't know when you're going to need it; you're not sure that you will. But the same is true for health care. You don't know if you're going to need a heart transplant or if you ever will. So there is a market there. To -- in some extent, we all participate in it. So can the government require you to buy a cell phone because that would facilitate responding when you need emergency services? You can just dial 911 no matter where you are?

GENERAL VERRILLI: No, Mr. Chief Justice. think that's different. It's -- We -- I don't think we think of that as a market. This is a market. This is market regulation. And in addition, you have a situation in this market not only where people enter involuntarily as to when they enter and won't be able to control what they need when they enter but when they --

(Excerpt) Read more at politico.com ...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 12:31:36 PM »
After Day Two: Justices Skeptical of ObamaCare Constitutionality
Townhall.com ^ | 3/27/2012 | Katie Pavlich

Day two of oral arguments at the Supreme Court have just finished. MSNBC has just reported the Justices were very skeptical when it came to the constitutionality of ObamaCare. The report also said that although the question of “If the government can mandate the purchase of health insurance, can’t it do anything?” is “extremely complicated,” the Justices were not convinced of the argument given by representation in the courtroom arguing the individual mandate isn’t an overreach of federal government power.

More from Judge Andrew Napolitano on Fox News:

"It appears that Justice Kennedy asked some of the most profound and stinking questions of the government."

"Exceedingly sharp questioning."

"I do believe the court will invalidate the individual mandate by a 5-4 vote," adding Justice Kennedy will vote to strike the mandate.

Video: "Trainwreck for the Obama Administration"

Townhall’s Kate Hicks, who was in the courtroom for oral arguments today, will have a report shortly. Stay tuned.

I'm picking an upset and say it goes down 6-3.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »

I'm not sure I follow how you are connecting state mandates with federal mandates, two very different issues.  Mind explaining that further?

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 01:05:20 PM »
Don't kid yourselves.

This will be a 5-4 decision either way. Still too close to call.

Since when do lib justices care about the constitution?

As usual, Kennedy will decide the day. If his questions from the above article are any indication of the outcome, the scales might have tipped in favor of invalidating the Osamacare disaster. Still though, I am not convinced that this one is over.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »
Don't kid yourselves.

This will be a 5-4 decision either way. Still too close to call.

Since when do lib justices care about the constitution?

As usual, Kennedy will decide the day. If his questions from the above article are any indication of the outcome, the scales might have tipped in favor of invalidating the Osamacare disaster. Still though, I am not convinced that this one is over.

I think Roberts is a weaker link than Kennedy after listening to the whole argument today.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »
I was listening to someone on the radio yesterday who was a Constitutional expert and thought the law would be voted down but that the justices could be grilling the dog shit out of the Obama side to see what their defense is and make them prove beyond any doubt that its a legal law.....so they can then vote to maintain the law. It looks like today was very bad for Barry....
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »
http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/03/obamacare-supreme-court-disaster

Libs in panic.  Blaming the messenger vs message!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 01:41:30 PM »
Post a poll on how fast the libs will spin this into a good thing that it gets voted down.....some bs about redoing the law or something.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
Post a poll on how fast the libs will spin this into a good thing that it gets voted down.....some bs about redoing the law or something.

We needed reform, but obamacare is the worst of all worlds.