Author Topic: 2014 Olympia - Mr. Olympia Athlete Check-in's Wednesday evening  (Read 16889 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: 2014 Olympia - Mr. Olympia Athlete Check-in's Wednesday evening
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2014, 03:21:15 PM »

Phils forearm is bigger than Dennis bicep.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: 2014 Mr Olympia Athlete Check-in!
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »
I'm not passionate about this enough to continue. Didn't intend to upset you, DP. Enjoy the O.

I'm not upset, so no worries ;) I just try to explain that you're comparing an apple with an orange.
Yeah, I hope that the 'O life stream is working this time in Europe, thanks and have a good weekend as well :)

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »
Sunken cheeks of peace, rami brought it

x2 ramy brought it today. I have him at third.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
Have we seen Wolf's face yet? I'm curious what it might reveal about this year's calves situation.

Here's a shot of Wolf's calves taken this morning at the gym. I think we can all agree that he's improved tremendously!

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
He dropped six pounds the same day as weigh in. He will fill back up.
You know he will. Flex always comes in right.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2014, 09:41:17 PM »
Here's a shot of Wolf's calves taken this morning at the gym. I think we can all agree that he's improved tremendously!

It's like a whole different dude.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong

IronMeister

• Getbig IV
  • Übermacht
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2014, 06:40:16 AM »

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2014, 07:19:33 AM »
GIMME A F*ING BREAK! IS THAT OUR GETBIG-LEGEND FROM A FEW YEARS AGO?? :D

IronMeister

• Getbig IV
  • Übermacht
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2014, 07:26:36 AM »

;D HAHA! wider than heath...

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2014, 07:32:03 AM »

Getbig name of that permabulking truck driver?

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2014, 07:43:47 AM »
Athlete, A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.

I would like to know where bodybuilders dont fit in here. Many people dont consider bodybuilders athletes because on the day of the comp. we dont race jump or swing a bat. All of strength, agility and endurance a bodyuilder does is off the stage. Competitve bodybuilders are the most dedicated athletes to their sport no questions asked.

HA....you funny bastard  ;D

"After bench pressing this weight with the aid of Trenbolone....I feel my agility and endurance has greatly improved. Time to cut for contest"

Want to know what agility and endurance looks like? go 3x3 minute round in the boxing ring against someone else, as a bodybuilder you will get the shock of your life how hard it is.

As for endurance, it took me 6 months to get ready for an Olympic triathlon race to finish it comfortably (the word comfortable is used loosely). If I jumped from the gym to the race I would have drowned in the 1.5k swim leg.

Bodybuilders are the least agile and have the least endurance of all sports.
S

Beckenbauer

• Getbig II
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2014, 08:11:43 AM »
Here is a prime example of a bodybuilders agility, balance  :D

BodyConnoisseur

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • focused
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2014, 12:44:58 PM »

"After bench pressing this weight with the aid of Trenbolone....I feel my agility and endurance has greatly improved. Time to cut for contest"

Want to know what agility and endurance looks like? go 3x3 minute round in the boxing ring against someone else, as a bodybuilder you will get the shock of your life how hard it is.

As for endurance, it took me 6 months to get ready for an Olympic triathlon race to finish it comfortably (the word comfortable is used loosely). If I jumped from the gym to the race I would have drowned in the 1.5k swim leg.

Good for you? That doesn't redact any of the work we put in.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »
Here is a prime example of a bodybuilders agility, balance  :D

I wouldn't call Rich a 'bodybuilder'..

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »
You didn't answer my question. What is athletic about it? I've been in and around this industry for years and competed in it, my wife is a former pro as well (she turned down her card and retired) and neither of us consider bodybuilding either a sport or athletic.
categorizing shit under terminology is real fucken stupid in the first place, why are you even discussing what it falls under?. A 3 year old that kicks a ball falls under the category of ''athlete'' so yes bodybuilders would too, albeit not even remotely close to the degree of a soccer player or any sport like football or basketball but either way there is a physical strain involved and the body must be conditioned physically so yes it does fall under the definition of ''athlete'' at a very small degree, at the end of the day ''who gives a fuck what it is? WTF does that change? Your an idiot for arguing about it and a fucken bigger idiot for comparing it to miss USA

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »

no one is arguing the degree of athleticism it is or lack of, obviously not comparable to major sports, triatholons or any Olympic sport but like I said a 3 year old who kicks a ball in the field once would fall under the category of athlete by definition.

What you guys are debating is do to comparing to major sports you are really not debating in terms of actual ''definition'' of the term ''athlete'' because if you were you are wrong.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2014, 03:39:24 PM »
categorizing shit under terminology is real fucken stupid in the first place, why are you even discussing what it falls under?. A 3 year old that kicks a ball falls under the category of ''athlete'' so yes bodybuilders would too, albeit not even remotely close to the degree of a soccer player or any sport like football or basketball but either way there is a physical strain involved and the body must be conditioned physically so yes it does fall under the definition of ''athlete'' at a very small degree, at the end of the day ''who gives a fuck what it is? WTF does that change? Your an idiot for arguing about it and a fucken bigger idiot for comparing it to miss USA

Dude, you're as angry at him over this than me and my tirade against Mooslems. Should be a cool weekend for you, lighten up, pal.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »
Dude, you're as angry at him over this than me and my tirade against Mooslems. Should be a cool weekend for you, lighten up, pal.
FUCKEN HELL NO  >:( >:( >:(

no one fucks with bodybuilding on OLYMPIA weekend  :D ;)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »
"Athletes"?  Not hardly but any that would claim as much is plainly out of their mind stupid.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »
http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/bodybuildingfaq/f/bodybuild_sport.htm

Question: Bodybuilding FAQ - Is Bodybuilding a Real Sport and Are Bodybuilders Athletes?

Is Bodybuilding a Real Sport and Are Bodybuilders Athletes?

Answer:

by Lee Labrada

Bodybuilding great Rick Wayne once asked me if I thought that bodybuilders were athletes. Now, Rick is a long time bodybuilder, and knowing Rick’s penchant for liking to mischievously stir things up, I think that he was trying to get a reaction out of me. But occasionally, I find myself in a situation where I have to defend the sport that helped to catapult me to success.

Why all the misconceptions about bodybuilders? I think it’s due to just plain old-fashioned thinking. Unfortunately, many of the old stereotypes of bodybuilding have been slow to dispel. Notions like:

1) Bodybuilding will make you slow.

2) Bodybuilding will make you muscle-bound and inflexible.

3) Muscle turns to fat after you stop working out.

4)Working out is bad for your heart.

5) Bodybuilders are all stupid, arrogant, etc. The list goes on.

Although the public is way more educated about weight training (I like to call it bodybuilding!) than ever before, bodybuilding is still waging an uphill battle to prove itself as a legitimate sport with legitimate athletes. In order to settle this argument, let’s take a look in the dictionary.

Definition of the Word Athlete

The American Heritage Dictionary defines the word athlete as “a person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, or endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.”

The way I see it, if a bodybuilder doesn’t at the very least possess “strength and endurance necessary for physical exercise,” I don’t know what other kind of athlete does! If you have any doubts, next time you’re in your gym, find the biggest bodybuilder in sight and challenge him to see who can lift the heaviest weights for the longest period of time. And by the way, make it worth his time... bet him a couple of hundred bucks or as much as you feel comfortable parting with.

Definition of the Word Bodybuilder

Let’s now examine the word bodybuilder. A bodybuilder is defined as “a person who develops the musculature of the body through specific types of diet and exercise, such as weightlifting, especially for competitive exhibition.” It is logical to me that studying this definition, you would arrive at the assertion that a bodybuilder is indeed an athlete; a bodybuilder develops his musculature through diet and exercise, and to do this successfully, he must possess “the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, or endurance necessary for this physical exercise.” That meets Webster’s definition of an athlete.

By the way, if you will re-examine the definition of bodybuilder, you will see that it also contains the words “especially for competitive exhibition.” This is the only part of the definition that I am not in total agreement with. To me, this term should be broadened to include anyone using weight training to change the shape of his/ her body. In light of this, competitive bodybuilders like me would only constitute a small part of the total universe of bodybuilders.

Professional Athletes and Bodybuilding

It is a well-known fact that professional athletes of all kinds use weight training (bodybuilding) to improve their strength and performance at their sport. Not all bodybuilders are good athletes, but most good athletes are bodybuilders to a smaller or larger degree. I believe that if you were to examine those elite athletes who possess “staying power” in their sport year after year, the one consistent factor in their preparations would be bodybuilding (you can call it resistance training or weight training if it makes you feel better.)

Lee Labrada's Final Veredict

My conclusions? Bodybuilding is the foundation sport for all sports. And yes, bodybuilders are athletes. And if anyone ever makes the mistake of telling me I’m not an athlete, they’re in for an earful!

Stay motivated and keep training hard.
X

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »
http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/bodybuildingfaq/f/bodybuild_sport.htm

Question: Bodybuilding FAQ - Is Bodybuilding a Real Sport and Are Bodybuilders Athletes?

Is Bodybuilding a Real Sport and Are Bodybuilders Athletes?

Answer:

by Lee Labrada

Bodybuilding great Rick Wayne once asked me if I thought that bodybuilders were athletes. Now, Rick is a long time bodybuilder, and knowing Rick’s penchant for liking to mischievously stir things up, I think that he was trying to get a reaction out of me. But occasionally, I find myself in a situation where I have to defend the sport that helped to catapult me to success.

Why all the misconceptions about bodybuilders? I think it’s due to just plain old-fashioned thinking. Unfortunately, many of the old stereotypes of bodybuilding have been slow to dispel. Notions like:

1) Bodybuilding will make you slow.

2) Bodybuilding will make you muscle-bound and inflexible.

3) Muscle turns to fat after you stop working out.

4)Working out is bad for your heart.

5) Bodybuilders are all stupid, arrogant, etc. The list goes on.

Although the public is way more educated about weight training (I like to call it bodybuilding!) than ever before, bodybuilding is still waging an uphill battle to prove itself as a legitimate sport with legitimate athletes. In order to settle this argument, let’s take a look in the dictionary.

Definition of the Word Athlete

The American Heritage Dictionary defines the word athlete as “a person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, or endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.”

The way I see it, if a bodybuilder doesn’t at the very least possess “strength and endurance necessary for physical exercise,” I don’t know what other kind of athlete does! If you have any doubts, next time you’re in your gym, find the biggest bodybuilder in sight and challenge him to see who can lift the heaviest weights for the longest period of time. And by the way, make it worth his time... bet him a couple of hundred bucks or as much as you feel comfortable parting with.

Definition of the Word Bodybuilder

Let’s now examine the word bodybuilder. A bodybuilder is defined as “a person who develops the musculature of the body through specific types of diet and exercise, such as weightlifting, especially for competitive exhibition.” It is logical to me that studying this definition, you would arrive at the assertion that a bodybuilder is indeed an athlete; a bodybuilder develops his musculature through diet and exercise, and to do this successfully, he must possess “the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, or endurance necessary for this physical exercise.” That meets Webster’s definition of an athlete.

By the way, if you will re-examine the definition of bodybuilder, you will see that it also contains the words “especially for competitive exhibition.” This is the only part of the definition that I am not in total agreement with. To me, this term should be broadened to include anyone using weight training to change the shape of his/ her body. In light of this, competitive bodybuilders like me would only constitute a small part of the total universe of bodybuilders.

Professional Athletes and Bodybuilding

It is a well-known fact that professional athletes of all kinds use weight training (bodybuilding) to improve their strength and performance at their sport. Not all bodybuilders are good athletes, but most good athletes are bodybuilders to a smaller or larger degree. I believe that if you were to examine those elite athletes who possess “staying power” in their sport year after year, the one consistent factor in their preparations would be bodybuilding (you can call it resistance training or weight training if it makes you feel better.)

Lee Labrada's Final Veredict

My conclusions? Bodybuilding is the foundation sport for all sports. And yes, bodybuilders are athletes. And if anyone ever makes the mistake of telling me I’m not an athlete, they’re in for an earful!

Stay motivated and keep training hard.

great post

NOW GET OVER IT DICKHEADS, BODYBUILDERS BY DEFINITION ARE ATHLETES.

Are they as athletic as other athletes? obviously not, they are athletes on the lowest scale but still athletes.  :P

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »
Phils forearm is bigger than Dennis bicep.

Dennis looks great for being a 40 plus retired pro though.