Author Topic: Steve Reeves  (Read 13142 times)

bigmc

• Getbig V
Steve Reeves
« on: March 11, 2015, 08:03:41 AM »
I get the argument about bloated bellies ruining the sport

but why on earth is Steve Reeves rolled out

guy looks like an average gym rat with a good looking face

ive never got this hero worship shit with him  ???
T

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: Steve Reeves
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 08:07:18 AM »
You have to put him in context , yes people looks similar to him nowadays , how about in 1947?

guy was 6'1" with a 29" waist he had a crazy taper and proportions , even to this day.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:11:01 AM »
Grimek > Reeves for the era -

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 08:13:44 AM »
Grimek > Reeves for the era -

i agree way more impressive

reeves is just a homoerotic male pin up
T

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:17:17 AM »
Reminds me when younger people talk about the Beatles. I hear younger people say they were terrible but when you ask who they liked in rock prior to the Beatles they come up with nothing. They don't realize all their rock heroes from Led Zep, The Stones, The Who and so many more learned rock playing Beatles songs. In truth they were the best band of all time.

This is the same with Steve Reeves. Who looked like that in the 40's and 50's? To this day if he was at a beach walking down the boardwalk foot traffic would stop and jaws would drop in his perfection with movie star looks. If a top 10 Olympia did the same he would be greeted with laughter and call outs about steroids.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »
i agree way more impressive

reeves is just a homoerotic male pin up

That is not Grimek. That is Jack LaLanne.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 08:20:27 AM »
 :)

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 08:21:34 AM »

ah ok

ive seen pics of grimek though bigger and more ripped than reeves
T

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 08:23:31 AM »
Even Arnold "rolled out" Steve Reeves' name, as a great example of bodybuilding excellence. Once, bodybuilding was a Beauty Pageant, now it's an Ugly Pageant.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 08:23:34 AM »

Beat me to it lol

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 08:26:02 AM »
Grimek beating Reeves.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 08:26:45 AM »

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 08:44:03 AM »
^^
YES, 100% good catch!!!  John was much bigger!

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »
 :o -

Indeed, I grabbed the wrong shot -

also -

Others of the era that were better -

Clancy Ross -

Dan Laurie -

George Paine -

Eiferman -

Only thing Reeves had over a lot of guys was the height, and for some the face.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 08:53:06 AM »
:o -

Indeed, I grabbed the wrong shot -

also -

Others of the era that were better -

Clancy Ross -

Dan Laurie -

George Payne -

Eiferman -

Only thing Reeves had over a lot of guys was the height, and for some the face.

What Reeves had over all of them was perfect proportions , none of those guys could match. The closest was Reg Park

Chest 52″

Thighs 26″

Arms 18.5″

Neck 18.5″

Calves 18.5″

Waist 29″

Height 6′ 1″

Weight 215

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 08:54:42 AM »
if thatphysique is an "average gym rat"  then by God I hope I can be average this summer.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 09:01:04 AM »
I've been in gyms for over 40 years and I never seen anyone built like Reeves.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 09:04:26 AM »
if thatphysique is an "average gym rat"  then by God I hope I can be average this summer.

I kinda get what they're saying that He's 6'1" 215lbs not that impressive but it's the proportions & shape that sets Reeves apart from everyone else. 6'1" weighing 215lbs with a 29" waist that's insane! 52" and arms , neck and calves all measuring the exact same. Those measurements are exceptional even to this day.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 09:05:25 AM »
Reg park was a beast

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 09:08:09 AM »
it probably doesn't mean much to you younger guys but Reeves will be talked about for a LONG time to come, long after we're all gone..

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
Reminds me when younger people talk about the Beatles. I hear younger people say they were terrible but when you ask who they liked in rock prior to the Beatles they come up with nothing. They don't realize all their rock heroes from Led Zep, The Stones, The Who and so many more learned rock playing Beatles songs. In truth they were the best band of all time.

This is the same with Steve Reeves. Who looked like that in the 40's and 50's? To this day if he was at a beach walking down the boardwalk foot traffic would stop and jaws would drop in his perfection with movie star looks. If a top 10 Olympia did the same he would be greeted with laughter and call outs about steroids.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 09:09:19 AM »

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 09:12:01 AM »
The great thing about Steve Reeves, and all the other old timers, is that they looked great all the time, all year. Not like today's BBs, that are fat slobs most of the year, and only "diet" down to their ugly competition shapes, for contests.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »
" Steve Reeves' physique was perfect. Fantastic physique , Not that huge body, but it was so perfect , so lean , that it became something incredible. Because every muscle , every tendon was perfect from his calves to his head . Verygood proportions , tremendous symmetry . And such a tremendous looking man. Well this man has been good looking , I think , since the day he came out of his mom . "

Sergio Oliva Ironman May 1995

" Steve Reeves was a pure bodybuilder , that is , he trained specifically to shape his body a certain way , and he was buildt like a modern day Adonis. He was the most handsome , beautiful man that I had ever met in my life . " Beautiful " is not a word you usally use in describing a man , but in the case it applies. Even myself - and I'm ungodly masculine and hetrosexual - believe me , if he was in the room I could not keep my eyes off the guy . "

Bill Pearl Ironman May 1995

"  I don't think there is one chance in 50 trillion that the particular mix of hereditary genes that produced the product we see in Steve Reeves will ever occur in combination again. Steve was a very unusal bodybuilder. He had the overall beauty that no other bodybuilder has ever been able to achieve. I had the occasion to work with , photographically , most of the top bodybuilders in the world. But when the good Lord made Steve Reeves , he threw the mold away. There has never been another man , as we go back through all written word and graphic representation, who...ever came out like Steve did. He is from another galaxie.

" I'll never forget one evening when Steve accompanied Jack LaLanne and I to a resturant. When Steve entered the room, everyone stopped eating. You could hear the knives and forks drop. Some people froze with their mouths open. They looked at him in amazenent, as if he were a man from another world . Of course ,99-percent of them had never heard of Steve Reeves and thought he was a movie star. And this was the case wherever Steve set foot: there was admiration from the men , the women , and even the little children. "

" Lets face it : there is only one Steve Reeves. He's an original. I consider it my privilege to have been alive in that period of time when I had the association with Steve. I know as the years roll by, and we are all gone, Steve will live on in the history as the greatest of all time in the field of phsyical culture, in the addition to being one of the finest human beings ever created. "

Russ Warner

" Dr Avard Fairbanks , a Guggenheim Fellow and one of the world's leading art figures, is renown as the world's greatest sculptor of Lincoln, and is the executor of over 90 major works on various subjects, includingthe Great Chicago Lincoln; The fighting Sioux Monument; the Poney Express Monument; The Pioneer Faimly Group Monument; and the statue of Lycurgus,still displayed in Sparta Greece.

Dr Fairbanks comments on Steve Reeves ; " The design of the human system is to bring oneself on line with the same harmonies that regulate the universe. It is these underlying forms and harmonies that elevate man's life and man's thinking. Steve Reeves is the epitome of a man bringing his physique into harmony with the universe he is a part of. He's the grandest example I have ever seen of Michelangelo's dream come true.  It is unfortunate that Steve Reeves was not living during the Renaissance period, for the Masters would have worn their hands to the bone making statues of him. "

Avard Fairbanks  Sculptor

Steve Reeves made an impact , greatest bodybuilder ever .

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 09:37:47 AM »
Dr. Avard Fairbanks