Author Topic: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!  (Read 805542 times)

obsidian

• Getbig V
Re: Bitcoins - about to hit $5,000 per coin today!
« Reply #4100 on: January 03, 2021, 03:21:41 PM »
Absolutely not.
https://cryptopotato.com/renowned-economist-predicts-ethereum-market-cap-may-surpass-btc/#:~:text=Global%20Macro%20Investor%20CEO%20Raoul%20Pal%20has%20listed,Bitcoin%E2%80%99s%20with%20%2462%20billion%20compared%20to%20%24334%20billion.

Legendary investor Raoul Pal has made some bold statements about Ethereum, suggesting that its market capitalization may surpass that of Bitcoin within the next decade.

Global Macro Investor CEO Raoul Pal has listed a number of reasons that Ethereum may well exceed Bitcoin in terms of market capitalization in the future. At the moment Ethereum’s market cap is just 18% of Bitcoin’s with $62 billion compared to $334 billion.

In a flurry of tweets today, the investment strategist and economic historian compared the sizes of cryptocurrencies to traditional financial markets such as bonds and derivatives. The stand-out comments were all very bullish for Ethereum which may have an entire financial economy running on it in the future.

“My hunch is BTC is a perfect collateral layer but ETH might be bigger in market cap terms in 10 years for the reasons above.”

A few things to make you think…

If bitcoin is the digital pristine collateral, the size of global gov bond market is $123trn.

Pretty amazing opportunity for bitcoin.

— Raoul Pal (@RaoulGMI) December 11, 2020

Can Ethereum Really Surpass Bitcoin?

Bitcoin, which is currently correcting, has traditionally been considered as a store of value rather than digital money or a financial application layer. Sending and receiving Bitcoin is relatively slow and markets are still way too volatile for it to be considered as ‘money’.

Ethereum prices are also volatile and it too can suffer greatly when the network is under heavy load. The difference is that many other assets from stablecoins to real estate to non-fungible gaming tokens can be tokenized on Ethereum. It is a foundation layer for an entirely new financial landscape.

Pal kicked off the thread stating that if Bitcoin is the digital pristine collateral, the size of global government bond market is $123 trillion, and it could be a “pretty amazing opportunity for Bitcoin”.

He then compared crypto markets to current settlements, derivatives, and forex layers in traditional finance which are in the quadrillions of dollars.

“Almost no one in crypto understands the size of financial markets. It is never ever going to be winner takes all. It is near impossible as each blockchain has its limitations and trade offs and that suits the complexity of the financial world.”

He added that money and collateral is just the base layer, and everything builds on top. The store of value is collateral, the trust layer and exchange of value is bigger, and this is Ethereum he stated.

The Case of DeFi

Decentralized finance has been the primary case in 2020 as the majority of it is built on Ethereum despite the emergence of a number of faster rival blockchains such as Polkadot, Solana, and Binance Smart Chain.

None of them have managed to ‘kill’ Ethereum and they are unlikely to in the future unless developers in the current DeFi ecosystem want to re-write all of their code and contracts for another platform with fewer users.

As DeFi grows, so will its reliance on Ethereum, which is also evolving itself and is already scalable through Layer 2. Native scaling is around a year or so away, and by then Ethereum would have cemented itself even further as the base layer of this new financial world.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #4101 on: January 03, 2021, 03:28:01 PM »
Ethereum $ 967.63

Past 7 days: up 45.42 %

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #4102 on: January 03, 2021, 03:39:00 PM »
I'm going to serve as the lonely voice in the desert here, but does anyone else consider that this rise in BitCoin is bound to fall hard based on the fact that it could threaten the United States dollar as the world reserve currency?

Our dollar serving as the reserve is what keeps us in power internationally (by serving as the currency that most foreign trade is pegged to), allows for this country to get loans from other foreign powers and has earned us the respect of most foreign nations since 1945. Not to mention that since the Federal Reserve has been purchasing US debt in the form of bonds to the tune of trillions, it would be foolish of them to not tell all the US government politicians (president + congress) to intercede as to protect their position, even if by way of a FED coin.

Remember, I'm only an investor in the market and DO NOT actively trade, so please don't crucify me. That said, I think it would be a bit strange to place so much trust on a completely non-tangible asset like BitCoin, when the US stands to lose so much by allowing for this bubble to expand out of control. I don't think Biden and the likely Democrat-controlled congress will stand for this.

I could be VERY WRONG on my stance, but I still think this bubble might pop!

"1"

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #4103 on: January 04, 2021, 04:41:23 AM »
I'm going to serve as the lonely voice in the desert here, but does anyone else consider that this rise in BitCoin is bound to fall hard based on the fact that it could threaten the United States dollar as the world reserve currency?

Our dollar serving as the reserve is what keeps us in power internationally (by serving as the currency that most foreign trade is pegged to), allows for this country to get loans from other foreign powers and has earned us the respect of most foreign nations since 1945. Not to mention that since the Federal Reserve has been purchasing US debt in the form of bonds to the tune of trillions, it would be foolish of them to not tell all the US government politicians (president + congress) to intercede as to protect their position, even if by way of a FED coin.

Remember, I'm only an investor in the market and DO NOT actively trade, so please don't crucify me. That said, I think it would be a bit strange to place so much trust on a completely non-tangible asset like BitCoin, when the US stands to lose so much by allowing for this bubble to expand out of control. I don't think Biden and the likely Democrat-controlled congress will stand for this.

"1"
You are not wrong at all. It's a Ponzi scheme.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #4104 on: January 04, 2021, 05:30:59 AM »

"1"

I tried cashing out my crypto probably 2 months ago. After around 4-6 weeks the major crypto exchange said it was rejected by my bank, but the bank said that there's no trace of a payment being attempted  ???

I'm not even sure I'll be able to cash it out to be honest, as either the exchange is shady or my bank doesn't accept payments from dodgy offshore banks.

Whereas if I wanted to cash out stocks, it'd be done during the same day.

The point being, this is not a real currency and won't replace the money system. Despite 1000 word essays and LARP filled forum posts. No one should be risking anything besides side cash in volatile investments like this.

I will definitely put some money in during the next crash though  ;D

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #4105 on: January 04, 2021, 05:33:31 AM »
I tried cashing out my crypto probably 2 months ago. After around 4-6 weeks the major crypto exchange said it was rejected by my bank, but the bank said that there's no trace of a payment being attempted  ???

I'm not even sure I'll be able to cash it out to be honest, as either the exchange is shady or my bank doesn't accept payments from dodgy offshore banks.

The point being, this is not a real currency and won't replace the money system. Despite 1000 word essays and LARP filled forum posts. No one should be risking anything besides side cash in volatile investments like this.

:o

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #4106 on: January 04, 2021, 10:22:46 AM »

This is why I asked who has cashed out a million dollars worth of crypto.  I have never heard of anyone who has cashed out a large amount.  There are going to be a lot of pissed off investors when they realize that real fiat money used to pay bills and buy stuff that was invested just disappeared.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #4107 on: January 04, 2021, 03:39:06 PM »
Hedge Fund Buys $1 Billion Bitcoin

A Singapore based hedge fund has bought some $1.3 billion worth of stock traded bitcoin according to a filing with the Securities and Exchanges Commission (SEC).

The crypto focused Three Arrows Capital bought 38,888,888 shares issued by Grayscale Bitcoin Trust.

Each GBTC share currently goes for $34.10 and are redeemable for actual bitcoin at the rate of 0.001 BTC.

Making this the biggest known one off purchase with it currently unclear whether Three Arrows bought them under the directions of a specific client.

That’s especially as the GBTC avenue is preferred by institutional investors due to it being a regulated product and due to investors not needing to deal with custody.

So marking an acceleration in the amount of bitcoins bought through GBTC which saw $1 billion purchases in the last two weeks of December, as much as all of Q3 2020.

Now $1 billion is being bought in one go as big money starts making an entrance with bitcoin’s price rising to $34,000 while eth surpassed $1,000 in what plenty say is the beginning of a bull run.

https://www.trustnodes.com/2021/01/04/hedge-fund-buys-1-billion-bitcoin

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4108 on: January 04, 2021, 07:10:32 PM »
Hedge Fund Buys $1 Billion Bitcoin

A Singapore based hedge fund has bought some $1.3 billion worth of stock traded bitcoin according to a filing with the Securities and Exchanges Commission (SEC).

The crypto focused Three Arrows Capital bought 38,888,888 shares issued by Grayscale Bitcoin Trust.

Each GBTC share currently goes for $34.10 and are redeemable for actual bitcoin at the rate of 0.001 BTC.

Making this the biggest known one off purchase with it currently unclear whether Three Arrows bought them under the directions of a specific client.

That’s especially as the GBTC avenue is preferred by institutional investors due to it being a regulated product and due to investors not needing to deal with custody.

So marking an acceleration in the amount of bitcoins bought through GBTC which saw $1 billion purchases in the last two weeks of December, as much as all of Q3 2020.

Now $1 billion is being bought in one go as big money starts making an entrance with bitcoin’s price rising to $34,000 while eth surpassed $1,000 in what plenty say is the beginning of a bull run.

https://www.trustnodes.com/2021/01/04/hedge-fund-buys-1-billion-bitcoin

They paid quite a premium too, for access to this amount via the GBTC (as opposed to holding themselves directly). My contacts in Singapore tell me they see a huge surge of hedge funds and HNW's and family offices acquiring BTC this year for long term hold.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4109 on: January 04, 2021, 07:16:22 PM »
This is why I asked who has cashed out a million dollars worth of crypto.  I have never heard of anyone who has cashed out a large amount.  There are going to be a lot of pissed off investors when they realize that real fiat money used to pay bills and buy stuff that was invested just disappeared.

I cannot write much here as I am about to do some levening entertaining. HOwever, I already explained this to you earlier. Again, Billions of dollars of BTC trade daily.

You have a warped mindset when you you refer to "real fiat money". Do you not realize the perversion of logic that is inherent in your choice of words here?

If it helps (and I think I mentioned this earlier, I have a friend who "cashed out" approximately USD 2m USD recently. (And perhaps even more interestingly, he did this in quite a remote location. (A popular tourist island). It would have been hard for him to bring this amount in in cash, gold, or via the banking system (for various reasons, mainly capital controls).

Indeed, every time you hear of a "whale" selling you can be sure they are "cashing out" millions of dollars within a very short period of time.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4110 on: January 04, 2021, 07:19:15 PM »

A few quick comments for you. If you don't control the coins, they are not yours. Keep them in cold storage. Anything you have on the exchange, take it off and place it in cold storage and HODL. If you do want to sell, sell via a regulated exchange (eg Gemini, Binance, Coinbase), or simply sell peer to peer or at any OTC location.

In terms of "putting money in" (in reality securing the current value of your ever declining fiat money to a decentralized peg of global value) my suggestion is to simply buy in smaller amounts over time, and HODL for the next 10 years. You will thank me in the future if you follow this advice.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4111 on: January 04, 2021, 07:23:09 PM »

It got whacked hard early yesterday then rebounded. I saw a notification of USD98M moving from an unknown wallet onto an exchange......

Not an unknown wallet, but yes, around USD 98m coins that were inactive for the last 10 years, suddenly were sold.

Also, there was apparently a USD 90m leverage short seller who came during that dip. So probably USD 1m with 90x leverage. He apparently got entirely wiped out and lost his entire 1 mil.

Theoak*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4112 on: January 04, 2021, 08:43:07 PM »

1/ Breaking major news from US Treasury OCC, the largest US banking regulator (
@USOCC
), with new guidance allowing US banks to use public blockchains and dollar stablecoins as a settlement infrastructure in the US financial system.  https://occ.gov/news-issuances

https://mobile.twitter.com/jerallaire/status/1346233132396257282

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4113 on: January 05, 2021, 01:05:42 AM »

I find it a kind of warped mindset when people talk about "cashing out of BTC". To me it shows that they don't quite yet "get it".

It reminds be about one of my banker friends who was a former CEO of one of Australia's largest banks. He once told me, among his many tales as a young banker starting out, how he was charged with setting up the first branch of the bank in a country near Australia called "Papua New Guinea".

He told me that in the early days, the local housewives (very privative local basically savage tribes), would all come on a Friday to "take their money out" (to make sure it was really still there) and then redeposit it back on the Monday when the bank opened again after the weekend. :)

Its a very primitive way of thinking, but understandable at the same time. Monkeys and dogs also have similar concerns and hesitations when learning new concepts. Caution has been a desirable human trait in terms of our survival. But an even more important trait that has been key to human success and evolution, both as a group and as individuals, has been open-mindedness and curiosity (as opposed to obstinate pig-headedness of the kind demonstrated by Mr Anabolic throughout this thread, which is more akin to a goat repeatedly bashing its head against a tree).

Put in very simplistic, terms it is far far easier to "cash out" of BTC, that it is for gold. Or to use it to purchase it for anything. Or to transfer it to anywhere in the world. Or to instantly break in down into any denomination. But either why, you really need to be twisting your logic on its head and start looking at how to "cash out" of cash, which you know with certainty and can see before your very eyes, is devaluing due to money printing. It defies logic to hold cash of any significant amount in these circumstances. And to believe doing so is "safe" boarders on being dilutional and irrational lunacy if you think about it.

The more important question to ask is what is the safest thing to do with wealth currently denominated in cash. In my view the answer (at a high level) is a mix of stocks (or businesses that you own and operate outright), property, gold, and Bitcoin.

What people are doing is "cashing out" of fake money. And cashing into a hard asset. Which is BTC. (As for what proportions allocation, and the pros and cons of each class, that is a more personal question. But you can be very sure that as BTC is a new asset class, its % overall in portfolios will be increasing over time, compared to the others).

But yes, in summary you could use BTC to buy fiat currency at an instant. Over 1 Billion USD value of BTC trade daily, and that volume is only increasing.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4114 on: January 05, 2021, 01:08:05 AM »
You are not wrong at all. It's a Ponzi scheme.

You are confusing concepts. BTC does not pay any kind of yield or profit. Unlike for example the fund that Bernie Madoff ran, where existing "investors" (aka suckers) were paid profits from the funds of others (even bigger suckers), and the only person actually making money being the scammer himself who operated the fund.

BTC is as much of a "scam" as gold is, in that it produces no earnings yield, is limited in supply, (BTC indeed is perfectly and mathematically  limited whereas gold is not), and is controlled by no-one (ie its value and control is decentralized, and is entirely dependent on the collective sum of what others are prepared to pay for it). And both gold and BTC are far less scams that fiat currency (which ironically is really the ultimate Ponzi scheme, in part because in the past so few people actually realized this).

I have explained this earlier (many times). Please read prior posts so I do not need to keep repeating myself I hope you can give some thought to this so that you understand it.

At a very simplistic level, BTC is limited in supply. BTC is fast becoming the global baseline store of value in the new world (where everything is digital). Cash printed by Governments is infinite in supply. Cash is a sovereign currency, designed for short term use as a method of value exchange, pegged and valued as a function of the total amount of supply of cash in circulation as compared to Bitcoin.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #4115 on: January 05, 2021, 03:41:17 AM »
Again I ask, how many (if any) people have withdrawn 1 million in Bitcoin and actually got cash?  Bitcoin has no worth until you either use it to buy goods and services  OR  you get cash for selling it.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4116 on: January 05, 2021, 05:44:16 AM »
Again I ask, how many (if any) people have withdrawn 1 million in Bitcoin and actually got cash?  Bitcoin has no worth until you either use it to buy goods and services  OR  you get cash for selling it.

I'll try to answer this one more time. Billions of dollars of BTC sells every day. Every seller (obviously) receives cash in return for the BTC they sell. Every person who buys the BTC of course needs to pay in cash.

Coinbase, which is about do to an IPO, will provide exact details of how much money they take in and pay out each day (along with their margins). You will see in their offer prospectus that the amount of money they are making on commission on a daily basis is staggering. You can take a read of that yourself.

I only know one retail investor who sold all BTC at once. He received USD 2m, in cash, in a single transaction. But I know many who have sold (and received in cash the USD 50-100K range). Remember, most retail investors who hold larger amounts won't typically sell all in a single transaction.

I know one OTC operator who sell around USD 100m per day (meaning they both take in, and give out 100m in cash on average, on a daily basis).

You can buy whatever good or service you like by paying in BTC provided the seller is willing to accept BTC. Or you can simply use the cash you get, and then buy whatever good or service you like by paying in cash provided the seller is willing to accept the cash.

More sellers than ever are eager to get their hands on BTC and so are willing to accept it, but either way, later this year we will see both PayPal and Square, among many others, allowing you to have an underlying storage of global in BTC in your account, but from a "user-experience" perspective, you will be able to pay for any transaction either in cash (which is then reconciled in your account in BTC), or in BTC directly. So, for a merchant it becomes seamless, as a BTC transaction to them appears as a fiat currency transaction, but it actually is being converted and deducted from a person's BTC balance in the backend. If the merchant wants BTC they can ask for that. If they want cash, Square and PayPal will convert BTC into the amount of cash as is needed.

Are there buyers of BTC who refuse to pay you cash? Yes of course that can happen if you get scammed or are an idiot (just like a buyer of any other item can refuse to pay you cash). Are there banks or exchanges that go bust or make errors or scam you? Yes, that can also happen (which is why its not advisable to keep BTC on an exchange, and, if you so want to sell via an exchange, make sure its a regulated exchange.

The last question, which is maybe what you are actually asking, is does a bank have to accept the cash you have received from the sale on an exchange. The answer to that is that it is up to the bank. I, and many of my friends in finance, have established relationships with banks, such that a transfer of a million dollars in would be accepted no problem. But if you had no track record, no prior establishment of wealth or legitimate source of income, no KYC compliance etc, than any bank's compliance department would raise an eyebrow at a sudden appearance of 1m incoming (regardless of what you supposedly sold to get that 1m, whether its a house, a lottery win, stocks, an inheritance, or BTC). They might well want an assurance as to the legitimacy of that income, depending on the bank and the applicable jurisdiction. So, for example Switzerland, HK, Singapore, Cayman Islands, Spain, Monaco, etc no problem at all. Whereas in the US likely you would be questioned.

Hope that helps. If you ask legitimate questions, with specific details, I will try to answer for you.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4117 on: January 05, 2021, 05:56:37 AM »
So called "One-Coiners" (ie a person who owns an actual whole coin) will soon be the global elite with an untouchable level of wealth by the masses (who will be wage slaves).

I already explained, when BTC was 5K per coin, how important it was for every one of us to secure a coin and then HODL for life. (Still in reach for many, although obviously now takes more fiat money than it did several years ago - such is a algorithm that governs Bitcoin. For many individuals, this year may be the last realistic opportunity to become a One-coiner. Think about it, as you will in the future deeply regret not acting now, whilst the security of your future still in reach).

For anyone who has an interest in securing their future, please take a listen to this. Very well presented at will be appreciated by anyone who has the intellectual capacity to understand this.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #4118 on: January 05, 2021, 10:44:34 AM »
So called "One-Coiners" (ie a person who owns an actual whole coin) will soon be the global elite with an untouchable level of wealth by the masses (who will be wage slaves).

I already explained, when BTC was 5K per coin, how important it was for every one of us to secure a coin and then HODL for life. (Still in reach for many, although obviously now takes more fiat money than it did several years ago - such is a algorithm that governs Bitcoin. For many individuals, this year may be the last realistic opportunity to become a One-coiner. Think about it, as you will in the future deeply regret not acting now, whilst the security of your future still in reach).

For anyone who has an interest in securing their future, please take a listen to this. Very well presented at will be appreciated by anyone who has the intellectual capacity to understand this.

You can't really be this naive.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4119 on: January 05, 2021, 12:09:36 PM »

it is worthless until you sell into fiat to purchase something. But that same logic applies to gold etfs, shares, commodities and anything else purchased on an exchange.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #4120 on: January 05, 2021, 12:15:10 PM »
it is worthless until you sell into fiat to purchase something. But that same logic applies to gold etfs, shares, commodities and anything else purchased on an exchange.
I agree.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4121 on: January 05, 2021, 12:38:57 PM »
Not an unknown wallet, but yes, around USD 98m coins that were inactive for the last 10 years, suddenly were sold.

Also, there was apparently a USD 90m leverage short seller who came during that dip. So probably USD 1m with 90x leverage. He apparently got entirely wiped out and lost his entire 1 mil.

Shorts were being utterly murdered as it held that 29k support that was showing on the futures so I jumped back in.

Margin on crypto scares the hell out of me. It’s like that guy who put 5M on Trump to win thinking he’d get an easy 10M profit. It looks good until it doesn’t.

So this week based on an open at 32k I’d say it’ll run towards 38k.

I got back into ETH and i think 1,600 isn’t out of the question.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4122 on: January 05, 2021, 10:02:01 PM »

Anything is worthless, unless someone is willing to ascribe value to it.

Fiat currency's value is dependent on the willingness of others to accept it. What we have seen time and time again, is that providers of goods or services, at certain points in time (due to excessive debt funded money printing), lose faith in the currency, and either refuse to accept it, or require ever increasing amounts of it in return for the same goods or services. Those of us in the US (and especially those of us who are younger, may never have experienced this or seen it in action, or heard about it only happening in "3rd world countries". Well, look out, because it happening right before our eye. Those of us who are older, or who have seen family businesses impacted many years ago due to currency debasement, or who have been in countries where the entire population has lost faith in the currency - we understand very well.

Bitcoin is becoming a global store of value that is not controlled by any country, is immutable, transportable geographically, and perfectly finite.

I have said it many many time. Buy BTC. HODL. It it quite possible that in a decade from now there will be no need to sell it. Simply owning it will be enough to put you an elite class of power, (with various interest and income earning funding mechanisms operating of the base value of BTC, such that you will be set for life).

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4123 on: January 05, 2021, 10:48:28 PM »
You can't really be this naive.

Naive about what specifically?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #4124 on: January 06, 2021, 03:29:14 AM »
Naive about what specifically?
A person with 1 bitcoin is going to be in the global elite because of it.