Author Topic: Any Metal Guitarists in here?  (Read 6534 times)

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
Any Metal Guitarists in here?
« on: January 07, 2015, 06:32:53 AM »
Im pretty new to playing, but i think I need an upgrade on my electric guitar. The lower strings rattle and sound pretty cheap

I still have an old Samick junker from when i was like 13. Want to upgrade but not sure what i should be spending? I want to get a good one for metal type playing, something i can palm mute on easily, etc. Do i need to concern myself with active vs passive pick ups?

Been looking at Ibanez guitars in the 200-400 dollar range

Experience level : i can play power chords and basic chord change ups, still learning strumming techniques as i think this is actually the hardest.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Re: Any Metal Guitarists in here?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:05:19 AM »
An ibanez in the price range you mentioned or a little more would be a good fit for what you describe.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:07:09 AM »
Ibanez are decent in that range like you mentioned. (I have a Ibanez bass and guitar, both around 300.00 and very good instruments).
For any tips, please PM YngwieRhoades or Marty Champions... Both epic players...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 07:12:36 AM »
DYXLEXIC POSTER HERE IS A MANIAC,,INCREDIBLE...

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 07:35:11 AM »
Can you play an Emajorminor9 chord?

Look it up... impress your friends.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 07:44:25 AM »
Thanks niggaz, ill check them out. Active vs passive hook ups? Is a certain type of bridge best for palm mute strumming?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 07:45:13 AM »
ibanez or esp ltd
T

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 07:51:33 AM »
Thanks niggaz, ill check them out. Active vs passive hook ups? Is a certain type of bridge best for palm mute strumming?
active takes batteries, get a hot wound passive.

Ps in 5 years you will.regret the metal phase altogether.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 08:00:02 AM »

Ive been into music since i was in middle school. Im a lover of rap, folk, mo town, soul, metal. Prrtty much anytthing dark and depressing. Misfits, dio, sabbath, manowar, etc. i get chills from certain riffs and lyrics.

This shit gives me chills
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CMnGGtab8Eo

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 08:00:16 AM »

the metal phase will give him a nice foundation in theory.   If he eventually ends up playing Tom Petty songs in a biker bar for $135 a night, being able to move from major to minor and doing some decent little guitar runs will serve him well.  I grew up with Vinnie Moore tab videos, I still use it all the time while playing Natalie Imbruglia, acoustic looping with leads, in the naples marriott lobby.  

Ibanez is fine for those goals... but make your 2nd guitar a Parker Fly.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 08:01:59 AM »
Im pretty new to playing, but i think I need an upgrade on my electric guitar. The lower strings rattle and sound pretty cheap

I still have an old Samick junker from when i was like 13. Want to upgrade but not sure what i should be spending? I want to get a good one for metal type playing, something i can palm mute on easily, etc. Do i need to concern myself with active vs passive pick ups?

Been looking at Ibanez guitars in the 200-400 dollar range

Experience level : i can play power chords and basic chord change ups, still learning strumming techniques as i think this is actually the hardest.

1. All guitars under 600$ are crap in different ways, so try to find used one which fit in your price range. I have never seen guitar which is a. cheap b. good c. stays in tune d. playable.

2. Upgrading is for those who know what they are doing, because you need to know what parts to change, how and WHY. Furthermore, if you want to change pickups, you need to know how to install them and how to use soldering tools.

So, if you want a guitar which is good and easy to play, which have killer sound and which you don't need tune every fucking minute, you need to use little more money. Everything else is a waste of time and energy, because with crappy guitars training is tiresome. Go for the Japanese Ibanez, not Korean build one, those have very good price/quality- ratio.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=12&_nkw=ibanez+555&_frs=1

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 08:02:45 AM »
Phase? Bro ive been into music since i was in middle school. Im a lover of rap, folk, mo town, soul, metal. Prrtty much anytthing dark and depressing. Misfits, dio, sabbath, manowar, etc. i get chills from certain riffs and lyrics.

I played a solo gig last night...  it was 8:55pm, last song of the night, tiki hut gig, and this older couple was there.   I was killing time with the 4 chords from "Fade to Black" by Metallica, on loop with some pretty leads.  You know, sneaking in stuff I love, making it sound pretty for background dining.  They jumped up and had a slow dance to it.  I ended up faking the entire song then playing that Bm solo outro as they slow danced away.  They were so happy, slow dancing to Metallica.   They looked like every other older couple in a restaurant... they heard chord #1 of the song and jumped up "Metallica!"   LOL

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »
1. All guitars under 600$ are crap in different ways, so try to find used one which fit in your price range. I have never seen guitar which is a. cheap b. good c. stays in tune d. playable.

Metal is the only genre where a $199 ibanez, stacked with enough crap distortion and overdrive, can be "good enough" for learning and playing at home.  I have an Ibanex RGB? series from back in 7th grade, still plays perfect for that purpose.

You can't play LIVE with it, just too tinny, but nobody is going to go out and see a metal band anyway, until you're big enough to afford a nicer axe.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »

Little secret for you to know: Active takes batteries only if you keep cord plugged all the time, because the plug is the power switch. I replace the battery to my active bass not more than yearly ;D

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 08:11:54 AM »
I played a solo gig last night...  it was 8:55pm, last song of the night, tiki hut gig, and this older couple was there.   I was killing time with the 4 chords from "Fade to Black" by Metallica, on loop with some pretty leads.  You know, sneaking in stuff I love, making it sound pretty for background dining.  They jumped up and had a slow dance to it.  I ended up faking the entire song then playing that Bm solo outro as they slow danced away.  They were so happy, slow dancing to Metallica.   They looked like every other older couple in a restaurant... they heard chord #1 of the song and jumped up "Metallica!"   LOL

Haha awesome man i love it! I play Misfits Halloween alot, so fun and easy to play and brings back memories of being a hessian wanna be as a teen

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 08:22:59 AM »
Schecter makes some nice stuff. Look into the c1-classic (if they still make them), beautiful guitars, play great. $700 in 2007. Two humbuckers with coil splits so when you get over the metal shit you'll have single coil like sounds. String through body with through body neck, great sustain. Grover tuners.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 08:33:29 AM »
Metal is the only genre where a $199 ibanez, stacked with enough crap distortion and overdrive, can be "good enough" for learning and playing at home.  I have an Ibanex RGB? series from back in 7th grade, still plays perfect for that purpose.

You can't play LIVE with it, just too tinny, but nobody is going to go out and see a metal band anyway, until you're big enough to afford a nicer axe.

That is true if you only want make some noise. If you really want to learn how to play, it is futile to buy crappy instrument, because training will be even harder. It will never be on tune, it will never sound right, the neck is too thick to handle and if you try to do a setup for that darn thing it will go to pieces  ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 08:39:46 AM »
That is true if you only want make some noise. If you really want to learn how to play, it is futile to buy crappy instrument, because training will be even harder. It will never be on tune, it will never sound right, the neck is too thick to handle and if you try to do a setup for that darn thing it will go to pieces  ;D

true.  After years of buying ibanez, then washburn, then ephphone les paul knockoff, then actual les paul studio... I finally graduated to Parker Fly.  Now it's the only guitar i ever want to play.  If he's a beginner though, not sure if he'll stick with it, a $199 ibanez works.  By the time he's good enough to appreciate the flaws in his instrument, he's commited enough to buy a $1500 instrument.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 08:47:39 AM »
true.  After years of buying ibanez, then washburn, then ephphone les paul knockoff, then actual les paul studio... I finally graduated to Parker Fly.  Now it's the only guitar i ever want to play.  If he's a beginner though, not sure if he'll stick with it, a $199 ibanez works.  By the time he's good enough to appreciate the flaws in his instrument, he's commited enough to buy a $1500 instrument.

i thought you played bass 240

or guitar for ham fisted retards as i call it  :D
T

thebigman

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 08:53:02 AM »
Something like the new Ibanez RG421EX would be good:

http://www.gear4music.es/en/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-RG421EX-Electric-Guitar-Black-Flat/15Y2

The fixed bridge is good for palm muted playing and also means the guitar should stay in tune better than some others. Also, this guitar has a fast neck and high output humbuckers.

I wouldn't bother with active pickups in the $200-400 range. A good EMG-81 and EMG-60 would cost about $200 on their own.

TBM.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »
i thought you played bass 240
or guitar for ham fisted retards as i call it  :D

I started playing guitar in 7th grade.  By 9th grade i was playing with little garage bands.  I only moved to bass at age 18 because I wanted to gig.  Everyone played guitar, nobody played bass. So I could pick and choose bands and gig nonstop, even though I usually pwned the lead guitarist of the band I was in, on guitar.  

These days, it's corporate gigs at wedding, ritz on bass/vocals, and solo/duo work at nicer clubs on acoustic guitar.   I flirt with electric lead guitar again, but late nights, ugh.  

I'd recommend guitarists learn bass too.  Opens up plenty of work and you can always push out the existing guitarist from a band when you feel like it ;)

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »
Back in the day I had a Charvel, Guild, Strat and an Ibanez.

Out  of all of them the Ibanez had the best action and the
Floyd Rose never went out of tune..

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »

How many feet were they from the stage?

MikMaq

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 09:11:48 AM »
Little secret for you to know: Active takes batteries only if you keep cord plugged all the time, because the plug is the power switch. I replace the battery to my active bass not more than yearly ;D
This I got three active bass's( I think) and haven't changed the batteries in them in quite a while. Granted I play mostly unplugged(semi acoustics etc)

I started playing guitar in 7th grade.  By 9th grade i was playing with little garage bands.  I only moved to bass at age 18 because I wanted to gig.  Everyone played guitar, nobody played bass. So I could pick and choose bands and gig nonstop, even though I usually pwned the lead guitarist of the band I was in, on guitar. 

These days, it's corporate gigs at wedding, ritz on bass/vocals, and solo/duo work at nicer clubs on acoustic guitar.   I flirt with electric lead guitar again, but late nights, ugh. 

I'd recommend guitarists learn bass too.  Opens up plenty of work and you can always push out the existing guitarist from a band when you feel like it ;)
I  sorta play both, would play guitar more however I have little interest in most rock music these days, much rather play katy perry songs on bass or any other shit, than to pretend to care about most rock music.

Jazz classical,fusion and experimental shit got my interest right now. I think Im gonna start playing upright, once I find a place where Ican actually practice it. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 09:15:56 AM »
How many feet were they from the stage?

those old wireless units said they would reach 250 feet, by samson, I think.  They never did.  150 feet at best.  Less reliable than a Ferguson PD's sense of distance.

This I got three active bass's( I think) and haven't changed the batteries in them in quite a while. Granted I play mostly unplugged(semi acoustics etc)
I  sorta play both, would play guitar more however I have little interest in most rock music these days, much rather play katy perry songs on bass or any other shit, than to pretend to care about most rock music.

Jazz classical,fusion and experimental shit got my interest right now. I think Im gonna start playing upright, once I find a place where Ican actually practice it. 

Most musicians just need to decide on their goals as early as possible.  I wanted to be a guitarist in hottest band around, did that for a few years.  I wanted to 'go corporate', did that.  I wanted to do duos and solos, did that.  But I wasted too much time along the way being indecisive.