Author Topic: Why do people work 16 hours a day and prioritize money over happiness.  (Read 13748 times)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Re: Why do people work 16 hours a day and prioritize money over happiness.
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2016, 02:57:41 PM »
Everything requires money.
This.
Even bums on the street need money.
A

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2016, 03:08:45 PM »
I think the OP is asking why work sixteen hour days when one can work less and still earn a living, though not as much.

Many of these Wall Street workers are highly opportunistic, highly individualistic, money-obsessed people. They spend little time with friends and family and they don't get involved with women seriously, or if they  do, it's an "arrangement" of sorts. It's hard to be a good dad or partner when one works those hours. Many of them also see those with less money as being "losers" or "ordinary people". The whole thing is part of their personality, getting one up on the next person.

Money does make them happy, not just the amount one needs to lead a satisfying life, but the amount of money that makes one rich. Also, what makes one person happy might not make another person happy.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »
I know money doesn't make for happiness. All you really need financially is a roof over your head and food. Anything else is gravy.  I would never put down a hard working person who works many hours and travels far to make a better life for his family.  A work ethic is a dying thing. A work ethic more than a college degree and anything else will determine your fate in life. Many claim someone had luck but you make your luck through effort and hard work.  

I remember when my future son in law said to me I was lucky in life. Lucky to retire early. Lucky to live in a fantastic house. Now that he has followed in relatively the same career path working like a dog to get there he completely understands that hard work has it's rewards.  

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2016, 03:20:54 PM »
Everything requires money.

How much do they charge in the US for walking on the beach while enjoying the sun?

Garbage Man

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2016, 03:21:10 PM »
I've always felt that "Money can't buy happiness" is total BS, probably made up by a woman or an overly-idealistic poor person.
Which is so different from you, who is super tough and manly.

Damn, you're such a stud.

We all look up to you.

Amazing guy, you. People don't get you, man. This culture, it brings you down. You're one of the old school tough guys, slamming his way through life.

Simply amazing, you.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 03:29:21 PM »
How much do they charge in the US for walking on the beach while enjoying the sun?
A beach parking permit and bail for jail, because without money you're walking around nude.
A

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »
Kill yourself. Its free.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2016, 03:40:45 PM »
A beach parking permit and bail for jail, because without money you're walking around nude.

Get a life, even the homeless wear clothes and you don't need to car to go from a to b ::)

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2016, 04:14:50 PM »
Money comes and goes.

Time just goes.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »
What if you could do this for three years and retire to do what ever you want for the rest of your life.  

Lol, retiring after three years of six figure income? Dude, I haven't made under $250k a year since 2010 and I'm not retiring anytime soon. You pay shit off and find other stuff to spend money on, thus keeping you working. That is, if you are a "hungry" person. I'm setting up for future generations of my family by investing in my kids. I put a minimum of $4,000 a year in each of their college accounts. You want to blow off steam? $10k a year in a travel budget at least. I used to think at 25 that people who made "x" amount a year would have no problems, but the reality is, that you just spend more and find more shit to buy.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2016, 07:23:14 PM »
So we can support the ones watching springer n eating bon bons all day.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »
Money won't provide you with happiness, I've tested that.

What it will do is allow you to not have to worry about the bullshit (rent, food, bills, debt, kids' future etc.) that gets in the way of your attaining happiness.

Happiness, at least in my experience, comes from sharing those special moments in life with the people you value the most (family, friends etc.), while learning about and trying new things.

"1"

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2016, 08:05:40 PM »
Money won't provide you with happiness, I've tested that.

What it will do is allow you to not have to worry about the bullshit (rent, food, bills, debt, kids' future etc.) that gets in the way of your attaining happiness.

Happiness, at least in my experience, comes from sharing those special moments in life with the people you value the most (family, friends etc.), while learning about and trying new things.

"1"

What about the special moments on getbig? I realize you did not include that. Brutal.
X

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2016, 09:46:56 PM »
Lol, retiring after three years of six figure income? Dude, I haven't made under $250k a year since 2010 and I'm not retiring anytime soon. You pay shit off and find other stuff to spend money on, thus keeping you working. That is, if you are a "hungry" person. I'm setting up for future generations of my family by investing in my kids. I put a minimum of $4,000 a year in each of their college accounts. You want to blow off steam? $10k a year in a travel budget at least. I used to think at 25 that people who made "x" amount a year would have no problems, but the reality is, that you just spend more and find more shit to buy.

Irongrip telling us his salary for the 50th  time in this thread.

But it's true, couple hundred k a year is nice, but not rich.   A lot depends on geography and family situation.   A single guy making that can do pretty much what he wants, but with a family, you live well, but you're not going to retire.
Y

DanM

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2016, 10:39:04 PM »
I recall reading a study on the biggest regrets elderly people had on their death bed, working to much was the # 1 regret.

kawaks

• Getbig III
  • My Two Cents
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2016, 11:17:27 PM »
You see these young men working on wall street in NYC and shit working 12 hours a day and commuting 2 hours each way from NJ. So essentially a 16 hour day, just so they can be rich. What is it worth? I'd rather be poor doing what the hell I want with my life rather than making a shit ton of money I don't even have time to spend and working as someone's slave.

Yeah buddy it's called getting ahead in life to keep one's head above water.

Yo! Yo! Yo!, let's go! go! go!

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2016, 11:53:47 PM »
Get a life, even the homeless wear clothes and you don't need to car to go from a to b ::)

And where do the homeless get their clothes? They get it from people with money. And sure you don't need a car to get from A to B but cars have changed our lives. A ten mile trip in a car is nothing. On foot it's a day's journey.

If you want to walk on the beach you need money to live in a beach community. If not, then you need money to have a car to drive to the beach. If no car, then you need money to ride the bus to get to the beach. And if you have to walk... well, nobody is going to walk several miles just to walk some more on the beach. And if you are homeless living on the beach the only walking you do is to look for water bottles and soda cans to get some money so you can buy food.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2016, 07:25:22 PM »
I recall reading a study on the biggest regrets elderly people had on their death bed, working to much was the # 1 regret.

Your regret should be not yet knowing the proper uses of to, too, and two.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »
Money pays for my hedonistic lifestyle

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2016, 09:30:20 PM »
Tell that to Robin Williams and Kurt Cobain or the famous newsreporter who slammed his car into the wall a few weeks ago.

Listen, let me tell you the REAL deal, broskie. Here goes:

If you're only problem in life is financial burdens, then, yes, of course money is going to buy happiness. Furthermore, I agree that having more money may make someone more happy.

However, if you're riddled with a host of other problems, that money cannot fix, then, all of the money in the world will not make you a happy person. It may assuage some of the negative feelings, but you probably wont be as happy as you want to be.

Holding all extraneous variables constant, yes, money can buy happiness. But, in life, its often the extraneous variables that lead to sadness, and some of these things cannot be fixed with money. In the end, its really contextual. So, it really all comes down to many factors. I mean, Robin Williams was diagnosed with an incurable disease, then wound up killing himself. Money couldn't cure his disease.

This is it right here. You need money to be happy. We are corporeal beings and simply have certain needs to function and be comfortable. There's no way around it. I remember how miserable I was when my a/c went out in my car and I was driving around for a while constantly sweating. My back, the back of my legs were wet with sweat. Sweat would form on my forehead and drip down my face. Sweat would pool in my belly area where my skin folds from being in the seated position. I was not a happy person. Such a relatively trivial thing made my daily life miserable.

So you have to have money to be happy, but money alone is not going to do it if the "extraneous variables" are not in check. Money, as we use to say in math, "is a necessary but insufficient condition" for happiness. But without money, without being able to take care of your basic needs, life will be nothing but daily misery.

“Hey, baby, nobody suffers like the poor.”

-- Mickey Rourke as Henry Chinaski, "Barfly"

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2016, 09:33:59 PM »
My white ass needs a lot of sunscreen.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2016, 09:37:37 PM »
Irongrip telling us his salary for the 50th  time in this thread.

But it's true, couple hundred k a year is nice, but not rich.   A lot depends on geography and family situation.   A single guy making that can do pretty much what he wants, but with a family, you live well, but you're not going to retire.

It really depends on how you define rich and what you expect you should have in life. Just making $100,000/yr puts you in the top 10% of earners in the richest country in the world. Harley Breite drives a Ferrari and a Bently and has several collectibles being customize in the shop each one of them worth more than the average person makes in a year. He gets to travel the world and wear fancy suits and I'm sure never runs short of food or gas money at the end of the week -- yet he does not consider himself rich.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2016, 09:43:46 PM »
indoctrination

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2016, 11:31:40 PM »
money is ugly I will tell you that, I have lived without it and with it, I certainly had more true friends without it, people share a common bond when you don't have enough of it, as soon as you have more, the envy and jealousy kicks in and say good bye to your friends, they might be okay with your new found success and wealth  but they will be married to someone who isn't lol.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2016, 11:52:42 PM »

You have a perspective most people don't - I find this interesting Was talking to the son of a good friend who has just started work in the finance world. Crazy hours - around the 16 per day mark, 2 days off a week but not consecutive, starting salary of $200K + -and he's in his mid 20's. He says he plans to give them 10 years of life, have a house paid off and then go back to a 'normal' job (he's got a law degree so I guess he'll still be pulling long hours). He's just moved to Sydney though and that place rapes your wallet.

I can understand someone his age being ok killing themselves for a big wage. If it happens when you're older and have other priorities in life, it seems a bit sad from my perspective.