Author Topic: Jay Masters tears both Quads at 600 Pounds Squat Attempt  (Read 13830 times)

Joe Valentino

• Getbig IV
Jay Masters tears both Quads at 600 Pounds Squat Attempt
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:58:58 AM »
Does anyone has the video of Big Jay Masters, from the Delrays Misfits torn his quads, while trying to rep a 600 Pound Squat?

IronMeister

• Getbig IV
  • Übermacht
Re: Jay Masters torns Both Quads at 600 Pounds Squat Attempt
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 10:01:04 AM »

No homo...

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:06:49 AM »
damn feel sorry for him. Good guy really

maybe not the best idea at 50+  :(

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 10:10:33 AM »
Thats gotta hurt.
T

Joe Valentino

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 10:11:15 AM »
damn feel sorry for him. Good guy really

maybe not the best idea at 50+  :(

Damn. Jean Pierre Fux, the professional Bodybuilder, had almost the same injuries 15 years ago or something. Looks like its a looong road to recover. Besides being stuck at a hospital for over 2 months.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »
Damn. Jean Pierre Fux, the professional Bodybuilder, had almost the same injuries 15 years ago or something. Looks like its a looong road to recover. Besides being stuck at a hospital for over 2 months.

Ah yes, jean pierre. I bench 500lbs, I can kick anyone's ass.

Yes, bench press equals fighting ability. 

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 10:13:37 AM »
well he most definately will never be squatting 600 pounds in his life ever again. maybe not even 400. Gotta suck for a guy that was all about his powerlifting :/

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »
He has no business squatting 600 pounds.

Unless you're a competitive powerlifter or WSM competitor, there is zero sense in squatting.

It's really a waste of time for the every day lifter.
X

Joe Valentino

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 10:17:54 AM »
Ah yes, jean pierre. I bench 500lbs, I can kick anyone's ass.

Yes, bench press equals fighting ability. 

Damn, Dude, I squat 120 pounds for 8 and thats it. If I mess with more that than, im screwed for life

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 10:18:44 AM »

Unless you're a competitive powerlifter or WSM competitor, there is zero sense in squatting.

he has competed in powerlifting. Pretty sure he planned on competing and setting some records in the +50 age group. And that's why he did this lift to improve his squat. Hes a 500+ bencher aswell. did 500 for 3 or something like that and he's 50

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 10:37:26 AM »

This

His warmup jumps were also way too big.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 10:52:56 AM »
Ouch.

It's like you can almost see the separation distance on his left quad as he straightens out.  Terrible business...  :-X  (But good that he'd set the pins at a safe height)

I confess to being pretty ignorant of most of the Del-Ray goings-on apart from Big Lenny, but didn't I see this Masters guy in a bench press video last year where he did a PB, then when he got up from the bench someone pointed out that he was bleeding from this head?  Not from an injury or anything though, just through some of his pores... I wonder what his BP averages at..?  It may be that, like Monsieur Fux, this accident has saved his life...

T

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 10:55:16 AM »
he has competed in powerlifting. Pretty sure he planned on competing and setting some records in the +50 age group. And that's why he did this lift to improve his squat. Hes a 500+ bencher aswell. did 500 for 3 or something like that and he's 50

He has = the past.

We don't know if he planned to compete in the future.

Clearly, his body could not handle the poundage. He should have known better. It's not worth it.
X

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 11:11:23 AM »
Things like this have always made me cringe, but that was even more brutal to watch after having torn my bi.  You think it's going to look much more hideous than it does, and that there will be some loud snap, but when it happens it's just a subtle "pop" sound and you feel the muscle let go from the attachment.  Like him, I knew what happened immediately.

I was thinking of trying to get back to 405 x 10-12 with my little "comeback", but after seeing that I think I'll cap out at doing 315 x 10-15 on a consistent basis.  Once the last rep becomes slowed I'm done.  Everything I've been doing since I started again is about higher reps, temp, and time under tension; and since it's working, I see no reason to change things up at my age. 

I'd rather look like I'm one of the stronger guys in the gym than try to be one.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 11:22:46 AM »
why cant he just settle for goblet squats  ???

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 11:24:29 AM »
At least he had the safety pins in, and they held.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 11:32:04 AM »
He has = the past.

We don't know if he planned to compete in the future.

Clearly, his body could not handle the poundage. He should have known better. It's not worth it.
nah he has clearly stated in podcasts and what not that he wanted to break records in the 50+ class. Primarily his focus was bench though.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 11:36:25 AM »

No homo...

At least he used the safety bars :-\

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 11:38:48 AM »
nah he has clearly stated in podcasts and what not that he wanted to break records in the 50+ class. Primarily his focus was bench though.

He should just quit. It's not worth a plastic trophy. Now he will be in recovery for a very long time.
X

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 11:40:15 AM »
He should just quit. It's not worth a plastic trophy. Now he will be in recovery for a very long time.

how do you know if its worth it?

ever heard of goldmans dilemma

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »
Goldman's dilemma, or the Goldman dilemma, is a question that was posed to elite athletes by physician, osteopath and publicist Robert M. Goldman, asking whether they would take a drug that would guarantee them overwhelming success in sport, but cause them to die after five years. In his research, as in previous research by Mirkin, approximately half the athletes responded that they would take the drug

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 11:47:12 AM »
Goldman's dilemma, or the Goldman dilemma, is a question that was posed to elite athletes by physician, osteopath and publicist Robert M. Goldman, asking whether they would take a drug that would guarantee them overwhelming success in sport, but cause them to die after five years. In his research, as in previous research by Mirkin, approximately half the athletes responded that they would take the drug

I've read about something like this before, but I didn't know there was a name attached to it.  Thanks for posting that.

I would assume the same question could be posed to poor/unhappy people about taking a pill that would make their life great for five years, and we'd likely end up with the same result if not a higher "yes" response.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 11:50:18 AM »
I've read about something like this before, but I didn't know there was a name attached to it.  Thanks for posting that.

I would assume the same question could be posed to poor/unhappy people about taking a pill that would make their life great for five years, and we'd likely end up with the same result if not a higher "yes" response.

there's been other studies since then where the no are nowhere that high.

but i think the takeaway is that for some of these obsessed athletes winning truely IS everything which might explain the level of risk etc they take.

an interesting question for getbig would be something like "if you were to become a getbig moderator and die 5 years later, would you?"  :D

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2019, 11:52:54 AM »
He looked very unstable under that weight when he took it off the pins.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2019, 12:16:48 PM »

x2. Why any average lifter squats is beyond me.  Too many people listening to fat asses online like Jason Blaha.  Daily stretching/pushups/pullups and a jog around the track for 30 minutes would yield 10 times more health for the average person rather than trying to "max out" on squats.