Author Topic: Martin Bashir - Romney's selective memory on his draft record  (Read 2591 times)

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Martin Bashir - Romney's selective memory on his draft record
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2012, 06:31:57 AM »
Hahaha surely he "longed" for war ::)

This guy is the biggest pussy ever imagine him as pres

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2012, 06:36:25 AM »
Hahaha surely he "longed" for war ::)

This guy is the biggest pussy ever imagine him as pres

it's okay to not want to fight in a war.  Every man has his own opinion.

But claiming he LONGED for it is pretty disingenuous.

Also, his participation in pro-war rallies at college before the war, and anti-war rallies after the war... which is it?

Bad enough ya go hide in France - bad enough you claim you had war lust when you did paperwork 4 times to dodge it...
But to attend rallies for both sites?  Eh...

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2012, 06:39:16 AM »
it's okay to not want to fight in a war.  Every man has his own opinion.

But claiming he LONGED for it is pretty disingenuous.

Also, his participation in pro-war rallies at college before the war, and anti-war rallies after the war... which is it?

Bad enough ya go hide in France - bad enough you claim you had war lust when you did paperwork 4 times to dodge it...
But to attend rallies for both sites?  Eh...

He is a nut. Seriously Repub voters should take a deep hard look in the mirror.
Politicians lie but this guy lies about EVERYTHING
I doubt he even knows who he is anymore

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2012, 07:12:29 AM »
He is a nut. Seriously Repub voters should take a deep hard look in the mirror.
Politicians lie but this guy lies about EVERYTHING
I doubt he even knows who he is anymore

I think they know Romney sucks.  They said it for 6 years.  he bought his way to the nomination.

now they have to decide - do they want to settle for 4 more years of gridlock with a repubs senate/congress, where nothing gets done?

OR

Do they 'settle' for RINO Romney, knowing it'll be EIGHT years until we have another conservative in the white house, at least?

Tough call there.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2012, 07:25:51 AM »
Not really

Obama and Romney = pretty much the same

But..

Obama is a killer on foreign policy and he has some charisma and he doesnt want to give more tax breaks for the uber-rich. Also he is respected in Europe and feared in the middle-east.

Romney is weak and pathetic imagine him representing our country to the world?
First the retard Bush and now the coward flip-flopper Romney.

The US will be an embarresment to the world again with this guy

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2012, 07:26:47 AM »
Romney left USA during vietnam, using 4 deferrments so he could live in a French castle.

I hope he doesn't plan on lecturing Obama on military anything lol...

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2012, 07:28:16 AM »
Romney left USA during vietnam, using 4 deferrments so he could live in a French castle.

;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2012, 07:31:18 AM »

And I'll make it clear I'm NOT criticizing Romney for using deferments - many people did.  They didn't want to lose a leg fighting a war started on the Gulf of Tonken lie so companies could get rich.

That was romney's choice - he did leave the USA and go live in a castle located in france.  Fact.  Missionary work, yep.  Getting frenchies to pray > Fighting communism.  But I don't fault him for it.

NOW - When he says he "longed" for war to appeal to the military voters, that's some stone cold bullshit. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2012, 07:53:07 AM »
well wrong again one is about campaign promises which all politicians make and the other is about romney lieing about his personal life,hey but nice try

exactly and to the large extent Obama has commented on those statements

If he were to act like Romney he would say he had closed Gitmo or he would pretend he never said such a thing

both responses would leave us shaking our head in disbelief just like we do when Romney won't back down and doubles down when telling a blatant lie

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
Here's the full Michael Kranish article, courtesy of the "SomethingAintFunny" blogsite:

Mormon church obtained Vietnam draft deferrals for Romney, [and] other missionaries

By Michael Kranish, Globe Staff  |  June 24, 2007

As the Vietnam War raged in the 1960s, Mitt Romney received a deferment from the draft as a Mormon "minister of religion" for the duration of his missionary work in France, which lasted two and a half years.

Before and after his missionary deferment, Romney also received nearly three years of deferments for his academic studies. When his deferments ended and he became eligible for military service in 1970, he drew a high number in the annual lottery that determined which young men were drafted. His high number ensured he was not drafted into the military.

The deferments for Mormon missionaries became increasingly controversial in the late 1960s, especially in Utah, leading the Mormon Church and the government to limit the number of church missionaries who could put off their military service. That agreement called for each church ward, or church district, to designate one male every six months to be exempted from potential duty for the duration of his missionary work.

Romney's home state was Michigan, making his 4-D exemption as a missionary all but automatic because of the relatively small number of Mormon missionaries from that state. It might have been more difficult in Utah, where the huge Mormon population meant that there were sometimes more missionaries than available exemptions. Most missions lasted two and a half years, as Romney's did.

Barry Mayo, who was counselor to the bishop of the ward in Pontiac, Michigan, where Romney attended church, recalled in an interview that wards were allowed to exempt one missionary every six months from the draft. He said that he could not recall any time in which more than one potential draftee sought an exemption in the ward in a six-month period, so Romney's deferment was never in doubt.

"I was aware of the fact that there was an agreement of some sort of between the church and the Selective Service because there were some wards mostly in the West where the congregation was large and the number of youth was large," Mayo said. "The circumstances were very different here. Our congregation was small and the number of youth were small. To the best of my knowledge we never had a situation where we had more than two young men wanting to go in any one year... So I don't believe that we ever had to discourage someone from going on a mission because he was above that two-per-year limit."

Mayo said no records are available from the period that would show how Romney's deferment was handled. But he said he recalled "the conclusion was `we really don't have to worry about [exceeding the quota] because we were never in that situation.' "

By serving as a missionary and being given the deferment, Romney ensured that he would not be drafted from July 1966 until February 1969. Romney's draft record from the time describes him as "minister of religion or divinity student." Mayo said the church would have considered Romney a minister.

Romney, who has said he would have served if he had been drafted, shed some light on his view of the matter in a recent interview with the Globe.

"I really don’t recall thinking about political positions when I was knocking at the door in France" as a missionary, Romney said. "I was supportive of my country. I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam."

At the same time, Romney said, he was influenced by the statement of his father, then-Michigan Governor George W. Romney, who said in 1967 that he had been "brainwashed" by US officials about Vietnam. "When my dad said that he had been wrong about Vietnam and that it was a mistake and they had been brainwashed and so forth, I certainly trusted him and believed him," Romney said.

The exemption for Mormon missionaries created controversy at the time. Non-Mormons in Utah filed a lawsuit against the federal government in 1968. The suit was still in court two years later, at a time when "the church and the Selective Service System work hand-in-hand in deferring the missionaries," according to an article from the period published by The New York Times.

Richard Leedy, the lawyer who brought the suit, said in a telephone interview that he did so because "the substantial number of deferments to missionaries made the likelihood of us non-Mormons going to Vietnam a lot more likely."

Separately, Romney's draft service was deferred due to his status as a full-time student for about three years.

Romney registered with the Selective Service in April 1965 but was not considered readily available for military service until December 1970. His name was then put into the lottery based on an individual's birthday, and he drew the number 300 at a time when no one drawing higher than 195 was drafted.

"When Governor Romney's deferment for college and missionary service ended, he made himself available for military service, and his name went into the lottery, but he was not selected," Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom said via e-mail.

how on earth do you and BB think this makes it ok? lol

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »

Because they would eat shit if it came from the ass of the repub nominee

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2012, 08:39:08 AM »

and they would insist it's really chocolate ice cream or maybe rocky road

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »

and they would insist it's really chocolate ice cream or maybe rocky road

Now, THIS is a laugh, coming from the kneepadder squad, dredging up all manner of foolishness hoping that nobody notices how SORRY their beloved Messiah (Mr. I'll-put-on-a-pair-of-comfortable-shoes-and-march-on-the-picket-lines-with-you-as-president).

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2012, 09:16:04 AM »
Now, THIS is a laugh, coming from the kneepadder squad, dredging up all manner of foolishness hoping that nobody notices how SORRY their beloved Messiah (Mr. I'll-put-on-a-pair-of-comfortable-shoes-and-march-on-the-picket-lines-with-you-as-president).

of course you would ignore that it's shit and insist it ice cream

just the same way you ignore my MANY criticisms and dissapointments with Obama and my almost CONSTANT criticism of Dems and pretend instead that I'm a kneepadder

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2012, 09:25:55 AM »
of course you would ignore that it's shit and insist it ice cream

just the same way you ignore my MANY criticisms and dissapointments with Obama and my almost CONSTANT criticism of Dems and pretend instead that I'm a kneepadder

No one needs to pretend you're a kneepadder.

That's why you're reduced to dredging up this non-story, about Romney's missionary work. The funny part is, we get to watch this fail, just like the war on women, the Ann-Romney-never-worked debacle, Bully-Gate, Dog-Gate, and Bain Capital.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2012, 09:28:29 AM »

Yes i just love Obama and think he is the second coming of christ ::)

I know its hard to grasp but most of the people are adults and doesnt believe in fairy-tales and doesnt need anyone to save us.

Please post when you reach adulthood like the rest of us

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2012, 09:30:44 AM »

Because all of this mess is foolishly trying to paint Romney as a "draft-dodger". If you actually ENTER THE DRAFT (which Romney did), you can't be a "draft-dodger".

MSNBC and the AP also falsely implied that Romney's father pulled some strings to get him deferments. That's been shot down as well.

At the end of the day, this drivel isn't going to help Obama's floundering campaign (which is pretty much the whole purpose of this old issue being resurrected).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2012, 09:33:03 AM »
Yes i just love Obama and think he is the second coming of christ ::)

I know its hard to grasp but most of the people are adults and doesnt believe in fairy-tales and doesnt need anyone to save us.

Please post when you reach adulthood like the rest of us

You're late to the party, when it comes to adulthood. And as far as "fairy tales" go, that would be your ridiculous attempt to paint Obama as a tough guy, claiming that Romney wouldn't have made the call to get Bin Laden. RICHARD SIMMONS would have made that call, had Bin Laden been in his sights.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2012, 09:33:39 AM »
Because all of this mess is foolishly trying to paint Romney as a "draft-dodger". If you actually ENTER THE DRAFT (which Romney did), you can't be a "draft-dodger".

MSNBC and the AP also falsely implied that Romney's father pulled some strings to get him deferments. That's been shot down as well.

At the end of the day, this drivel isn't going to help Obama's floundering campaign (which is pretty much the whole purpose of this old issue being resurrected).

Yes poor rich Romney all that time in France just longing to kill gooks ;)

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2012, 09:37:21 AM »
You're late to the party, when it comes to adulthood. And as far as "fairy tales" go, that would be your ridiculous attempt to paint Obama as a tough guy, claiming that Romney wouldn't have made the call to get Bin Laden. RICHARD SIMMONS would have made that call, had Bin Laden been in his sights.

All right last try.

I posted a clip ealier with RP and Romney debating. Romney starts rambling about lawyers and RP makes him look like a fool. Add that to a man who doesnt even know who he is and you got a scared little soul who cant make these decisions.

A man who needs to rely on lawyers do you really think he would order a mission even his advvisors told him not too?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »
No one needs to pretend you're a kneepadder.

That's why you're reduced to dredging up this non-story, about Romney's missionary work. The funny part is, we get to watch this fail, just like the war on women, the Ann-Romney-never-worked debacle, Bully-Gate, and Bain Capital.

way to prove my point on your willful delusion

My criticism of Obama and Dems is well documented on this board andI didn't dredge up this story or start this thread

I merely commented that Romney is a patholigical liar and seems to be proud of being a liar

kind of odd for a fundie but then again maybe it's a requirement of being a fundie

I guess when your'e a fundie you start by lying to yourself and then lying to everyone else is a piece of cake

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2012, 09:43:22 AM »

All right last try.

I posted a clip ealier with RP and Romney debating. Romney starts rambling about lawyers and RP makes him look like a fool. Add that to a man who doesnt even know who he is and you got a scared little soul who cant make these decisions.

A man who needs to rely on lawyers do you really think he would order a mission even his advvisors told him not too?

Going after Bin Laden was the biggest no-brainer there was. Even the SEALS said as much. But, why listen to them.

Who cares about Ron Paul, who got SMOKED by Romney at nearly every primary held? How many did he win again....That's right!! ZERO!!!

But, thanks for reminding me that the "he-wouldn't-have-gone-after-Bin-Laden" spiel was among the FAILED routines, used to de-rail Romney with the ultimate goal of helping Obama.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »
Going after Bin Laden was the biggest no-brainer there was.

Agreed.

Romney opposed going into pakistan to get bin laden, remember?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2012, 09:55:15 AM »
Going after Bin Laden was the biggest no-brainer there was. Even the SEALS said as much. But, why listen to them.

Who cares about Ron Paul, who got SMOKED by Romney at nearly every primary held? How many did he win again....That's right!! ZERO!!!

But, thanks for reminding me that the "he-wouldn't-have-gone-after-Bin-Laden" spiel was among the FAILED routines, used to de-rail Romney with the ultimate goal of helping Obama.

Yes thats why Bush didnt do it ::)

And his advisors advised him NOT to go into Pakistan but Obama did so anyway

Whereas Romney starts talking about lawyers.

Seriously cant you see the difference?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2012, 10:11:20 AM »
Agreed.

Romney opposed going into pakistan to get bin laden, remember?

NOPE!! What Romney said was that it's going to take more than getting Bin Laden to put an end to Al-Qaeda. He did NOT say he would not go into Pakistan to get Bin Laden.

It’s wrong for a person running for the president of the United States to get on TV and say, “We’re going to go into your country unilaterally.” Of course, America always maintains our option to do whatever we think is in the best interests of America. But we don’t go out and say, “Ladies and gentlemen of Germany, if ever there was a problem in your country, we didn’t think you were doing the right thing, we reserve the right to come in and get them out.” We don’t say those things. We keep our options quiet.

I think, I wouldn’t want to over-concentrate on Bin Laden. He’s one of many, many people who are involved in this global Jihadist effort. He’s by no means the only leader. It’s a very diverse group—Hamas, Hezbollah, al-Qaeda, Muslim Brotherhood and of course different names throughout the world. It’s not worth moving heaven and earth and spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person. It is worth fashioning and executing an effective strategy to defeat global, violent Jihad and I have a plan for doing that.”

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2012/05/romney-obama-campaign-ad-bin-laden.html#ixzz1xh6jM44O