Author Topic: Manual labor advices, is this an oil pressure/sending unit?  (Read 2585 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Manual labor advices, is this an oil pressure/sending unit?
« on: September 07, 2014, 10:45:07 AM »
how do i take it off, theres electrical wire coming out of the top but cant veiw how its rigged in there, there is a small nut on bottom of it, i belive this is an oil sending unit on my oil 87 suburban was leaking oil like hell yesterday. is it easy to take out?

at the bottom at the goldish looking part there is one nut i see i can undo i think, im guessing after i undo this nut maybe the oil sending unit will drop down and then i can see how to take out the wires correct?
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Manual labor advices, is this an oil pressure/sending unit?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 11:16:18 AM »
how do i take it off, theres electrical wire coming out of the top but cant veiw how its rigged in there, there is a small nut on bottom of it, i belive this is an oil sending unit on my oil 87 suburban was leaking oil like hell yesterday. is it easy to take out?

at the bottom at the goldish looking part there is one nut i see i can undo i think, im guessing after i undo this nut maybe the oil sending unit will drop down and then i can see how to take out the wires correct?
You need to first clean the engine as best as you can so you can see where any leaks are coming from.  You don`t want to just go in blindly because you will just break something or waste your time.  Start with an engine wash.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »
You need to first clean the engine as best as you can so you can see where any leaks are coming from.  You don`t want to just go in blindly because you will just break something or waste your time.  Start with an engine wash.
i actually saw it leaking from the oil sending unit, im just trying to get little tricks of the trade when it comes to removal of this, it might be a simple 10 min job
A

Deacon Jeschin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:50 AM »
If you don't want to do the engine wash (which is a good idea), you could disconnect the wire you think goes to the pressure sending switch.  Turn the key (or start the engine) on then to see if the light comes on.  If it does.....you have the wrong wire.  :)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
If you don't want to do the engine wash (which is a good idea), you could disconnect the wire you think goes to the pressure sending switch.  Turn the key (or start the engine) on then to see if the light comes on.  If it does.....you have the wrong wire.  :)
i have near zero oil pressure, i can only access the bolt hopefully an automotive neegar will chime in
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »
ideal for fucking if you somehow can manage to get her dependent on your cash or free rides to they store
A

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 12:45:49 PM »

An oil pressure sensor will go into an oil galley. Its really hard to see frm that picture, but that could be a coolant temp sensor, it looks more like its going into a water jacket area of the block moreso than an oil galley.

You see the threads with a hex head just before the 90* angle where the unit goes into the block? Itll seperate there. Id unscrew it from the fitting that goes into the block if it needs to be replaced. If you can get a better pic showing where exactly it goes into the block i can be of more help.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
An oil pressure sensor will go into an oil galley. Its really hard to see frm that picture, but that could be a coolant temp sensor, it looks more like its going into a water jacket area of the block moreso than an oil galley.

You see the threads with a hex head just before the 90* angle where the unit goes into the block? Itll seperate there. Id unscrew it from the fitting that goes into the block if it needs to be replaced. If you can get a better pic showing where exactly it goes into the block i can be of more help.
Thats what I was thinking as well.  I couldn`t really see anything definitive with that picture.  I still think his leak is probably elsewhere and that he is really going to waste his time here.

You gotta give us more info Marty.  What happened exactly and what is the history of this car?

the trainer

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »

I never did any manual labor in my life and I dont plan to, if I need something fixed I pick up the phone and call somebody.

THE ARS

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Don't be a fucking moron.  I will give you my 200% money back guarantee their is not a decent mechanic on earth that shaves his armpits.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/

You'll find more manual dexterity on a Brony forum than this place.

Good luck.

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 09:15:16 PM »

Get a Manual for your car. A Chilton, Haynes, or Bentley.  See if your local library has a copy.  Look up oil pressure in the index.  Follow the instructions.  I like the Bentley manuals the best.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 06:28:24 AM »
Get a Manual for your car. A Chilton, Haynes, or Bentley.  See if your local library has a copy.  Look up oil pressure in the index.  Follow the instructions.  I like the Bentley manuals the best.
already wasted my money on one of these they give some directions and pictures half the time, i got a haynes
A

Novena

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »
Like I said, I like the Bentley manuals the best.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
If your oil sending unit is leaking then your oil pressure gauge would be acting erratically.

Check your gauge first.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »
If your oil sending unit is leaking then your oil pressure gauge would be acting erratically.

Check your gauge first.
yes it was kinda jumpin around and stuff near the zero mark. the fucknuts at autozone some peice of shit mexican and black lady had no fucking clue what the part was after i showed them the pic on my phone. i was like damn yall need to get your shit together you should know your parts working at a place like this  ::)
A

Novena

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 10:03:41 PM »
You need to look up the part number.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 12:10:20 AM »
yes it was kinda jumpin around and stuff near the zero mark. the fucknuts at autozone some peice of shit mexican and black lady had no fucking clue what the part was after i showed them the pic on my phone. i was like damn yall need to get your shit together you should know your parts working at a place like this  ::)
Can you get a better pic showing the sensor going into the block? More square on to the engine block if possible so we can see if its going into a water jacket or oil galley.

On a small block chevy, most times the temp sensor is on the side of the block by an exhaust manifold.

The oil psi many times comes out the top/rear of the block, behind the intake manifold on the china rail. It can theoretically also be on the lower passenger side in a galley coming out of the oil filter area, or on the front of the block where the galleys feed up to the cam bearings (older style SBCs had an oil psi idiot light from there)

Anyway, i think that part that youre looking at is a temp sensor mr falcon, but i need a better pic to be sure.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 07:11:12 AM »

Johnny Paintcan, yes, this is an oil pressure switch.  The black canister is threaded into the brass riser.  The brass riser is threaded into the block.  Which piece is leaking? 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 04:36:09 PM »
Johnny Paintcan, yes, this is an oil pressure switch.  The black canister is threaded into the brass riser.  The brass riser is threaded into the block.  Which piece is leaking? 
Thats the million dollar question.  I bet he has a leak in another location in addition.

Novena

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 05:27:08 PM »
Thats the million dollar question.  I bet he has a leak in another location in addition.

Usually it will be gaskets.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 05:28:30 PM »
the black cansiter the thing that looks like a black cylanderish pyramid is leaking how do i dismantle this?
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 05:29:36 PM »
Usually it will be gaskets.
valve cover gaskets are fine but im sure they will go bad eventually as well
A

Novena

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 05:45:31 PM »
the black cansiter the thing that looks like a black cylanderish pyramid is leaking how do i dismantle this?

Drain crankcase, look in your Haynes for the proper size wrench, Because it is inverted like that, turn clockwise.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 05:48:31 PM »
Drain crankcase, look in your Haynes for the proper size wrench, Because it is inverted like that, turn clockwise.
whats a crankcase how/ where to drain it , is it referred to a crankcase or by another name in the haynes manual?, do you mean drain the oil from the oil pan (probably not but im not a carxpert)

personally i think if im lucky i can just take this fucking thing out without having to take other shit out before hand but we shall see i just dont want to ruin threads or some shit
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 05:56:14 PM »
whats fucked up is there is no mention of an oil pressure switch in my haynes manual this is fucking bullshit, how does an amature like me spot an error in a professional manual for mechanics  ::)

i have the haynes manual for 1967-1987 chevy what in the got damn fuck
A