Author Topic: Obama to float the idea of more "free shit" at the state of the union  (Read 5161 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-proposes-idea-two-free-years-community-college-012142866.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama wants to make two years of community college free and universally available, a proposal he said on Thursday he would flesh out in his State of the Union speech later this month.

White House officials acknowledged the plan would come with a significant price tag but declined to disclose projected costs, saying those details would come in Obama's budget on Feb. 2.

"Put simply, what I'd like to do is to see the first two years of community college free for everybody's who is willing to work for it," Obama said in a video message released by the White House.

The idea would require the Republican-controlled Congress to pass legislation so that the federal government could pay for 75 percent of tuition, with participating state governments having to pick up the rest of the tab.

I wonder if he realizes that it really isnt free and will only serve to increase the cost of college, probably not as economics isnt his best area

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Re: Obama to float the idea of more "free shit" at the state of the union
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 08:19:27 PM »
 ::)

Hooray! Two years of free community college. That will fix everything.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 08:22:24 PM »
'Free'  ::)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »
Awesome, so taxes can go towards some dumbass nig nog going to disrupt a classroom of students.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 08:46:29 PM »
Awesome, so taxes can go towards some dumbass nig nog going to disrupt a classroom of students.

I believe the politically correct term is pavement ape.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 09:45:50 PM »
I believe the politically correct term is pavement ape.

Whhhhoooooo!!!   So going to steal that.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 06:40:10 AM »
Ridiculous reasoning of income inequality. Guess Obama saw that blacks have the highest default rates for student loans and didn't want to burden them with debt obligations.  ::) Regardless of income students are approved for a loan through Sallie Mae. Only loan that requires a credit check is a Plus loan. 

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 06:54:11 AM »
I don't think the word "free" means what he thinks it means.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 09:26:05 AM »
I don't think the word "free" means what he thinks it means.

I get ya. But as long as the intended recipient is not paying, then it's free in his eyes.  :-X

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 09:26:53 AM »
I think its an awesome idea.
A

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
I think its an awesome idea.

What makes it a good idea?

It's not. He already screwed up health care. First, school costs are already inflated. Plus, students are already approved for loans to attend school through the government. A price ceiling on community college tuition rates for first year students would have helped rather than just giving the seats away. Those that attend school that pay for it themselves have a better appreciation of the work they put in and wish to get out of it.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 11:50:33 AM »

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »
sort of ... "if you like your health insurance you can keep it..."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »
Who is going to pay for this?

I doubt this happens anyway, because Congress has to pass legisla . . .

Never mind.   :-\

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 01:39:43 PM »
wouldn't surprise me one bit to see congress go along with this pandering crap.

Obama just nailed down 5 million new Dem voters with amnesty.
Now he wants another 3-4 million new "college freshman" votes.  Super. 

He keeps on giving out free shit, getting more and more people on the government teet. And nobody will impeach his ass.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 01:54:53 PM »

You say some of the most naïve, uninformed stuff I've ever heard.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 02:56:05 PM »
You say some of the most naïve, uninformed stuff I've ever heard.

LOL @ you defending obama on amnesty.  After you defended amnesty.

You're a rino dude.  And the base repubs, they're starting to see you're just as bad as a liberal.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 03:12:58 PM »
People who want the government to pay for their education should enlist in the Army. Pay their dues, learn respect, honor, responsibility.
Ask not what their country can do for them but what they can do for their country. Ridiculous.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 03:18:55 PM »
LOL @ you defending obama on amnesty.  After you defended amnesty.

You're a rino dude.  And the base repubs, they're starting to see you're just as bad as a liberal.

lol.  You are a lying liar. 

How exactly did you calculate "5 million new Dem voters"?  I assume you and your family (all Obama voters) are included that five million. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 03:19:30 PM »
People who want the government to pay for their education should enlist in the Army. Pay their dues, learn respect, honor, responsibility.
Ask not what their country can do for them but what they can do for their country. Ridiculous.

I agree. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 03:48:14 PM »
Networks Push 'Free Community College,' No Interest in Actual Cost
By Scott Whitlock | January 9, 2015

All three networks on Friday hyped Barack Obama's call for "free community college," but CBS, NBC and ABC offered very little skepticism about the cost or feasability of such a proposal. Instead, Today news reader Natalie Morales sounded like a press release, enthusing, "Relief could be on the way for college students facing skyrocketing tuition costs. President Obama said Thursday night that he would like to see the first two years of community college free for everybody who is willing to work for it."

Earlier, she murmured, "Community college for free?" On CBS This Morning, Bill Plante just regurgitated why this announcement was a good move for the White House: "The idea behind laying this out today is to preview the State of the Union message, which is designed to propose alternatives to the agendas of the Republican-controlled Congress."

It wasn't until the very end of the segment that Plante quickly offered what should be an important point: "But so far the administration is not saying what this would cost."

Instead, he included two clips of Barack Obama talking up the vague proposal in a Facebook video. It was only on ABC's Good Morning America that Amy Robach noted, "Critics say such a plan is almost impossible politically, especially with no specific price tag." But that segment was only 23 seconds.

Today offered two reports amounting to 46 seconds. The best Morales could do was to explain, "Administration officials didn't provide many details about where the money would come from..."

It's not as though there aren't questions to ask. Forbes.com offered a few:

Will direct federal funding compel community colleges to improve? Free college proponents have argued that since the feds are kicking in money directly, they’ll have more power to push community colleges to get better. This seems to be the thought process behind the requirement that colleges adopt “promising evidence-based institutional reforms” (which sounds an awful lot like Race to the Top).

The assumption here is that the feds will be able to drive community college improvement if they hold the purse strings. Again, I’m skeptical. To be sure, policymakers could conceivably control tuition prices through funding formulas and fiat. But they will have a much more difficult time ensuring that institutions provide a quality education at the price they charge. The federal Title 1 program in K-12 has struggled to improve underperforming public schools, even with the expansive accountability provisions of No Child Left Behind.

Will federal bureaucrats have an easier time raising student achievement in community colleges?

“Free tuition” won’t change how much it costs to deliver higher education, which will continue to increase. A public option would change who pays for higher education, but not necessarily how much it costs to provide it. Economists argue that traditional higher education is like other service industries: because the product consists of interaction with highly educated labor in small groups, it is difficult to raise productivity. As wages rise in the rest of the economy, colleges must pay employees more even though their output doesn’t increase, leading to higher costs.

Simply shifting who pays the bill will do little to change the bill itself. So while additional federal investments might cover the cost of a free public option today, those same sums won’t go as far next year or the year after unless colleges also make changes to their cost structure. Taxpayers would have to foot an increasingly large bill.

CNN on Friday didn't cover the new proposal, but Un Nuevo Dia on the Spanish language channel Telemundo did. Host Nedia Sandoval echoed the American reports, promoting "Meanwhile, President Barack Obama announced he's working on a proposal which will permit that the Community Universities of higher education will be free for those who are willing to work for it in the United States."

A transcript of the January 9 CBS This Morning segment is below:

7:13

CBS GRAPHIC: Free Community College? Obama Plan Aims to Provide Two Years of Tuition

NORAH O'DONNELL: President Obama will announce a plan this morning for free community college. The goal is to make college, college education, more assessable. The proposal is a preview of this months' State of the Union. It would use a combination of federal and state funding to cover the first two years for costs for many students. Bill Plante is at the White House with the plan. Bill, good morning.

BILL PLANTE: Good morning. Well, the President unveils this today in Tennessee where – is a state is already committed to the idea. To do this nationally would take legislation and approval from the Republican-led Congress and the White House knows that's a high hurdle. But the President is pitching the idea as a pathway to college education.

BARACK OBAMA: Put simply, what I'd like to do is see the first two years of community college free for everybody's who's willing to work for it.

PLANTE: The White House is hoping to ease the financial burden cost of college tuition for an estimated nine million students. The proposal would wave the first two full years of tuition for full-time and half-time students who maintain at least a 2.5 grade point average. The Department of Labor says people with a two year degree earn about $20,000 more per year than those with only a high school diploma. Almost 90 percent of Tennessee high school seniors have applied to a new program called Tennessee Promise, which would cover tuition for those applying to community or tech colleges. The state says they have received over 57,000 applications. One of the requirements, eight hours of community service before classes begin.

BILL HASLAM: Tennessee will be the very first state in the country to make that guarantee to its people.

PLANTE: Tennessee's Republican Governor Bill Haslam says the state will use an estimated $34 million a year from federal aid and lottery sales to pay for it. The White House proposal says that federal funding will cover three quarter of the average cost for students and that states will pick up the rest of the tab.

BARACK OBAMA: It's something that we can accomplish and it's something that will train our work force so we can compete with anybody in the world.

PLANTE: The idea behind laying this out today is to preview the State of the Union message, which is designed to propose alternatives to the agendas of the Republican-controlled Congress. But so far the administration is not saying what this would cost.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2015/01/09/networks-push-free-community-college-no-interest-actual-cost#sthash.4eI9PIxI.dpuf

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 10:42:50 PM »
::)

Hooray! Two years of free community college. That will fix everything.

FNG retarted
What makes it a good idea?

wouldn't surprise me one bit to see congress go along with this pandering crap.

Now he wants another 3-4 million new "college freshman" votes.  Super. 

Call it a very shrewd investment in society. The states need to up the endowments in their state universities as well.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 11:22:11 PM »
How exactly did you calculate "5 million new Dem voters"?  I assume you and your family (all Obama voters) are included that five million. 

Obama Goes It Alone, Shielding Up To 5 Million Immigrants From Deportation
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/11/20/365519963/obama-will-announce-relief-for-up-to-5-million-immigrants

FIVE MILLION.   And the motherfvckers have been BREAKING THE LAW just by being here, so as criminals, they will vote democrat.

What about this don't you understand?   ???