Author Topic: Any Metal Guitarists in here?  (Read 6535 times)

MikMaq

Re: Any Metal Guitarists in here?
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 09:26:49 AM »
That is true if you only want make some noise. If you really want to learn how to play, it is futile to buy crappy instrument, because training will be even harder. It will never be on tune, it will never sound right, the neck is too thick to handle and if you try to do a setup for that darn thing it will go to pieces  ;D
Yawn this broscience on guitars is almost bad as the bro science on working out.
Things that matter on a guitar. Is the intonation proper. Does the neck fit to the shape of your hands(huge deal for most people I think matters more than almost anything else).
Are the tuners and action properly set up. The guitar should stay in tune unless the tuners are shit, or the neck is a piece of shit.
Keep up on replacing the strings.And pay attention to what kind of pic you use, and where you play from.

Learn something about acoustics, and understand what an eq is. Don't assume that a good tone by yourself, works well with a band it almost never does. Realize must guitarists are fucking clueless about tone.

MikMaq

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 09:28:19 AM »

Most musicians just need to decide on their goals as early as possible.  I wanted to be a guitarist in hottest band around, did that for a few years.  I wanted to 'go corporate', did that.  I wanted to do duos and solos, did that.  But I wasted too much time along the way being indecisive.
I'm really curious what you mean by that?

To me there is nothing worst than a musicians that can only play one song(one genre).

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 09:36:27 AM »
Buy a guitar that fits your hands and your body - looks are important... buy a used one of higher quality.
When you have more money buy a custom made guitar... if you love playing, custom made may provide THE guitar for you.
Be very careful about technique... alternate picking done the wrong way in the long run may seriously harm your elbow.
Be patient and let your own take on things develop.
And....

squat and oatz!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 09:43:29 AM »
I'm really curious what you mean by that?

To me there is nothing worst than a musicians that can only play one song(one genre).

I just meant if a person wants to be a working musician.  They should say "I want to do XYZ" and study, work, practice and attain that.  It's not too hard.  Then decide if they like that world/role/situation, then move on to the next goal. 

personally, I spent too much time waffling between the two to really become amazing at either.  Once I committed to guitar, I quickly became very strong and my band rose.   

For just learning purposes, you're totally right... jam with R&B, bluegrass, zeppelin and mozart daily for ultimate skill set development.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 09:53:56 AM »
I just meant if a person wants to be a working musician.  They should say "I want to do XYZ" and study, work, practice and attain that.  It's not too hard.  Then decide if they like that world/role/situation, then move on to the next goal. 

personally, I spent too much time waffling between the two to really become amazing at either.  Once I committed to guitar, I quickly became very strong and my band rose.   

For just learning purposes, you're totally right... jam with R&B, bluegrass, zeppelin and mozart daily for ultimate skill set development.

What do you think of these guys, 240?

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:27 AM »
Got an LTD MH-350FR STBLK which comes standard with EMG pickups, neckthrubody, plays well, probably as a beginner you don't want to have a guitar with a floating bridge though, since they're a bit of a hassle to tune and keep in tune (or atleast that's always been my experience). For that reason I've always prefered to play and practice on my Ibanez ART-320TGB, goodlooking and relatively cheap guitar, had mine for 7 years now, and still looks/plays well. (If I still played I would be able to go into more detail haha). Should be able to buy around the $300 mark, probably cheaper, has active pickups.

The LTD:

The ART:

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 10:04:10 AM »
What do you think of these guys, 240?

not my cup of tea, but great musicianship and it'll always have its audience. 

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 10:04:31 AM »
I play a little.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 10:42:37 AM »
Just picked this up from GC

http://m.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-JS32T-Rhoads--Electric-Guitar-109144816-i3104025.gc

I demo'd this one vs a ibanez 200 dollar one, and this jackson sounded so much heavier and cleaner

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 10:55:03 AM »
Im pretty new to playing, but i think I need an upgrade on my electric guitar. The lower strings rattle and sound pretty cheap

I still have an old Samick junker from when i was like 13. Want to upgrade but not sure what i should be spending? I want to get a good one for metal type playing, something i can palm mute on easily, etc. Do i need to concern myself with active vs passive pick ups?

Been looking at Ibanez guitars in the 200-400 dollar range

Experience level : i can play power chords and basic chord change ups, still learning strumming techniques as i think this is actually the hardest.

I like Jacksons, but there's also Caparisons, Ibanez and ... Gibsons are pretty cool, and also function as proper grownup guitars once you hit 40 and get bored of shredding haha

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
  • DC Comics Pro and TEAM MUSCLECENTER
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 11:26:57 AM »
I got an old Ibanez "Joe Satriani" model from the late 90s..... I'm not any better than 20 years ago (sad) when I was in high school.  And I was pretty decent back then, being able to play most rhythm sections of Metallica (fairly easy) to Megadeth and Pantera....a few slower solos, but not much else :(   Life took over.  Just bought an amp a few months ago to try to get back into it. 

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 11:34:04 AM »
T

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 11:41:21 AM »

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
I play a little.

Spill the beans - having to listen to the Dolph Lundgren of electric shock therapy for nearly two pages is way too much.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 12:01:36 PM »
;D
;D

Spill the beans - having to listen to the Dolph Lundgren of electric shock therapy for nearly two pages is way too much.

Bahahaha!

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 01:39:05 PM »
MAYBE IF YOU GET THIS GUY GUITAR YOU COULD PLAY AS GOOD AS HIM !!! ;D

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2015, 02:13:22 PM »
MAYBE IF YOU GET THIS GUY GUITAR YOU COULD PLAY AS GOOD AS HIM !!! ;D

Rather buy an ESP and shred  ;D

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2015, 03:02:11 PM »
These guys are ok but their no Lucid Delusion

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2015, 03:27:24 PM »
Personaly id say  the smiths are the best
A

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2015, 05:56:07 PM »
I wanted to get a Dimebag Darrell guitar but rediculously over
priced....bought a Les Paul instead.

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 07:25:59 PM »
go on craigslist or ebay and pick up an LTD mh350nt, I had one for a while and it was great. Theyre about 5-600 bucks new, which puts them in your budget if you buy used.

x2 on schecters, I've had 2 schecter 7 strings and I love my current one, a c7 hellraier hybrid. it has the new 57/66 active EMG pickups which I really like, slim satin finish neck and ebony fretboard.

I'd stay away from the active pickups until you get more proficient, and by that point you may find you like the passives more. the LTD I mentioned before had the 81/85 EMG combo in, but I swapped the 85 to the bridge and it chunked up my sound a lot without sounding muddy. I was playing that thru a laney ironheart head in C standard and my god it was a brutal combo. I just dont get on with 6s anymore I have to play 7 string guitars because the neck is just so comfortable width wise for my hands.

Ibanez is solid I suppose but I've heard nothing but good about the Jackson JS series of guitars. I had a Jackson at one point too, a made in japan pro series dinky that I really liked. I hated the bolt on construction though it was the only caveat I had with it.

Go fixed bridge for sure, trems are useless on guitars in your budget. a basic tune o matic string thru body set up is ideal for metal playing.

overall id grab a used LTD 300 or 400 series guitar, make sure its made in indonesia not china. The neck will be comfy- slim but not overly thin, it will be finished nicely and feel rock solid. Good pickups too, usually EMG or seymour duncans depending on the model. I like the horizon shape the most, but the eclipse is a fantastic guitar too, and EC401 is a solid guitar for the money. if you can find a good deal on a korean made schecter thats also a great choice. I like the banshee series and the hellraiser series a lot. the banshees come with active or passive pickups,, your choice, and locking tuners and low profile hipshot bridges (GREAT BRIDGE take it from a guy who loved his tunomatics for years).
Dont buy from guitar center either. That place sells used guitars as new. Ive seen off the shelf fenders with scratches all over the pickguard cus some kid came in and played green day and metallica for 2 hours with a crappy pick. speaking of picks, try the jazz 3's. great pick for metal.

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 07:27:43 PM »
and oh god dont get a damn dean or bc rich

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2015, 07:37:08 PM »
Its not the guitar its the man behined it  >:(
A

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2015, 09:04:56 PM »
and oh god dont get a damn dean or bc rich
x20

Again, the metal phase will pass and when it does you'll be embarrassed as hell about a dean/bc rich

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2015, 04:38:47 AM »
go on craigslist or ebay and pick up an LTD mh350nt, I had one for a while and it was great. Theyre about 5-600 bucks new, which puts them in your budget if you buy used.

x2 on schecters, I've had 2 schecter 7 strings and I love my current one, a c7 hellraier hybrid. it has the new 57/66 active EMG pickups which I really like, slim satin finish neck and ebony fretboard.

I'd stay away from the active pickups until you get more proficient, and by that point you may find you like the passives more. the LTD I mentioned before had the 81/85 EMG combo in, but I swapped the 85 to the bridge and it chunked up my sound a lot without sounding muddy. I was playing that thru a laney ironheart head in C standard and my god it was a brutal combo. I just dont get on with 6s anymore I have to play 7 string guitars because the neck is just so comfortable width wise for my hands.

Ibanez is solid I suppose but I've heard nothing but good about the Jackson JS series of guitars. I had a Jackson at one point too, a made in japan pro series dinky that I really liked. I hated the bolt on construction though it was the only caveat I had with it.

Go fixed bridge for sure, trems are useless on guitars in your budget. a basic tune o matic string thru body set up is ideal for metal playing.

overall id grab a used LTD 300 or 400 series guitar, make sure its made in indonesia not china. The neck will be comfy- slim but not overly thin, it will be finished nicely and feel rock solid. Good pickups too, usually EMG or seymour duncans depending on the model. I like the horizon shape the most, but the eclipse is a fantastic guitar too, and EC401 is a solid guitar for the money. if you can find a good deal on a korean made schecter thats also a great choice. I like the banshee series and the hellraiser series a lot. the banshees come with active or passive pickups,, your choice, and locking tuners and low profile hipshot bridges (GREAT BRIDGE take it from a guy who loved his tunomatics for years).
Dont buy from guitar center either. That place sells used guitars as new. Ive seen off the shelf fenders with scratches all over the pickguard cus some kid came in and played green day and metallica for 2 hours with a crappy pick. speaking of picks, try the jazz 3's. great pick for metal.

Thanks bro for writing this. I am glad you said the JS line from jackson because thats exactly what I got. V shaped JS32T. Sounded soooo much better at GC than the 200 dollar ibanez ones. I do notice the V shape makes it semi difficult to play while sitting but its super fun. Your post was like spot on to everything the sales rep at GC told me about the bridges, active pick ups, etc