Author Topic: Materialistic  (Read 3040 times)

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
Materialistic
« on: September 17, 2015, 04:13:03 AM »
How do guys over age 25 really give a shit about materialistic posessions?. All i care about is my bank account.
I grew out of the "i gotta roll around in a beamer" when i was about 23 and started my career. such a waste of money, poor investment, and NO ONE of any substance, gives two shits about what kind of car, house, big screen, etc you have. The money i see being thrown around on watches, cars, designer clothes, etc . For guys my age is embarrasing. To each their own, but did something happen to them as kids that makes them think the answer to their problems is owning a 10k watch? Maybe im more hippy minded than most, but i actually find the tiny house thing pretty cool and much wiser way of living?..too bad my wife doesnt see it that way lol

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
Re: Materialistic
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 04:25:18 AM »
How do guys over age 25 really give a shit about materialistic posessions?. All i care about is my bank account.
I grew out of the "i gotta roll around in a beamer" when i was about 23 and started my career. such a waste of money, poor investment, and NO ONE of any substance, gives two shits about what kind of car, house, big screen, etc you have. The money i see being thrown around on watches, cars, designer clothes, etc . For guys my age is embarrasing. To each their own, but did something happen to them as kids that makes them think the answer to their problems is owning a 10k watch? Maybe im more hippy minded than most, but i actually find the tiny house thing pretty cool and much wiser way of living?..too bad my wife doesnt see it that way lol
It's a mating strategy, it's women who are materialistic and desire wealth, men as a rule have simple needs and could live in a tent by the river with a fish pole and a hammock.  Those who flash the bling and externals are trying to land the best pootang they can.
V

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 04:25:22 AM »
Why is caring about a bank account any better? Either you desire possessions, or you desire the potential for possessions. Doesn't seem all that different to me.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 04:27:33 AM »
Why is caring about a bank account any better? Either you desire possessions, or you desire the potential for possessions. Doesn't seem all that different to me.

A bank acct allows me to stop working sooner...a beamer just ensures ill have to work and save longer

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 04:27:42 AM »
Really, you don't see the huge difference?  Money in the bank doesn't equal desired potential possessions, it's a prudent strategy to avoid life's many unexpected pitfalls.  Materialism leads to bankruptcy, saving your money prevents it.
V

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 04:29:14 AM »
It's a mating strategy, it's women who are materialistic and desire wealth, men as a rule have simple needs and could live in a tent by the river with a fish pole and a hammock.  Those who flash the bling and externals are trying to land the best pootang they can.

Exactly...finding a woman of substance is difficult but they are out there. My mom is probably the only female i know who doesnt care about $

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 04:31:47 AM »
A bank acct allows me to stop working sooner...a beamer just ensures ill have to work and save longer

So you use it to buy a flight from work, instead of a car. You still use it to buy something that you consider valuable.

Uncle Joon

• Getbig IV
  • I'm back
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 04:32:35 AM »

The correct term is "purchasing power"

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 04:33:10 AM »
Really, you don't see the huge difference?  Money in the bank doesn't equal desired potential possessions, it's a prudent strategy to avoid life's many unexpected pitfalls.  Materialism leads to bankruptcy, saving your money prevents it.
No, I don't see the difference at all. Instead of a lavish lifestyle for a short while, you would have a slightly less lavish lifestyle for a bit longer. Epic difference. The key is not caring about lifestyle at all.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 04:33:30 AM »
So you use it to buy a flight from work, instead of a car. You still use it to buy something that you consider valuable.

Ok lol

I really dont care about lifestyle beside being able to feed my dogs and myself and my wife, and having a roof.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 04:35:24 AM »

Investing the money would give a far higher yield than letting it rot in a bank account with 0% interest rates and let you retire sooner.

I'm with you on some of your points - excessive spending (for your budget) on luxury items is foolish. You know the type - has a fast car but can't top up the petrol tank, wears Beats headphones but can barely make rent.

Not with you on the nice house though. A house is important - for you and, if you want to look at it like this, any woman looking at you. I'm not saying you need some 15,000 sq ft mansion with golden staircases, swimming pools with waterfalls etc but four walls, parking and a garden helps.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 04:37:40 AM »
Investing the money would give a far higher yield than letting it rot in a bank account with 0% interest rates and let you retire sooner.

I'm with you on some of your points - excessive spending (for your budget) on luxury items is foolish. You know the type - has a fast car but can't top up the petrol tank, wears Beats headphones but can barely make rent.

Not with you on the nice house though. A house is important - for you and, if you want to look at it like this, any woman looking at you. I'm not saying you need some 15,000 sq ft mansion with golden staircases, swimming pools with waterfalls etc but four walls, parking and a garden helps.

Dude,,,by bank acct i meant my investments...i barely keep anything in my bank accts. sorry, should have xplained

Uncle Joon

• Getbig IV
  • I'm back
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 04:38:06 AM »

You represent generation nothingness.
You are a lazy unmotivated apathetic individual who lacks the business acumen and savvy to be financially secure and successful
You lack the knowledge and know how and the reason you don't have those is because you lack ambition and required guts to take risks to get ahead in life.
In short
You are a waste of space.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 05:37:13 AM »
Depends...
And it's "bimmer" for BMW  cars, "beemer" for BMW motorcycles, and "beamer" for Chinese knockoffs.
So, yes you are correct. A "beamer" will ensure that you have to work and save longer because you have to continually fix that Chinese knockoff.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 05:40:24 AM »
I think people who waste money on expensive watches and materialistic shit are insecure pricks...basically low lives that should be bred out of the gene pool.

Just my opinion

S

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 06:04:09 AM »

Quality post right there.
©

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 06:24:18 AM »
You represent generation nothingness.
You are a lazy unmotivated apathetic individual who lacks the business acumen and savvy to be financially secure and successful
You lack the knowledge and know how and the reason you don't have those is because you lack ambition and required guts to take risks to get ahead in life.
In short
You are a waste of space.

V

bishamonten

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 06:51:11 AM »
Exactly...finding a woman of substance is difficult but they are out there. My mom is probably the only female i know who doesnt care about $

Bullshit!She wanted $50 for a handjob. 50 for a handjob?

aestheticsuk

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 07:18:18 AM »

this

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 07:33:50 AM »
Forget expensive cars, id rather buy a fishing boat and guns.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 07:36:40 AM »
im a lil different i spend money on vacations

and when i go on vacation i go for several monthes.  thats all i care about anymore

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 07:40:14 AM »
I think you are trying convince YOURSELF here of something. Just live however you want, noones really cares, nor should you. I personally like expensive cars, clothes and electronics... Don't see an issue with that and couldn't care less about what other people like.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 08:53:21 AM »
I agree with the OP, but...I saw a brand new all-black BMW M4 today... :P

Uncle Joon

• Getbig IV
  • I'm back
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 09:28:12 AM »
I agree with the OP, but...I saw a brand new all-black BMW M4 today... :P

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 09:33:02 AM »
Some of us enjoy the crisp and raspy sound of a new ZR1 as you crack the throttle on your commute to work.  Some of us like to have world class performance out of a vehicle because we enjoy commuting around in a 600+ HP super car.

I'll drop 6 figures on a car, but would never drop more than 300 on a watch.  Just depends on what you are into.

I've never purchased anything that I did not personally want.  I don't care about what other people

Plus, road racing is my hobby.  So having a race car as a daily driver might seem silly, but I wouldn't like it any other way!

8)