Author Topic: Dorian yates HIT?  (Read 36584 times)

keanu

• Getbig IV
Re: Dorian yates HIT?
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2020, 09:04:53 AM »
Is this what he means by HIt? (im using one exercise below as an example)

bB Barbell curls?...
1. Warm up with 50lb, 15 reps
2. Warm up with 60lb , 12 reps
3. Working set 65 or 70lb, time under tension, slow controlled negative reps till cant move it anymore

Sure i could do a set with 100lb instead of 65, but thats too heavy for TUT with static holds etc.

Then on to another bicep movement ?
Waste of time

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2020, 10:51:32 AM »
In Dorians Blood and Guts hes chest workout consisted of 3 ascending sets up to one working set of 7 reps unassisted with that lunatic screaming his head off, he did a couple sets of dumbbell flys, a couple sets of machine presses and one set of cable crossovers.

When he said "no one outworked me" he really wasn't outworking everyone, chances are he just did enough to stimulate growth.

Go watch Milos put someone through a workout and tell me Dorian trained harder,

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2020, 11:01:52 AM »
Volume, HIT, whatever works for you, both physically AND mentally. I could never get excited about using lots of sets because I found it boring, so the HIT method, toned down a little, worked for me. I went from a very lean 150 pounds in my late teens to a very lean 185 using HIT after three years. Then I stopped gaining, no matter what I tried. So I figured that was my natural limit and I was OK with it.

I now lift once a week heavy and maintain everything I gained, although my weight fluctuates to as high as 200 pounds because I don't do near anywhere the distance I used to bicycle race at. All this at 5'9" and I'm perfectly happy with the result.

We all know that to get mega muscles requires drug usage, so why bother saying that it's HIT or volume or anything in between? There is no magic bullet for the natural other than an injection.

Should have turned to volume. You would make better gains.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2020, 11:03:49 AM »
In Dorians Blood and Guts hes chest workout consisted of 3 ascending sets up to one working set of 7 reps unassisted with that lunatic screaming his head off, he did a couple sets of dumbbell flys, a couple sets of machine presses and one set of cable crossovers.

When he said "no one outworked me" he really wasn't outworking everyone, chances are he just did enough to stimulate growth.

Exactly. Tom Platz is another example. His workouts were high volume and very high intensity.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2020, 11:07:39 AM »
Exactly. Tom Platz is another example. His workouts were high volume and very high intensity.

Platz would take 5 mins to do a set of single arm dumbbell raises.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2020, 02:51:54 PM »
Platz would take 5 mins to do a set of single arm dumbbell raises.
His bicep protested by tearing.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2020, 03:27:25 PM »

The irony is that in bodybuilding is not about ''who trains harder'', it's about results, I'll never forget an issue of FLEX magazine about these bodybuilders who did these crazy workouts from Hell, many of the people featured were not even that famous but they were famous for their insane high level of intensity in the gym. What matters is results, not who is killing himself the most in the gym

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2020, 03:35:44 PM »

Dorian worked harder. Give me a break. Milos was a pussy trainer.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2020, 02:03:24 AM »

Go and watch Dorians blood and guts, and turn the sound off, that guy screaming makes it seem far more intense than it actually is
His working set of incline bench was 7 reps unassisted, dont you think he could have done a drop set with that for more intensity?

So no, he wasn't the hardest worker, as I said he did just enough for maximum growth, to say he trained harder than anyone else is just silly

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2020, 03:09:07 AM »
HIT has not been too kind to me.

It went ok for a while but was a "burning out" model. If you want to stay healthy use medium/light weights and lots of reps - way better for your tissue.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »
The irony is that in bodybuilding is not about ''who trains harder'', it's about results, I'll never forget an issue of FLEX magazine about these bodybuilders who did these crazy workouts from Hell, many of the people featured were not even that famous but they were famous for their insane high level of intensity in the gym. What matters is results, not who is killing himself the most in the gym
Louie Simmons tells powerlifters that the goal is to get as strong possible using the lightest weights possible.  For bodybuilders it would be to gain the most muscle using the lightest weights.  Paul Dillett would be the greatest bodybuilder ever. ;D

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2020, 09:34:42 AM »
Should have turned to volume. You would make better gains.

No -wouldn't have happened. As a racing cyclist I used to do a ton of  flat out sprints - typically lasting 20 seconds or so and occasionally lactate efforts up to 45 seconds. In a given workout it would not be uncommon to do 20 intervals- which is the equivalent to 20 sets in bodybuilding building terms. My legs grew but on HIT my upper body grew faster.

People ascribe some kind of magic to doing set after set. The growth stimulus is achieved in less than three. More research studies out there proving that than you could care to count.  We did lots of intervals in cycling to mimic the race environment so volume was critical. In the types of races I was good at, we would end up sprinting at least once a lap for 30 or more laps- so it was a question of power and endurance. Didn't need to replicate that in weight training.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2020, 09:36:02 AM »
HIT has not been too kind to me.

It went ok for a while but was a "burning out" model. If you want to stay healthy use medium/light weights and lots of reps - way better for your tissue.

HIT easily burns you out. I got my best results doing it one day a week for muscle groups - followed by an easy week every 4-6 weeks.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2020, 10:03:45 AM »

HIT easily burns you out. I got my best results doing it one day a week for muscle groups - followed by an easy week every 4-6 weeks.
I liked to do 2-3 weeks of volume and then 1 week of HIT.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2020, 10:49:34 AM »
Louie Simmons tells powerlifters that the goal is to get as strong possible using the lightest weights possible.  For bodybuilders it would be to gain the most muscle using the lightest weights.  Paul Dillett would be the greatest bodybuilder ever. ;D
Mike Mentzer used to say that overtraining was not only ''bad'', but it was actually the worst thing a bodybuilder can do. After many years I understand it now, bodybuilders easily throw themselves into overtrained state after a few super intense workouts, then they wonder why they are not making progress

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2020, 11:32:07 AM »

No -wouldn't have happened. As a racing cyclist I used to do a ton of  flat out sprints - typically lasting 20 seconds or so and occasionally lactate efforts up to 45 seconds. In a given workout it would not be uncommon to do 20 intervals- which is the equivalent to 20 sets in bodybuilding building terms. My legs grew but on HIT my upper body grew faster.

People ascribe some kind of magic to doing set after set. The growth stimulus is achieved in less than three. More research studies out there proving that than you could care to count.  We did lots of intervals in cycling to mimic the race environment so volume was critical. In the types of races I was good at, we would end up sprinting at least once a lap for 30 or more laps- so it was a question of power and endurance. Didn't need to replicate that in weight training.

And yet volume is the prime driver of growth followed by time and tension. Real world science proves this. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27433992/

Oh and sprinting/running is not bodybuilding. Two totally different activities.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2020, 11:38:40 AM »

agree oldtimer, i have watched those milos videos, its just a bunch of sloppy shit,  the guy has fried a few peoples kidneys as well, remember luke wood who posted on here, milos basically killed that guy. 

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2020, 12:06:15 PM »
agree oldtimer, i have watched those milos videos, its just a bunch of sloppy shit,  the guy has fried a few peoples kidneys as well, remember luke wood who posted on here, milos basically killed that guy.
watch Dorians without the sound... ;)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2020, 03:23:59 AM »
Mike Mentzer used to say that overtraining was not only ''bad'', but it was actually the worst thing a bodybuilder can do. After many years I understand it now, bodybuilders easily throw themselves into overtrained state after a few super intense workouts, then they wonder why they are not making progress
Yes, most "hardcore" training is wasted effort.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2020, 04:07:21 AM »

I find I get the best results when I'm not training that hard, just consistently.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2020, 04:29:51 AM »

way more volume and intensity that Dorians 3 or 4 "working sets"

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2020, 06:17:34 AM »
Dorian yates for the better part of his prime years competing other than his’hit,training was all attributed to one main factor how much drugs he was on the training just supported that.I’ll give him knowing diet to a point as well but he also had to do his final prep for the stage like diuretics ect...

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2020, 06:24:52 AM »
Could have trained in any manner and looked 90%....time under tension required of course, not like he couldn't lift at all. Gear + genetics at that level is huge part of it. If he had switched up his method at some point could have competed years longer.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2020, 09:12:59 AM »

way more volume and intensity that Dorians 3 or 4 "working sets"

Past a few sets you are only working for endurance. Study after study shows that more is not better. Even intensity tends to lose its punch when taken to extremes.

The dose/response curve is the same for any stimulus- Hans Selye proved that 60 years ago.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2020, 09:18:49 AM »

Past a few sets you are only working for endurance. Study after study shows that more is not better. Even intensity tends to lose its punch when taken to extremes.

The dose/response curve is the same for any stimulus- Hans Selye proved that 60 years ago.

Im with you, its just Dorians boast of no one outworking him was simply not true.